Debbie Matenopoulos & Ex Squabble Over Alimony, Cable Bill (Updated)

Victory2004

Proud Member
Debbie Matenopoulos & Ex Squabble Over Alimony, Cable Bill

By Ken Lee
Originally posted Tuesday January 27, 2009 07:00 PM EST
Photo by: Chelsea Lauren / WireImage
debbie_matenopoulos.jpg
Debbie Matenopoulos's estranged husband is seeking spousal support from the E! host, saying she "pays for nothing" related to their multimillion-dollar Los Angeles home after the pair "continuously lived beyond our means," court documents show.

Jay Faires, 45, an L.A. music executive who makes $37,500 per month before taxes, is demanding that Matenopoulos, 33, either help pay the mortgage, agree to refinance, or move out and sell the home, according to his filing.

"Notwithstanding the fact that [Matenopoulos] earns at least $225,000 annually, she had her lawyers send my lawyer the cable bill and her cell phone bill to pay," Faires says. "If [she] wants to continue to live [in our home] and won't agree to sell, she should be paying all expenses associated with her use and occupancy, i.e. the mortgages, property taxes, utilities, insurance, gardener, pool, alarm, etc."

Faires, who filed for divorce on Nov. 12 after five years of marriage, admits that the couple have "continuously lived beyond our means during our marriage."

He says he has moved out of the residence, and that Matenopoulos "has changed the locks and the alarm code so I can't enter the house." Faires says they owe approximately $1.5 million on the home, which carries a monthly payment of $11,671.

He adds that he's had the property appraised recently at $4.3 million, but alleges Matenopoulos "won't even consider selling [the home] unless we receive somewhere in the neighborhood of $8 million."

"[She] apparently believes that at some point in time [the home's] value will increase by some $3.5 million," Faires says. "She also apparently believes that I ... pay all expenses ... while she lives there and pays for nothing, and waits for a real estate miracle to happen."

A hearing is set for Feb. 23.

An attorney for Matenopoulos was not immediately available for comment. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20255420,00.html

Last edited:
People Exclusive

Debbie Matenopoulos Says She's No Freeloader

By Ken Lee
Originally posted Wednesday January 28, 2009 12:30 PM EST

Debbie Matenopoulos Photo by: Chelsea Lauren / WireImage
debbie_matenopoulos.jpg
Debbie Matenopoulos is denying her estranged husband's claims that she "pays for nothing" while living in their multimillion-dollar Los Angeles home. Jay Faires, a music executive, is seeking spousal support from the E! host to help pay the mortgage.

"I am incredibly offended by these gross accusations and false claims that have no merit," Matenopoulos tells PEOPLE in an exclusive statement. "I am very proud to say, not only do I currently pay my own expenses, I also did so for the entire duration of our marriage."

Faires, 45, who filed for divorce from Matenopoulos on Nov. 12 after five years of marriage, also claimed in the Jan. 14 court papers that the former couple have "continuously lived beyond our means during our marriage."

Matenopoulos added: "As far as living above our means goes, as my husband has stated, if Jay is anything at all he is a shrewd businessman and has started three companies from the ground up. He knows a thing or two about balancing a budget and would never be so irresponsible."

As for their increasingly hostile split, Matenopoulos claims her ex's actions "are an obvious attempt to hurt me. The fact that I am even having to discuss this stuff publicly is ludicrous."

The former couple face a hearing on Feb. 23.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20255481,00.html

Back