Dick Clark Passes Away

souldreamer7

Proud Member
'America's oldest teen' Dick Clark dies

By Alan Duke, CNN

updated 5:44 PM EDT, Wed April 18, 2012

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Broadcast icon Dick Clark, the creator and longtime host of "American Bandstand," has died, publicist Paul Shefrin said. He was 82.

Clark suffered a heart attack while at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica for an outpatient procedure, his publicist said. "Attempts to resuscitate were unsuccessful."

Clark suffered what was then described as "a mild stroke" in December 2004, just months after announcing he had been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.

That stroke forced Clark to cut back on his on-camera work, including giving up the hosting duties for the "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" specials. He returned as a co-host with Ryan Seacrest on December 31, 2005.

Clark anguished each year over whether to continue appearing on the annual show because of limitations on his speech from the stroke, U.S. Rep. David Drier, a longtime friend, told CNN Wednesday.

"But then he would get deluged by people who were stroke victims and other people who had infirmities and they were such admirers of his fighting spirit," said Drier, R-California.

Clark appeared on the last show for New Year's Eve 2011.
Dick Clark's impact on race and music
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/18/showbiz/dick-clark-obit/index.html
2004: Clark tells King 'I love what I do'

Cooper: Dick Clark's American tradition

2004: Clark on how he got his start
"He loved it, but at the same time he knew that his continued diligence was providing inspiration to a lot of people who were going through difficulties, facing infirmities themselves," Drier said.

Share your memories of Dick Clark

Seacrest gave a statement to CNN Wednesday expressing deep sadness for "the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark."

"He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life," Seacrest said. "I idolized him from the start, and I was graced early on in my career with his generous advice and counsel. When I joined his show in 2006, it was a dream come true to work with him every New Year's Eve for the last 6 years."

Seacrest called Clark "smart, charming, funny and always a true gentleman."

"I learned a great deal from him, and I'll always be indebted to him for his faith and support of me," he said. "He was a remarkable host and businessman and left a rich legacy to television audiences around the world. We will all miss him."

His "American Bandstand" work, which he began as a local TV show in Philadelphia in 1956, earned him the nickname "America's oldest living teenager." The show was picked up by ABC and broadcast nationally a year later.

"Only God is responsible for making more stars than Dick Clark," said singer Tony Orlando, who was 16 when he first appeared on Clark's show in 1961.

"You had to go through the world and universe of Dick Clark in order to part of the record business," Orlando said.

Born Richard Wagstaff Clark in Mount Vernon, New York, on November 30, 1929, he began his broadcast career working at a radio station managed by his father.

Clark, who was married three times, is survived by his wife, Kari, two sons and a daughter.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted Clark in its nonperformer category in 1993.

Clark also hosted numerous other television favorites including "$25,000 Pyramid" and "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes."

"This guy was the best," said singer Freddy Cannon, who appeared on "American Bandstand" 110 times. "He helped me from the very bottom of my career all through the '80s and the '90s, and he's going to be missed a lot."

Clark's passing follows by less than three months the death of another TV dance show icon, Don Cornelius, the creator of "Soul Train." Cornelius was found dead of what authorities said was a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Los Angeles on February 1. He was 75.

dick-clark-dead-twitter-reactions.jpg

Dick Clark Dead of a Heart Attack – Celebrities and Twitter Community React

By: TheFW Staff |

Dick Clark, the iconic television producer and host of 'New Year's Rockin' Eve' and 'American Bandstand,' died from a reported heart attack on Wednesday. The news of his death came as a shock to the American public, and many celebrities and Clark fans sent their condolences out on Twitter.

David Boreanaz (@David_Boreanaz): R.I.P. Dick Clark. New Years Eve will never be the same.

Hayley from Paramore (@yelyahwilliams): RIP Dick Clark. Will think of you every NYE.

Clint Black (@Clint_Black): We've lost one of the greatest men in show biz. #Dick Clark will be remembered with the utmost admiration and affection.

josh groban (@joshgroban): RIP Dick

yvette nicole brown (@yvettenbrown): Heartbroken #NothingElseToSay @GMA: Dick Clark is dead at the age of 82 following a massive heart attack.

HANSON (@hansonmusic): Personal Note: Dick Clark produced a TV special for us back in 1997. I am very proud of the acoustic performance from that show. -ISAAC

Times Square (@TimesSquareNYC): We are absolutely heartbroken.One of our favorite people, and a Times Square New Year’s Eve icon, Dick Clark has passed away at age 82. #SAD

Harvey Levin (@HarveyLevinTMZ): Dick Clark was one of a kind … he built an empire in the TV glory day. He was an amazing producer and host..and he was immensely creative.

Shanna Moakler (@ShannaMoakler): I will Miss you Dick Clark, It was a honor to be interviewed by you at #MissTeenUSA you will be so missed. xoxo

Cesar Millan (@cesarmillan): My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Dick Clark, a fellow dog lover and an entertainment legend.

Johnny Tillotson (@JohnnyTillotson): My friend Dick Clark has passed away this morning. What a great guy. I loved him.. May you rest well in Heaven Dick. Johnny

Snoop Dogg (@SnoopDogg): REST IN PEACE to the DICK CLARK!! U were pioneer n a good man!! Thank u sir

Andy Carvin (@acarvin): “If you want to stay young looking, pick your parents very carefully.” – Dick Clark #RIP

Liz Mair (@LizMair): I admired Dick Clark for his sustained work ethic and for showing people that illness/disability not really disabling.

Steven Portnoy (@stevenportnoy): The man didn't invent entertainment TV, but he perfected it, with his hand in everything from music to game shows. RIP, Dick Clark. So long.

Blake Shelton (@blakeshelton): So proud I had the chance to shake hands with Dick Clark in my lifetime… Great man..

Dane Cook (@danecook): Rest in peace Mr. Dick Clark. Thank you for new years and new years of class, positivity & entertainment.

Melissa Rivers (@MelRivers): Sorry to hear about the passing of Dick Clark, he was truly a revolutionary in our business.

Ryan Seacrest (@RyanSeacrest): I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life.

Danny Bonaduce (@TheDoochMan): You may remember Dick Clark as the world's oldest living teenager. I'll remember him as the man who beat me in a pushup contest – he was 74.

Obit_Dick_Clark_00416.jpg

Last edited:
awwww...Mr.Clark will be sadly missed..to me he has been there since my childhood...he was so good to Michael and I am sure Michael was there to greet him into Heaven.

dick-clark7.jpg

The legendary Dick Clark passed away today :psad: RIP Mike & Dick!

Michael Jackson, Dick Clark, 1993 | SILive.com
Michael Jackson, Dick Clark, 1993

10854009-standard.jpg

FILE - In this Jan. 24, 1993 file photo, singer Michael Jackson and American Music Awards executive producer Dick Clark go over the script during rehearsals for The American Music Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Clark, the television host who helped bring rock `n' roll into the mainstream on "American Bandstand," died Wednesday, April 18, 2012 of a heart attack. He was 82. (AP Photo/file)

My prayers and condolances to Dick Clark's family and all who held him dear. :cry:
He launched and supported so many of the greats and was counted as a loyal friend of Michael's.

Rest in peace, Dick Clark. Here's a Michael related out-take from a news story today about Clark's passing:

When Michael Jackson died in June 2009, Mr. Clark recalled working with him since he was a child, adding, “of all the
thousands of entertainers I have worked with, Michael was THE most outstanding. Many have tried and will try to copy him, but his talent will never be matched.

dick-clark-with-outkast-thumb-400xauto-32267.jpg

2870l84.jpg

Madonna Bids Farewell To Dick Clark
Link

April 18, 2012

Madonna doesn't have a Twitter account, so she hasn't tweeted out her feelings about the passing of Dick Clark, but she's paid tribute to the entertainment legend on her official website and her Facebook page by posting her infamous 1984 appearance on his show, American Bandstand.

On that appearance, Madonna, in her full '80s regalia, spoke about her career beginnings with Clark. When he asked her if she was "the least bit scared" to strike out on her own as a pop star, Madonna answered, "No, I think I've always had a lot of confidence in myself." And when Clark asked what her hopes and dreams were, Madonna uttered one of her most famous quotes, "To rule the world!"

Accompanying the video on her Facebook page, Madonna has written, "Rest in peace. You will be missed."

Live Dick Clark Presents Michael Jacksons Monkey Bubbles

dick-clark-michael-jackson.jpg

tumblr_m2p0nnAItx1rpwhl6o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
Watched him on American Bandstand and all my life on TV, not to mention all the great entertainment he produced throughout the years. He WAS Mr. New Year's Eve. I can't take anymore of these icon deaths.

There is an outpuring of well deserved love for Dick Clark and condolances for his family

President Barack Obama's statement:

"With 'American Bandstand,' he introduced decades' worth of viewers to the music of our times. He reshaped the television landscape forever as a creative and innovative producer. And, of course, for 40 years, we welcomed him into our homes to ring in the New Year. But more important than his groundbreaking achievements was the way he made us feel -- as young and vibrant and optimistic as he was. As we say a final `so long' to Dick Clark, America's oldest teenager, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends -- which number far more than he knew."

Marie Osmond ‏ @marieosmond
In 1974, my first time on BandStand, I thought Dick Clark was the most handsome man in show business. In 1998, when he created and produced the Donny & Marie talk show, I realized that was truly the hardest working man in show biz. And, now in 2012, I will always remember him as one of the most honorable men in show business. Thank you, Dick, for every great way you encouraged me in my career. You are loved. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=23295954&l=4247d1dba3&id=311781435323
532967_10151492869405324_311781435323_23295954_225877409_n.jpg

Anderson Cooper
‏ @andersoncooper
What a career Dick Clark had! What a life! My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Jonas Brothers ‏
@JonasBrothers
You'll continue to be an inspiration to us all Dick Clark. Thanks for the amazing rockin years you were with us. You'll truly be missed

Gloria Estefan ‏
@GloriaEstefan
You will never be forgotten... We love you, Dick Clark! May you find eternal peace & light...
http://pic.twitter.com/3gPalwgs

Rob Thomas
‏ @ThisIsRobThomas
the end of an era. R.I.P. Dick Clark.

Russell Simmons ‏ @UncleRUSH
Dick Clark was eternally young. No matter what culturally phenomenon was happening, he always embraced it. RIP...

HANSON ‏ @hansonmusic
Dick Clark was a Rock 'n' Roll Radio/TV icon with an influence on pop culture for more than 50 years. Rest in peace. -ISAAC

Rob Lowe ‏
@RobLowe
Had the pleasure to work with Dick Clark when I was 15. He was charming and kind; a true American icon that will live forever.

Nikki Blonsky
@NikkiBlonsky
RIP Dick Clark 1929-2012 Thank you for everything you've done 4 music & 4 all those amazing New Years Eves they wont be the same without you

Donnie Wahlberg
@DonnieWahlberg
Very saddened by the loss of a true legend... Mr Dick Clark. #ripDC

Brooke Burke
@BrookeBurke
So sad to hear the tragic news. My thoughts & prayers go out to all who loved him.

Kristin Chenoweth
‏ @KChenoweth
RIP DICK CLARK

Andy Cohen ‏ @BravoAndy
RIP Dick Clark! The broadcasting legend will remain a teenager in our memory forever. #Bandstand

Wendy Williams ‏ @WendyWilliams
Rest in Peace Dick Clark. You will be missed.

Al Roker
‏ @alroker
First Don Cornelius, now Dick Clark. Two true broadcasting pioneers and giants, both gone.

Denise Richards ‏ @DENISE_RICHARDS
My heart goes out to Dick Clark's family and loved ones.... we lost a legend.. #RIPDickClark

Matthew Morrison @Matt_Morrison
A sad day as we have lost Dick Clark, an American Icon. You will be missed.

Gabriel Mann
@Gabriel_Mann
RIP Dick Clark thx for music #AmericanBandstand

Clint Black
‏ @Clint_Black
We've lost one of the greatest men in show biz. #Dick Clark will be remembered with the utmost admiration and affection.

David Boreanaz ‏ @David_Boreanaz
R.I.P. Dick Clark. New Years Eve will never be the same.

Holly Robinson Peete ‏ @hollyrpeete
#RIP Dick Clark. Always so nice Employed me many times. I will miss you Dick. Prayers to Kari and the family #Legend

backstreetboys
@backstreetboys
Our hearts go out 2 Dick Clark's family. The memories u've created will live forever & r experiences w/ u is something we will cherish 4 all r lives.

Fergie ‏
@Fergie
Dick Clark will be truly missed. We will carry on his legacy every New Year's Eve.
http://pic.twitter.com/qbi9ub5C

Sean Hayes ‏
@theseanhayes
R.I.P. Dick Clark. Thanks for bringing music into our homes via TV and #AmericanBandstand.

Blake Shelton ‏
@blakeshelton
So proud I had the chance to shake hands with Dick Clark in my lifetime... Great man..

Dane Cook
‏ @danecook
Rest in peace Mr. Dick Clark. Thank you for new years and new years of class, positivity & entertainment.

Harry Shum Jr ‏
@iharryshum
So sad to hear about Dick Clark's passing. New Years Eve won't be the same without him. An icon that will be missed.

Melissa Rivers ‏
@MelRivers
Sorry to hear about the passing of Dick Clark, he was truly a revolutionary in our business.

Sarah Hyland
‏ @Sarah_Hyland
Dick Clark :(

Reverend Al Sharpton
‏ @TheRevAl
Dick Clark, dies at 82 years old. May he rest in peace.

lisaling ‏
@lisaling
Rest in peace dear Dick Clark. A legend in entertainment and a truly lovely man. What an honor to have known you.

Roseanne Barr ‏
@TheRealRoseanne
dick clark RIP-always a nice man to me-

Trista Sutter
@TristaSutter
I am so saddened to hear about Dick Clark. :( Was lucky to meet him on The Other Half days. Thoughts go to his family & friends

Wayne Brady
@WayneBrady
RIP Dick Clark. Being able to do the New Year's special w him was an honor. A TV pioneer and extraordinary business man. God Bless.

Jill Zarin
@Jill Zarin
I'm so sad to hear of the passing of Dick Clark. I loved American Bandstand and we will all miss him on New Years Eve RIP

Charlie Daniels
@CharlieDaniels
The CDB regrets the loss of our friend Dick Clark who we had the honor of working with many times. Nobody did TV like Dick. Rest In Peace.

Marlee Matlin
@MarleeMatlin
So sorry about passing of Dick Clark. A man with the gift of discovering talented musicians he also was a consummate producer/lovely man RIP

Times Square
@TimesSquareNYC
We are absolutely heartbroken.One of our favorite people, and a Times Square New Year’s Eve icon, Dick Clark has passed away at age 82. #SAD

Melissa Joan Hart
@MellyJHart
Rest in Peace Dick Clark!! Thanks for entertaining my family for decades! New Years won't be the same ever again!

Chris Harrison
@chrisbharrison
Just heard the sad news about the passing of Dick Clark. A legend in our game!

Kevin McHale
@druidDUDE
Dick Clark, what a a legend. Changed TV & Music forever. You will be missed Mr. Clark!

Aaron Carter
@AARONCARTER
#RIP #DickClark You will be missed.. Love, The Carter Family!

William Shatner
@William Shatner
My condolences go out to the family of Dick Clark. My best, Bill

Heart
@officialheart
Back in the 1960s the pop culture catchphrase was "Never trust anyone over 30". Dick Clark was trustworthy all the way home. Rock on Sir! AW

Gloria Estefan
@GloriaEstefan
Our sincerest condolences to Dick Clark's wife, Kari, his family & all who loved & admired him which includes the whole Estefan clan!

Sophia Bush
@sophiabush
RIP Dick Clark. What a legend ...

Danny Bonaduce
@thedoochman
You may remember Dick Clark as the world's oldest living teenager. I'll remember him as the man who beat me in a pushup contest - he was 74.

Billy Ray Cyrus ‏
@billyraycyrus
R. I. P. Dick Clark. Thoughts and prayers with the Clark Family.

Cesar Millan
‏ @cesarmillan
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Dick Clark, a fellow dog lover and an entertainment legend.

Leonard Maltin
‏ @leonardmaltin
Rest in Peace Dick Clark. He was always incredibly nice to me. A real gentleman

Richard Roeper
‏ @richardroeper
Dick Clark's agent confirms the legendary broadcaster is dead at 82. RIP to a giant in his field.

Jared Followill ‏ @youngfollowill (Kings of Leon)
R.I.P. Dick Clark? Say it ain't so...

Hayley from Paramore ‏ @yelyahwilliams
RIP Dick Clark. Will think of you every NYE.

Chris Daughtry ‏ @CHRIS_Daughtry
RIP Mr. Dick Clark. You will be missed

Duran Duran
@duranduran
Sad to hear about Dick Clark. Rest in peace: http://eonline.mobi/article?id=309795

DL Hughley
@RealDlHughley
RIP Dick Clark worked with him on New Years Rockin Eve and TV Bloopers always a class act! #TeamDl

Al Yankovic
@alyankovic
Such sad news. RIP Dick Clark. http://twitpic.com/9bd5uf
9bd5uf.jpg

Jenny McCarthy ‏ @JennyMcCarthy
RIP dick Clark. You were amazing to work with. U will be missed. Xxxoo

Shanna Moakler ‏
@ShannaMoaklerI will Miss you Dick Clark, It was a honor to be interviewed by you at #MissTeenUSA you will be so missed. xoxo
http://say.ly/SPz36WP

Jackée Harry ‏
@JackeeHarryRIP To My Dear Friend Of 30yrs .. Famed Producer/Host, Dick Clark. Gone, But #NeverToBeForgotten

Seth Green
‏ @SethGreen
So saddened by Dick Clark's passing- an innovator, a legend, a man who believed in the greatness of humans. #ThankYou

Debbie Gibson
@DebbieGibson
Just heard about Dick Clark. Oh man.... So sad :-(

Dennis Haskins ‏
@mrbelding
Sad to pass along the passing of a true legend - Dick Clark. Can anyone else hear the American Bandstand theme? #legend

dave holmes
‏ @DaveHolmes
Worked with Dick Clark a few years back. Dude did it ALL: wrote cue cards, moved lights, called shots. An inspiration and a very nice guy.

Don Lemon ‏ @donlemoncnn
Dick Clark invented 'ageless' & American Bandstand is timeless. First Don Corneilus, now Dick at 82. #RIPDickClark #CNN

RIP Dick Clark :(

Why is it that so many of those who knew and were friends with Michael are passing away?

gallery_468_1792_301774.jpg

R.I.P. Dick Clark

I'll remember him most when he's part of "The One" documentary for Michael Jackson Number One, seeing him on the American Bandstand 50 where Michael performed and seeing him during the New Years Eve parties.

OMG!!! I'm in shock and tears! I was away for two days (and didn't use the internet )and as I logged in today I was greeted with this sad, sad news :(
I was like "No, no, no, God, pleeeease NO!!!" : ( For the past some weeks, in my prayers, I had been saying Dick Clark's name while thanking God for the very few good people remaining in the media, and now this news is breaking my heart so, so badly...: (

I soo loved, respected and admired Dick Clark! To me, he was the best in the TV media biz and he was always so respectful of Michael, and he genuinely admired him and supported him through the hard times too! I'm sure he was greeted by our beautiful angel in the heavens! Rest in peace Mr.Clark, God bless you and thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the wonderful memories. You'll be missed beyond words...

:no:So sad.

I found this:
http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/headline_health/Dick_Clark_saved/2012/04/19/445985.html

Dick Clark: Could He Have Been Saved?
Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:42 AM
By Charlotte Libov
Print this Page
img_article_print_icon.gif

Forward Page
img_article_forward_icon.gif

Email Us
img_article_email_icon.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

inShare1​

<tbody>
</tbody>

CRAPDickClark2.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Millions around the world were saddened to learn of Dick Clark’s death on Wednesday, but renowned cardiologist Dr. Chauncey Crandall believes that the TV host’s fatal heart attack might have been averted if he had undergone appropriate cardiac screening before an outpatient procedure the day before his death.
"Dick Clark was the perfect candidate for a massive heart attack, but he might not have had it if he had been properly screened," Dr. Crandall tells Newsmax Health. Such screening might have ruled out the procedure, or indicated other precautions that needed to be taken, he added.
According to Dr. Crandall, the 82-year-old had numerous risk factors that put him in danger of suffering a heart attack under such circumstances, including his advanced age, a history of cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, past smoking, and the major stroke he suffered in 2004.
Clark was admitted to St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., for an outpatient procedure Tuesday night. Only hours later he suffered a massive heart attack, and attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful, according to a statement from his publicist.
SPECIAL: These 4 Things Happen Right Before a Heart Attack — Click Here for Info.
Dr. Crandall, author of the Heart Health Report, says he has seen this sad scenario many times before.
"Any type of surgery, no matter what it is, creates a great deal of stress on the body and creates a whole host of inflammatory coagulation factors, making a patient more prone to a cardiac event," said Dr. Crandall, who is chief of the cardiac transplant program at the world-renowned Palm Beach Cardiovascular Clinic in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Because Clark was undergoing an elective procedure, there was ample time for a battery of screening tests to be performed and their results reviewed before going ahead with the outpatient procedure, he noted.
According to Dr. Crandall, a patient in Clark’s condition should have undergone the following screening tests and procedures:
1. A consultation with his internist or family doctor and cardiologist to review the elective procedure.
2. A second opinion to make certain the procedure is necessary.
3. An exercise stress test to test the heart’s ability to withstand the stress of surgery.
4. A blood test to check for elevated cholesterol levels, as well as clotting disorders or inflammatory markers that would make a heart attack more likely.
5. An echocardiogram to access the heart’s function.
“The bottom line that we can learn is that anytime you have elective surgery, you need to be properly evaluated to find out if you have underlying coronary disease and if your heart can withstand it,” said Dr. Crandall.

RIP Dick Clark I remember him seeing on Rockin NYE on tv in nyc I mean every New Years Eve & he was a nice host ever since AB. But I wasn't born when AB came out! :bugeyed but anyway I know you & michael will be in hevan making some good music/host together. RIP

Back