Does Quincy Jones get too much credit for producing Michael?

analogue

Proud Member
First of all i wanna say that Quincy Jones is a great producer but i do feel that he is given too much credit. Lots of people actually think that Quincy wrote all of songs on Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad and they say that MJ would be nothing without Quincy. Some people don't seem to understand that Quincy was working for MJ, not the other way around. For those three albums it was MJ who is in the drivers seat. Also if you listen to MJ's original Demo's for Off The Wall and Thriller you'll hear that there's not a big difference between those and the finished album versions. Quincy improved the songs a little but it was MJ's vision that outweighed Quincy's contribution. I wish that people would talk more about people like Rod Temperton who in my opinion is very underrated and don't get enough credit. He wrote some amazing songs for Michael like Off The Wall and The Lady In My Life

I feel that within the general public people kiss Quincy Jones's ass way to much. Quincy is a great producer but he isn't the be all and end all of Michael Jackson.

I have seen people claim that MJ didn't write his songs. There's so much ignorance out there regarding how much control Michael had over his art. That's why people (mistakenly) think Quincy wrote MJ's songs. They should educate themselves before making statements like that.

I don't think people want to "kiss Quincy's ass", they just try not to give credit to MJ....

When these people do read the album credits they always say ''Well Michael is so rich he can pay to have his credit on the song'' yes some people really are that stupid

When these people do read the album credits they always say ''Well Michael is so rich he can pay to have his credit on the song'' yes some people really are that stupid

Yes, people are stupid, but I didn't think they'd be THAT stupid. I think yes, QJ gets more credit of what he really deserves.

Pah-lease! :rolleyes2: If that was the case MJ would have MUCH MUCH more song-writing credits for his music than he already has. What about songs like Rock with you, Thriller, Human Nature, MITM, Butterflies, all the material from his Motown solo albums etc.? My point is MJ was gracious enough to accept and record songs written for him by other acclaimed writers over the years, so that above quote is nothing but horsehi!t and clutching at straws!

And yes I agree Quincy gets WAY too much credit. :glare:

I honestly have to say that I had never even heard the name Quincy Jones until he began to work with Michael Jackson. I think he and others have forgotten that Michael Jackson made Quincy...Quincy did not make MJ.

In my neck of the woods, no one believes that QJ wrote Michael's songs or made MJ. He is credited as an incredible producer for OTW, Thriller and Bad. That's it.

For those who haethe argument that without QJ Michael would be nothing - I quite happily point out the success Michael continued to have AFTER working with QJ and the fact that QJ was never able to 'make' another star of Michael's stature.

I honestly have to say that I had never even heard the name Quincy Jones until he began to work with Michael Jackson. I think he and others have forgotten that Michael Jackson made Quincy...Quincy did not make MJ.
Quincy Jones was well established before he ever met MJ. To say that MJ made Quincy Jones is a rediculous statement. Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad wouldn't have been the same without Quincy.

I don't think he gets too much credit, I think he credits himself way too much in interviews. He leads people to believe that he made Michael from the words out of his own mouth, if you ask Quincy he'll take a lot more credit for Thriller and BAD than he deserves.

I recall the documentary featuring an interview with Michael Boddicker. He said by the time Bad was being recorded, MJ and Quincy were working in two different studios, that Michael was really running the show at that point.

Obviously without sitting in on every studio session, nobody will know the real story. But I think Quincy served as a bit of a mentor to Michael in the beginning, helping him craft his sound for Off the Wall. After that, I'm sure Michael steered his albums in the direction he wanted, with input from Quincy, Bruce, and others.

I've never heard the stories that Michael didn't write the songs he's credited for (in the sense that Quincy was somehow involved). I firmly believe when the writing credits beneath the MJ song say (M. Jackson), damn it, it's Michael Jackson! (Blame it on the Boogie notwithstanding lol!)

Michael I think had great respect for Quincy. The chemistry on that team was dynamite. Having said that, it certainly doesn't give Quincy the right, in Michael's passing, to suddenly start boasting to the world that Michael wouldn't have been anything without him. I do think Michael would've found success without having Quincy as his producer.

Quincy Jones was well established before he ever met MJ. To say that MJ made Quincy Jones is a rediculous statement. Off The Wall, Thriller, and Bad wouldn't have been the same without Quincy.

I agree with what you say. But I think it's a case of some fans on this site using the wrong words with them saying it's Michael who made Quincy Jones.

Your right that Quincy Jones was very well established before he met Michael. He'd worked with Frank Sinatra, composed music for classic films like 'The Italian Job starring Michael Caine, many other things well known to the public before he produced 'Off The Wall'.

What is actually true, is that if it wasn't for Michael, most of the general public wouldn't even know who Quincy Jones was and most other pop stars and bands wouldn't consider Quincy Jones anything to do with popular music. Quincy was a already a very successful and credible musician and producer, but was largely and invisible presence and irrelevant in the world of pop music, despite having produced a No.1 single 'It's My Party' in the early 1960's.

Michael and Quincy both took a huge risk working with each other. People around Quincy thought it was a risk to work with a then teen idol like Michael, who many told Quincy that Michael was as big as he was going to get, or past his peak. Michael on the other hand to hired Quincy, had to fight with his record company CBS/Epic (now Sony/Epic) to hire Quincy. Because they felt Quincy was just a jazz and movie soundtrack musician and producer and new nothing about pop music. The fact that Michael came from the world of pop and soul music, and Quincy came from a jazz and movie soundtrack background enabled them to create a very unique sound on the albums they made together. The collaboration of Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, is very music like The Beatles and their producer George Martin, who like Quincy wasn't from a pop background.

I think people who don't know much about Michael's music or even recent fans who have grown up download music for free, and have never bought a CD with artwork and albums lyrics and credits, may possibly think Quincy Jones put the whole album together and Michael just sang the vocals. In early 2009 or so, some idiot called Huey (he's in his early 40's) from some crap band 'The Fun Lovin' Criminals' said when talking on some MTV show (which Thriller was voted the Greatest Album of All Time) that Quincy Jones put the whole album together, and Michael just came in and sang the vocals. There are some people who watched that, who will believe what he said. I've met people who are surprised Michael wrote, composed and arranged the majority of his most classic songs, and some are surprised he also co-produced the songs he write with Quincy.

This is really how the media spins things. Michael is always written about as an 'entertainer' who's creativity is on stage singing and dancing. Stars like Madonna, Alicia Keys, Beyonce and Lady Ga Ga are seen as songwriters and producers, just even someone like Alicia Keys hardly writes or producers any of her own songs without a huge team of songwriters (up to 5 per song) and producers. The media leave out that Michael was a songwriter, composer, arranger and producer, and technically very accomplished in the studio and didn't need a team to collaborate to create songs. Not enough has been written or said about Michael in the studio.

I would say Quincy Jones does get too much credit because when he talks about how he got all the musicians etc together, it can come across that the albums were his vision, because Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were Michael's projects and Michael's vision. Michael had the final say what songs would be on the album etc. Their is no denying that Quincy Jones role in Michael's albums, is very important. Quincy did in many respects put huge parts of Off The Wall and Thriller together. He brought in a lot of musicians (so did Michael, ie Greg Philinganes), and song writers like the amazing Rod Temperton. What Quincy did on Michael's albums was pure genius, but it was Michael's songs that made those albums and gave them an edge.

Michael and Quincy made each other with their collaboration on those albums. Michael has always stated who greatful he was to Quincy and how much he learned from Quincy. What is missed is that Quincy does give Michael all the credit he deserves, when you listen to him on the extras on the Special Editions of Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad, when he talks about how much he loves Michael's songwriting and says "Michael is an amazing songwriter, amazing" etc. Quincy also did say in the 2007 edition of Ebony Magazine, how Michael always thanks Quincy for producing him, but say's it's should be him who should thank Michael.

My issue with Quincy is the personal stuff he said about Michael, and the fact he's not always consistent when talking about working with Michael.

First of all i wanna say that Quincy Jones is a great producer but i do feel that he is given too much credit. Lots of people actually think that Quincy wrote all of songs on Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad and they say that MJ would be nothing without Quincy. Some people don't seem to understand that Quincy was working for MJ, not the other way around. For those three albums it was MJ who is in the drivers seat. Also if you listen to MJ's original Demo's for Off The Wall and Thriller you'll hear that there's not a big difference between those and the finished album versions. Quincy improved the songs a little but it was MJ's vision that outweighed Quincy's contribution. I wish that people would talk more about people like Rod Temperton who in my opinion is very underrated and don't get enough credit. He wrote some amazing songs for Michael like Off The Wall and The Lady In My Life

I feel that within the general public people kiss Quincy Jones's ass way to much. Quincy is a great producer but he isn't the be all and end all of Michael Jackson.

You took the freakin words right out of my mouth!!! Q is so full of himself! He acts as if he was the reason Michael was successful. Michael was already successful . He was an amazing child star, with lunch boxes, tv commercials, 1# singles etc. Michael moonwalked across the stage on Motown 25 and sealed the deal in history forever more. Michael's creativty, hard work ethic, drive, ambition and God given talent made him the success that he is/was.

HEY, Quincy!! wake the fudge up and get over yourself! You look bloated and pompus in interviews!

When Thriller was made Quincy didn't think that MJ deserved a co-producer credit so MJ had to settle with a co-producer credit on the inside sleeve of the album

Make of that what you will

I think the ammount of credit he gets is justified. Not too much, not too little.

I agree with what you say. But I think it's a case of some fans on this site using the wrong words with them saying it's Michael who made Quincy Jones.

Your right that Quincy Jones was very well established before he met Michael. He'd worked with Frank Sinatra, composed music for classic films like 'The Italian Job starring Michael Caine, many other things well known to the public before he produced 'Off The Wall'.

What is actually true, is that if it wasn't for Michael, most of the general public wouldn't even know who Quincy Jones was and most other pop stars and bands wouldn't consider Quincy Jones anything to do with popular music. Quincy was a already a very successful and credible musician and producer, but was largely and invisible presence and irrelevant in the world of pop music, despite having produced a No.1 single 'It's My Party' in the early 1960's.

Michael and Quincy both took a huge risk working with each other. People around Quincy thought it was a risk to work with a then teen idol like Michael, who many told Quincy that Michael was as big as he was going to get, or past his peak. Michael on the other hand to hired Quincy, had to fight with his record company CBS/Epic (now Sony/Epic) to hire Quincy. Because they felt Quincy was just a jazz and movie soundtrack musician and producer and new nothing about pop music. The fact that Michael came from the world of pop and soul music, and Quincy came from a jazz and movie soundtrack background enabled them to create a very unique sound on the albums they made together. The collaboration of Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones, is very music like The Beatles and their producer George Martin, who like Quincy wasn't from a pop background.

I think people who don't know much about Michael's music or even recent fans who have grown up download music for free, and have never bought a CD with artwork and albums lyrics and credits, may possibly think Quincy Jones put the whole album together and Michael just sang the vocals. In early 2009 or so, some idiot called Huey (he's in his early 40's) from some crap band 'The Fun Lovin' Criminals' said when talking on some MTV show (which Thriller was voted the Greatest Album of All Time) that Quincy Jones put the whole album together, and Michael just came in and sang the vocals. There are some people who watched that, who will believe what he said. I've met people who are surprised Michael wrote, composed and arranged the majority of his most classic songs, and some are surprised he also co-produced the songs he write with Quincy.

This is really how the media spins things. Michael is always written about as an 'entertainer' who's creativity is on stage singing and dancing. Stars like Madonna, Alicia Keys, Beyonce and Lady Ga Ga are seen as songwriters and producers, just even someone like Alicia Keys hardly writes or producers any of her own songs without a huge team of songwriters (up to 5 per song) and producers. The media leave out that Michael was a songwriter, composer, arranger and producer, and technically very accomplished in the studio and didn't need a team to collaborate to create songs. Not enough has been written or said about Michael in the studio.

I would say Quincy Jones does get too much credit because when he talks about how he got all the musicians etc together, it can come across that the albums were his vision, because Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were Michael's projects and Michael's vision. Michael had the final say what songs would be on the album etc. Their is no denying that Quincy Jones role in Michael's albums, is very important. Quincy did in many respects put huge parts of Off The Wall and Thriller together. He brought in a lot of musicians (so did Michael, ie Greg Philinganes), and song writers like the amazing Rod Temperton. What Quincy did on Michael's albums was pure genius, but it was Michael's songs that made those albums and gave them an edge.

Michael and Quincy made each other with their collaboration on those albums. Michael has always stated who greatful he was to Quincy and how much he learned from Quincy. What is missed is that Quincy does give Michael all the credit he deserves, when you listen to him on the extras on the Special Editions of Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad, when he talks about how much he loves Michael's songwriting and says "Michael is an amazing songwriter, amazing" etc. Quincy also did say in the 2007 edition of Ebony Magazine, how Michael always thanks Quincy for producing him, but say's it's should be him who should thank Michael.

My issue with Quincy is the personal stuff he said about Michael, and the fact he's not always consistent when talking about working with Michael.

Well put. My issue is not with Quincy when we talk about professional things (some of his other comments on Michael is a different thing). It's rather with how the media acts as if Michael never wrote songs, when, in fact most of his best songs were written by him (and most by him alone). Someone I know told me the other day how her musician friends said MJ was not a real musician because he didn't write his songs! That's such a commonly held myth it's unbelievable! How and why did it come to this?
I have also seen WATW being referenced to as a Lionel Richie-Quincy Jones song (with no mention of Michael)!

It's not Quincy's fault, of course (although he could maybe do more for putting these myths right), but it's no wonder it irks MJ fans when we read things like that and see that people believe Quincy Jones wrote Michael's music. In that sense, yes Quincy is getting way too much credit, after all he is credited with things he didn't do - and a lot of credit is taken away from Michael.

^^ OMG, yes, where is that performance from ??? It's awesome....

sorry, off topic :lol:

I got one thing to say.... To Much Credit To That Shit Thing QJ, he makes me sick !!! Talking bs about mj after he have died, He didn't deserve to work with him. That is how i think ! Sorry if I offended anyone :(

Last edited:
Back