Do you remember when and how you first became a Michael Jackson fan?

Drama Queen

Proud Member
I certainly do. I was about 9 or 10, and I'd heard of him many times, but I'd never heard his music. One day, on Channel 5 (UK) advertised an uncoming documentary called Michael Jackson's Face. Out of curiosity, I watched it. Of course, it was mostly about his face/surgeries/troubles, but also showed many of his videos, most successful performances, and achievements. Overall,. I'd say it wasn't the post positive documentary about him. However, days later, I had the HIStory double album, and he quickly became my favourite.

Living With Michael Jackson aired shortly after. Even at a young age, I didn't trust Martin Bashir, and had a sinking feeling that he couldn't be trusted (my suspicion was confirmed shortly after). It didn't faze me, and over the years, I continued to buy his albums and support him, and Michael Jackson remained my favourite. I'm 20 now, and that hasn't changed.

During the trial, I thought that he was a real inspiration to put on a smile and a brave face in front of the whole world, even though he must have been terrified. Every single day, he remained composed and strong, and it just astounded me how brave he was.

Last edited:
I think i was about 7 or 8 and my dad bought me the "Bad" tape and i just became obsessed :) ..and as i got older his music got me thru very hard times-his music is magical.

Ok im showing my age here but i was 9 or10 back in early 70s when ABC came out and i begged for and got my very own 45 single record and i played it over and over and over.

I very much remember loving The Jackson 5 and not liking The Osmonds. lol
I especially loved J-5 cartoon as a kid. I wanted the lunch box so bad but never got one : (
Michael was always my favorite. Kiddy crush at first but by Off The Wall Mike was grown and i was like DAY-YUMMM ; }

In 2001, before the release of Invincible, "You Rock My World" was just released as an official single. I was 11 I think. And it happened :giggle: I couldn't stop watching that video, I was/am mesmerized.

I first became a fan two or three years before he died. I had known of his legendary rep for many years before but never took the time to check him out. My music tastes grew and I borrowed Thriller to make a copy for myself. I listened over and over until I needed more. At the time of his sudden death I was just becoming a big fan.

I don't remember exactly but I remember getting the Greatest Hits: HIStory, Volume I cd from my mum back in late 2001/early 2002. I also had the Invincible cassette (which I tried playing once and didn't get it working, I don't know where it is any more). I loved the song The Way You Make Me Feel (for the "I'll be working nine to five" lyrics) and actually played it to a girl (I didn't know about the music video yet). I bought the Bad Special Edition CD (I wish I took better care of it because it had the slipcase). I remember seeing the 30th Anniversary concert on TV and waiting for the moonwalk. Then I got the Number Ones CD & DVD for Christmas.

But I didn't become a true diehard fan until I bought Thriller 25 and watched the Motown 25 performance when I got mesmerised (I had given Michael's music a break because of the trial, not that I believed it).

Hmm, well, I was 13 I believe. I had next to no knowledge about Michael Jackson except for the fact that he was a legendary musician and, of course, his 'accusations.' Hmm, I'mma have to dig back in some of my archived writing. My memory is failing me.

Ah, here we go!
I used to go to an overnight summer camp that had a very extravagant (and sweaty) dance every week. Without fail, they always played Thriller. The camp counselors would choreograph the iconic dance amongst themselves, then perform and sing along.
I hate it when I don't know the lyrics to a song that everyone else seems to know, so when I got home, I put all the songs that were played at the dance on my black iPod classic (R.I.P Buddy Sr), including Thriller.
Needless to say, I was enamored with everything about the song, and played it over and over until the lyrics were repeating in my head day in and day out. It was the only song I ever played for months on end, until I got curious about this man's other music.

I looked him up on Youtube, and found the HIStory performance of Smooth Criminal in Munich. That's when I saw the extreme talent that was Michael Jackson; the moves, the vocals, the mass amounts of fans that were clustered like spawning salmon. I was enticed. I bought all his albums and my mom surprised me by bringing home video tapes (that's right, VHSs) of his music videos.

I would always say to my mom that I wish I had been born in or before the 80's, and Michael sealed that wish. It's sad to say that I had hardly been a full-on fan for more than a year when he died, which hit me pretty hard. My family said I had never acted the way I did during the time of grief. I was apparently "an emotionless zombie" for quite some time, obviously from the sheer shock.

When I was 9 My sister always played the Thriller album non stop when it was released, I remember when it came out there was a huge poster that came with it and was on our bedroom wall :heart:

Bad was released and my mum played that and MTV showed a lot of specials that we were always glued to, everything got recorded.. Mum got tickets for the Bad tour at Wembley stadium when I was 14 and that's when I truly feel head over heels lol :wub:

Oh God yes...I was 12 years it was like a lightning that swept everything about me.
His beauty was dazzling, kidnapped me, besides his dancing, his wonderful voice .. But then .. When I discovered the wonderful soul of Michael, the meaning of the lyrics of his songs and all the love he had in his heart, his soul, noble and gentle, well,! .. It was eternal love, Michael and' become like a faith, the light for me.
I remember with the dictionary in hand, instead of studying, translating word for word every text.
It was magic and fall in love with Michael, was a divine power for me to love Michael and spend 23 years of my life step by step through his life.
My life still stuck at 29 June 2009 as one of MJ was stopped by the murderous hand of those who do not deserve to live them for what they did to Michael.

I miss you Michael, I thank God every single day to be a favorite for having been understood and have loved having you.
I will love you forever Michael Jackson... Forever my light of life.

WOW, wonderful stories :wub:

Mine begins in October 1982... I heard this intriguing voice on the radio "The girl is mine" and I thought hmmm who is this? "Michael Jackson" ;)
I was really intrigued as it felt like there was a 'connection' though I never heard of him at the age of 10...

Then, I read an article in our TV guide titled 'Angel of pop'... The BIO story and the piccies were really cool so I asked my mum if I could watch TOP 30, a local music program...

I was the kind of girl before I 'met' Michael that was NOT interested in anything... I had no hobbies... I was too quiet...

Anyway, Beat it came on and it was indeed like 'lightening' ;) I call it 'love at first sight' as when I still watch Beat it these days, 30 years later, I still feel the same butterflies growing in my belly :wub:

So, my mum was glad I had finally found something that 'caught' my eye... The Thriller cassette was the first thing I got from my aunt and then the 'collecting' stuff started... I had finally found "a hobby" ...

Then in '84, my God mother passed away suddenly and my grandma 'presented' Michael to me as 'a friend in need' and Michael has always been my 'friend in need'
He's the ONLY ONE that can really sooth me and make me feel SAVE...

I always say I'm NOT 40 this year... I'm ONLY 30 in a few months as Michael made me 'come alive'...

Thanks sweetheart...

Back