Did Michael listen extensively to his own songs?

Remington Steele

Proud Member
Since I could llisten to Michael's music all day (like probably most people here :smilerolleyes:) I wonder if Michael himself listened a lot to his songs at home, too.

I mean, it might seem strange but afterall he created the songs and seemed to love what he created. I wonder if after all those years he knew every detail of his songs by heart (like the fans).

I think I heard sometimes he danced to his music in his home. And since I saw MJ's kids singing his father songs, I think he listened his own music from time to time, but I don't think he did it a lot or all the time. We saw him forgetting his own lyrics :laugh:

I think he listened a lot when he was working on a song, because he was a perfectionist. But I do remember an interview where he said he didn't like it when he went out and the clubs would play his music just because he was there. He said something like "why would I want to listen to my own music?" or something lol

I think he listened a lot when he was working on a song, because he was a perfectionist. But I do remember an interview where he said he didn't like it when he went out and the clubs would play his music just because he was there. He said something like "why would I want to listen to my own music?" or something lol

Lol... hm now that you mentioned it, I think I read that, too a while ago.

Thinking about all the 100s of songs Michael has created, he probably really did move on once a song was finished and didn't take a look at his creation too often.

I thought that I remembered one interview in the 80ies where he was saying that he does listen to his own music, or classical music as well.

Listening very intently to one's own music is a good way to improve it, especially when still in the stages of tweaking the sounds towards the intended way it should feel. I can see him doing that.

exactly :yes:

When he had his children, I bet they bugged him to put in one of his CDs in the player. An artist listening to his or her own music sometimes helps them practice if they're scheduled to perform on stage the next day or night. *shrugs*

It's pretty impossible to avoid Michael's music, even a few years ago before the appreciation 'boom' :p I believe he listened to it for inspiration (as well as lots of the artists he looked up to), but didn't listen that regularly. That'd just be strange! ;)

I remember hearing that when ever Michael would work on a new album he would always listen to his previous albums to make sure that the new album still had that classic Michael Jackson feel to it.

What a cute thread :D

I remember on the MJ Megabox there was an 'interview' where they asked Michael all sorts of 'stupid' questions about his music... How many songs on that album? Name of songs and on which albums? Did you write or release that song?

Michael, bless him, his mind was in 'overdrive' trying so hard to give the 'right' answers! Though I was yelling the 'answers' to him... heehee :doh:

Michael did listen to his own music - how often is impossible to say. But he did have HIStory back to Thriller in his car when he was in London for the '96 Brits.

^^^The original source was fan stories of the Brits visit right outside his hotel before he went to his rehearsals in KING! mag.

Personally, I don´t believe MJ listened to his own music when he was going to listen to music. I highly doubt that, because who would do that?? Of course he listened to it when he was working on it and listened through it when he was finished with it. And he may have listened to it in advance before performances and tours to refresh the lyrics and so on. That´s fine, and done in a professional matter. But NO WAY I believe him sitting at home one evening and just go and put on Bad just to listening to himself singing. MJ was not that self digging IMHO. I think that if he wanted to listen to music he would put on James Brown, Beatles or some classical pieces.

But OF COURSE he had has albums around, and maybe also in the car, like on The Brits. But that doesn´t mean he was listening to it. But this is just my thoughts and guesses, I don´t know more than you :)

@Mr. Norway: But wasn't it said that Janet's AND his own music were playing on Neverland via loudspeakers?

Hm you might be right he didn't listen extensively to his songs, but don't you think he listened to it from time to time as he loved what he created? I mean, take "Black or white" as an example, IMO it's such a feel-good song, I could imagine Michael enjoyed listening to it.

I remember hearing that when ever Michael would work on a new album he would always listen to his previous albums to make sure that the new album still had that classic Michael Jackson feel to it.

Nah, I don't believe that. The songs have a Michael Jackson feel because HE created the songs. I really doubt he would have to listen to 'old' songs to remember how he did it :lol:

I don't think Michael listened much to his own music except when rehearsing or recording. In my opinion he taught Prince and Paris the song "The Lost Children" and "Heal the world" because of it's message. I do believe however that as she got a little older, Paris wanted to listen to his music. As we know now she's a big fan of her own father :yes:

I wonder if Paris and her brothers watched concerts from when MJ was young, e.g. the BAD tour... they must think "boy did our father rock" ^^...

Remington Steele;3296038 said:
@Mr. Norway: But wasn't it said that Janet's AND his own music were playing on Neverland via loudspeakers?

Hm you might be right he didn't listen extensively to his songs, but don't you think he listened to it from time to time as he loved what he created? I mean, take "Black or white" as an example, IMO it's such a feel-good song, I could imagine Michael enjoyed listening to it.

- No, I really cannot see why he would put on his own music at all except from when rehearsing to something or working with it. I mean, he knew what he had created aqnd knew it was great. But I can´t see any artist putting on their own music for entertainment. At least I would say that it would have been pretty self-digging and be very weird IMHO. And that´s not how MJ was according to the impression I have of him. I would rather think that he would do the opposite and be emberrassed if other people put on his music with him around.

As for the music on the speakers at Neverland I would assume that was for the kids and people who were there and not for himself. But I don´t know...

I reckon so, I reckon he was dancing to them like Billie Jean, but I have a feeling of Michael just suddenly stopping the song and saying how he could improve it as he was never always satisfied, will actually be funny to watch, see Michael suddenly dancing and then turning off the song and saying how he improve it, even though it doesn't need improving.

Back