Do Not Fall For These Scams!

Karice

Proud Member
A male/female/ model(This guy named John from Nigeria scams Americans out of their money buy chatting them up by email and saying that he is either an aspiring male model to women, or an aspiring female model to men). John/Joanna then says that he/she was kidnapped in Nigeria and needs the American to give $500.00 to John in Nigeria in order for them to be set free. The American gives the money for someone who's not really a model, nor is really kidnapped, wasting 500.00. Bunk! And don't you believe it!

2. A "bank" calling you saying you owe a whole bunch of money. Just give them your social security number, and your case will be checked out(or something like that). DO NOT GIVE them your SS! These are scammers, who will ruin your life with your SS!Bunk! And don't you believe them! It' would be better to just hang up the phone and go to your own bank and let them check out your case for you.

^^As far as the Nigerian Bank scams go, the e-mails could be about anything really. Last summer I was absolutely flooded with these crock e-mails, and not just ones that claimed to be from Nigeria. The senders would have addresses like "U.K. LOTTERY PAYOUT," etc. I would get messages claiming that I had won money or sweepstakes from all different countries. There were also ones from specific individuals. Whether or not any of those names were legitimate people, I have no idea. Some of the messages that I actually opened to read were the most cockamamie stories you could imagine, that would end with a request for personal information so that I could receive money that I had inherited/won, etc. No matter what, NEVER EVER give out personal information when receiving e-mails like this, no matter how legitimate or professional they appear to be.

I say "professional," because last summer there was also a rash of e-mails being sent out that were supposedly from Robert Mueller of the FBI (U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation for those who don't know) telling recipients that they owed money. These too were fake and there was a notice on the the official FBI website warning of these scam e-mails.

I've received none in nearly a year, so I don't know if there has been a crackdown on them or what, but always be cautious when receiving these e-mails!

Just the standard spam emails, all you need is a bit of common sense to realise that they're phishing.

Did you know that it's actually illegal to get money from other countries in this way? You could be jailed for trying to get money like this overseas!:bugeyed You are NOT supposed to have overseas people deposit millions of dollars into your bank account!:bugeyed

People STILL fall for the "Nigerian" scams?! I know when they first started, a lot of people obviously fell for it. Now that they've got ages of bad rep, however, I would think the number of schmucks who fall for them would have drastically dwindled. >.>

I guess not! Just recently (sometime this year), one of my mum's friends told her about this guy from Nigeria who was a businessman and was "supposedly" building a bridge. He talked to her through email and sent pictures (all too good to be authentic, of course.) A week after exchanging emails, the dude told my mum's friend that the bridge he was building fell down and he needed a $1,000 loan to cover the costs of repair. Of course, my mum's friend isn't that stupid. She didn't believe him, but she played along while investigating him on the side. When she tracked the computer's physical location, she was surprised to see it belonged to some lady in the Phillippines.

Oh, and she met this "Nigerian" dude on a normal dating website too. Scary how far scams can go.

People STILL fall for the "Nigerian" scams?! I know when they first started, a lot of people obviously fell for it. Now that they've got ages of bad rep, however, I would think the number of schmucks who fall for them would have drastically dwindled. >.>

I guess not! Just recently (sometime this year), one of my mum's friends told her about this guy from Nigeria who was a businessman and was "supposedly" building a bridge. He talked to her through email and sent pictures (all too good to be authentic, of course.) A week after exchanging emails, the dude told my mum's friend that the bridge he was building fell down and he needed a $1,000 loan to cover the costs of repair. Of course, my mum's friend isn't that stupid. She didn't believe him, but she played along while investigating him on the side. When she tracked the computer's physical location, she was surprised to see it belonged to some lady in the Phillippines.

Oh, and she met this "Nigerian" dude on a normal dating website too. Scary how far scams can go.

Yes, people swtill fall for these scams, despite numerous warnings that they are scams. Sad and scary, isn't it? :(

There are Russians in on it too.

really? lol Never got russian spam, I guess they email to other countries to make it more believable. I sometimes get emails from US and UK saying I've some huge inheritance from my non-existant relative who passed away.

^Yeah, not in the same way as the Nigerians with the bank accounts, though. The Russians and some Africans claim to be "in love" with you, and come up with sob stories to attempt to get you to send them money, etc. A different kind of scam, but a scam nonetheless. There are some scams from the U.K. saying you've won the lottery, etc.

Scam Alert for Skype Users: Do not take anything seriously you receive regarding a virus on your computer, whether this message comes via skype chat or skype call. It is a scam. I just got one of these calls at about 1 am yesterday, from some random Skype name. It was a call saying my computer had a virus, etc. and that the affected systems were Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP (it doesn't even know my OS, great lol!) Anyway, it prompts you to visit a website to supposedly download something to fix the imaginary virus. I think it's common sense, but I'll say it anyway, DO NOT under any circumstances visit whatever website they link you to or tell you to go to. Skype cannot detect viruses, and the only virus alert you can trust is the one coming from whatever anti-virus program you use.

On the internet, a caught Scammer was asked in an interrogation room by Detectives if he had sympathy for his victims. The Scammer replied, "No. Why should I feel sorry for my victims? The victims are greedy people who already have lots of money, and want to get more. In my opinion, I'm glad to relieve them of their money just for them being so greedy. They've got to learn their lesson, and I'm glad to teach them it."

Note: This Scammer was talking about the fake Inheritance and fake Lottery scams, not the Sweetheart scam, where the victims generally think they are helping out the love of their life in financial need. Nor is he talking about the one where Scammers tell victims that they owe a bunch of money to their bank, and need to verify their personal ID so that the victim's case can be checked.

Back