Daily News - November 2, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member
This is it - is doing an outstanding job at the box office...

Jackson’s ‘This Is It’ Is Top Weekend Movie With $21.3 Million

By Inyoung Hwang and Lester Pimentel

Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) -- “Michael Jackson’s This Is It” was the top film in ticket sales in U.S. and Canadian theaters this weekend, bringing in $21.3 million for distributor Sony Corp.

“Michael Jackson’s This Is It” follows the final days of the singer’s life, and is Sony’s seventh first-place debut this year. The company ranks third among the six major studios in U.S. ticket sales this year with $1.13 billion as of Oct. 29, according to Sherman Oaks, California-based Box Office Mojo, which also tracks receipts.

“It was expected to be the top-grossing film,” said Brandon Gray, editor at Box Office Mojo. “It probably didn’t match the hype surrounding it. It’s still a very good opening for that type of a picture. The norm is for those films to do very little business.”

The movie, directed by Kenny Ortega, includes interviews, rehearsal and backstage footage of Jackson preparing for his planned 50 concerts in London’s O2 Arena before his death in June. The film opened Oct. 28 with $20.1 million in sales worldwide and was scheduled for a limited two-week theatrical run.

“Next weekend is the start of the holiday season,” said Gray. “‘A Christmas Carol’ is the biggest movie opening next weekend. It’s a good time for a Christmas movie. It would be surprising if ‘A Christmas Carol’ wasn’t No. 1. ‘This Is It’ should see a significant drop off,” he said.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601088&sid=aOh2.jtLTof4

********************************​

Oscar voter: Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' will be nominated for best picture

A veteran Oscar voter predicts Michael Jackson's "This Is It" will be nominated for best picture based upon its reception at today's academy screening. He e-mails Gold Derby this report, "Just attended Sunday afternoon screening of 'This Is It' at AMPAS in Goldwyn Theater before a capacity audience (1,000 seats) to experience the most enthusiastic response I've every witnessed in 40 years of academy screenings. Similar to but better than the reaction given to 'Chicago' a few years ago Audience broke into applause at least 10 times. They were 'mesmerized' and gave film an enormous reception as credits rolled. The editing is brilliant. I predict it will be the first doc to ever make the best picture nomination list, especially now that there are 10 best pic noms. I also consider the work 'a gift to the world.' "

What do other people think? We asked Gold Derby readers in a poll that received more than 1,300 responses. See results here.

Michael Jackson's "This Is It" is not eligible in all races at the Oscars. Read details here

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards...tertainment-news-841962573-story-article.html

*******************************************​

Dame Shirley Bassey devastated by Michael Jackson's death

WalesOnline -
DAME Shirley Bassey has revealed Michael Jackson was planning to cover her James Bond theme Goldfinger at his ill-fated O2 residency. ...

michael_jackson_feels_wise_and_sage_but_not_little_boys_main_4482.0.0.0x0.340x399.jpeg

Today in
Michael Jackson History

2000 - Michael Jackson's mini-film "Ghosts" was shown at the International Fantastic Film Festival in Tokyo, Japan.

2001 - It was announced that Michael Jackson would make his first in-store appearance on the following Wednesday (November 7) to promote the album "Invincible." The album was his all-new studio album in 10 years

No Oscar nomination will happen, how can anybody think about it...?

As a documentary maybe, but... the best picture..., its ridiculous...

wonder who that oscar voter was cause they are certainly gushing. not liz i hope lol

No Oscar nomination will happen, how can anybody think about it...?

As a documentary maybe, but... the best picture..., its ridiculous...

Not so true, it could totally happen. First of all the documentary deadline has passed, so that's out.

BUT the best picture nods will be TEN (10) pictures this year, instead of the usual five. So it could very well happen and I'm also positive that the power's that be, know adding this file to the roster will bring some new excitement to the entire process, in my opinion.

Ridiculous: I don't think so!

LaToya Jackson Makes Millions Of Milkshakes

LaToya Jackson Makes Millions Of Milkshakes

latoya-jackson-makes-millions-of-milkshakes.jpg

LaToya Jackson works behind the counter in her Halloween costume at Millions of Milkshakes on Saturday (October 31) in Los Angeles, Calif.

The 53-year-old sister of the late Michael Jackson revealed last month that his kids are in therapy, coping with the loss of their father.

“They all go to therapy and I truly hope Prince especially will be able to open up,” LaToya told The Mirror. Prince, 12, Paris, 11 and Prince Michael II, 7, also known as Blanket, are currently being raised by their grandmother Katherine Jackson.

Read more: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2009/11/02/latoya-jackson-makes-millions-of-milkshakes/#ixzz0VifQhfU6

Back