• yes totally !

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • noo wayy !

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • its ok, i dont mind it .

Votes: 10 40.0%

• Total voters
I just honestly love Michael's performance over all! :heart:
The rest of the movie is absolutely horrible. Terrible acting for the rest of the cast, poor story, it has the worst special effects and make up I've ever seen! :S

I just watch it because of the songs Michael sings and his dialogues!

Hi There :ciao:i totally love this film Michael is amazing in this i would have loved to have danced the scene up the yellow brick road with Michael, such fun:jump:, i must say diana ross always makes me cry in that final song she sings its awesome:bow: , i love motown music so yes i love this film :yes:

I Love The WIZ, I watched the FULL movie only twice but the rest of the time, I had to forward it until Michael's part (You cant win)! The first part with Diana Ross is just tooo darn long and I cant watch it… :/ But other than that, Wonderful Movie!

L.o.v.e.
Romi

The dancing of Michael and Diana in it is top of the bill too (besides their singing). It's like their bodies are made out of elastic. They can do just anything.

It's a joy to watch.

Uhm, I had to go with It's ok. I don't love it because it's obviously not the best in terms of quality or even dialogues or story. But I believe, not being biased, that Michael was the best by far. He nailed the scarecrow and it's mainly because he made it different, groovy and funky. I love that, and Ease on Down is just perfect.

Am i the only one who thought the scene where Michael was stuck on that pole and the crows were making fun of him was really sad? I really felt sorry for Michael in that scene

Uhm, I had to go with It's ok. I don't love it because it's obviously not the best in terms of quality or even dialogues or story. But I believe, not being biased, that Michael was the best by far. He nailed the scarecrow and it's mainly because he made it different, groovy and funky. I love that, and Ease on Down is just perfect.

I believe we're not being biased in here. Even the critics agreed it was a failure that couldn't recover the $24 millions budget and made in the box office $13,600 millions.

Critical reception

Critics panned The Wiz upon its October 1978 release. Many reviewers directed their criticism at Diana Ross, who they believed was too old to play Dorothy (I totally agree, she didn't look like a young girl at all.) Most agreed that what had worked so successfully on stage simply didn't translate well to the screen. Hischak's Through the Screen Door: What Happened to the Broadway Musical When It Went to Hollywood criticized "Joel Schumacher's cockamamy screenplay," and called "Believe in Yourself" the score's weakest song. He described Diana Ross's portrayal of Dorothy as: "cold, neurotic and oddly unattractive" (I agree with the bolded parts I made;) and noted that the film was "a critical and box office bust." In his work History of the American Cinema, Harpole characterized the film as "one of the decade's biggest failures," and, "the year's biggest musical flop." The Grove Book of Hollywood noted that "the picture finished off Diana Ross's screen career," as the film was Ross's final theatrical feature. In his book Blockbuster, Tom Shone referred to The Wiz as "expensive crud." In the book Mr. and Mrs. Hollywood, the author criticized the script, noting, "The Wiz was too scary for children, and too silly for adults." Ray Bolger,who played the Scarecrow in the 1939 The Wizard of Oz film, did not think highly of The Wiz, stating, "The Wiz is overblown and will never have the universal appeal [the 1939 film] has obtained."
Michael Jackson's performance as the Scarecrow was one of the only positively reviewed elements of the film, with critics noting that Jackson possessed "genuine acting talent" and "provided the only genuinely memorable moments." (I couldn't agree more, totally true.)

If The Wiz was a good movie, it hadn't had such negative critiques and it'd had made even more money at the box office! Michael is the only gem of it! I don't get why Michael didn't have more acting opportunities, he's not a bad actor at all, no matter what some people have said like J. Randy Taraborrelli. "Janet has what Michael is lacking, acting skills." :wtf2:

I've started to dislike J.Randy Taraborrelli more and more.. for some reason. I used to be ok with him but now not so much.. and well, It's clear The Wiz isn't a great or even good movie.. like that article said it was too scary for children and too silly for adults. I totally agree with the reviews on Diana Ross.. but of course Michael's portrayal is the best thing by far, he really was a good actor and I'm glad other people outside the fandom noticed. Thriller, Bad, Ghosts, Captain EO, and of course The Wiz are proof of that.

I totally agree on what you said Irma but my point was that he didn't receive much acting roles, he had to create them for himself. I really believe racism played a key part on it.
Madonna is absolutely dreadful "actress" and she's made more movies than Michael! :ninja: In the case of Janet, I've only seen her latest movies (the movie with Tupac Shakur bored me,) Dr, Doolitle " wasn't bad but not memorable...

Right, of course he had to. And of course racism was key sadly.. but we don't know if before the Wiz he had offers for roles in movies/tv shows. He had only done those sketches on the Jackson Family show when he was younger, and they were kinda funny and good. LOL.

I remember reading on Moonwalk doing that show/sketches was a mistake for him because he thought it didn't make him grow as an actor. Probably he had similar offers and didn't accept them...

He was the best of that show, I remember watching on TV that song he sang with Roberta Flack and the version of Fred Astaire's song "Stepping Out With My Baby" looking, dancing and singing SOOO ADORABLY! :girl_aww: :girl_love:

Michael: will I be on? the moon? You Moonwalked indeed Mikey! lol

Like Fred himself said, A hell of a dancer!

Yes I read Moonwalker too and that part made me go, wow you really didn't enjoy doing those but then again I can understand why, and he explained it too. Still he was pretty good and although he did think it was a mistake I don't feel like that myself. :girl_love:

wiz.jpg

The Best Dancing Scarecrow i've EVER Seen :)

MimiJakMJJThe_Wiz_-_On_the_set_1978.jpg

:dancin:^

I totally :heart: The Wiz

It was the first movie I saw of MIchael when I was only 13 and I was hooked...
Whenever I was sad, I put this movie on and there came the smiles :D

Michael is PERFECT as Scarecrow :bow:

tumblr_ls1m4xGXJL1qlrmr3o1_500.jpg

Please don't make me laugh and crack my make-up

:laugh: Must've been SO hard for him to control his giggle fits! aww :heart:

One of the most boooooring movies ever. :thumbdown:
And it goes for 3 hours. I only watched once and only till EDTR. i dont intend to watch ever. I really felt sorry for loosing my time. It makes me realize, that life is to short.

Back