Do u think mj helped make hats to be a fashion trend?

Darvon1982

Proud Member
I think he has. As I was looking around in the stores, so many hats reminded me of MJ. Even the clothing... I seen a shirt with a zipper across it. Did the BEAT IT Jacket inspire that?

.. If we already have a fashion trend thread, I'm sorry about that.

Definitely.

Everytime I see a fedora, I think about Michael.

I know Old Hollywood wore it first BUT Michael brought it back especially as an artist. And now it's quintessential for every R&B and Pop male artist to wear a fedora.

Michael influenced the fashion industry and pop culture more than we know.

Everytime, I see military jackets, sparkles and sequins, tight skinny jean pants, loafers, I associate it all with Michael. And Military designs, Raybans, leather jackets, and sequins are quite popular now. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Oh goodness yes. This year I've seen lots of sequin black jackets and waistcoats everywhere. Every single shop has donned their mannequins with the black sequin jacket, white t-shirt and fedora. Now who had that look I wonder! My brother once wore white socks with some black trousers that were too short for him as that was the only clean pair. When he got to work his workmates asked him why he was 'dressing like Michael Jackson' just by wearing white socks and black trousers!

Definitely.

Everytime I see a fedora, I think about Michael.

I know Old Hollywood wore it first BUT Michael brought it back especially as an artist. And now it's quintessential for every R&B and Pop male artist to wear a fedora.

Michael influenced the fashion industry and pop culture more than we know.

Everytime, I see military jackets, sparkles and sequins, tight skinny jean pants, loafers, I associate it all with Michael. And Military designs, Raybans, leather jackets, and sequins are quite popular now. Coincidence? I don't think so.

don't want to sound picky but mosr artists nowadays wear trilbys not fedoras :)

No.

Michael's look was inspired by 1920s-1940s Hollywood.

He possibly helped to revive the trend, but he certainly didn't create it.

No.

Michael's look was inspired by 1920s-1940s Hollywood.

He possibly helped to revive the trend, but he certainly didn't create it.

No one here said he created the fedora hat as a fashion accessory.

He definitely made it trendy in the 80's. And it's been fashionable ever since!

When someone says fedora hat, who's name would first come to mind? Most likely MJ!

But he definitely created his own fashion with the glittery jacket, glove, penny loafers, sparkles and sequines etc.

Well Aviators and Wayfarers are the hottest sunglasses style right now. I noticed this ever since after MJ's death and people just saw soo many tribute programs where MJ is often seen wearing these particular styles.

When someone says fedora hat, who's name would first come to mind? Most likely MJ!

franksinatrabio1x.jpg

sinatrastampnarrowweb30.jpg

happy0039u.gif

that clip of lil' Mike singing Frank with that fedora hat he wore and then him flicking it with his finger was only the start!
one of my favorite things is him pushing his hat forward, then pushed it back while performing and then tossing his hat to the audience. that hat was apart of him. he brought some classic male retro dressing back to modern times with those shoes, high pants, not only those famous sequin shiny-zippers-buckles-letterman-military he's known for.
his fashion really was everywhere.

they don't call it the "billie jean hat" for nothing over here ;) I've heard people use that term instead of "fedora" for years now. :D

Wearing fedoras died out in the 60's when Beatles and "Flower Power" became popular.

Michael made them trendy again in the Motown 25th Anniversary and then the Victory Tour.

I mean we've seen Madonna, Britney Spears, Bono and Neyo wear them.

Definitely...
Michael Jackson understood the power of costume on and off the stage -- and even in court. :D His influence was everywhere on the runway this past season, in the crystal-dusted jackets at Balmain, Givenchy's gold-studded jackets and the sequined gloves at Louis Vuitton. It has always been this way during his history tour you could see so many designers going MJ style even when Invincible came out. There are so many pictures where people say MJ is wearing women’s clothes but it was actually his own designs he was giving the designers ideas many of the top designers. :yes: His sequined white glove and fedora hat are just two of the many accessories that made him a fashion icon for the ages. Michael Jackson's costumes were as iconic as his music. His Armband is a story for itself. :) Everything Michael Jackson did was ground breaking and demanded a mass following from colleagues and fans alike. Every artist from Chris Brown, to Usher, to Pharrell, to Beyonce has taken a page out of Michael’s big book of style.

funnily enough today I was talking to a friend of mine and i saw a guy wearing a fedora and he looked stupid and i was like "in my head they always look really cool on people but they never actually do." and my friend was like "yeah that's because you think of how cool MJ looks in one" so i guess he has made it the fashion!

Back