Do you think Thriller could have had the same impact on sales....

AnnieRUOkay89

Proud Member
If it were commercially released with the outtake tracks, ie. Hot Street, Got The Hots, Trouble, Carousel? As opposed to the songs that were close to not making the cut, ie. Billie Jean, and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'?

To me, majority of the outtake songs I've heard I don't really adore, they're good songs, but they just have that typical 80's sound to them, and compared to the tracks that were on the album they're sort of weak. Which brings me back to my initial question, Do you think Thriller would have had an identical impact if they had replaced Billie Jean, WBSS, and PYT with Got The Hots, Carousel, and Nite Line?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm actually not sure. Obviously not because Michael knew what would have been hits. Obviously they weren't in his eyes.

Leave the Thriller LP alone! :p It's my favourite HAHA

no, I don't think it would have had the same impact. even though the outtakes are nice and I like them, I think the songs that were chosen are really timeless. They don't have this 80s feel about them, they are always modern.

I must say probably not...:scratch:

Although the best songs on Thriller are Michael's BJ, WBSS, Beat It and are ones of the best pop songs ever because there were revolutionary for those times, something like nobody wrote before.And I think that TGIM is also a very good and beautiful song.
The immense succes of Thriller the song is due more to the video.
All the songs on Thriller are beautiful, even the most underrated ones like BBM , TLIML.

Every time after I listen Thriller - the album I say WOW!

I strongly believe that Thriller the album is what it is due to Michael 98%.

So, who knows ?

Do not forget who was the one who didn't want BJ and WBSS on the album.

no, I don't think it would have had the same impact. even though the outtakes are nice and I like them, I think the songs that were chosen are really timeless. They don't have this 80s feel about them, they are always modern.

i agree, even though i think Hot Street should have made the final cut. :)

I must say probably not...:scratch:

Although the best songs on Thriller are Michael's BJ, WBSS, Beat It and are ones of the best pop songs ever because there were revolutionary for those times, something like nobody wrote before.And I think that TGIM is also a very good and beautiful song.
The immense succes of Thriller the song is due more to the video.
All the songs on Thriller are beautiful, even the most underrated ones like BBM , TLIML.

Every time after I listen Thriller - the album I say WOW!

I strongly believe that Thriller the album is what it is due to Michael 98%.

So, who knows ?

Do not forget who was the one who didn't want BJ and WBSS on the album.

I agree, it's definitely a timeless album, in terms of song after song, every song is a potential favorite of mine. Definitely one of a kind.

All of the songs have a unique sound to them, for the time period, it's just amazing how one could put together such a compilation of groundbreaking songs. And groundbreaking is something I just don't get when I listen to the outtakes.

And I believe it was Quincy Jones who didn't want Billie Jean on the album. As I learned a few days ago (thanks Birchey and Pompous), was that Michael didn't want WBSS on the album because he felt the song was too incomplete for him.

Personally, I don't think so. One of the biggest reasons the "Thriller" album was successful was Michael's performance of "Billie Jean" at Motown 25. The album reportedly sold an additional 30 million copies. Without songs like "Billie Jean", I don't think the album would be as successful at all.

No.

Thriller was - is - and will forever be a MASTERPIECE! every song is a timeless thriller.

I don't wanna be too harsh here, and this isn't an attack on the outakes because we love them. But imagine Michael doing the motown 25 performance, to nite line. In short if you did this i think the album would hugely fail, sales of around 5-10 million and the whole career of MJJ would have been completely differen't. If you removed WBSS, BJ and possibly another song, the album would be screwed, just because it would loose all it's commercial appeal and flow, i'm so thankful to this day that Michael fought to have Billie Jean on that album.

Back