Did MJ really ask for Princes advice for a comeback

Dilan

Proud Member
A lot of people say this, but where is the proof? MJ never spoke about it and i'm pretty sure Prince hasn't, he doesn't talk about his private life and hasn't about this as far as i know. But in general would anyone really like to learn more about this friendship? It's just so secretive and private and I guess that is good that he has been a true friend but it wouldn't hurt to know some of the positive things MJ had said

Yeah I don't think either of them have ever confirmed that. I think it was confirmed though that they had a light rivalry of course, but not malicious - they respected each other so of course they want to do better than each other (but IMO, I actually think that was more on MJ's end as he has a more competitive spirit. I don't think Prince cared all that much lol)

I think I remember Prince talking about when he and MJ tried to work together on Bad. I remember this story (and I think it was Prince explaining it) , that he had came in the studio, and MJ was so excited about the collaboration and he just kept talking and talking and explaining what he wanted to do LOL...and Prince of course saw the first lyric "Your butt is mine" and turned it down lol

I think there's a rumor going around that MJ and his manager planted this rivalry between those two in the 80s ...and Bad was supposed to be the 'resolution' to that rivalry, with Prince playing Wesley Snipes' character.

But I dunno if it was planted. I think it makes sense for MJ to want to bet Prince and vice versa. LOL Doesn't that they hated each other - I definitely believe it was the opposite.

Last edited:
Ah, the 80s, lol! That "rivalry" sold a lot of records (for both) and was the best party theme to pack the nightclubs. :D Those parties were heavily promoted and a lot of budding DJs made their careers spinning/hosting "MJ vs Prince" weekends. I loved every minute of it, practically lived in the clubs, showing up in full MJ gear (with a splash of purple to rep Prince, too)!

The respect was mutual and Prince (like Mike) is a very private person, so he rarely spoke about their friendship. I plan on getting both of his albums he's releasing next month :woohoo: :D

ping pong

I remember one of The Revolution members (I think Wendy or Dr. Fink) mentioning Prince & Mike playing ping pong around the time they were filming Under The Cherry Moon. On the Gearslutz site, there was an engineer that said Prince came to one of the HIStory recording sessions, but that everyone was cleared from the room, so no one knew what they talked about.

Ah, the 80s, lol! That "rivalry" sold a lot of records (for both) and was the best party theme to pack the nightclubs. :D Those parties were heavily promoted and a lot of budding DJs made their careers spinning/hosting "MJ vs Prince" weekends. I loved every minute of it, practically lived in the clubs, showing up in full MJ gear (with a splash of purple to rep Prince, too)!

The respect was mutual and Prince (like Mike) is a very private person, so he rarely spoke about their friendship. I plan on getting both of his albums he's releasing next month :woohoo: :D

Pics or it did not happen. :timer:

Pics or it did not happen. :timer:

Oh, it happened, but I refuse to put myself on blast by posting my Jheri Curl pics. . . :hysterical: :crackingup: :rofl: :fear:

Interesting find: those dance parties continued to be a big draw long after the 80s-90s! This flyer is for one that was in New Orleans in May 2009. . .

MJvsPrinceNOLAMay2009RevThr2-eflyer_zpsb1c6a74f.jpg

Last edited:
Only thing i know is that they met again during the HIStory-Sessions in 1995.

Back