Daily News - Thursday - Jan 7, 2010

MsSnoop

Proud Member
Taylor Swift Edges Susan Boyle For 2009's Top-Selling Album

j01774ancym.jpg

Michael Jackson's "Number Ones" is 2009's third biggest-selling album, with 2.36 million according to SoundScan, while Lady Gaga's "The Fame" is fourth with 2.24 million. Andrea Bocelli's recent release "My Christmas" powered through 2.21 million in just nine weeks, making it the year's fifth best. The soundtrack to "Hannah Montana: the Movie" is sixth (1.82 million), followed by the Black Eyed Peas' "The E.N.D." (No. 7 with 1.79 million), Eminem's "Relapse" (No. 8 with 1.74 million), Jay-Z's "The Blueprint 3" (No. 9 with 1.52 million) and Kings of Leon's "Only By the Night" (No. 10 with 1.40 million).

Fans of Michael Jackson will also be pleased to find out that the King of Pop owns four of the year's top 20 best-selling albums. Not only is "Number Ones" at No. 3 on the year-end list, but the top 20 also houses "This Is It" (No. 12 with 1.29 million), "Thriller" (No. 14 with 1.27 million) and "The Essential Michael Jackson" (No. 20 with 1.15 million).

Jackson is the biggest selling albums artist for 2009 with more than 8.2 million album sales for the year. Swift comes in as the second biggest selling albums artist for 2009 with 4.6 million album sales and the second straight year of 4 million or more album sales.
http://www.billboard.com/news/taylo...t-edges-susan-boyle-for-2009-1004057203.story

Chester Gregory prepares to light up the stage

.... part of an article that mentions Michael:

At one point, you had a chance to perform for Michael Jackson. How was that, especially in light of his death?
I’m from Gary, IN, his hometown. There was the Thriller video and him always remaining humble. That was all inspirational for me. Around 2003, there was a special group that was asked to perform for him in Gary. He was going to help build the Michael Jackson School of the Arts there. I knew he was a huge fan of Jackie Wilson, so I did a Jackie Wilson song and one of my songs. He gave me a standing ovation. And when his security led him out, I yelled his name. He didn’t turn around; he just gestured with his hand. But when I called out, “Jackie Wilson,” he turned around and waved.

I guess his death just started to hit me a few weeks ago. I started having dreams. The same day they officially announced the cast for Dreamgirls was the same day he died. This show opened at The Apollo, where Michael got his start. We’re both from Gary. There are a lot of interesting parallels. Fortunately, his music is eternal.

click here to read the entire article:
http://thirdcoastdigest.com/2009/12/chester-gregory-prepares-to-light-up-the-stage/

LizaMichaelJacksonPT_gallery_primary.jpg

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1986 - Janet Jackson petitioned for a divorce from James DeBarge.​

2005 - Michael Jackson's lawyers asked the judge in the molestation case to close the courtroom for all pretrial hearings on what evidence will be allowed at Jackson's trial. The trial was set to being on January 31.​

MichaelJacksonCelineDion_gallery_primary.jpg

Want to have Michael Jackson news directly to your inbox? Subscribe to MJJC ENews here
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83807

Michael Jackson memorial nominated for Outstanding Variety Television award by NAACP Image Awards

alg_memorial_michael-jackson.jpg

Bouys/Pool
Michael Jackson's star-studded memorial service was attended by thousands of fans.

Even in death, the King of Pop is still raking in the awards.
Michael Jackson's funeral has been nominated for an Outstanding Variety award by the NAACP Image Awards.
ABC, BET, CNN, MTV, and NBC broadcast Jackson's memorial service from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Tuesday, July 7th, almost two weeks after the 50-year-old singer died of cardiac arrest.
Attended by thousands of fans, the star-studded service, which proceeded a smaller gathering for family members inside a Hollywood Hills chapel, lasted 90 minutes and featured touching tributes by Magic Johnson, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Al Sharpton, Jennifer Hudson, Brooke Shields, Mariah Carey, Lionel Richie, Usher, and John Mayer, as well as Jackson's family members.
The most emotional moment came when the King of Pop's 11-year-old daughter, Paris, took the microphone and told the audience, "Ever since I was born, daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine."
"And I just want to say that I love him so much," she added, before bursting into tears and burying herself in the arms of her aunt, Janet Jackson.
Jackson was laid to rest as extravagantly as he lived. His bronze casket, which reportedly cost close to $20K, featured 14-karat gold plate handles and a velvet-lined interior.
But the funeral was not without controversy.
Three thousand police officers were on hand to ensure events proceeded smoothly, costing the city of Los Angeles between $2 - 4 million.A Los Angeles tax payer recently sued Jackson's estate for $3.3 million to cover the costs of the singer's memorial.
Regardless of cost, the memorial service turned out to be quite a spectacle.
Akamai Technologies, a company that monitors Internet traffic, noted that at some points during the funeral, global Web traffic was 31 percent above average.
It's main competitor for the NAACP Image Award appears to be President Obama's Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial, but anything featuring Jackson these days makes money and wins awards.
The documentary "This Is It," which featured video footage of the tour Jackson was set to embark on when he died, is the highest grossing musical documentary of all time, having taken in over $250 million.
And Jackson also swept the American Music Awards last year, taking home four awards.
The NAACP Image Awards air live on Fox Feb. 26 at 8PM EST.

here is link:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...utstanding_variety_television_award_by_n.html

Lenny Kravitz: I Did Not Leak Michael Jackson's New Song

Kravitz Admires the King of Pop Too Much to Exploit Their Experiences Together

A new song, a Michael Jackson and Lenny Kravitz collaboration, was leaked over the weekend.

On Tuesday, Kravitz put out a video on Twitter which explained that he was not the source of the leak. Kravitz, recorded while sitting, as he put it, 'in the bush', said that he had no idea who had leaked it but that it was not him as his copy
lg.php

google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

Lenny Kravitz: I Did Not Leak Michael Jackson's New Song

of the song was locked in a vault.
Sony is working to pull the leaked copies from the Internet. For his part, Kravitz has confirmed that the approximate minute and a half portion of the song is indeed his collaboration with Jackson, though it had not been mixed.

Remain unanswered, of course, is who would have had access to the song and why they would have leaked it. Anybody with rights to the song, it would seem, would actually not want to leak it as the demand for any new Michael Jackson song will clearly be extremely high.

While lesser artists might need a leak to promote new material, Kravitz is a big time star in his own right, and Michael Jackson is arguably the biggest worldwide star of all time. Particularly after his death in June of 2009, any new material from Jackson will be met with enormous anticipation.

What seems unlikely is that Kravitz is the source of the leak. He has expressed the utmost respect and affection for Jackson so doing anything that would anger Jackson's family or in any way exploit his relationship with him seems unlike.

Shortly after Jackson's death, Kravitz has described his recording session with him as "the most amazing experience I have ever had in the studio".

Also, on the night of Jackson's death, Kravitz described Jackson and his experience with him as follows: "He was funny. Very funny and we laughed the whole time. I also saw what a beautiful father he was. He was a beautiful human being. I am deeply saddened this evening."

While there is a real possibility that it will never be revealed who leaked the song, Kravitz is probably not the source.

What is clear, however, is that Kravitz is the latest in a long line of big time musicians who have the utmost respect and admiration for the late Michael Jackson.

here is link:http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2559977/lenny_kravitz_i_did_not_leak_michael.html?cat=33

Michael Jackson Dominates 2009 Album Sales

Michael Jackson had planned a 50-show comeback in London in the summer of 2009. Thanks to Dr. Conrad Murray, he never got a chance to perform.
Just the same, his untimely death made the King of Pop as popular as ever. He ranked as the top-selling artist of 2009 with 8.2 million albums sold.
According to Nielsen SoundScan, that's nearly double No. 2 finisher, Taylor Swift, who at least beat all living musicians with a huge 4.6 million sold.
Jackson died June 25, just weeks before he was to return to the stage. His rehearsal footage has been made into a double CD and film, This Is It.

Michael Jackson dominated 2009 music sales after passing away.

Michael Jackson memorial nominated for Outstanding Variety Television award by NAACP Image Awards

alg_memorial_michael-jackson.jpg

Bouys/Pool
Michael Jackson's star-studded memorial service was attended by thousands of fans.

Even in death, the King of Pop is still raking in the awards.
Michael Jackson's funeral has been nominated for an Outstanding Variety award by the NAACP Image Awards.
ABC, BET, CNN, MTV, and NBC broadcast Jackson's memorial service from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Tuesday, July 7th, almost two weeks after the 50-year-old singer died of cardiac arrest.
Attended by thousands of fans, the star-studded service, which proceeded a smaller gathering for family members inside a Hollywood Hills chapel, lasted 90 minutes and featured touching tributes by Magic Johnson, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Al Sharpton, Jennifer Hudson, Brooke Shields, Mariah Carey, Lionel Richie, Usher, and John Mayer, as well as Jackson's family members.
The most emotional moment came when the King of Pop's 11-year-old daughter, Paris, took the microphone and told the audience, "Ever since I was born, daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine."
"And I just want to say that I love him so much," she added, before bursting into tears and burying herself in the arms of her aunt, Janet Jackson.
Jackson was laid to rest as extravagantly as he lived. His bronze casket, which reportedly cost close to $20K, featured 14-karat gold plate handles and a velvet-lined interior.
But the funeral was not without controversy.
Three thousand police officers were on hand to ensure events proceeded smoothly, costing the city of Los Angeles between $2 - 4 million.A Los Angeles tax payer recently sued Jackson's estate for $3.3 million to cover the costs of the singer's memorial.
Regardless of cost, the memorial service turned out to be quite a spectacle.
Akamai Technologies, a company that monitors Internet traffic, noted that at some points during the funeral, global Web traffic was 31 percent above average.
It's main competitor for the NAACP Image Award appears to be President Obama's Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial, but anything featuring Jackson these days makes money and wins awards.
The documentary "This Is It," which featured video footage of the tour Jackson was set to embark on when he died, is the highest grossing musical documentary of all time, having taken in over $250 million.
And Jackson also swept the American Music Awards last year, taking home four awards.
The NAACP Image Awards air live on Fox Feb. 26 at 8PM EST.

here is link:http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...utstanding_variety_television_award_by_n.html

2009 Top-Selling Artists:

1. Michael Jackson, 8.2 million
  2. Taylor Swift, 4.6 million
  3. Beatles, 3.2 million
  4. Susan Boyle, 3.1 million
  5. Lady Gaga, 2.8 million
  6. Andrea Bocelli, 2.6 million
  7. Michael Bublé, 2.2 million
  8. Eminem, 2.1 million
  9. Carrie Underwood, 1.8 million
  10. Black Eyed Peas, 1.8 million
2009 Top-Selling Albums: