Daily News - October 29. 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member

10/29/09, 9:11 am EST

Michael Jackson’s This Is It began its two-week theatrical run by grossing $2.2 million from its special advanced screenings alone, putting the doc on pace for the highest-grossing opening week for a concert film ever. The current record holder is Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour, which made $31 million its opening weekend in 2008, Variety reports. This Is It grossed an additional $2.2 million by midday Wednesday, and early foreign estimates predict the film is doing just as well overseas.

Look back at Jackson’s life and career, in photos.
As Rolling Stone previously reported, Sony bought the hundreds of hours of footage and distribution rights of This Is It for $60 million from AEG Live, the concert promoter staging Jackson’s run of 50 concerts at London’s O2 Arena. Unlike most films that are in production for the better part of a year, This Is It only had a turnaround of three months from when the footage was purchased to when it was released, but by all accounts so far, including Elizabeth Taylor’s, This Is It is a success. The film’s soundtrack is also posed to top the charts next week.

Rolling Stone reported from an advance screening in New York that “This Is It is proof that Jackson did still have it: the magical voice, the gravity-defying moves (most of them), the clear-headed artistic vision of one of the greatest artists of our time.” Audiences were packed with fans paying tribute to Jackson — some came to the theater in bejeweled gloves, others did the “Thriller” dance in the theater lobby.

As a testament of Jackson’s worldwide appeal, when the film premiered in Los Angeles at 6 p.m. PST Tuesday, This Is It was unveiled simultaneously around the world, so many sold-out theaters in Europe were actually premiering the film at 2 a.m. or later.
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...ns-this-is-it-on-pace-to-break-movie-records/

*************************************​

MTV.com - Gil Kaufman -
Predictions were that "Michael Jackson's This Is It" could be the highest-grossing music film of all time, and the documentary chronicling ...

**************************************​

PopEater stopped by Old Navy's Urban Pumpkin Patch last week to see celebrity pumpkin carver McMahon at work carving up a Michael Jackson pumpkin (is it too soon?).​

Surrounded by his other celebrity pumpkin head creations (Brad and Angie, Jon and Kate, Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart), McMahon was able to carve out a freakishly good likeness of the King of Pop in about fifteen minutes.​

"It's the nose and the chin that make him to easy to carve," Hugh said with the love of a father about his MJ pumpkin.​

Jackson was apparently much easier to work on than Jon & Kate Gosselin.​

"They were hard to get on the same pumpkin," Hugh said.​

We can only imagine. From your lips to a judge's ears, Hugh.​

************************************​

San Jose Mercury News -
AP GARY, Ind.—A new campaign has been started to raise money for a museum honoring Michael Jackson in his Indiana hometown. The late pop star's father, ...

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1961 - Stephan Randell (Randy Jackson) was born.

2003 - It was reported that Michael Jackson's "What More Can I Give" charity single had been released as a paid download on the Internet. The release was delayed two years due to disputes over ownership of the song. The charity single was originally intended to aid victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in New York.

I have to say this. Where were all of these kind words from the meida when Michael as ALIVE? MJ is the same person dead as he was when he was alive. I am glad they are talking postive but a part of still get mad.

Comic Flicks | Drama's | Documentaries | Fantasy | Family | Foreign | Indie | Horror | Romance | Sci-Fi | Thriller | Zombie | Video Game
Michael Jacksons This is It Movie Review
10.gif

By: Sheila Roberts

There are few things in life that make your heart soar and change your perspective on the world as much as Michael Jackson did. I first met Michael in October 1978 while I was working as a photographer for the Los Angeles Film Exposition and was assigned to cover the gala West Coast premiere of The Wiz.
Michael attended the premiere and opening night party of the movie at the Plitt’s Century Plaza Theater in Century City (Los Angeles) with the Jackson family and Diana Ross among others. He was a sweet, gentle spirit -- friendly, soft-spoken, and a consummate professional. Even then, Michael had an undeniable power and presence that only grew as he matured as a solo artist.
Seeing him first moonwalk, hearing him sing and watching him perform was an exhilarating, life altering experience. It was as if in every performance he gave us a little piece of his soul. Like his many fans, when I heard he had died tragically just days before he would have begun a series of comeback concerts in London, I felt a profound loss that I still can’t shake.
Michael Jackson was a fierce and amazing performer and This Is It reminds us of what made the King of Pop so magical and extraordinary. It offers Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this summer in London’s O2 Arena.

Directed by longtime collaborator and creative partner Kenny Ortega, who previously staged and designed Michael’s Dangerous and History Tours, the film chronicles the months from March through June 2009, drawing from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Michael rehearsing a number of his songs for the show.
This Is It never got to be fully realized as a stage concert production, but, like a backstage pass, it affords the audience a rare and private glimpse into the last great creative process of a true genius -- a privileged look at Michael as he has never been seen before. The actual show, which Michael created and approved, involved massive stage productions and nearly two dozen set changes. In raw and candid detail, This Is It captures the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius, and great artist at work as he perfects his final show.
Michael comes across as a likeable person who is excited, inspired and nourished by the project. He’s completely in charge doing what he loves best. He projects a joyful exuberance at seeing the show and his vision come to life that’s accompanied by the razor sharp focus of a meticulous perfectionist who wants to make sure every detail is right. He has a polite way of gently insisting on exactly what he wants from his fellow artists. When he dances with a troupe of world class dancers, he’s alive and in the moment as he continually fine tunes the choreography and musical arrangements and sets an energetic pace. And, he can still belt out the tunes with a perfect pitch. There’s no lip sync here, no miming to a pre-recorded track, just his real voice – rich and vibrant.
This Is It opens in spectacular fashion with all the lights down followed by a pyrotechnic display that sizzles, cracks and pops. Next we see a video that provides glimpses and flashes of historic moments on the cultural landscape of Jackson’s lifetime that include images of Nelson Mandela, Princess Di and a Thriller-era Michael in his iconic red jacket. Then, Light Man, a CG-inspired doppelganger comes out on the gantry floating above the stage as a dazzling array of video information is displayed across its exterior. Piece by piece MJ is revealed until he emerges from Light Man and we see a dynamic Michael Jackson literally come alive on stage from his fingertips to his toes, electrifying the audience with his vibrant physicality.
Love has always been the driving force behind Michael’s artistry. For many fans, he was more than a performer. He was an icon, an inspiration, even an obsession. In turn, he genuinely appreciated his fans and was energized by them. At his London press conference earlier this year, he announced “I’ll be performing the songs my fans want to hear.” Then he punctuated it with a very heartfelt personal message just for them, “I love you. I really do. You have to know that. I love you so much, really, from the bottom of my heart.”
Undeniably, that comes across in the show that Michael and his creative team crafted. This Is It is full of the fan’s favorites -- a musical mosaic that celebrates Michael’s music, his ideas, his genius and artistry. Michael wanted to please all his fans by putting on the ultimate live show. He also saw This Is It as an opportunity to involve his children in his creative life now that they were old enough to appreciate it and he was still young enough to do it. The end result is riveting – and poignant when you realize what the London concerts could have been. I think his fans and family will be pleased.
Ortega has done a masterful job directing the movie and preserving this slice of Michael’s legacy for his fans. He resists gimmicky filmmaking techniques or the temptation to go for cheap sentimentality. Dance numbers are shot in intimate close-up and different rehearsals of the same song are intercut so that you can see the evolution of the creative process and appreciate the top notch musicianship and intricate dance work. Ortega lets us see the mistakes, the re-dos, and the collaborative exchanges between Michael and the dancers and musicians as they work out the flaws and imperfections.
The rehearsal footage is impressive – from Michael being dropped into a 1940’s film noir starring Rita Hayworth and shooting it out with Humphrey Bogart, to creating green screen visual effects for a 3-D Thriller sequence, to a production number set in the Amazon rain forest designed to raise environmental awareness. There are funny moments too like when the back-up dancers struggle to perfect the famous crotch grab. There’s also a particularly touching moment when Michael closes his eyes at the conclusion of a particularly difficult dance number and smiles when he realizes the execution was absolutely perfect.
Michael Jackson was without a doubt one of the greatest entertainers of our time and the last of the great song and dance men. There was something so special about him that compelled you to listen and let him hold court. I doubt we will see anyone quite like him ever again. He had a tremendous influence on popular culture. He was a huge inspiration to so many of today’s artists. He was also a generous humanitarian who was passionate about making the world a better place. He touched everybody and will forever live in our hearts.
This Is It is a terrific film. Don’t miss it while you can see Michael’s magic in theaters on a big screen.

Agree with this review? Disagree? Share your own Opinion by writing your own review for this

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movie_review_detail.php?id=13917

ECHL team honors Michael Jackson with jersey, white glove

By Sean Leahy
ept_sports_nhl_experts-716914736-1256845572.jpg

The Bakersfield Condors of the ECHL have decided "This Is It" and will be honoring late music icon Michael Jackson with their "King of Pop Jersey Raffle & Auction" Friday night when the team faces off against the Utah Grizzlies.

They will wear oh-so-perfectly themed King of Pop jerseys (production art here), modeled above by team captain and Anaheim Ducks prospect Shawn Weller(notes).

ept_sports_nhl_experts-517503776-1256845610.jpg

To further the promotion, Bakersfield players will wear one white glove during the game, like the one Ducks prospect Maxime Macenauer(notes) broke in during practice on Thursday.

Plus, if your name happens to be "Michael Jackson" or "Billie Jean", then you get a free ticket. Apologies to anyone named "Macaulay", "Webster" or "Bubbles" -- you'll need to drop some cash for ducats.

Lest we forget, this week is the opening of the Michael Jackson concert movie, "This Is It". As with most of these funky jersey promotions, the Condors' sweaters will be auctioned off to benefit Children's Miracle Network.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...Michael-Jackson-with-jersey-wh?urn=nhl,199026

Sony won't release 'This Is It' DVD before holidays

Theater owners had balked at the studio's request to narrow the normal release window for the Michael Jackson film...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-sony30-2009oct30,0,1895851.story

50163226.jpg

Last edited:
the movie is just great-it made me laught,appreciate Michael's genius and love him as a person!we will love you foreever Mickey!

Back