Dancing Machine on vodka AD

brenderchip

Proud Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move it if it is. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I've seen this commercial twice on tv. so they do the robot like Michael (but not as awesome as Mike's)---their I guess...spokesperson (I can't think of another word) for their business is a female robot (get it, doing the robot, with the female robot) and the singer is similar to Michael's teenage voice. It's remixed. It doesn't have the 'Dancing Machine' magic.

It's a nice tribute though, but I feel like they probably used it because "Michael Jackson" is the trend right now---which is good and bad.

http://w3.svedka.com/#ads

you have to be ""21 and over" to access the site. just make up your age if you're not 21+. The ad isn't racy or anything.

I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Also, who had the rights to sell the use of "Dancing Machine"?
I thought Jackson songs were one of the toughest songs to use for advertising, tv, etc.

Also, who had the rights to sell the use of "Dancing Machine"? I thought Jackson songs were one of the toughest songs to use for advertising, tv, etc.
Motown leases their songs pretty easily. Those aren't really "Jackson" songs. The J5, like most other Motown acts of the period, just sang songs by Motown staff writers and cover songs from other acts. So the songwriters and/or publishers give the rights. If someone wants to use the actual recordings, then it's either Motown or Universal Music.

Interesting. So many complexities to the music business. Don't know if the many younger people will get the connection, but good to see/hear it from my standpoint.

Cute ad. :lol:

However the auto-tune was just so not needed and for some reason, I think they replaced MJ's vocals. It sounds similar to his voice but not really... ??

was this really motown or cbs? didn't the Jacksons write this song? if they did MJ owns the publishing.

anyway, thanks for the find. like someone posted earlier...the world thinks mainly of MJ, with stuff like this..especially considering the timing, and i'm sure the company for the vodka was thinking along those lines too...yes again, with the trend and all.

was this really motown or cbs? didn't the Jacksons write this song? if they did MJ owns the publishing.

anyway, thanks for the find. like someone posted earlier...the world thinks mainly of MJ, with stuff like this..especially considering the timing, and i'm sure the company for the vodka was thinking along those lines too...yes again, with the trend and all.
Dancing Machine is on Motown, not CBS or Epic. The song was originally on the Get It Together album from 1973, but was later remixed and re-released on a separate album called Dancing Machine and as a single. The brothers wrote nothing at Motown. Besides it's easy to tell it's Motown because Jermaine is singing on it, and he didn't go to Epic with the others. Although he later did the Victory and 2300 Jackson Street albums.

I get the feeling that Michael maybe did not want his songs to be used for adds, but now that he's gone, the rest of the family or record company maybe want to make money with it so the songs are used in publicity. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for saying who owns the song, watching it made me curious about that.

Yeah, although many people might now know that reference, since many people just remember "Thriller", I do think it's just the MJ love fest.

It could've been a big Jackson fan who somehow convinced the company to allow the use of "Dancing Machine" (probably using the excuse...it's MICHAEL JACKSON! everyone loves him!) I dunno who is their target audience though. All these young hip kids don't know much about the 70s. They know their auto-tune however, and it's all that matters.

Speaking of dancing machine though, a clip of it was playing on this cartoon show made in the 90s called "The Oblongs", starring the voice of Will Ferrell, who is a man who has no legs or arms (it's not as bad as it sounds). Well this father with no legs or arms and gets a robot body. Guess what he does? Dances to Dancing Machine! I got so happy when I heard the song---pure! No new singer, no touches, just the original.

for those interested in the episode, it is called "My Name Is Robbie" -The Oblongs
http://www.veoh.com/collection/theoblongs/watch/v6431780sNWtzytg
song hits at 9:04

----------------
Now playing: The Jacksons - Keep On Dancing
via FoxyTunes

Dancing Machine is on Motown, not CBS or Epic. The song was originally on the Get It Together album from 1973, but was later remixed and re-released on a separate album called Dancing Machine and as a single. The brothers wrote nothing at Motown. Besides it's easy to tell it's Motown because Jermaine is singing on it, and he didn't go to Epic with the others. Although he later did the Victory and 2300 Jackson Street albums.

well..wow..between this, and blame it on the boogie, and you are not alone...one gets the feeling that if u wanna know how to go to and graduate from songwriting school, 101...hope ur lucky enough get ur song done by some situation involving Michael Jackson. when it's all over, you'll sound like the greatest songwriter in the world.

it's all good. the commercials keep MJ in peoples' hearts.

I get the feeling that Michael maybe did not want his songs to be used for adds, but now that he's gone, the rest of the family or record company maybe want to make money with it so the songs are used in publicity. Just my 2 cents.
None of the Jacksons have any say about Motown material. It's not their music, it belongs to Motown/Universal. The family doesn't get paid from them because they had the usual ripoff Motown contract that most of their performers had. The Jacksons didn't write any of the songs when they were on Motown. So Motown doesn't have to get any permission from the family, nor Mike when he was alive. The Jackson 5 and other Motown acts' songs have been used in commercials, TV, and movies a long time, not just after Mike passed.

The Jacksons did'nt write anything for Motown. Except for a few select proformers (Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder) at that time many over there did'nt have any creative freedom at Motown.

And Like DuranDuran explained Motown/Universal owns thier stuff so that record label could do anything to that material they wanted.

The Jacksons did'nt write anything for Motown. Except for a few select proformers (Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder) at that time many over there did'nt have any creative freedom at Motown.

And Like DuranDuran explained Motown/Universal owns thier stuff so that record label could do anything to that material they wanted.

yeah..i saw what duran said.
anyway, in the end, it seems to work out for MJ more than it does for motown. i don't think much about motown when i hear about that commercial. sometimes, free publicity has more worth than money, especially, when an artist is honorable. for that artist, things work out, no matter what. MJ truly was an honorable artist. and i'm not talking about whether or not other artists were honorable. i'm just talking about MJ, here.

None of the Jacksons have any say about Motown material. It's not their music, it belongs to Motown/Universal. The family doesn't get paid from them because they had the usual ripoff Motown contract that most of their performers had. The Jacksons didn't write any of the songs when they were on Motown. So Motown doesn't have to get any permission from the family, nor Mike when he was alive. The Jackson 5 and other Motown acts' songs have been used in commercials, TV, and movies a long time, not just after Mike passed.

Thanks for clearing that :)

^^well, if that's true, that Gordy was trying to do something for his community, yet he was ripping off his artists, at the same time, then he cancelled out his good deed. there is no honor among theives. and in the end, only the honorable ones, do reap good rewards in their career. that's why i say free publicity became a friend to Michael Jackson.

anyway, this certainly answers the question of being established doesn't necessarily mean being on the up and up. i'm sure Universal is still practicing using bogus contracts. in fact, they proved it at nbc.

and that's surely why they enjoyed playing the Jackson music, with glee, knowing the Jacksons would not get paid. but, without a doubt, being dishonorable always comes back to you. and if it didn't, for Universal/Motown..it will, soon.

Last edited:
Back