Do You Think Billie Jean Is The Best Song Ever MJ or not MJ?

Is it Billie Jean the best song ever?

• Total voters

claudiadoina

Proud Member
Of all the songs of all times , sung by Michael or other artist, is it?

I think I'm not being subjective when I say I really believe it is.

If you think so please comment on it and if you don't name the song wich you think to be the best song ever.

Here is a quote from a book "The Resistible Demise Of MJ " on BJ

"BJ is not only one of the best singles ever recorded, it is one of the greatest art works of the twentieth century, a multi-leveled soun sculpture whose slinky, synthetic panther sheen still yields up previously unnoticed details and nuances nearly thirty years on."

Last edited:
Personally I find 'They Don't Care About Us' the best song of all time.

Billie Jean is definitely one of the most famous songs of all time... is a piece of art!

Billie Jean is good but there are a lot of MJ songs that I like:yes:

BJ is a great song, yes, but it's highly overrated at times. There is lots of better music out there, both by MJ and other artists.

BJ is a great song, yes, but it's highly overrated at times. There is lots of better music out there, both by MJ and other artists.

Probably, but I don't think so, but that's just me.

Remember that are many critics (not fans) who considered BJ to be a milestone in pop music, and they even split the pop era in before BJ and after BJ.

Billie Jean is definatley his best but there are many other great songs

Probably, but I don't think so, but that's just me.

Remember that are many critics (not fans) who considered BJ to be a milestone in pop music, and they even split the pop era in before BJ and after BJ.

Yes, it's a great song, and is probably a milestone in pop music. However, I still don't think it deserves all the praise that people give it.

Last edited:
It's definatly his most popular but his best? I don't think so. For me that honor goes to Who Is It

I also don't think that Billie Jean is overrated and i think it does deserve all the praise it get's. The real oveerated song (IMO) is Thriller

Last edited:
It's not my absolute favorite MJ song (impossible to choose one) but Billie Jean is one of the most fantastic, iconic records ever made and it deserves all the praise it gets and more! It is a stunning piece of art whether you prefer it or not. Fact.

What's so fantastic, iconic and stunning about it, if I may ask?

it really is one of the greatest songs of all time, no doubt about it. as a matter of fact, some years ago i read that CNN had conducted like a world-wide survey, a really big one, where the greatest song of all time was being voted. billie jean lost by very little to "like a rolling stone" by bob dylan, which i personally agree with.

it really is one of the greatest songs of all time, no doubt about it. as a matter of fact, some years ago i read that CNN had conducted like a world-wide survey, a really big one, where the greatest song of all time was being voted. billie jean lost by very little to "like a rolling stone" by bob dylan, which i personally agree with.

Well, exactly.....Even if someone doesn't really like Billie Jean that much, it doesn't change the fact that it's a brilliant record. Hence, the awards and recognition.

I personally think that Billie Jean is the greatest pop song ever.

It only takes a millisecond, and you'll instantly recognize the drums, the artist, the dance, everything. The song is a phenomenon in itself, a work of art that only a genius like Michael Jackson were able to create. It's one of those rare pieces of art where everything is perfect. The vocals, the drums, the beat, the bassline. It is in my opinion better than anything by The Beatles, Elvis or any other act from the 20/21st century.

Billie Jean is quite simply perfection :)

André89;3335412 said:

It only takes a millisecond, and you'll instantly recognize the drums, the artist, the dance, everything. The song is a phenomenon in itself, a work of art that only a genius like Michael Jackson were able to create. It's one of those rare pieces of art where everything is perfect. The vocals, the drums, the beat, the bassline. It is in my opinion better than anything by The Beatles, Elvis or any other act from the 20/21st century.

agreed.

André89;3335412 said:

:clapping:
I couldn't say it better myself.
That's the answer I expected.

So it starts. From beat 1, bass drum, but not just any bass drum, that bass drum (filled to the brim with all sorts of modifications) belongs to Billie Jean, beat 2, we have an even more iconic snare drum, production perfection, and so genius as to have faith in the simplest beat around. By beat 3 we now know the beat, minus a few basic but incredibly tastefull fills later in the record. The beat is so simple, but so intriguing, begging for more. The high hat gently taps the quavers, but mixed to a level so quiet it's disguised by the bass and snare, but simply adding to that sonic perfection that Billie Jean masters like no other. After bar 1 most people already know what this record is, and if you're a hardcore MJ fan, you know by beat 1, yes that's just 0.5 seconds into the track. After just 2 bars, the composition reaches another level as the bass enters. Played on the yamaha bass by Louis Johnson the line moves in quavers in the key of F#minor, the notes rise and fall, giving a true feeling of circularity and looping. It also hits the F# on the first and fourth quaver of the bar, creating a sycopated feel. Everytime it does this a synth bass doubles the note to emphasize that rhythm, no doubt subconciously affecting a new listener to the track allowing the synth chords later on to take the listener to the next level, as sneakily, they have already been introduced to that rhythm without possibly being aware of it through the emphasis on the F#'s in the bassline. After 12 seconds a shaker is added to the groove, to spice up the flavour and to give a sense of building, this will bring out the dancer inside you and the quaver motion in the shaker and high hat further strenghtens the movement in the bassline. After 10 bars, the chords enter played on the synth. These are F#min, G#min and Amajor, all three played in 1st inversion. They are hit on the first and fourth quavers of the bar, something you will notice is on these same beats F# is played in the bass, and this movement creates a harmonically interesting features of the whole intro being dragged backwards by the note F#. This restrain is cleaver and will also create dark tension around the dance groove, as most other dance tracks do not do this, this may be a reason Billie Jean creates a feeling like no other. At 29 seconds (after 14 bars) the voice of Michael Jackson enters it's own groove, it's important to note that whilst Michael's voice in came in after 14 bars, Michael Jackson entered the track from beat 1. From this point onwards, history is made, no more needs to be said. The intro lasts throughout the whole song, as more layers are added and added, this is to keep that energy going, and to stop the groove drying up. I could write an essay for hours on this song, it is incredibly cleaver, and a testament to all the work Michael put into this career.

I love Billie Jean, but it's my least favourite song off Thriller. I think that's because I've heard it soooo much. Regardless, when I go out and they play it at clubs, I freak out because it's MJ haha

Its one of my favourites but I would not say its "The best MJ song ever".

The thing about BJ is that it has the whole package.
The music, the lyrics, and even the dance are brilliant.
I think it's one of the greatest single ever.

But I don't think it's the best song from MJ.

André89;3335412 said:

Great post. I agree :clapping:
14e48zd.jpg

So it starts. From beat 1, bass drum, but not just any bass drum, that bass drum (filled to the brim with all sorts of modifications) belongs to Billie Jean, beat 2, we have an even more iconic snare drum, production perfection, and so genius as to have faith in the simplest beat around. By beat 3 we now know the beat, minus a few basic but incredibly tastefull fills later in the record. The beat is so simple, but so intriguing, begging for more. The high hat gently taps the quavers, but mixed to a level so quiet it's disguised by the bass and snare, but simply adding to that sonic perfection that Billie Jean masters like no other. After bar 1 most people already know what this record is, and if you're a hardcore MJ fan, you know by beat 1, yes that's just 0.5 seconds into the track. After just 2 bars, the composition reaches another level as the bass enters. Played on the yamaha bass by Louis Johnson the line moves in quavers in the key of F#minor, the notes rise and fall, giving a true feeling of circularity and looping. It also hits the F# on the first and fourth quaver of the bar, creating a sycopated feel. Everytime it does this a synth bass doubles the note to emphasize that rhythm, no doubt subconciously affecting a new listener to the track allowing the synth chords later on to take the listener to the next level, as sneakily, they have already been introduced to that rhythm without possibly being aware of it through the emphasis on the F#'s in the bassline. After 12 seconds a shaker is added to the groove, to spice up the flavour and to give a sense of building, this will bring out the dancer inside you and the quaver motion in the shaker and high hat further strenghtens the movement in the bassline. After 10 bars, the chords enter played on the synth. These are F#min, G#min and Amajor, all three played in 1st inversion. They are hit on the first and fourth quavers of the bar, something you will notice is on these same beats F# is played in the bass, and this movement creates a harmonically interesting features of the whole intro being dragged backwards by the note F#. This restrain is cleaver and will also create dark tension around the dance groove, as most other dance tracks do not do this, this may be a reason Billie Jean creates a feeling like no other. At 29 seconds (after 14 bars) the voice of Michael Jackson enters it's own groove, it's important to note that whilst Michael's voice in came in after 14 bars, Michael Jackson entered the track from beat 1. From this point onwards, history is made, no more needs to be said. The intro lasts throughout the whole song, as more layers are added and added, this is to keep that energy going, and to stop the groove drying up. I could write an essay for hours on this song, it is incredibly cleaver, and a testament to all the work Michael put into this career.

Wow, thank you for such an insightful review.

So, may i presume that your answer is... yes?!!:winking2:

I don't have a favorite song ever from him, but more, but 'Billie Jean', although perfect, is not my favorite one. To me, it's just a really good song, able to weave drama and passion and conviction and rhythm in a cocktail that is still fresh today. I may have heard it too many times, which is why I may feel it's also overrated. But brilliant piece is it. ..

Back