does anyone else feel that...

BillieJean84

Proud Member
I dunno if this sounds stupid or not but ... as much of a fan of MJ's I am and have been for the past 24 years, I did not know MJ did not write and compose all his songs. For instance, Man in the Mirror has always been my #1 all time favorite song of Michael's. I come to find out just now that another person wrote and composed it.
(Siedah Garrett) This made me feel just a tad bit "disappointed" just because its such a great song that only a great artist can write- but he didnt.

Not that its a big deal or anything but shocking I guess. The same goes for YANA- R.Kelley did that not MJ but yet still a good song just not as 'effective' I guess.....:mello: :scratch:

there's no reason to feel disappointment about that. I have to say that i'm really proud of MJ because he wrote most of his songs, but he didn't write everything, that's true, but i don't we have to have a problem with that.

You could put it this way: It's like when you're in a group, most of the time 2, 3 or more members of that group cooperate to compose a song and nobody says "hey, the lead singer should compose everything they play"

Anyway, MJ have an amazing catalog.

Michael did write the majority of his songs (mostly his hit songs) and the songs he didn't write would be nothing without him. For example, Siedah's version of Man In The Mirror is beautiful but nobody can sing it like Michael. His version is so powerful and he really sings it from his heart. His vocals are also amazing in that song. He made that song what it is. Human Nature too. His vocals are so soothing and every time I hear him perform it or listen to the song, it's just so gorgeous. He sings it beautifully and, once again, nobody can sing that song the way he does.

However, I doubt there is an artist out there who 110% writes every piece of music they sing anyway. Every artist has at least a few songs in which they didn't write or co-write. Especially with bands. The lead singer of a band isn't always the one writing the songs. Other members write songs as well and the lead singer performs it. There are singers who didn't even write any of their songs (Elvis, Whitney Houston, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Celine Dion, Frank Sinatra).

Last edited:
Michael is a prolific songwriter and his most famous songs have been written by him. Billie Jean, Beat It, TWYMMF, Bad, etc were written by him. MITM wasn't but no songwriter just releases stuff that they wrote. Not all of The Beatles' songs were written by McCartney/Lennon or Harrison.

It makes me laugh when they have specials on about MJ, and they allways talk about Man In The Mirror and say 'MJ wrote a song called Man In The Mirror, and he was trying to change what he saw in the Mirror'. Little do they know that he didnt write it.

Or they do know that, but just expect that we wont know that, so they say it anyway.

I know how you feel, those two songs are one of my all time faves and are so Michael and I just can't accept the fact that he didn't write them.
but, imagine if Siedah or Kelly wrote those songs for someone else, they have never been performed as Michael performed them so.. there :)

there's more to writing a song than just writing the song. you have to have a presence and an x factor and be able to produce..exec produce and put your mark on a song. have you heard other people try to do Man In the Mirror? it's not the same. not even Garrett herself could help her own song. when MJ put his 2 cents in, that song was really born. have you heard the skeleton for You Are Not Alone? it was dismissed as elevator music. and the brothers who wrote it, dismissed it, themselves. they didn't have faith in it. but MJ saw something in it. R Kelly couldn't even do anything with it, by himself. but when MJ put his midas touch on..walaa

whoever claims the faith on the song and adds the x factor is the song's true final writer. others might get partial credit, but unless they launch it without him, MJ gets final credit. it really is MJ's x factor catalogue, whether he wrote or not. and that includes the Motown era.

I agree with 144,000.
It's the artist that brings the song to life. I have heard Siedah perform Man in the Mirror, and believe me, her version and Michael's version are worlds apart. It's just not the same, there is no magic like when Michael sings it.

The best Michael's songs have been composed by Michael himself, Man In The Mirror or Human Nature are the exceptions... But: Billie Jean, Who Is It, Beat It, Morphine, TDCAU, Earth Song, Heartbreak Hotel, Smooth Criminal... are such great tunes that Michael composed himself.

And even when he's not credited, he did give a contribution to the composition... So when he's credited alone or co-credited, it means that his work for the song was very very important!

Mj was a complete Genius in singing, dancing and creating! Mass medias forget always that he did was a great composer!

A true genius will use they're own ideas and a true genius will also be smart and humble enough to take ideas from other people

The best Michael's songs have been composed by Michael himself, Man In The Mirror or Human Nature are the exceptions...

These are my Top 2 favorite MJ songs/ballads, and I know that NOBODY could've done them better than Michael... so I could giva rat's ass on who "wrote" them. He brought those songs to life in his own very special and magical way... and as far as I'm concerned--they are his. NO other artist will be thought about first when these songs are played years and years from now--whoever decides to 'remake' them in the future. They have Michael's name written all over them, and they will FOREVER. Period.

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me at all. Michael has proven himself as a songwriter and a composer with many of the songs he helped create and it doesn't hurt that many of the songs he didn't write are some of the best in his catalog. I see it as the best of both worlds.

Back