Dick Zimmerman on Michael Jackson, Thriller, etc...

ItsALLforLOVE

Proud Member
There was a post in the 2007 archives similar but it seems like Dick might have updated the stories a bit since June 2009. A good read... and of course more reasons to love Michael the man.

http://www.dickzimmerman.com/index.php?page=stories&story=thriller

The Creation of the "Thriller" Album by Dick Zimmerman

Michael Jackson left behind the indelible footprint of a giant talent whose artistry changed the course of music history. He is mourned by millions in every country on earth, and he shall be sorely missed. And now that is silenced. We are left with his memory and fortunately with his music.

Throughout the years of 1982-1994, I had the unique privilege of having three exclusive portrait sittings with Michael. The first was the Thriller Album, the second was his narration the ET Album for Steven Spielberg. The third were the exclusive wedding portraits with he and Lisa Marie, that were eventually distributed world wide. During these years, I was very fortunate to have had some very personal conversations and came to know him on a level of intimacy that gave me insights into his character that impressed me deeply.
Michael Jackson was a brilliant, creative performing artist. We spent many private hours together creating and conversing during the years I worked with him. I am sharing these thoughts.

The First Meeting

When I first met Michael Jackson at a recording studio on Beverly Blvd. in Hollywood, he was three quarters through completing what would become the largest selling album in history. CBS records told me that there was another photographer in the running to do the project.

Michael wanted to personally meet both candidates before deciding who he wanted to work with on the album cover package. I now know, after having worked a substantial amount of time with Michael on other projects, that he needed someone who was at the top of his profession, wasn't egotistical, and was trustworthy and creative. Most importantly he needed someone who would treat him with delicacy and consideration, who wasn't threatening or offending.

My first impression of Michael as he slowly and carefully moved through the studio doors where our meeting would take place was that he was taller and thinner than I had expected. His hand shake was very delicate with hardly a squeeze, and I was very conscious to return the same.

As we talked, Michael would ask me questions in his gentle voice about my likes and dislikes. I could tell from the way that he posed his questions that I was being evaluated. That's when I first realized how important it was to Michael to work with the exact kind of person that would make him feel comfortable. Our meeting lasted about forty five minutes and we parted with a cordial good-bye.

The Call Back

Three days later I received a phone call from CBS Records saying that phase one was over and now Michael wanted to come to see my studio and look at the quality of my photographs. My studio entrance has a loud buzzer, but instead there was a very gentle knock at the door. Rather than have my secretary answer the door, I wanted to answer it myself. I wanted Michael to know that I was real and approachable and also wanted to avoid anything that may have had the potential of creating an uncomfortable situation for him.. Evidently I passed the test as I received confirmation two days later from CBS that Michael had selected me to do the honors, and the album shoot was scheduled to take place in two weeks.

My fee from CBS was to be $4,000.00 - which was very good back in 1982 (and just about top dollar for an album cover). During the next two weeks I had meetings with the creative heads from CBS and Freddie Demann, Michael's manager at that time. The purpose was to create a visual direction for the album that everyone agreed on. I presented various ideas that I wanted to execute which were all agreed upon.

Shoot Day

The day of the shoot arrive. I hired one of the best fashion stylists in LA to gather a large variety of wardrobe, and we began the arduous process of selecting attire for the cover and inside spread. After about an hour of weeding through the wardrobe, Michael couldn't find anything he was crazy about. I started to panic. His eyes lit up when he noticed the white suit that I was wearing. He said, "That's the look I like, do we have anything like that?" We didn't. Time was fleeting. I was concerned about having enough time to execute my cover ideas. I indicated that we were about the same height and build and if he would like to wear mine. That was exactly what he wanted. Fortunately for the session and the time involved, the suit fit like it was tailored for him.

We had decided prior to the session that Michael would have a tiger cub in the photograph so we had a selection for him to choose from. He loved a six week old cub but was very squeamish about letting it get to close to his face because of possible scratches. Throughout the session I had to get Michael to forget about getting scratched, and to focus his attention on me and my direction.

During breaks Michael would stand in front of a full length mirror and practice continual spins. I was privileged to get a personal preview of those legendary ones that are now so familiar to us all. He just would come alive in front of that mirror. It was fascinating, because he had such a shy and subdued manner throughout the photo session, but in front of that mirror, dancing, he was electric and that was the first time that I realized that I was witnessing something very special.
For lunch he ordered a special meal brought in from a vegetarian restaurant on 3rd Avenue, which was his favorite in town. In fact, a few months later Michael hired that chef as he personal cook for his home and his touring.

The photo session lasted about 6 hours with three different set-ups and no particular problems out of the ordinary. I was very impressed with Michael's diligence as had someone from his production company using a counter to count every click of the camera to make sure that he saw that every frame was presented to him once finished. This spoke elegantly as to his constant and detailed professionalism. At the days end, we said good-bye, and arranged to meet in a few days to go over the results.
About four days later the photos were ready and we met at the recording studio on Beverly Boulevard. Michael was in the middle of finishing up one of the tracts, so I set up my light table and spread out the transparencies so he could see them all at one time.

The Album Cover

Michael walked out of the studio into the reception area where my presentation was set up. He was in a very good mood. He looked over the transparencies and was very excited and pleased with what he saw. He said "There are so many good ones here, how can I ever make a decision?" He told me to hold on a minute, and then ran back into the studio. After a moment, he came back out with Quincy Jones, who was producing the album and was evidently very respected by Michael. Quincy took one look at the transparencies and with a confident smile, without any hesitation, pointed to one, and said "That's your cover, Michael!"
I was totally impressed by that decision as that was the fastest I have ever seen anyone select a final transparency for anything, and it was a good choice. Michael was extremely happy. Quincy was happy. CBS was happy. I was ecstatic, and judging by the fact that it is still the highest selling album in history, I can say without doubt that it was the correct choice and the world was happy." It has become an artistic icon. Who would have suspected that the click of the camera, 1/60th of a second, would create the unforgettable image it has become in history.

The following are a few of my personal thoughts and observations I would like to share. As having had the opportunity to be close to Michael during some very private discussions as we worked and conversed together off and on for those 12 years. I do feel that I have a sense of who he really was.

AT A RESTAURANT

Two or three months after the Thriller Album was released, it was number one on the charts and Michael was the number one celebrity in the music world. My wife Patty and I were in a restaurant in Hollywood having dinner. This particular restaurant is popular with celebrities and was Michael's favorite restaurant as it was mostly vegetarian.. Hollywood personalities are more aloof and very rarely go out of their way to issue a personal goodbye when leaving a restaurant. We noticed Michael was sitting far across this packed restaurant in a corner. I wanted to say hello, but I didn't want to bother him while he was eating.
About an hour into dinner, I felt a gentle little tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw it was Michael. Rather than exit through the door which was near his table across the room, he had wound his way through the packed tables to come to say hello! We shook hands and very sincerely, in his quiet, shy way, said, "Thank you for creating my very beautiful album cover." I was impressed that this man, the top celebrity of the period, had gone out of his way to cross that crowded room to personally thank me. All the eyes of the restaurant were on us, but I didn't care.

WEDDING PORTRAIT

Later on in the evening after I created the exclusive wedding portraits of Michael and Lisa, I went back to Donald Trump's suite at the Trump towers, where Michael and Lisa were staying. The purpose was to go over the photographs with Michael. It was about midnight, and the maid who let me in asked if I could wait a few minutes for Michael. About a half hour went by. I was walking around the dimly lit suite and waiting, and happened to notice that there was a man leaning on a column in the main living room. He had a moustache and a beard. He had been watching me the entire time. I figured that he was a security guard, and that I would ask him where Michael was and how long it would be. When I got about two feet from him, a slight smile came to his face followed by a huge laugh. It was Michael, wearing a disguise. He was enjoying just watching me. This gives you an idea of his practical joke and playful side.

ET

As Michael was hired by Steven Spielberg to narrate the ET story, Michael insisted that Steven also hire me to create the album cover and the inside poster. That evening after the session was over and the film developed I went over to meet with Michael to show him the results of our co-create. It was about one in the morning. Michael opened up a bottle of wine for him and I. After going over the film and after he relaxed and we got comfortable, he proceeded to be very candid with me with regards to the media and their ongoing negativity regarding himself. He had just completed an exclusive interview with Diane Sawyer on a tour of his Neverland complex, and felt he was extremely candid with her. He indicated even after that was aired, they found ways to degrade him. With tears in his eyes he said, "I really don't know what to do any more. I don't know how to handle the media any more. Everything I say they twist and make me look bad. I don't know what to say or do any more." What impressed me most about this meeting and our indepth conversation was his most important statement to me, that he was extremely concerned about the welfare of the children and their future existence on this planet...That statement was how I will always remember him!

Back