Did Michael sing YRMW completely live in MSG 2001?

Rudolf

Proud Member
I think he obviously sang it live. However, some bits sounded very close to studio recording. So, I can't decide now.
What do you think?

I was just listening to it and I think that the whole song was performed live.. However, I am not completely sure.

In various YouTube versions, for example this one:

The first verse is playback
The 'I searched for the perfect love...' adlib section is live
The adlibs during the chorus are live
The second verse is playback
Like after the first verse, the next section adlibs are live
The second chorus adlibs are again live
The bridge is playback
After that, the chorus repeats until the end. The adlibs are all live.

So really, all that was sung live were the adlibs :)

EDIT: It would be quite possible that the acapella overlay was added to the video footage in post-production (and so the television viewers would be hearing something slightly different to the live viewers) but it appears to be the same for the amateur recordings too.

Now that YRMW is out of the way, could someone please tell me if Beat It was live or lip-synched?

Now that YRMW is out of the way, could someone please tell me if Beat It was live or lip-synched?

Lip-synced. Only ending ad-libs live, like usual. Only difference is that playback acapella has lowered pitch.

Wasn't it live the first night?..Here's the vid.. ;)

[youtube]zDI8ZdxJLbA[/youtube]

Last edited:
"Beat It" was LIVE!! I'm almost positive of it!!! Actually so was "You Rock My World"... the thing is that he sang them live that night, but during video editing they mixed the audios between live and studio versions to make the vocals perfect and also to blend together the different videos used from both nights!

This is a method used quite alot in concert recordings these days... but it's a method I don't paticularly like, cause it makes it look like the artist is singing in playback when they are actually not!

"Beat It" was LIVE!! I'm almost positive of it!!! Actually so was "You Rock My World"... the thing is that he sang them live that night, but during video editing they mixed the audios between live and studio versions to make the vocals perfect and also to blend together the different videos used from both nights!

This is a method used quite alot in concert recordings these days... but it's a method I don't paticularly like, cause it makes it look like the artist is singing in playback when they are actually not!

Did you watch amateur versions? Beat It was clearly lip-synced.
And about YRMW Tom already explained

The bridge is playback

So really, all that was sung live were the adlibs

I did see amateur videos of the performance, and it looked clearly like it was live... to me anyways!

Sorry, it was not live. If you know how Michael sings live, you should have noticed it. It is easy to notice after he sings/lip-syncs first few lines ''come around here''. It is playback. Last time Michael sang Beat It live was in Royal Brunei 1996 and TII rehearsals.

Sorry, it was not live. If you know how Michael sings live, you should have noticed it. It is easy to notice after he sings/lip-syncs first few lines ''come around here''. It is playback. Last time Michael sang Beat It live was in Royal Brunei 1996 and TII rehearsals.

Michael also sang Beat It live during one of the HIStory Tour concert... I think it was Australia but I am not too sure.

Michael also sang Beat It live during one of the HIStory Tour concert... I think it was Australia but I am not too sure.

That was Sydney 1996. That's just one exception. Plus he didn't sing it fully live. Live starts approx in middle of song. At least I think so. First half of song is definately not live, and I wonder why people claims whole song is fully live.

The TV version of YRMW is from the second concert. All I know is that at the first concert it was live!!!

In various YouTube versions, for example this one:

The bridge is playback

So really, all that was sung live were the adlibs :)

EDIT: It would be quite possible that the acapella overlay was added to the video footage in post-production (and so the television viewers would be hearing something slightly different to the live viewers) but it appears to be the same for the amateur recordings too.

2:37-2:50.. My god it is still very impressive.

That was Sydney 1996. That's just one exception. Plus he didn't sing it fully live. Live starts approx in middle of song. At least I think so. First half of song is definately not live, and I wonder why people claims whole song is fully live.

I could have sworn somebody said that a Beat It performance in australia was fully live! Maybe is not from the Sydney concert we got because he just starts singing live after the guittar solo as he does in every other history tour concert.

Last edited:
I could have sworn somebody said that a Beat It performance for australia was fully live! Maybe is not from the Sydney concert we got because he just starts singing live after the guittar solo as he does in every history tour.

Michael did 2 concerts in Sydney during the HWT. The first Sydney concert on 14th November 1996 was where he sang Beat It fully live due to the malfunctioning of the playback. In the second Sydney concert, which took place two days later, he would lip-synch the song as usual.

This is the only clip from the performance, it's from a news report and isn't the full performance unfortunately...:(

Michael did 2 concerts in Sydney during the HWT. The first Sydney concert on 14th November 1996 was where he sang Beat It fully live due to the malfunctioning of the playback. In the second Sydney concert, which took place two days later, he would lip-synch the song as usual.

This is the only clip from the performance, it's from a news report and isn't the full performance unfortunately...:(

Exactly as i thought! Thank you for clearing up that!

yes, this is live ;)
I love how Michael sings live :D

Back