Daily News Thread - July 23, 2009~Post today's news Here

MsSnoop

Proud Member
Appreciation: Remembering Michael Jackson

The legendary performer, dead at 50, was born to perform

newsmakers.Par.0817.Image.0.0.1.jpg
Photo: Photofest; Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

It hardly seems possible—Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, dead at 50.

My mouth dropped open in stunned silence when a friend told me the news that the musical and fashion icon had died of apparent cardiac arrest. It couldn’t be. He was to start performing again in July with legions of fans anticipating his return to the concert stage.

Jackson, the seventh of nine children, became a bona fide global star despite his humble working-class beginnings.

The little black kid from Gary, Ind., crossed racial and musical lines to make his indelible mark on the world. I’ll never forget the excitement and pride of seeing him and his four brothers—the Jackson 5—for the first time in 1969 on CBS’ “Ed Sullivan Show,” decked out in wildly colorful costumes, performing precision choreography and belting out their first No. 1 hit, “I Want You Back.” They became instant idols for me and my friends and the fresh face of what became known as “bubblegum soul.” We knew all the songs, from “ABC” to “The Love You Save” to “Never Can Say Goodbye,” and tried to mimic Michael’s stellar dance moves.

But nobody—repeat, nobody—could dance like Michael Jackson. He could seemingly defy gravity with his effortless Moonwalk, the slow-motion leans, the quick kicks, the blinding spins and fancy footwork. His music videos were like short movies and took the medium to new heights. I was especially mesmerized by the intricacies of the “Thriller” video and watched it over and over again. Michael was absolutely electrifying as an entertainer.

Along with the rest of the world I watched this extraordinary performer grow from the charismatic, sweet-faced boy into a cute but awkward teen, still racking up the hits. He broke away from his brothers and blossomed as a talented solo artist, breaking sales records wide open. But Jackson, as a young adult enjoying tremendous worldwide success with “Off the Wall” and the breakout “Thriller” albums, began to show signs of veering off into a bizarre sphere. He left us scratching our heads and wondering what was happening as his appearance started to morph into gargoyle-like weirdness. He began hanging out with young children and a chimp named Bubbles. He built an amusement park on his lavish Neverland estate and owned a host of exotic animals. He was plagued by scandals, lawsuits and court trials—a true enigma and the butt of jokes for late-night comics.

But despite all that Michael undeniably remained a superstar. I was always amazed at how he could sell out monstrous arenas around the world in minutes and fill them with adoring, screaming and crying fans of every race, creed and color. And they gathered around the world as news of his death spread to shed tears and celebrate his life. Say what you will about him, but Michael was able to touch people with his music. His songs became the soundtrack of our lives. To this day, whenever I hear “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough” or “Billie Jean,” I’m back at a house party among friends, dancing my heart out like there’s no tomorrow.

Unfortunately, there will be no more tomorrows for Michael here on this earth. The thriller has been silenced. May the King of Pop rest in peace.
Barbranda Lumpkins Walls is features editor at the AARP Bulletin.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/opinions/o...-GOOGLE-BULL&HBX_OU=50&HBX_PK=michael_jackson

Several coroner's staffers viewed Jackson file

(AP)
LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles County coroner's official says at least a half-dozen department workers improperly looked up Michael Jackson's death certificate.

Chief Investigator Craig Harvey told the Los Angeles Times Wednesday that in some instances, staff members appeared to have printed copies of the document before it became a public record.

Harvey said only the person investigating the cause of Jackson's death needed to have a copy. A coroner's captain issued an e-mail warning the staff that improper views of the certificate is a violation of internal rules and could result in disciplinary action.

Harvey also revealed that the certificate, stored in a state-supervised computer system, had been viewed more than 300 times. The system can be accessed by coroner's offices, funeral homes, hospitals and county and state registrar's offices.

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hPLRw0C5J9ESGnxkc_F6I2QbVoFwD99JSV200

Who's No. 1 in USA? It's Jackson vs. Eagles in a 'Thriller'

USA Today - Edna Gundersen - "I assume by Christmas there will be a new Jackson album," Caulfield says, predicting either a fresh compilation or a "lost recordings" set from Sony. ...

Kentucky Headhunters still making music today

Camrose Canadian - Johnny Loftus -
Songs From the Grass String Ranch followed in 2000, and Soul appeared in 2003. Big Boss Man, a collection of songs from the Sony-ATV catalog, ...

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1988 - Michael Jackson's single "Dirty Diana" hit #4 in the U.K.

1998 - Disneyland Paris announced that August 17, 1998 would be the last day that Michael Jackson's Captain EO will be shown.

2001 - Janet Jackson's single "Someone To Call My Lover" was released.

2004 - A media lawyer filed a 50-page appeal with the California 2nd District Court of Appeal asking the court to not allow special rules of secrecy for celebrity defendants. The case in question was the ongoing Michael Jackson child molestation case.

Re: Daily News Thread - July 23, 2009

MJ with his plastic surgeon (from the Sun, hope you can see the pics)

SNN2305AN-682_851605a.jpg

SNN2304B-380_851488a.jpg

SNN2305BN-380_851517a.jpg

SNN2305DD-380_851502a.jpg

Jackson 5 Wii game to be released.

A karaoke game featuring songs by the pop group the Jackson 5 is set to be released on the Nintendo Wii, it has been revealed.

Video game publisher Konami has obtained the rights to a number of classic Jackson 5 hits, including ABC, I Want You Back and I'll Be There.

The songs will be featured on the new version of the existing game Karaoke Revolution.

Karaoke J5 will allow users to sing on their own, or recreate the Jackson 5 sound with a group of friends.

Careen Yapp, vice-president of licensing and business development at Konami, said that the game will give fans the chance to experience the group's music in a different way.

He called the music of the band "timeless".

The news follows the recent death of pop legend Michael Jackson, who scored his first number one hit with the band singing lead vocals on I Want You Back.

At the time, Jackson was aged just 11.

http://insidejapantours.com/japan-news/793/jackson-5-wii-game-to-be-released-/

Click the link below for the download link: :)

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/apple...chael_jackson_theme_for_the_apple_iphone.html

Michael Jackson theme for the Apple iPhone

Re-live the King of Pop through your Apple iPhone with this Michael Jackson theme

Published on Jul 23, 2009
The passing of Michael Jackson marked a sad day for pop music. The king of pop produced some of the greatest albums ever recorded back in the 80s, with such classic hits as Billie Jean, Bad and Thriller.
Although he's not with us anymore, you can still keep a memory of his inspiring music with this theme for your LG Viewty. It contains wallpapers relating back to his peak, with artful images of the man himself plus album cover art, customised to suit your phone's screen.
To install the Michael Jackson wallpapers on your iPhone, simply follow these instructions:

1. Click on the download link below to transfer the zip file to your computer
  2. Copy the .jpg images to your My Pictures folder if using a PC and iPhoto if you're using a Mac.
  3. Sync your iPhone with your computer, ensuring it's set to sync images and the My Pictures or iPhoto folders are selected.
  4. When the images are synched with your iPhone, there are two ways to set them as wallpapers. See below for how to do it:

Method 1

• Click the home button to go to the main menu. Then click on Settings
  • In the Settings screen click on Wallpaper
  • Head to Photo Library and select the wallpaper you want to use
  • Once you have selected the photo, you can drag your finger to move it into the position you want and use the finger-thumb pinch to zoom it in or out. When it looks right click on Set Wallpaper

Method 2

• Click the home button to go to the main menu. Then click on Photos
  • Find the photo you want and tap once to make the control overlay appear. Click on the Actions icon in the bottom left corner
  • You can drag your finger to move the image into the position you want and use the finger-thumb pinch to zoom it in or out. When it looks right click on Set Wallpaper
Download the Michael Jackson theme for the Apple iPhone

Michael Jackson’s autobiography to hit shelves

After judge’s ruling, 1988 book ‘Moonwalk’ to be reprinted in five countries

LOS ANGELES - A judge on Thursday cleared the way for Michael Jackson's autobiography, "Moonwalk," to return to store shelves in the United States, Canada and Europe.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff approved a request by the temporary administrators of the pop icon's estate to enter into new publishing deals.

Details of the agreements were filed under seal. But the deals will allow the 1988 book to be reprinted in the United States, Canada, England, Germany and France.

Publishing rights in the United States and Canada will be given to Shaye Areheart, who was the original editor of "Moonwalk." Her company is a part of Random House Inc.

"Moonwalk" has been out of print for more than a decade. It was originally published by Doubleday and was acquired by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.

Other publishers will handle the overseas releases.

The "Moonwalk" rights are the first deal that the temporary administrators of Jackson's estate have brought to Beckloff for approval. The estate is being handled by attorney John Branca and music executive and Jackson family friend John McClain.

Court records state "Moonwalk" could hit store shelves in France by August. The records don't indicate when sales in other countries would begin.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32111862/ns/today-today_books/

Back