Did MJ's vitiligo start getting worse during Victory Tour?

Horrorlover656

Proud Member
In some shows, he has light makeup. And other shows, dark.

This indicatea he was experimenting with his makeup to find the right tone to hide his skin disorder.

The first signs of his vitiligo disease (light skin parts) started to appear on him in the late '70s/early '80s, when he had to apply dark make-up on his (fewer) light skin parts.

During the Victory Tour, his vitiligo disease started to become more aggressive (with more light skin parts), much to the singer's frustration.

So, during that tour it was a period for him when he had to reverse his make-up habits, meaning he now found it more practical to begin using light make-up on his (fewer) dark skin parts.

I remember Michael was asked at one point, when exactly his vitiligo started...and he paused for a moment, almost as if he couldn't remember. To an observer like me, that meant he'd been fighting it for so long that the struggle had dominated his mind. When you're someone who lives in the public eye, and your chosen profession is defined by image, a severe skin disorder can wreck everything if enough people find out. Jermaine actually had vitiligo too, but he got treated and it went away. Sadly, Michael wasn't so fortunate - it spread like wildfire all over his body, to the point any area of his skin not shielded by clothing had to be covered by multiple layers of makeup. A few others have testified to this, saying they saw his true appearance where his skin was so transparent you could actually see his veins. Combined with his lupus and the constant pain he suffered, Michael's health was in sharp decline for over half his life.

Honestly, since it's well-established that MJ got a ton of plastic surgeries on his face because he was unhappy with the way he looked, I don't see why it's hard to believe he bleached his skin because he wanted to be lighter. He was bullied by his father for having dark skin and iirc, he envied LaToya for having light skin. That's not to say he didn't have vitiligo, but there's a chance he got it as a result of bleaching his skin too much. In a lot of communities, particularly the black community, light skin is coveted and many darker-skinned people apply creams on themselves to gain lighter skin.

MJ's skin didn't start to look white until 1992, anyway. During the Bad and early Dangerous era, he could still pass as a lighter-skinned black or mixed-race person, but he used makeup to appear lighter than he really was like in Captain EO and the Bad music video. The cover art for Bad was also photoshopped to make himself look lighter. In a telephone conversation, he said of the cover, "That was all airbrushed. I don't [actually] look that perfect". So, it seems to me that the Bad cover was MJ's ideal vision for how he wanted himself to look, seeing as he describes it as "perfect".

Jermaine actually had vitiligo too, but he got treated and it went away.

Even this site thought that was silly when they interviewed him: https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/exclusive-q-a-with-jermaine-jackson.200478

Last edited:
experimenting with makeup during Victory. His shirts and gloves were soiled in darker makeup once he took them off after every show but I'm guessing as time progressed, he began using lighter shades.

Honestly, since it's well-established that MJ got a ton of plastic surgeries on his face because he was unhappy with the way he looked, I don't see why it's hard to believe he bleached his skin because he wanted to be lighter. He was bullied by his father for having dark skin and iirc, he envied LaToya for having light skin. That's not to say he didn't have vitiligo, but there's a chance he got it as a result of bleaching his skin too much. In a lot of communities, particularly the black community, light skin is coveted and many darker-skinned people take stuff like skin-lightening creams to gain lighter skin.

MJ's skin didn't start to look white until 1992, anyway. During the Bad and early Dangerous era, he could still pass as a lighter-skinned black or mixed-race person, but he used makeup to appear lighter than he really was like in Captain EO and the Bad music video. The cover art for Bad was also photoshopped to make himself look lighter. In a telephone conversation, he said of the cover, "That was all airbrushed. I don't [actually] look that perfect". So, it seems to me that the Bad cover was MJ's ideal vision for how he wanted himself to look. He went out of his way to lighten his skin to achieve that look and got vitiligo as a result, so he had to make himself lighter than he wanted for an even skin tone.

Even this site thought that was silly when they interviewed him: https://www.mjjcommunity.com/threads/exclusive-q-a-with-jermaine-jackson.200478
Mj explained several times that he did not bleach his skin. Years after the vitiligo had progressed, he did use creams to lighten up the remaining darker areas.

using a skin lightener is bleaching
In context, it's still different then what the media was pushing. They assumed bleaching was the cause of his skin becoming lighter when in fact it was from vitiligo. Bleaching to even out the discoloration is a completely different situation.
Doubt it.

In context, it's still different then what the media was pushing. They assumed bleaching was the cause of his skin becoming lighter when in fact it was from vitiligo. Bleaching to even out the discoloration is a completely different situation.

Doubt it.

It's no different than what the media put out there. I'm a huge Michael fan but I can't say he was telling the truth and no matter how you flip it, Michael was bleaching.

Didn't he say during the Oprah interview "some time after Thriller" or something like that. Perhaps that's when Mike really remembers it truly affecting him?

I always noticed his lupus seemed to be prominent during the Victory Tour, in most close up shots his cheeks seem really red

It's no different than what the media put out there. I'
No there's difference. When u say MJ bleached intentionally his skin because he doesn't like to be black then u are lying, the real true that the "bleach" process was to accelerate the skin color to get a similar color = eliminate the dark spots. From the 1995s photos, we can see that the process was still there because he still had his old skin color as spots

I'm pretty sure MJ used dark cream to hide the white spots at that time. The makeup was something he liked to put regardless of the vitiligo.

Look here at Tokyo, 1992 vs 1984.

52077516_1717273519220301_r.jpeg
23d988b39a026a59c0de8495d767fac9.jpg
d4vth8x-6e17e8b3-0e3f-4245-9f3a-6df7bb30ac86.jpg

No there's difference. When u say MJ bleached intentionally his skin because he doesn't like to be black then u are lying, the real true that the "bleach" process was to accelerate the skin color to get a similar color = eliminate the dark spots. From the 1995s photos, we can see that the process was still there because he still had his old skin color as spots
At the end of the day, Michael was bleaching. That’s my point.

Normal, that's what he was adviced to do to speed up the process. It's like a person who has a cancer disease and decided to cut his hair since the beginning of the chemotherapy .
My original comment was in response to someone saying he didn't bleach and only used lightening cream, which IS bleaching.

I never said there was anything wrong with it as Michael was grown and did what he wanted. I don't think it's that serious.

Back