Did Michael make an offer for the "elephant man's" bones...?

Crisstti

Proud Member
I know he said he didn't. But in another forum someone said he had, I said he didn't, and he posted a link of an interview with David Edwards, chief administrator of the college where the bones were, and it seems he says Michael did make an offer... but I cannot quite understand what he says (my native language isn't English).

What do you think?.

http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertainment/music/clips/16930/

Yes, the guy in the interview says that Michael did make an offer. Even before hearing this, I've thought that it's likely that Michael did, but I wouldn't blame him for saying he didn't after the response of the press about it. To me it isn't weird at all...makes perfect sense actually. I think Michael identified with the way Joseph Merrick felt like an outcast, a "freak." Michael never would have exploited the bones; I would venture to guess that he probably felt more compassion for Joseph Merrick than anyone at the hospital where the bones are.

Yes, the guy in the interview says that Michael did make an offer. Even before hearing this, I've thought that it's likely that Michael did, but I wouldn't blame him for saying he didn't after the response of the press about it. To me it isn't weird at all...makes perfect sense actually. I think Michael identified with the way Joseph Merrick felt like an outcast, a "freak." Michael never would have exploited the bones; I would venture to guess that he probably felt more compassion for Joseph Merrick than anyone at the hospital where the bones are.

That is what I thought I heard :). Though I'm not sure if he really says that Michael made the offer to him or that he was present when he made it. But it does seem that it's to be understood that knows Michael made an offer, but not that he doubled it (and that that is something he has only heard in the press).

It's nonsense really, that people talk as if it'd be such a crazy thing.

Michael always said "don't believe it unless you hear it from me directly" . Michael said in the Oprah interview: "Where am I gonna put some bones?".........so if you want to go with that, then no.

Michael always said "don't believe it unless you hear it from me directly" . Michael said in the Oprah interview: "Where am I gonna put some bones?".........so if you want to go with that, then no.

Exactly what my response was gonna be, lol.

If my memory is not mistaken, in his book Taraborrelli said that he news about Michael making an offer was false but later as the story got so popular in the press etc he reportedly asked the people around him if it is actually possible for him to buy the bones and he was told they are not for sale.

MJ could have been just trying to see why people believed this story by asking people to check whether it was something that can happen in reality. It also explains the conflicting stories and how people might have thought he indeed planned to buy the bones.

perfect post..:clapping:.....this is just what I was gonna say..:)

Dutchie... my heroe. Always the right post!!!
Right answer!!
:clap: :clap:

What i find funny(not really) is that people tend to believe stories about Mike told by others instead of what he actually says. Hopefully they dont die with that IGNORANCE Instilled in them!

AND Even if he did, WHO THE HAKE Cares...IT IS HIS PRIVET LIFE And we GOT NO Rights WHATS SO EVER to poke in to it. He's his own Man and an amazing human being, and as a fan, I dont really care for that kinda stupid rumors...I know its tempting to give a piece of your mind when they talk about Michael in a bad way but I dont do that anymore...I Used to especially Last year. But now I dont even give them a second glance. They're NOT worth my time or anybody's time...let them think what they want...and as long as we know whats true...it dont matter if some dont...we out Number them...

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Last edited:
If my memory is not mistaken, in his book Taraborrelli said that he news about Michael making an offer was false but later as the story got so popular in the press etc he reportedly asked the people around him if it is actually possible for him to buy the bones and he was told they are not for sale.

MJ could have been just trying to see why people believed this story by asking people to check whether it was something that can happen in reality. It also explains the conflicting stories and how people might have thought he indeed planned to buy the bones.

That could have been the case.

The story was first planted by Michael's manager Frank Dileo, but when journalists began to call the museum to see it was true, they sad no, so Michael "had to" make an offer to make the story seem believable. He always wanted this mystique around him

In an interview Michael said that was false so I believe him :)

In an interview Michael said that was false so I believe him :)

Of course he would say that. The world and the media would say he was crazy if he said anything else. Did you really except any other answer from Michael on that one?

Even if he did, it wouldnt matter to me. lol I collect some bizarre things myself

he said he was intereted in the story because he coud relate to him so maybe he did make an offer.

Michael was a religious man, why would he buy bones from a dead man?

Michael was a religious man, why would he buy bones from a dead man?
you mean bones of a dead man. that's like saying michael was religious man, why did he maker thriller and ghost.these were just rumors and michael denied them so unless they have a reocrding of michael calling to make an offer it isn't fact. i heard years ago it was michael's people who started this rumor.

Of course he would say that. The world and the media would say he was crazy if he said anything else. Did you really except any other answer from Michael on that one?

Michael's always done what he wanted (and done some far more 'bizarre' things than placing a bid for some bones) so I don't see why he'd feel the need to 'lie' about something like this.

It's up to you what you want to believe but one would think that MICHAEL would know best what MICHAEL was up to. ;D

J Randy Taraborelli is hardly a credible source. Might as well buy a tabloid and take what they say as fact.

I stick with my earlier post; Michael said he didn't make an offer to buy the bones, so he didn't. End of discussion. :)

J Randy Taraborelli is hardly a credible source. Might as well buy a tabloid and take what they say as fact.

Didn't Michael endorse J Randy Taraborelli's book? Or am I mistaken?

I don't think this story is true because Michael said it wasn't. We got the answer from the horse's mouth.

Regarding Michael's "Where am I gonna put some bones" thing, I'm sure that honestly, he (as someone who loves Merrick's story) knows himself they're not just "some bones". If he got them, he'd probably put them up in a glass cabinet like museums do.

Didn't Michael endorse J Randy Taraborelli's book? Or am I mistaken?

I don't think this story is true because Michael said it wasn't. We got the answer from the horse's mouth.

Not that I know of.... :scratch:

There ya go :) I agree. :)

Am I the only one who doesnt find the idea of making an offer for his bones that weird?

If I had enough money, I would try and get my hands on anything like that. Id make my own museum.

Am I the only one who doesnt find the idea of making an offer for his bones that weird?

If I had enough money, I would try and get my hands on anything like that. Id make my own museum.
I wouldn't do it myself but I wouldn't have found it it weird if Michael had made an offer.

MJ always said that he never did and I have no reason not to believe him.

Personally I believe it was put out there by MJ's team. Then the press just got carried away with there rumours.

I actually can't say either way whether or not it was true, but even if it was I wouldn't hold it against him. He was very wealthy and he collected exotic things. If he had made an offer it's not like he was hurting anybody.

obviously not. somebody obviously made an offer. More than likely it's true that somebody out there owns them and probably has them on display.

Back