Diann Collins interviewed MJ

smelly fan

Proud Member
this is prob a repost but i searched on 'Diann Collins' and nothing came up...
so here we go :)

01-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2N2Iidn2m0&feature=channel_page

it's an interview from long ago, i think from when thriller came out...
this i just the first part, the other parts can be found right here:

02 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfQn7iId9Yg&feature=channel_page
03 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtUdCCBBRtg&feature=channel_page
04 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftBL_ABpgoI&feature=channel_page

cheers!

I've even though I've always though the interview with Dianne Collins is good. I've also always found it quite patronising towards Michael, with her aliging him really as just being a black artist and a famous black icon. This interview is shows how black artists were still confined to there place in the early 1980's as not being dominant mainstream artists, and shows how Michael's polite responses to her questions based on race were breaking down the racial barries in music and entertainment that Michael felt were held up as a barrier to him in the when Off The Wall only got Grammy Award for Best Soul Album etc.

thanks for uploading this on youtube LOL a lot of the times people upload things on here for us to watch but the downloads arent compatible a lot of the times with my system LOL

When was this interview done?

it was done in late 1983, and broadcast in early 1984 on radio stations around the globe.

the full radio show was distribued as a very cool promo Lp set (a very rare item now).

Loved it! Michael is such a sweetheart. :wub: Thanks for posting!

I've even though I've always though the interview with Dianne Collins is good. I've also always found it quite patronising towards Michael, with her aliging him really as just being a black artist and a famous black icon. This interview is shows how black artists were still confined to there place in the early 1980's as not being dominant mainstream artists, and shows how Michael's polite responses to her questions based on race were breaking down the racial barries in music and entertainment that Michael felt were held up as a barrier to him in the when Off The Wall only got Grammy Award for Best Soul Album etc.

It's the first time iv heard this interview and I agree its good and Michael is such a sweetie but I also agree with your comment Ben. She does sound so patronizing it makes me cringe, the way she speaks to him, and it shows up clearly how black artists were treated back in the day.

Thanks for the interview. The name seems familiar but I don't think I've heard this before. The last 2 mins of the last link made me laugh. She was so hung up on him being black, funny.

when she said " I see you strictly as a black musical genius" i was like WHAT DID YOU SAY!!!! a musical genius is a musical genius no matter wat! wow i have never come across blatent rasciam in my lifetime geeez that woman was patronising, but it was a good interview...she asked some questions i never heard asked before.

Yeah I agree, the last part was really cringey. I dunno how some people have the cheek! Michael's answers were classy.

thanks for sharing....I listened to this and what struck me is "scary....in a good way...this was taken like 25years ago...and his thoughts really dont seem to have changed that much..." amazing...

when she said " I see you strictly as a black musical genius" i was like WHAT DID YOU SAY!!!! a musical genius is a musical genius no matter wat! wow i have never come across blatent rasciam in my lifetime geeez that woman was patronising, but it was a good interview...she asked some questions i never heard asked before.

Saying she sees Michael as a "black genius" is ignorant and narrow minded, but saying using the word "strictly" is in my view racist. She did ask Michael some good questions, but not only did seem very ignorant about race when it comes to respecting a creative genius like Michael. She also didn't seem like someone who actually knows anything about pop music and youth culture.

She said some racist ish, but you kinda have to view it in context of the times. Which, of course, does not mean you don't have to be angry with it or disapprove. That's how ish was back then, nowadays racism is much more covert.

I've been researching Justice Hugo Black and his consistency on free speech and so in hearing Mike talk, and still being in Justice Black mode, I find it amazing how consistent he has been with his views on many subjects. I'm sure there are areas where he has changed his mind, but when it comes to building timeless, classic music, creating the new and different, and his love for children has always remained static.

Also, at one point he kinda avoids the question where she asked about him being 70 and still doing what he does. I see in that a correlation from something he said more recently (and if anyone knows from exactly where he said it feel free to post), where he said he didn't wanna be like James Brown and still have his life devoted to performing while in old age and work himself to death (or something along those lines).

The thing I most admire about Mike is that he has always been who is despite what other people think, or may think. The only thing about him that has fundamentally changed is the pubilc's perception of him. It really irks me when the media poke fun at him for things he's always done; what was once thought of as adorable is now sinister or weird.

...and now back to my paper on Justice Black:doh:

It was in the Ebony December 2007 article.

She said some racist ish, but you kinda have to view it in context of the times. Which, of course, does not mean you don't have to be angry with it or disapprove. That's how ish was back then, nowadays racism is much more covert.

I've been researching Justice Hugo Black and his consistency on free speech and so in hearing Mike talk, and still being in Justice Black mode, I find it amazing how consistent he has been with his views on many subjects. I'm sure there are areas where he has changed his mind, but when it comes to building timeless, classic music, creating the new and different, and his love for children has always remained static.

Also, at one point he kinda avoids the question where she asked about him being 70 and still doing what he does. I see in that a correlation from something he said more recently (and if anyone knows from exactly where he said it feel free to post), where he said he didn't wanna be like James Brown and still have his life devoted to performing while in old age and work himself to death (or something along those lines).

The thing I most admire about Mike is that he has always been who is despite what other people think, or may think. The only thing about him that has fundamentally changed is the pubilc's perception of him. It really irks me when the media poke fun at him for things he's always done; what was once thought of as adorable is now sinister or weird.

...and now back to my paper on Justice Black:doh:

Wow thanks for posting smelly fan!!! I've never heard this interview before! Can't wait to listen:)

P.S. I still got to listen to the interview, but read what some of y'all said above. I can clearly see the interviewer sucks with that patronizing, racist attitude. Reminds me of another interviewer with the same first name.

Wow thanks for posting smelly fan!!! I've never heard this interview before! Can't wait to listen:)

P.S. I still got to listen to the interview, but read what some of y'all said above. I can clearly see the interviewer sucks with that patronizing, racist attitude. Reminds me of another interviewer with the same first name.

Are you talking about the woman who interviewed Michael and Lisa Marie Presley on Prime Time Live in 1995. And the interviewer accused Michael of being anti semtic at the end of the interview, which ended up with Michael having to edit a couple of lyrics out of the song They Don't Care About Us on the original versions of the HIStory album etc.

isnt that the interview that was released on VHS video as "UNAUTHORIZED"?

86821.JPG

Are you talking about the woman who interviewed Michael and Lisa Marie Presley on Prime Time Live in 1995. And the interviewer accused Michael of being anti semtic at the end of the interview, which ended up with Michael having to edit a couple of lyrics out of the song They Don't Care About Us on the original versions of the HIStory album etc.

the antisemitic claims regarding TDCAU were around before that interview.
in the sawyer interview michael just had the chance to defend himself.
so that interview was no reason for nothing...

isnt that the interview that was released on VHS video as "UNAUTHORIZED"?

86821.JPG

No it's not. The Unortherized video is a light hearted home movie Michael's Encino home in 1984. Just Michael talking about thinks he likes, such as music and animals. LaToya is in the video with Michael. But this is not an interview, and it was sold by Michael's ex home movie camera man and Michael threatend him with legal action and the video was pulled from distribution.

This is a clip from the Unortherized video.

the antisemitic claims regarding TDCAU were around before that interview.
in the sawyer interview michael just had the chance to defend himself.
so that interview was no reason for nothing...

It was the first I and nearly everyone heard of such anti semtic claims regarding They Don't Care About Us, as the album was released (I think, or within a day or so) the same day the interview was broadcast in the UK (24hrs after the USA broadcast). Diane Swayer's main angle was that Michael modled the HIStory album promo trailer on the Nazi propaganda film Triumph of The Will and accused. Though Michael said "I watch everything", he said the the trailer was art. Michael didn't explain himself very well when talking about his reasons for making the trailer. The interview did become mildly heated at this point, and Diana Swayer said "I think we will have to agree to disagree on this".
Michael seemed quite surprised about both questions, particularlly the question about the lyrics on TDCAU. And Michael eplained himself very well regarding those lyrics, but Diana Swayer still didn't seem to agree.

That Prime Time Live interview wasn't to clear up anti semtic rumors, that were even in the mainstream media until after the interview, otherwise Michael would have edited the song or written new lyrics for TDCAU before the albums release, considering Michael has a number of jewish friends and associates. The interview was done specifically the give his side of the story to the fasle Jordan Chandler accusations and police investigation, and to talk about his marriage to Lisa Marie Presley. Along with the Oprah Wintrey interview in 1993, the Diane Swayer interview is one Sony pressured Michael in to doing, as he has said he never actually wanted to do those interviews in the first place.

Last edited:
Don´t you guys think that she might add "black" as a positive? Following the 'black is baeutyful' politics from the 70s and the civil rights movement, seeing MJ as coming from the black owned label Motown. And the differences that comes from having a history in black working class respective to white working class, the different ways society treats you that is (of course) and the etnecities that grow out of that? Maybe she was at the time acting pc, feeling NOT giving creds to his identity as black might have been ignorant?

Back