Daily News - November 12, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member

Michael Jackson received five posthumous American Music Award nominations, and the upcoming ABC award show will turn to one of Jackson's siblings to open its broadcast. Following her gala-launching tribute at the MTV Video Music Awards, Janet Jackson will lead off the Nov. 22 AMAs with what's billed as a "special opening performance."
Just prior to Janet's appearance on the AMAs, the artist will release her "Number Ones," a two-disc set capturing her biggest hits. Yet even with the greatest hits package, and a new single in "Make Me," one can bet that Janet will undoubtedly lead an AMA tribute to her brother.

“We’re thrilled about having Janet Jackson open this year’s show,” said American Music Awards producer Larry Klein in a news release. “She is an incredibly dynamic performer, and I think the audience will be excited to see what she has in store.”

Janet gave a dance overview of Michael's career at the recent MTV VMAs. The AMAs will air live on the East Coast at 8 p.m. from downtown's Nokia Theatre.

Other previously announced performers include Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Green Day, Shakira, Lil’ Wayne, Mary J. Blige, Keith Urban, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Lopez, the Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry and Adam Lambert.

Warhol's Michael Jackson portrait sells for $812,000

NEW YORK (AP) -- A "Thriller"-era silk-screened portrait of Michael Jackson created by Andy Warhol has sold for $812,500 to an anonymous collector.

The artwork sold at Christie's in New York City Tuesday evening.

Christie's estimated that the portrait would sell for $500,000 to $700,000.

The 1984 portrait depicts a smiling Jackson in a jacket with squiggles of red and yellow in his hair.

The auction house says the seller is an anonymous private collector based in New York who bought the image from the Andy Warhol Foundation in the 1990s. It did not say who bought the artwork.

The image was one of 47 lots auctioned Tuesday, including two other Warhol paintings.
http://thestamfordtimes.com/story/477997

young_michael_09.jpg

UPDATE 1-Classic rockers upgraded to key us pop chart

Reuters - Dean Goodman, Jill Serjeant -
LOS ANGELES, Nov 11 (Reuters) - Good news for fans of Michael Jackson, the Beatles and other veteran artists. The compilers of the Billboard 200, ...

'Glee' Cast Hopes to Cover Michael Jackson

Extra TV -
"Michael Jackson would be unreal," Kevin McHale, who plays wheelchair-bound Artie Abrams, tells "Extra" of covering new artists. "Any Michael Jackson song. ...

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1990 - Janet Jackson's singles "Control," "What Have You Done For Me Lately," and "When I Think of You" were certified Gold by the RIAA.

1993 - Michael Jackson canceled a world tour, saying that he had a dependence on painkillers.

1993 - Michael Jackson's "Dangerous - The Short Films" was released on home video.

2001 - Michael Jackson's "Dangerous - The Short Films" and "History - Video Greatest Hits Special DVD Edition" were released on DVD.

2001 - The first part of an "Entertainment Tonight" exclusive interview with Michael Jackson aired. Part two aired the following night.

Michaelboots-thumb-350x588.jpg

Michael Jackson received five posthumous American Music Award nominations, and the upcoming ABC award show will turn to one of Jackson's siblings to open its broadcast. Following her gala-launching tribute at the MTV Video Music Awards, Janet Jackson will lead off the Nov. 22 AMAs with what's billed as a "special opening performance."
Just prior to Janet's appearance on the AMAs, the artist will release her "Number Ones," a two-disc set capturing her biggest hits. Yet even with the greatest hits package, and a new single in "Make Me," one can bet that Janet will undoubtedly lead an AMA tribute to her brother.

“We’re thrilled about having Janet Jackson open this year’s show,” said American Music Awards producer Larry Klein in a news release. “She is an incredibly dynamic performer, and I think the audience will be excited to see what she has in store.”

Janet gave a dance overview of Michael's career at the recent MTV VMAs. The AMAs will air live on the East Coast at 8 p.m. from downtown's Nokia Theatre.

Other previously announced performers include Whitney Houston, Rihanna, Green Day, Shakira, Lil’ Wayne, Mary J. Blige, Keith Urban, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Lopez, the Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Daughtry and Adam Lambert.

I look forward to it. I think it is not going to be a tribute for Michael so I think perhaps she will include a little something about him in her performance.

Angela Zhang bids for Michael Jackson vinyl record, snatched away by Jackie Chan for $1.57 million
For her beloved Michael Jackson vinyl record, Angela Zhang would not give up even for famous showbiz veteran Jackie Chan! Recently, the two of them were intensely bidding for an autographed MJ vinyl record, in the end the bid shot up to a crazy $330,000 RMB (approx $1.57 million NTD).

On November 2, Angela Zhang flew over to Shanghai to sing "Invisible Wings" for the "2009 Gary Player Invitational Event" which was a charity function in support of orphans suffering from AIDS. Furthermore, she participated in a charity auction together with Jackie Chan, Wilber Pan, JJ Lin and other artists, all giving their compassion. Unexpectedly, Jackie Chan and Angela Zhang became bidding opponents.

At the function, JJ Lin was in charge of auctioning a limited edition autographed Jackson vinyl record at the opening bid of $100,000 RMB. Angela Zhang who has always seen Michael Jackson as her idol, immediately started to bid. Who knew that Jackie Chan would follow, shouting prices with a determined expression. The two of them consecutively bidded 4-5 times, competing fiercely; in the end Jackie Chan was the highest bidder as $330,000 RMB, making Angela feel a bit disappointed.

Angela who lost the bid, sang her signature comforting song "Invisible Wings" at the function and suddenly asked Jackie Chan to come onstage to sing with her. He assertively went onstage and although he wasn't very familiar with the lyrics, he still happily hummed along. This was their first duet together and although this had not been rehearsed before, they had great tacit understanding and the atmosphere of the scene reached its peak.

http://udn.com/NEWS/ENTERTAINMENT/ENT2/5233525.shtml

Back