Daily News Thread - July 16, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member
Thursday's News and mentionings - a little bit of everything...

NY Graf Artist, Justin Bua, Unveils Michael Jackson Tribute in ...

Examiner.com - Julie Dyer - As a tribute to his upbringing, which was heavily influenced by Michael Jackson, Bua completed and unveiled his “most inspired piece to date” titled King of ...

MUSIC NOTES: Michael Jackson sales move into the millions

Richmond Times Dispatch - Melissa Ruggieri - The week after Michael Jackson's memorial service saw even more sales for the singer's catalog of classic albums. ...

Help! Inside my obsessive Michael Jackson nostalgia, plus an awesome, unmissable video

by Missy Schwartz

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/michael-jackson-obsession.html

For the past two weeks, I’ve been trapped in a strange vortex of Michael Jackson nostalgia that took me completely by surprise. After spending the past 20 or so years not giving much thought to the King of Pop, suddenly I was obsessed. I bought an out-of-print MJ biography on Amazon. I've been staring at old pictures of Jackson as a kid and young man and naively wondering, “How did it all go wrong?” I haven't been able to pick up my iPod without going directly to Thriller or Off the Wall (both of which I recently added), nor can I walk by a computer without throwing myself head first into a YouTube binge of vintage videos.

(Clearly, I am highly susceptible to musical nostalgia.) It all brings back such vivid memories of being in third grade and spending my allowance on MJ earrings at Spencer Gifts. (They were dangly ovals, with that picture of him in a yellow sweater vest. I’m sure you know the one.) And of course I still recall how deeply the "Thriller" video both scared and entranced me, especially if I happened to catch it before climbing up into the top bunk and going to bed.

But enough is enough. I need to lift myself out of this pit of weepy, obsessive reminiscing and get back to pretending I have a life. It just makes me too sad. If I don’t extract myself, my friend (and fantabulous Idolatry producer) Jason Averett might just have to go all intervention on my arse -- something he first mentioned after I yammered on (for about the 800th time) about dancing to “Billie Jean” in a Girl Scout talent show in 1983. I wore a pink leotard, had my hair in French braids…

Ouch! (That was me, slapping myself.) Eh-hem. So seeing as I'm bidding my habit farewell, I thought it only fitting that I offer you a final, unmissable video from 1983. The quality ain't great, but the rare site of a relaxed MJ sitting at home, joking around with big sis La Toya -- at 2:21 he jokes, “I’ve got an idiot for a sister, folks!” in a comical cartoon voice -- and calling to brother Tito off-camera more than makes up for it. The clip below is part 3 of 3, so if you’ve got the time, definitely check out the first (in which he introduces us to his pet llama, Louie) and second (in which he gives a lovely impromptu a capella concert by his backyard water fountain). Jackson was at the height of his Thriller fame here and to see him in such a carefree, human light is unforgettable. And heartbreaking. So go ahead and watch 'em all. I swear you won’t get addicted like me. I can stop anytime! I'm so not going to scoot on over to YouTube right now. No way!

Local Michael Jackson Dancer Recalls Experience

Kriyss Grant Was To Dance In Jackson's London Comeback Tour

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- A West Palm Beach man spent several months with Michael Jackson preparing for his comeback tour in London.​

On Wednesday, Kriyss Grant shared his moves and memories of the late King of Pop.​

Grant just returned home from Los Angeles after months of rehearsals with Jackson. He was one of Jackson's backup dancers.​

"I shook his hand and it was kind of like, 'God,' and I am not trying to be funny, but his energy and his presence is so strong," Grant said of Jackson.​

Grant was a student at G-Star School of the Arts and he has worked with superstars, like Beyonce. But working with Jackson, he said, was the best.​

"My head is still spinning, like, OK, I just got picked to be on Michael Jackson's tour, but I don't know how to react," he said.​

Grant said that, some days, they practiced 16 hours.​

"It was amazing," he said, recalling working with Jackson. "He wanted people that could really feel it and really sell it, meaning that if we performed in front of millions of people, that person way at the top or on the side could feel our energy."

He said he was with the other dancers when he heard Jackson had died.​

"We went out in the Staples (Center) in front of the stage," he said. "It was quiet, and it felt like something was wrong, felt like something wasn't right."​

He said the only addiction he knew about was the one Jackson had on stage.​

"All I know is, when he came on stage, he came alive," Grant said. "That was his home."​

He said that's the Jackson they all knew, every time he got on stage.​

"Michael is going to be a part of me," Grant said. "A part of his spirit is inside of me, dancing right next to him and learning so much from him."​

He said Jackson was in good shape and ready for the tour.​

Grant said he will continue to dance and he is working on an album and clothing line.

http://www.wpbf.com/news/20067824/detail.html

michael-jackson.jpg

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1977 - The ablum "The Jacksons" hit #54 in the U.K.

1983 - Michael Jackson's single "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" hit #5 in the U.S.

1996 - Michael Jackson performed in Brunei to celebrate the 50th birthday of its ruler Sir Hassanai Bokiah.

Morning Ms Snoop. Thanks for the news. Alot of friends are still telling me how surprised they were by their reaction to Michael's death. It knocked them off their feet and I am doing my best to help them realise why so that they can have a better appreciation for the man.

Keeping the faith.
Nancii

This is strange...

The Michael Jackson Effect

by Bruce Wagner

Yes, the King of Pop has ruled iTunes since his death three weeks ago, but what about the rise in blanket sales, lupus diagnoses, and children named Diprivan? A phenomenon has taken place in the weeks after the death of Michael Jackson that has not gone unnoticed by statisticians. It is well-known that, according to SoundScan figures, post-mortem sales of the King of Pop’s albums have accounted for extraordinary numbers—but other, more unexpected repercussions have been noticed as well. For example, after the memorial at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, Staples Office and Supply stores reported that not only had the sales of actual staples spiked but so had that of related materials, such as staplers, staple guns, and even smaller hot-pink mini-staplers favored at preschools. “We are seeing an overall boom in staplers, staples, and for that matter, even rubber bands and laser printer copy paper,” said Walter Regent, of the regional Office Supplies Mart. “His death, untimely as it was, has definitely had a ripple effect on the home and office supply industry.” Other unusual trends noticed in the wake of Mr. Jackson’s death have been a surge in sales of blankets—the late singer’s son is named Blanket—and a renewed, almost “rabid” interest in all things Paris. “We sold more blankets, coverlets and duvets in July than we did in the first two quarters of the year,” said manager Ramon Peres, of Bed, Bath & Beyond. “Many of our customers said they felt compelled to buy something that represented something close to their idol, Michael Jackson.” And few were closer to him, or at least in constant proximity, than his son.
“Paris Hilton represented the tawdrier side of American celebrity; heirs and heiresses who are born to privilege, and become famous for being famous. Paris Jackson is ‘next generation’: she is the new face for those of indeterminate wealth and origin.”​
The French ministry reported a dramatic upswing in visits to the country, in what grief counselors call a “reverse pilgrimage syndrome.” The appearance of Mr. Jackson’s charismatic daughter Paris, and her emotional eulogy at the Staples memorial event, touched a worldwide chord in children and adults alike. “We now have a new, more savory Paris,” said cultural observer Trent Treetosh, PhD. “Paris Hilton represented the tawdrier side of American celebrity; heirs and heiresses who are born to privilege, and become famous for being famous. Paris Jackson is ‘next generation’: she is the new face for those of indeterminate wealth and origin.”
Teachers in the United States have also said that since the spotlight has been on Mr. Jackson’s children, their students have become purposely vague concerning parentage and birth origins. “I have a 7th-grader named Portia [name changed] who was terribly shaken by the death. She told me that she was uncertain who her parents are; of course, I’ve known [her parents] since [she was in] kindergarten.
Portia also breaks down once or twice a day now—I’ll find her crying on the playground, in a quiet corner. When I approach, she’ll say, trance-like, ‘Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine—‘ before trailing off and staring into space. When I lead her back to home room, she cleaves to me just like Paris did to Janet Jackson.” Tabloid speculation has been rife that the true father of the King of Pop’s children might be his longtime friend and dermatologist, Dr. Arnie Klein. Psychotherapists and couples counselors have said that in the wake of these “revelations,” it has become chic for disaffected housewives to drop fictive yet destructive bombshells during arguments with their husbands in which they imply their mutual offspring was the product of the mother’s egg and the sperm of the family internist, dentist, or even optician. “We have also seen a massive uptick not only in the number of patients walking in off the street who believe they have lupus,” said Public Health Commissioner Andrea ReGout, “but what is even more strange is that we are also seeing an actual surge in diagnoses.”
Dr. Klein revealed on Larry King that years ago he had diagnosed Mr. Jackson as having an auto-immune disease. Increases in the following have also been noted: the number of newborns named “Klein,” “5,” and “Diprivan”; chin implants for single women seeking to resemble the their role model Debbie Rowe, mother of Mr. Jackson’s children; and the new status symbol of PFPs, or “personal family physicians,” usually medical students, who travel along with families to vacation spots such as Disney World or the Grand Canyon for a flat fee that starts at $2,000. “We had a wonderful doctor come with us to Sea World,” said Melissa Dailey, of Scarborough, just outside Riverside County. “He never handed out anything stronger than allergy pills, but it was such a comfort having him close by.”
Ms. Dailey began to softly weep. “You know,” she continued, weepily. “Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father I could imagine.” Her husband tucked her into his chest and quietly led her from the interview site.
Bruce Wagner is novelist and screenwriter who lives in Los Angeles. He is a PEN/Faulkner Award nominee.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...chael-jackson-effect/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsR3

There are so many ways that people are honouring Michael. It is great. Thank you, Elusive.

This is strange...

The Michael Jackson Effect

by Bruce Wagner

Yes, the King of Pop has ruled iTunes since his death three weeks ago, but what about the rise in blanket sales, lupus diagnoses, and children named Diprivan? A phenomenon has taken place in the weeks after the death of Michael Jackson that has not gone unnoticed by statisticians. It is well-known that, according to SoundScan figures, post-mortem sales of the King of Pop’s albums have accounted for extraordinary numbers—but other, more unexpected repercussions have been noticed as well. For example, after the memorial at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, Staples Office and Supply stores reported that not only had the sales of actual staples spiked but so had that of related materials, such as staplers, staple guns, and even smaller hot-pink mini-staplers favored at preschools. “We are seeing an overall boom in staplers, staples, and for that matter, even rubber bands and laser printer copy paper,” said Walter Regent, of the regional Office Supplies Mart. “His death, untimely as it was, has definitely had a ripple effect on the home and office supply industry.” Other unusual trends noticed in the wake of Mr. Jackson’s death have been a surge in sales of blankets—the late singer’s son is named Blanket—and a renewed, almost “rabid” interest in all things Paris. “We sold more blankets, coverlets and duvets in July than we did in the first two quarters of the year,” said manager Ramon Peres, of Bed, Bath & Beyond. “Many of our customers said they felt compelled to buy something that represented something close to their idol, Michael Jackson.” And few were closer to him, or at least in constant proximity, than his son.
“Paris Hilton represented the tawdrier side of American celebrity; heirs and heiresses who are born to privilege, and become famous for being famous. Paris Jackson is ‘next generation’: she is the new face for those of indeterminate wealth and origin.”​
The French ministry reported a dramatic upswing in visits to the country, in what grief counselors call a “reverse pilgrimage syndrome.” The appearance of Mr. Jackson’s charismatic daughter Paris, and her emotional eulogy at the Staples memorial event, touched a worldwide chord in children and adults alike. “We now have a new, more savory Paris,” said cultural observer Trent Treetosh, PhD. “Paris Hilton represented the tawdrier side of American celebrity; heirs and heiresses who are born to privilege, and become famous for being famous. Paris Jackson is ‘next generation’: she is the new face for those of indeterminate wealth and origin.”
Teachers in the United States have also said that since the spotlight has been on Mr. Jackson’s children, their students have become purposely vague concerning parentage and birth origins. “I have a 7th-grader named Portia [name changed] who was terribly shaken by the death. She told me that she was uncertain who her parents are; of course, I’ve known [her parents] since [she was in] kindergarten.
Portia also breaks down once or twice a day now—I’ll find her crying on the playground, in a quiet corner. When I approach, she’ll say, trance-like, ‘Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine—‘ before trailing off and staring into space. When I lead her back to home room, she cleaves to me just like Paris did to Janet Jackson.” Tabloid speculation has been rife that the true father of the King of Pop’s children might be his longtime friend and dermatologist, Dr. Arnie Klein. Psychotherapists and couples counselors have said that in the wake of these “revelations,” it has become chic for disaffected housewives to drop fictive yet destructive bombshells during arguments with their husbands in which they imply their mutual offspring was the product of the mother’s egg and the sperm of the family internist, dentist, or even optician. “We have also seen a massive uptick not only in the number of patients walking in off the street who believe they have lupus,” said Public Health Commissioner Andrea ReGout, “but what is even more strange is that we are also seeing an actual surge in diagnoses.”
Dr. Klein revealed on Larry King that years ago he had diagnosed Mr. Jackson as having an auto-immune disease. Increases in the following have also been noted: the number of newborns named “Klein,” “5,” and “Diprivan”; chin implants for single women seeking to resemble the their role model Debbie Rowe, mother of Mr. Jackson’s children; and the new status symbol of PFPs, or “personal family physicians,” usually medical students, who travel along with families to vacation spots such as Disney World or the Grand Canyon for a flat fee that starts at $2,000. “We had a wonderful doctor come with us to Sea World,” said Melissa Dailey, of Scarborough, just outside Riverside County. “He never handed out anything stronger than allergy pills, but it was such a comfort having him close by.”
Ms. Dailey began to softly weep. “You know,” she continued, weepily. “Ever since I was born, Daddy has been the best father I could imagine.” Her husband tucked her into his chest and quietly led her from the interview site.
Bruce Wagner is novelist and screenwriter who lives in Los Angeles. He is a PEN/Faulkner Award nominee.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...chael-jackson-effect/?cid=hp:beastoriginalsR3

That's pretty funny, lol. Good satire.

What makes me mad....to hear media people now being sympathetic to the Pepsi burning when all these years many of them were claiming that Michael only had a burn the size of a quarter....remember those claims? Now that the video has been released, they are now jumping on it and claiming this incident is what caused him to turn to drugs.

That's just about as ridiculous as all this "humanizing" talk.... They're scumbags and that is all there's to it. People have been explaining this shit for years and those assholes didn't want to listen.

Back