Daily News - Monday, October 26, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member
The show that never was

Singer’s death cuts short La. native’s role as wardrobe supervisor

For more than a decade, Abby Franklin has catered to the wardrobe needs of rock stars. Prince, Bon Jovi, Creed, Van Halen, Mötley Crüe. She’s been on tour with the best of them.

But the Louisiana native’s biggest gig was yet to come.

And, now, it never will.

Franklin, whose parents Norma and Sonny Franklin live in Clinton, was the wardrobe supervisor for the band and backup singers for Michael Jackson’s London concert series.

“We were a week away from dress rehearsals when he died,” Franklin said in a phone interview from New York earlier this month.

Glimpses of what would have been are in the new film, “Michael Jackson’s This Is It,” which opens in theaters Wednesday. The movie was culled from film shot during rehearsals, little of which includes the costumes.

Franklin, who was there night after night as Jackson rehearsed, might even be in the film.

“I haven’t seen the final version. In the first cut, I was there. In the second one, I’m not there at all,” she said. “But, even if the scene is put back in, you kind of have to look for me.”

However, she thinks she will be on the “extras” of the DVD coming out in conjunction with the film.

“I tell about my first meeting with Michael. It was during rehearsal and he came into the dressing room,” she said, only willing to add this tease: “It has to do with ants.”

Franklin’s job for the tour, which was going to run for 50 shows at London’s 02 arena starting on July 13, was to dress the band, the backup singers and local performers who would take part in what’s been described as a “theater musical experience,” complete with aerial dancing similar to Cirque du Soleil routines.

Jackson’s longtime costumer Michael Bush and a young designer known only as Zaldy designed the looks for the star and his dancers. More than 300,000 crystals by Swarovski were being used in the show, she said.

“The costumes were amazing,” said Franklin, lamenting that not all of them will be shown in the film. “They were truly beautiful, with all these intricate details. The costumes were really pieces of art Michael was going to wear.”

She said some costumes will be showcased at the movie’s Los Angeles premiere — Franklin was still gluing crystals to one dancer’s costume during this interview — and the DVD will include a tour of Michael’s costumes.

Franklin’s job meant coming up with between 150 and 175 costumes, which include everything from hats to shoes, from rings to bracelets. The concert was to have between 18 and 22 songs, she explained.

“There were costume changes for almost every song,” Franklin said.

But that was only part of it.

Franklin started the job in late April and was there as the show developed.

“We went from a small rehearsal space, to the Forum to the Staples Center,” she said. “You could see it all coming together.”
Franklin said her duties “changed on a daily basis.”

“There really was no schedule yet. One day I left my desk at 3 p.m. for a few minutes and didn’t get back until 6‰ hours later.
Everything was still coming in, so it was something different every day. One day I got a call that there was a delivery for me. It was 2 tons of Swarovski crystals — they were a big partner in the tour. They were to be used for the crystal chandeliers, so I had to call the company making them and tell them their stuff was here.”

Many days were spent “watching rehearsals and noticing the little things, like how the dancers moved. If his hands were on his shirt, did he need straps for snapping his suspenders? You would see what things needed to be adjusted. … Or how they came on and off stage.
How much time before they were back on stage, so where would they change? What would make it easier when you have a 10-second change for four people?”

Franklin said many of those adjustments would have been made during rehearsals in London.

Franklin is one of the rare few who got to see the intended concert.

Watching Jackson every night was “unbelievable,” she said.

“Some nights, you just got chills,” Franklin said, adding this story: “I love the song ‘Human Nature,’ but it was not in the original set. But one night he started singing it and the band started playing it. I was sitting up there watching and the fan in me just took over. I usually try to stay professional, but it just busted out and I was like ‘yeah!’”

Franklin was at the Staples Center the day word came about Jackson’s death.

At first, she said, they were told the star had had a heart attack, but that all would be fine.

“Everyone just sort of went back to work. I was calling a friend for her birthday when I saw the director get a phone call and he just kept saying, ‘Say it again. Say it again. Say it again,’ and one of his producers started bawling.

“I mean it was like 10 minutes from when we heard it was a heart attack to being told that he had passed.”

The Staples Center went on “lock down,” she said. “No one was allowed in and you were checked when you left.”

One of Franklin’s talents perfected over her years of taking care of rock stars was getting their dressing rooms set up at the show venue. She had done the same for Jackson at the rehearsal halls.

“You know, get the TV, the DVD, the music,” said Franklin. “I would get the stuff needed. Make sure he had magazines every day and toys for his kids.”

She did the same at his memorial service.

“It was so busy. We set up the family room for the Jackson family, and had to make sure all of the performers’ stuff was ready to go. I’d rather work than not,” she said. “Michael’s band was up there, and you had all these celebrities. You had the people who produced the Grammys taking care of the (celebrities’) arrivals and seating and making sure they made it to the stage…

“I stayed backstage until the brothers left,” she said.

The film, Franklin said, will “remove any doubts. It’s going to show that he was the best entertainer in the world. Everything just came naturally to him.”

She said she’s a little sad people won’t get to see the intended show.

“So much work was put into it.… It was going to be so good.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/65956137.html?showAll=y&c=y

badera472.jpg

It's thrill time

Texas A&M The Battalion - Megan Keyho - At 7:20 pm Saturday, 77 people took their places on the front lawn of Sbisa and waited for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" to start playing. ..

Roy Williams upset with himself

Dallas Morning News - Roy Williams was in a Michael Jackson mood after the game at least in dress. He was sporting a Michael Jackson t-shirt and black pants that barely went to ...

Four months after his death, the King of Pop lives on.

Literary agent David Vigliano is shopping a book of the private writings and drawings of Michael Jackson, according to industry sources. Interested publishing executives have been visiting the agent's midtown offices to view the material, which comes from the estate of the late pop star.

The writings include “musings on his craft and various songs,” says an executive who made the trip, and is only a sample of the treasure trove available from the estate. “There were promises of a lot more,” says the executive.

Mr. Vigliano has been down this road before. In 2002, he sold the diaries of the late Kurt Cobain for $4 million.

Mr. Jackson's posthumous career includes at least one other book deal. Sources say that the Villard imprint of Random House recently paid $800,000 for Fated, a graphic novel that the pop star was working on before his death. It will be published next June. Mr. Vigliano did not respond to calls seeking comment.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20091025/SUB/310259985/0/toc

***********************************​

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1989 - Janet Jackson's album "Control" was certified five times Platinum by the RIAA.

2001 - Michael Jackson took part in a webchat on his official website.

2009 - Sony Music Entertainment's Columbia/Epic Label Group released the two-disc album "This Is It" internationally. The set featured the music that inspired Sony Pictures' forthcoming film "MICHAEL JACKSON'S THIS IS IT." This two-disc album was released in Northa America on October 27th.

Mr. Jackson's posthumous career includes at least one other book deal. Sources say that the Villard imprint of Random House recently paid $800,000 for Fated, a graphic novel that the pop star was working on before his death. It will be published next June. Mr. Vigliano did not respond to calls seeking comment.

Hmm, wonder what this is all about??

Michael Jackson Cash-in ‘This Is It’ Mixes Hits, Poetry: Review

Michael Jackson Cash-in ‘This Is It’ Mixes Hits, Poetry: Review

data

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The Michael Jackson bandwagon starts rolling big time today with the far from aptly titled “This Is It,” aimed at milking the King of Pop’s legacy.

The album follows the preview of the title track earlier this month and precedes the “Michael Jackson’s ‘This Is It’” movie, which opens on Oct. 28, with a DVD to follow. That’s not even mentioning the 100 unreleased Jackson tracks in the vaults.

The CD itself offers scant clue of what’s to come. The first disc is a non-chronological greatest hits of his solo studio work, with the supposedly new song tacked on the end.

Here again, we have the masters of much that made Jackson great, such as the thumping beat of “Billie Jean” and the funky “Wanna Be Startin’ Something.” Still, there’s no “Bad” or “Dangerous,” which are replaced by the sub par “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)” and the sugary “This Is It,” here both in its original version and an orchestral one that was intended for his never-to-be live show at London’s O2 arena.

There are already plenty of Jackson compilations -- on a single disc, “Number Ones,” and on a double there’s “The Essential Michael Jackson” and “HIStory.” These are the best starting points, with the new disc only a taster for the movie.

The song “This Is It,” Paul Anka has declared, was originally planned as a 1983 duet called “I Never Heard.” The track, which gets its first official release after streaming on Jackson’s Web site, is neither the best nor worst of his work.

The short second disc is more interesting, with three raw demo versions of “Wanna Be Startin’ Something,” “She’s Out of My Life” and “Beat It.”

Spoken Poem

It finishes with a spoken poem by Jackson, “Planet Earth.” It has wordplay that ranges from sixth-grade doggerel to touching insight. Jackson is likely to have fans weeping as he signs off saying “planet earth gentle and blue, with all my heart I love you.”

If this were Jackson’s only compilation, it would rate ****. Still, there are better collections, so it gets ***.

“This Is It” is on Sony, priced at $9.99. Download fees vary across services.

For more information, see http://www.thisisit-movie.com/ and http://michaeljackson.com.

What the Stars Mean:
**** Excellent
*** Good
** Average
* Poor
(No stars) Worthless
(Mark Beech writes for Bloomberg News and is the author of “The Dictionary of Rock and Pop Names.” The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer on the story: Mark Beech in London at mbeech@bloomberg.net.

Jackson’s ‘This Is It’ May Make $400 Million in Sales

Jackson’s ‘This Is It’ May Make $400 Million in Sales

data

Oct. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Michael Jackson’s movie and CD may generate as much as $400 million in sales worldwide as fans turn out to see and hear the last live performances of the late King of Pop.

“Michael Jackson’s This Is It” album, featuring one new song, goes on sale starting today. The movie with the same title opens Oct. 28 in more than 90 countries, including 3,400 theaters in the U.S., according to Hollywood.com Box-Office.

More than 1,000 U.S. shows were sold out as of Oct. 22, according to the online ticket vendor Fandango.com. Cinemas in London, Sydney, Bangkok and Tokyo also reported sellouts, according to Sony Corp., which is releasing the film and the album. In the U.K., sales topped those of “Harry Potter” and “The Lord of the Rings” at the Vue Entertainment Ltd. chain.

“It’s a true phenomenon,” said Tim Richards, chief executive officer of London-based Vue, whose cinema near the O2 Arena, where Jackson was scheduled to perform a series of comeback concerts, is among those that sold out.

Jackson’s work may be prized more after his death than it was in life, said Robert Sillerman, CEO of CKX Inc., the New York-based operator of Graceland, Elvis Presley’s Tennessee home, and co-producer of “American Idol.”

“In death, people remember the best of somebody,” Sillerman said. “Certainly that is turning out to be the case in Elvis and the Beatles. I think it will turn out to be the case in Michael’s situation.”

Ticket Sales

Jackson died at age 50 on June 25 in Los Angeles of a drug overdose, three weeks before the concerts were set to begin. Sony, the singer’s music label, won a bidding war for a documentary film built around footage compiled during rehearsals, agreeing to pay $60 million, according to court documents.

The film may generate $300 million to $400 million in global ticket sales, said Jeff Bock, a box-office analyst for Los Angeles-based researcher Exhibitor Relations Co. U.S. sales in the first five days may be $55 million to $60 million, said Jeffrey Hartke, an analyst with Los Angeles-based Hollywood Stock Exchange, which forecasts film performance.

The two-disc album, with the new track “This is It,” as well as “Billie Jean,” “Smooth Criminal” and “Thriller,” may sell 200,000 to 500,000 copies in the U.S., according to Silvio Pietroluongo, director of sales charts at Billboard magazine. The suggested retail price of $17.98 has been marked down to $9.99 at Amazon.com Inc.

The releases may help dent the hundreds of millions of dollars in debt the entertainer ran up during his lifetime.

Paying Off Debt

Jackson’s estate gets 90 percent of profit from the movie after Sony is paid for its role, including marketing and distribution fees, according to two people with knowledge of the arrangement. Concert promoter AEG Live, owned by Denver billionaire Philip Anschutz, gets the remaining 10 percent.

The promoter recouped about $36 million it invested in Jackson’s canceled tour from the $60 million Sony paid for rehearsal footage, according to one of the people.

The estate will use proceeds from the movie and the album to reduce Jackson’s debt, said another person, who declined to be identified because the matters are private.

A spokesman for Los Angeles-based AEG confirmed the profit split between the estate and the promoter. Lois Najarian, a spokeswoman for Sony Music, declined to comment.

A spokesman for Jackson’s estate declined to comment. The singer died owing about $400 million, the Associated Press has estimated.

Quarterly Lift

Tokyo-based Sony will likely see little profit from the film until it is released on DVD, said Daniel Ernst, an analyst with Hudson Square Research in New York who recommends the shares and doesn’t own them.

“Its hard to imagine that it has much if any measurable impact on Sony,” Ernst said. “Should the DVD perform well, we could see it giving Sony Pictures a bit of a lift in the quarter it comes out.”

U.S. traded Sony shares fell 35 cents to $28.91 on Oct. 23 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has gained 32 percent this year.

The movie follows Jackson from his initial work on the London concert series to the final dress rehearsal. It includes interviews with friends and collaborators.

Director Kenny Ortega declined to forecast sales, saying he didn’t know whether the film would attract more than loyal fans.

“I hope the word gets out,” Ortega said in an interview. “I hope there will be some curiosity and interest.”

Concert Films

Concert films typically aren’t big hits, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office at Los Angeles-based Hollywood.com, which tracks receipts.

The record belongs to Walt Disney Co.’s “Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour.”

Released last year, the film generated $70.6 million worldwide, according to Sherman Oaks, California-based Box Office Mojo, which also tracks sales. “Madonna: Truth or Dare” took in $29 million worldwide in 1991. “U2 3D” did $16.6 million in 2008, according to Box Office Mojo.

In Brazil, exhibitor Cinemas Severiano Ribeiro, with 211 theaters, sold 25,000 tickets to “This Is It” through Oct. 23. That compares with 32,000 for “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” which opens on Nov. 20. Sales for both movies started Sept. 25.

Consumers have purchased 5.6 million copies of previously released Jackson albums since his death, according to Nielsen SoundScan. For the year to date, his sales total 5.9 million. The next closest is country singer Taylor Swift, who has sold 2.3 million albums this year, according to SoundScan.

Best Seller

Jackson’s estate and his record company were sorting through ownership of about 100 unreleased Jackson tracks, Sony’s U.S. finance chief, Rob Wiesenthal, said in July. Most are owned by the estate or by Sony, he said then.

Jackson, who won 13 Grammy Awards and sold more than 750 million records, rose to stardom with his brothers in the Jackson 5, then moved to a solo career that peaked with the 1982 release of “Thriller,” the top-selling album of all time worldwide, according to Sony.

In later years, he became tabloid fodder as he altered his appearance through plastic surgery, faced allegations of child sexual abuse and refinanced debt to stave off bankruptcy.

Los Angeles Police Department detectives are investigating the singer’s death from an overdose of propofol, a drug used to anesthetize patients in hospitals and clinics, and the role played by the entertainer’s physician, Conrad Murray.

The 02 concerts were the beginning of a comeback, “This Is It” director Ortega said. The singer was considering additional shows outside the U.K., he said.

Jackson and Ortega also discussed working together to develop feature films, including one based on gangster Legs Diamond and another derived from Jackson’s “Thriller” video.

“He was far from retiring,” Ortega said. “There was lots of living left to do.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Michael White in Los Angeles at mwhite8@bloomberg.net; Adam Satariano in San Francisco at asatariano1@bloomberg.net.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aPXP9Ck00JRM

Jackson's fans want to boycott his film

Jackson's fans want to boycott his film

Late pop legend Michael Jackson's fans want to boycott his latest film This Is It because they feel it has been made just to make money.

According to thesun.co.uk, fans pointed out that the movie does not mention Jackson's bad health during his last days and the stress that he had to endure while working on his comeback before he eventually died in June.

Almost 20,000 hits on the site have been registered just within 24 hours and over 13 branches. "The film has been craftily edited to maximise profits," said the spokesperson Giovanni Panunzio.

Even a few family members seem to be unhappy with Jackson's father Joe and sister La Toya claiming that Sony Pictures used stand-ins in the film.

http://sify.com/movies/hollywood/fullstory.php?id=14916893

Jackson estate is heating up rights war

By PETER LAURIA
Last Updated: 2:05 AM, October 26, 2009
Posted: 1:01 AM, October 26, 2009
Representatives of Michael Jackson's estate are talking to Universal Music Group and others about submitting a competing bid -- just as Sony Music is close to inking a deal for the King of Pop's unreleased material, The Post has learned.
Sony Music and lawyers John Branca and John McClain -- the court-appointed reps for Jackson's estate -- are in advanced talks to extend Jackson's deal with the label to cover any recordings made after 2004.
Under current terms, the label controls the rights to recordings made prior to 2004 until they revert to the estate in a few years. However, about 70 unreleased songs created after 2004 are up for grabs. Jackson died June 25.
Sources said the estate is seeking a large upfront payment and a higher royalty rate in any new deal, and that Sony is offering one or the other but not both.
"We're trying to figure out the terms," said a source involved in the talks.
Sources said the estate would like to set a new deal while interest in Jackson is still high, with the goal of getting the first album of new material in stores by early next year.
As Jackson's incumbent record label, one source said of the deal with Sony, "It's theirs to lose."
A second person involved in the talks with Sony said there was at least one other bidder for the post-2004 recordings. This person declined to name the company and characterized its interest as informal. Two other sources close to the situation pegged Universal as the other bidder.
"Nobody talks to EMI anymore, and Warner Music is weak internationally," said one source. "Universal and Sony have the two best worldwide distribution systems, so Branca is probably trying to play them against each other to get the highest bid."
A Universal rep denied the label was interested. Jackson's estate and Sony each declined to comment.
Absent a competing bid, leverage in the talks could swing to either the estate or Sony depending on the performance of this week's release of the concert film "This Is It" and its accompanying soundtrack.
peter.lauria@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/business/*****_estate_is_heating_up_rights_iqDdSZAmjMrkfjs3gzCQlM

Jackson estate is heating up rights war

By PETER LAURIA
Last Updated: 2:05 AM, October 26, 2009
Posted: 1:01 AM, October 26, 2009
Representatives of Michael Jackson's estate are talking to Universal Music Group and others about submitting a competing bid -- just as Sony Music is close to inking a deal for the King of Pop's unreleased material, The Post has learned.
Sony Music and lawyers John Branca and John McClain -- the court-appointed reps for Jackson's estate -- are in advanced talks to extend Jackson's deal with the label to cover any recordings made after 2004.
Under current terms, the label controls the rights to recordings made prior to 2004 until they revert to the estate in a few years. However, about 70 unreleased songs created after 2004 are up for grabs. Jackson died June 25.
Sources said the estate is seeking a large upfront payment and a higher royalty rate in any new deal, and that Sony is offering one or the other but not both.
"We're trying to figure out the terms," said a source involved in the talks.
Sources said the estate would like to set a new deal while interest in Jackson is still high, with the goal of getting the first album of new material in stores by early next year.
As Jackson's incumbent record label, one source said of the deal with Sony, "It's theirs to lose."
A second person involved in the talks with Sony said there was at least one other bidder for the post-2004 recordings. This person declined to name the company and characterized its interest as informal. Two other sources close to the situation pegged Universal as the other bidder.
"Nobody talks to EMI anymore, and Warner Music is weak internationally," said one source. "Universal and Sony have the two best worldwide distribution systems, so Branca is probably trying to play them against each other to get the highest bid."
A Universal rep denied the label was interested. Jackson's estate and Sony each declined to comment.
Absent a competing bid, leverage in the talks could swing to either the estate or Sony depending on the performance of this week's release of the concert film "This Is It" and its accompanying soundtrack.
peter.lauria@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/business/*****_estate_is_heating_up_rights_iqDdSZAmjMrkfjs3gzCQlM

that's an interesting article, but it's impossible to believe that Universal aren't in talks to secure the rights to new material. They'd have to be stupid to not even try to negotiate for it. Sony shouldn't be given an easy ride.
A new MJ album could potentially be a massive seller and in these days of low record sales, it is a prospect worth fighting over IMO.
I hope that Sony don't get the rights because as far as I'm concerned they've been mis-handling MJ's music catalogue for years now and I don't want that to continue.
Mike was apparently in talks with Universal prior to his death and played some of it to their top execs, so they have already heard snippets of the new music and have an idea what it's like. They might be playing it low key but I doubt they're uninterested.

I hope that Sony don't get the rights because as far as I'm concerned they've been mis-handling MJ's music catalogue for years now and I don't want that to continue.

I agree! I believe it is time for a change and I hope to see it happen for the best.

Yeah, I hope Sony is not the choosed rokord company. MJ signed no contract with them and I am sure Sony was not the company he would have picked. They earn much too much with the movie already

Sony is assuming the role of the jilted boyfriend "They'll come back to me, you watch" syndrome.

Let them. I hope Universal gives them everything they got.

BTW, Universal also has a much stronger film company to release MJ videos/dvds - so Branca & McClain, draw your line in the sand & get that money for MJs babies!

that's an interesting article, but it's impossible to believe that Universal aren't in talks to secure the rights to new material. They'd have to be stupid to not even try to negotiate for it. Sony shouldn't be given an easy ride.
A new MJ album could potentially be a massive seller and in these days of low record sales, it is a prospect worth fighting over IMO.
Mike was apparently in talks with Universal prior to his death and played some of it to their top execs, so they have already heard snippets of the new music and have an idea what it's like. They might be playing it low key but I doubt they're uninterested.

Mixed Signals for Michael Jackson Album Sales
By Mike Collett-White
Reuters

LONDON

The new Michael Jackson record "This Is It" hits stores around the world on Monday, kicking off a week of money-spinning events dedicated to the "king of pop," but the outlook for the two-disc album is decidedly mixed.

Experts predict that it will top charts in several key countries, most notably the biggest U.S. market, but with album sales in seemingly terminal decline, even relatively modest returns can secure the coveted number one slot.

The fact that fans have bought nearly six million Jackson albums in that country alone since the singer died suddenly in June of a prescription drug overdose is likely to temper demand for what is essentially another greatest hits collection.

Much depends on whether millions of people expected to flock to the accompanying "This Is It" movie, which hits theatres on Wednesday, feel moved to buy the record too, experts said.

"It's very hard to pinpoint what it will do, particularly due to the fact that a lot of these songs have already sold well this year," said Silvio Pietroluongo, director of charts at Billboard magazine which compiles the weekly rankings.

"Talking to the labels and industry insiders there is a huge sweep of opinion of anywhere between 200-300,000 and 500,000 albums sold in the first week," he told Reuters.

Pietroluongo predicted that should be enough to guarantee Jackson another Billboard number one in the United States.

FILM GENERATES MORE HYPE

This Is It goes on sale in most of the world on Monday and in North America from Tuesday, the eve of the eagerly anticipated movie of the same name.

The film features footage of Jackson rehearsing for his planned residency at London's O2 Arena, which was to have been his farewell to live performance after years of living as a virtual recluse.

The film, released by Sony's Columbia Pictures, could make more than $600 million in its limited two-week run, industry executives have predicted. The album, however, is unlikely to create the same buzz.

Its cause was not helped by a PR fiasco earlier this month when the pop star's first posthumous single "This Is It," which appears on the album, turned out to be an old song recorded 18 years ago by an obscure Puerto Rican singer.

The co-author of that tune threatened to sue Jackson's estate and he was quickly granted 50 percent of the copyright.

There have also been negative early reviews, with Britain's Independent newspaper giving the record one star out of five and calling it "a shoddy apology for an album."

In Britain, retailers said This Is It looked destined to become one of the big albums of the key Christmas period, but there were factors that could dampen demand.

"At the time of his death the response was very emotional," said Gennaro Castaldo, spokesman for the HMV music retail chain.

"But there is a question as to whether that is as potent this time around. There is not that emotional intensity."

This Is It also goes on sale at around the same time as albums by other popular artists, including Cheryl Cole ("3 Words") and Robbie Williams ("Reality Killed the Video Star").

This Is It, released by Sony Music, includes Jackson hits like Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Thriller and Beat It and two versions (original and orchestral) of This Is It.

It also features demo versions of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', She's Out of My Life and Beat It as well as a poem entitled "Planet Earth." Sony Pictures and Sony Music are units of Sony Corp.

Copyright 2009 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=8916027

King Of Pop Aims For King Of Music Film Status

By DAVID GERMAIN (AP) – 2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — The 50 comeback concerts Michael Jackson planned in London last summer sold out in a few hours.

With those shows relegated to what-if status by his death in June, the question now is how well the singer can pack movie theaters with "Michael Jackson: This Is It," a chronicle of his concert preparations that now stands as his final performance.
Advance ticket sales have been brisk, but no one has a handle on how big the turnout might be this week.

Some think it's likely to surpass the $31.1 million opening weekend and the $65.3 million lifetime haul of "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert," the biggest concert movie on record.

Some expect a $100 million total domestic haul. Others think it could go much higher, but how high is anyone's guess.

"It reminds me of `Blair Witch,' it reminds me of `Fahrenheit 9/11,' it reminds me of `Passion of the Christ.' You even have to throw in `Snakes on a Plane.' Films that are bigger than life and just unpredictable. We don't really know how they're going to do," said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com.

For the record, "The Blair Witch Project," "Fahrenheit 9/11" and "The Passion of the Christ" all were hits. "Snakes on a Plane," despite tremendous advance buzz, fizzled.
Not quite a concert film, not quite a documentary, "This Is It" is like nothing that has hit theaters before. It comes just months after Jackson's death, with fans still eagerly digesting every scrap of news about him. It distills more than 100 hours of footage shot as Jackson rehearsed for the concerts in the weeks before his death. And it truly is a final glimpse of an artist who ruled the pop charts in the 1980s before retreating to a reclusive life amid allegations of child molestation.

Distributor Sony is treating the film like the crown jewels, keeping it under wraps until the big blowout Tuesday night, when there will be simultaneous premieres worldwide, followed by advance screenings for paying customers ahead of Wednesday's official theatrical debut.

No critics have seen it, and entertainment journalists were shown only 12 minutes of footage last week before interviews with the filmmakers.
Sony, which paid $60 million for the film rights, plans to have the movie out for just over two weeks, lending it some of the exclusivity of Jackson's aborted concert stand in London.

"We think the 16 days is right. It's sort of a special event that you want to frame in a special way," said Rory Bruer, head of distribution for Sony.
If business really takes off, Sony could extend the film's run, as Disney did with Cyrus' concert movie, which originally was scheduled for only a one-week leg in theaters.
Concert films historically have been a niche genre, with only a few finding a lasting audience in theaters or on home video, among them "Woodstock," "Monterey Pop," "Madonna: Truth or Dare," the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" and "Shine a Light," The Band's "The Last Waltz," the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" and "U2: Rattle and Hum."

Box-office results for concert flicks have been petty cash compared to blockbuster action films and comedies, with last March's "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" running a distant second to Cyrus' film in the record books, topping out at $19.2 million.
The Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight" took in $67.2 million on opening day, more than Cyrus' concert movie did in its entire run.

"This Is It" opens in about five times as many theaters as Cyrus' movie, which played in only 683 cinemas because of the limited number equipped to show digital 3-D films.
Advance ticket sellers Fandango.com and MovieTickets.com report that sales for "This Is It" are running about where Cyrus' film was days before its release.

Comparisons between the two movies are dicey, though. Fans of Jackson, who was 50, are much older than Cyrus' and generally less inclined than young audiences to make the trek to movie theaters. Yet Cyrus does not have the huge global appeal of Jackson, whose film is opening in virtually every country at the same time.

"As big as she is, I don't think she holds a candle to Michael Jackson around the world," said Walt Borchers, senior vice president of sales and marketing for MovieTickets.com.
And, added Borchers, the fact that Jackson now is out of reach deepens his film's appeal.
"Miley, you could have seen her in concert. Now nobody is able to see Michael Jackson in concert. On this film, that does add some fervor," Borchers said.

Based on the initial fervor when tickets first went on sale in late September, Fandango.com expected that "This Is It" easily would shoot past the box-office receipts of Cyrus' movie, said Rick Butler, chief operating officer.

Since then, though, sales have leveled off, so it's uncertain Jackson's movie will hit that mark, Butler said.

The movie's durability ultimately will come down to how good a performance Jackson gives, Butler said. In trailers and the footage shown to reporters last week, Jackson was in prime musical form.

"It's all going to be about his voice. How good does he sound? And boy, the voice sounds as good as it ever did," Butler said. "There's no reason to believe that whatever snippets they've given us for whatever of his songs, he won't sound that way with everything in his repertoire."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iANuIHqB437yCLYq33uK-DRoQqXAD9BIOLG80

Mixed Signals for Michael Jackson Album Sales
By Mike Collett-White
Reuters

LONDON

The new Michael Jackson record "This Is It" hits stores around the world on Monday, kicking off a week of money-spinning events dedicated to the "king of pop," but the outlook for the two-disc album is decidedly mixed.

Experts predict that it will top charts in several key countries, most notably the biggest U.S. market, but with album sales in seemingly terminal decline, even relatively modest returns can secure the coveted number one slot.

The fact that fans have bought nearly six million Jackson albums in that country alone since the singer died suddenly in June of a prescription drug overdose is likely to temper demand for what is essentially another greatest hits collection.

Much depends on whether millions of people expected to flock to the accompanying "This Is It" movie, which hits theatres on Wednesday, feel moved to buy the record too, experts said.

"It's very hard to pinpoint what it will do, particularly due to the fact that a lot of these songs have already sold well this year," said Silvio Pietroluongo, director of charts at Billboard magazine which compiles the weekly rankings.

"Talking to the labels and industry insiders there is a huge sweep of opinion of anywhere between 200-300,000 and 500,000 albums sold in the first week," he told Reuters.

Pietroluongo predicted that should be enough to guarantee Jackson another Billboard number one in the United States.

FILM GENERATES MORE HYPE

This Is It goes on sale in most of the world on Monday and in North America from Tuesday, the eve of the eagerly anticipated movie of the same name.

The film features footage of Jackson rehearsing for his planned residency at London's O2 Arena, which was to have been his farewell to live performance after years of living as a virtual recluse.

The film, released by Sony's Columbia Pictures, could make more than $600 million in its limited two-week run, industry executives have predicted. The album, however, is unlikely to create the same buzz.

Its cause was not helped by a PR fiasco earlier this month when the pop star's first posthumous single "This Is It," which appears on the album, turned out to be an old song recorded 18 years ago by an obscure Puerto Rican singer.

The co-author of that tune threatened to sue Jackson's estate and he was quickly granted 50 percent of the copyright.

There have also been negative early reviews, with Britain's Independent newspaper giving the record one star out of five and calling it "a shoddy apology for an album."

In Britain, retailers said This Is It looked destined to become one of the big albums of the key Christmas period, but there were factors that could dampen demand.

"At the time of his death the response was very emotional," said Gennaro Castaldo, spokesman for the HMV music retail chain.

"But there is a question as to whether that is as potent this time around. There is not that emotional intensity."

This Is It also goes on sale at around the same time as albums by other popular artists, including Cheryl Cole ("3 Words") and Robbie Williams ("Reality Killed the Video Star").

This Is It, released by Sony Music, includes Jackson hits like Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Thriller and Beat It and two versions (original and orchestral) of This Is It.

It also features demo versions of Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', She's Out of My Life and Beat It as well as a poem entitled "Planet Earth." Sony Pictures and Sony Music are units of Sony Corp.

Copyright 2009 Reuters News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=8916027

Thanks for the news, I think they are not considering that this should be a soundtrack for the movie but I agree that it should’ve been packed with extra demos and unreleased songs and I really wanted outtakes from the rehearsals, just few at least, they could’ve made this a brilliant released if they wanted but I’ll have to settle to what I have right now. I hope this will push the estate to work with other studios.

Don’t you remember when Randy Phillips said in an interview (before Michael passed away) that there will be a new song? Or maybe more than one. That was during the preparations for the concerts. I wish if they would tell us which ones are they and should’ve added them in the album!

I know for a fact that a new MJ album is on the way for 2010. Sources have told me point blank that the estate is working things out with Sony, and going back and forth. Universal could be a potential bidder, just like the New York post article stated. There is enough material for 2 full albums although I am told the best of the material will be combined into 1 album. Nothing has been set in stone, but the estate is looking to get that new album out next year. Once the deal is made (expect things to be finalized by early December), some songs need some work with producers so it would take a couple months to get preparations ready.

I'm also told the 70 songs claim by the post is a huge exaggeration. At best, there is 30 songs that are in good enough condition to release. Besides that there are "fragments" and "pieces" of songs that could not be made into an actual album number. Much of this will be determined by the success of This Is It. If the album and movie outperform, it will only give the estate more argument to push for this new album, and Sony will have more motivation to comply with demands. As for a release date, my sources have told me that there has been TALK of a June-September rollout, however if they can get things together earlier there is nothing stopping them from a March or April release.

Thanks smooth_criminal05 I'll keep my fingers crossed. I donno how well they can promote the new albums without Michael. :(

Last edited:
I hope that universal gets the rights. I do not want sony doing anything for Michael. They should have some videos with Michael in the studio making the New Album. That will be so sad but cool.

Don't forget though that Tommy Mottola is a member of Universal...

Oh dear. Well, there goes another rock and hard place situation, if true. And LOL @ no one talks to EMI anymore. That's cold! :lol:

Thanks to all for the news and mentionings. :flowers:

All the right moves
Jackson’s personal life was a mess, but ‘This Is It’ shows him at his best
By REED TUCKER
October 25, 2009

If things had gone differently, Michael Jackson would have been about halfway through his residency at London’s O2 Arena as you read this. Instead, he’s gone, leaving behind a mountain of debt, millions of grieving fans and dozens of unanswered questions.

Among them, what would that final tour have been like, and could the King of Pop still rightfully lay claim to his crown? When “This Is It” hits theaters Wednesday, we may well find out. The movie is part behind-the-scenes documentary, part concert film, assembled by director Kenny Ortega from some 120 hours of rehearsal footage shot as Jackson prepared to return to the stage.

It’s a movie that will be impossible to view in a vacuum. Some will watch to get one last glimpse of their idol, others for hints that the singer’s demise was imminent. Few have seen the finished product, but The Post was shown two songs — “Human Nature” and “The Way You Make Me Feel” — and each found Michael singing on a partial set, occasionally stopping to check cues or make changes as the sound rattled around the empty Staples Center.

Those who worked closely with Jackson in his last days revealed to The Post what it was like on the set, and what the singer wanted to make of this farewell tour.

In March, Jackson held a rambling press conference to announce the tour — starting with a string of London dates. Shortly thereafter, rehearsals began.

Morris Pleasure (keyboards): We rehearsed in three different spots in LA. When rehearsals started, we were in a room at Center Staging in Burbank that I thought was huge, but the next place we went to was the Forum [the former Lakers arena]. Then we went to the Staples Center. You would think the Forum would be big enough — 10,000 seats — but you couldn’t even fit the whole set in the Forum. It kept getting bigger and bigger.

Dorian Holley (vocal director): Michael was always very involved, but in the past he’d do what most people do — hire people to head the departments and then go and work on his part of it. This time, instead of having the dancers videotaped, he’d be sitting right there. He’d give everyone a big hug. What’s really sad is that I felt he was trying to put a foot into normal life by being a part of everything, by touching people, by being there while we were doing our stuff. He wanted to have his hands on it. He wanted to say hello.

Kenny Ortega (director): I was watching Michael come to life during a period of his life when he was really beat down. He wasn’t looking for validation or to prove anything. I was in his dressing room and I said, “I can’t wait for the curtain to draw back. You’re going to get the validation that you so deserve and that people tried to rob from you.” He just laughed and said, “You’re so funny.” He said it like I was a kid. What he was really saying to me was that wasn’t what motivated him.

Lou Ferrigno (“The Incredible Hulk” actor, bodybuilder): He called me a few months before the tour, and he told me he wanted to get back into training. I would go to his house and we would work on his flexibility, conditioning and toning. His health was OK. He was 127 pounds. He might have been a little lighter, because he was under so much stress being half-a-billion dollars in debt. It wasn’t like he was anorexic or too frail looking. Michael’s problem was that he only liked to eat once a day. But I think he hired a dietician, so I think he was improving his diet.

Pleasure: I won’t say his health was perfect or not. He didn’t look like he wasn’t in good shape to me. He was tall and thin. I didn’t know of him being anything other than that. I’d never met him before. He had a firm handshake, you know? He was making 20-year-old dancers give him a standing ovation, so you know his dancing was on point.

Travis Payne (choreographer): A lot of people ask me if he had the ability to do some of the moves that he made popular, and I had not a doubt in my mind.

Holley: When we first started out, the show was two-and-a-half hours, and that was too long for him to do. I know when we were touring back in the day, he’d lose a couple pounds a show. You can do that when you’re a young man, not so much when you’re 50.

The tour budget, initially $7 million, had grown to $30 million, with Jackson constantly thinking up new ideas. He even designed the ticket.

Michael Bearden (musical director): There were some surprise guests planned for the show. Nothing was confirmed, but he had a wish list and some people expressed interest in coming. So of course, Diana Ross was gonna come and do something, possibly Mariah Carey. Possibly Mick Jagger. Slash was going to come down and do his thing. As far as new artists, he really liked Lady Gaga. He said, “Maybe we could do something with her.”

Ortega: A lot of people didn’t realize how much he was involved in conceptualizing the show. One morning at 3 or 4 o’clock, I woke up with a phone call and it was Michael giggling. He said, “Are you up?” I said, “Michael, what do you want?” He said, “Victoria Falls.” I said, “What? It’s in Africa.” He said, “Victoria Falls. We need it on the stage.” What it was, we had the world’s largest HD, 3-D screen. Michael said it would be really beautiful if during “Earth Song” we had Victoria Falls gushing behind him on the stage. He said, “I want my fans to appreciate the majesty and the splendor of the planet.”

Jay Ruckel (La Crasia Gloves, maker of Jackson’s glove): Back in 1984, we made some gloves for Brooke Shields and for him. I used to joke that he was a lady’s size 7, and Brooke Shields was a ladies size 8.5. From his current hand tracing, he was more like a man’s size 9. His hand must have grown. [The glove for the last tour] had thousands of tiny Swarovski crystals on it. It had LED lighting run by a battery pack inside to outline the fingers.

Holley: His voice was — I’ll be honest with you — at the beginning, he was taking it easy. But when he was ready to show you, he would hit it. When people see the film, the people who thought Michael was driven to his grave and was forced to do this and all of that nonsense, they’ll be silenced.

Pleasure: Michael was a master musician. We were playing “Shake Your Body” for the first time with Michael. We finished it, and we were killing it and we thought we were done. Michael said, “There’s only one thing. That piano part is missing one note.” We’re all looking at each other like, really? Michael Bearden checked it out and Michael was right.

Holley: He was like a loving father, a loving general. Someone would say, “MJ’s in the building,” and you’d stand up straighter. I have seen Michael get mad. One night on the “Dangerous” tour, an illusion failed. He had his mike on, and I could hear him getting dressed in my monitor. He cursed and said, “You better fix that! That better not happen again!” My daughter was about six at the time, and she just happened to be with me. She looked at me and said, “Ooh, Daddy. Michael cussed!”

Payne: The approach to choreography would start with discussion and what we wanted to achieve with the piece. He would use words like “sizzle,” words like “bathe in the moonlight,” words like “power” and “structure.” He’d relate some movements to animals or use anything in nature to try and explain a color, feeling or sensation he’d like to convey.

Holley: He’d say how proud he was that the show was sold-out. He told me that he didn’t think it was fair to the rest of the world to only perform in England, and next he was going to take it to Africa, Asia or Japan or Australia. The world wanted it, and he said we were going to be doing this for three or five years.

Ortega: He wanted to take one more curtain call in these places. He imagined that this was going to be a couple of years, and then perhaps he would retire from that level of live performance. He had no intention of retiring from creating. He wanted to be a filmmaker. We had two films in early development. We were going to do the Legs Diamond story that was based on his short film “Smooth Criminal.” And Michael wanted to do a full-length feature of “Thriller” in 3-D. He was going to direct and produce.

Jackson died June 25. Early in the day, Ortega told the musicians and crew not to believe what they were reading and that rehearsal was on for the day. Later, it became clear the news was true. By the time the other performers arrived at the Staples Center, the stage was already being dismantled.

Pleasure: I remember the circus was coming, and even with Michael Jackson gone, the business world marches on. They had to get all that stuff out of there. At that point, they weren’t even sure how he’d died, so things were confiscated. They were holding everything, just, “Lock it up.” The crew members were packing everything up, and here we were crying.

Holley: When I got there, I knew. The stage was dark. A third of the stuff was already packed up. The crew was standing around, some of them crying — these guys with muscles and hair on their arms. It was like a scene in a film where you haven’t gotten the bad news through anybody’s words, but you can look around and see that it’s final. It was the worst.

reed.tucker@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/musi...hKu946GW2ndUO/0

Universal CityWalk(R) Welcomes Michael Jackson Madame Tussauds Figure Exclusively on Display at Cine

Universal CityWalk(R) Welcomes Michael Jackson Madame Tussauds Figure Exclusively on Display at Cinemas

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., Oct. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Universal CityWalk®, in
partnership with Madame Tussauds Hollywood, will roll out the red carpet for a
$350,000 Michael Jackson wax figure which will be exclusively on display for
one night only at the Universal CityWalk Cinemas to coincide with the
world-wide movie release of "This is It," on Tuesday, October 27.

Michael Jackson fans will be able to pose for photos with the lifelike Madame
Tussauds wax figure, which features an authentic costume from the planned
"This is It" concert tour.

"This is It" screenings will begin at 9:00 pm at the Universal CityWalk
Cinemas and the film will be exhibited on multiple screens. The film features
a compilation of rehearsal, behind-the-scenes and other footage of the pop
legend preparing for the "This is It" concert series, which had been scheduled
for a 100 performance run in London.

The Jackson likeness was created in Madame Tussauds' London Studios and
features creative input provided by the pop star himself. The figure recently
arrived in Hollywood and is displayed daily at Madame Tussauds located at 6933
Hollywood Blvd.

For information about CityWalk or to purchase movie tickets, please visit
www.CityWalkHollywood.com.

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A.(SM), includes a
full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour; the CityWalk entertainment,
shopping and dining complex; the Universal CityWalk Cinemas; and the Gibson
Amphitheatre concert and special event venue. The theme park features such
groundbreaking attractions as "Revenge of the Mummy(SM) - The Ride," "Shrek
4-D(TM)," "Jurassic Park® - The Ride," the world-renowned Studio Tour, which
takes guests behind-the-scenes of such landmark TV, movie locations and sets
such as Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds." Universal CityWalk features
over 60 entertainment-themed restaurants, nightclubs, shops and dynamic
entertainment options. Universal CityWalk Cinemas, offering the best
movie-going experience in Los Angeles, features 19 screens including one of
Southern California's largest IMAX® venues and newly renovated stadium-style
seating.

Universal Studios Hollywood is a unit of Universal Parks & Resorts, a division
of NBC Universal.

About Madame Tussauds
Madame Tussauds Hollywood, opened earlier this year, is the 9th museum in the
Madame Tussauds world-wide portfolio, joining other locations in London,
Amsterdam, Las Vegas, New York, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Washington, DC, and
Berlin. 2009 also marks the 200th anniversary of Madame Tussauds which has
played host to over one half Billion guests. www.madametussauds.com

SOURCE Universal Studios Hollywood

Lupe Franco-Butler of Universal Studios Hollywood, +1-818-622-9504,
lupe.franco-butler@nbcuni.com

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS147037+26-Oct-2009+PRN20091026

Michael Jackson's unreleased songs are at the centre of a bidding war.

Michael Jackson's unreleased songs are at the centre of a bidding war.

The late singer's unheard music is reportedly being sent out to several record companies who are interested in releasing the tracks he was working on before his death in June.

Michael's long-time attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain - who are overseeing Jackson's estate - are said to be speaking with Sony Music, Universal Music Group and one other unnamed interested party about the catalogue.

A source said: "Universal and Sony have the two best worldwide distribution systems, so Branca is looking for who can provide the highest bid."

According to the New York Post newspaper, the estate is believed to be keen to extend the deal Michael had in place with Sony Music to cover the 70 songs he wrote, produced and recorded after 2004.

However, the estate wants more money than Sony is prepared to offer.

At present, the label will have control of all recordings made before 2004 for the next few years until it becomes property of Michael's estate.

A source said: "We're trying to figure out the terms."

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=133116&cat=2

DJ Jazzy Jeff Highlights Obscure Michael Jackson Tracks With Mixtape

I'm the DJ, He's the King features 49 tracks, including some lesser-known songs.

281x211.jpg

DJ Jazzy Jeff is used to being around royalty. He manned the turntables for the Fresh Prince in the late '80s before becoming Will Smith's TV sidekick. Now, the Philadelphia native is set to release his latest mixtape, I'm the DJ, He's the King, dedicated to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

"After Mike passed, I really started digging, and I found a bunch of stuff that I didn't know Mike had, especially with the Jackson 5," Jeff told MTV News. "He had a whole bunch of albums that go completely past people. I think people just go for [popular songs like] 'I Want You Back,' 'Never Can Say Goodbye' — and there was a bunch of obscure albums that all had really good stuff on them. Then it was hard, because I wanted to keep it one CD and not make it a Mike Anthology. I wanted to just make it something that was entertaining, that you could just play from the beginning to end."

The 49-song mixtape is sponsored by Undcrwrn apparel and will be available for free download on their site starting Monday (October 26), on the eve of premiere of the concert documentary, "Michael Jackson's This Is It." The mixtape cover, featuring an illustrated take on Jeff and Smith's album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, is also printed on a T-shirt from Udrcrwn, retailing for $32.

Jeff said he was inspired to do the mixtape after fellow DJ Mick Boogie suggested putting his playlist together as a proper release.

"I did it exactly as I would play it out live," Jeff explained. "I kind of wanted to give a feel like you heard it in a club. I didn't necessarily want to go in a certain order, 'cause everybody in the world plays certain Michael Jackson songs. And I wanted to play songs that not everyone plays, play some obscure album cuts. And if you listen to it, I have some a capella and versions of songs that not everyone had heard. So, I kind of wanted to mix it up and keep people off guard. Just give them an example of all that Michael was like."

The set features a range of MJ music, from classics like "Human Nature" and "Billie Jean" to not-so-familiar remixes, including a Pete Rock take on the Jackson 5's "2-4-6-8," featuring CL Smooth, and mix of "Rock With You," featuring Fela Kuti.

"He just has a lot of good songs," Jeff said. "That's what I really wanted to focus on. You can go to any club in the world and hear 'Billie Jean,' you can hear 'Beat It,' you can hear 'Wanna Be Starting Something' — those are his main staples that an Eskimo in Alaska knows."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1624730/20091026/jackson_michael.jhtml

This is one of the most interesting articles that I've read from the TII publicity rounds. The people who had been working with Michael day in and day out from the TII rehearsals really do know what was going on with him on a daily basis.

It's really heartbreaking reading this and them saying that Michael was really into everything and that he wanted to take the tour around the world and expected to tour for 3 to 5 years. Hearing all of Michael's future plans about the film making and what not. . . utterly heartbreaking that his life was taken from him. His life has been hijacked from him since 1993.

How insensitive was it that the crew was taking down the stage before those at Staples got official word that Michael had passed away!

All the right moves
Jackson’s personal life was a mess, but ‘This Is It’ shows him at his best
By REED TUCKER
October 25, 2009

If things had gone differently, Michael Jackson would have been about halfway through his residency at London’s O2 Arena as you read this. Instead, he’s gone, leaving behind a mountain of debt, millions of grieving fans and dozens of unanswered questions.

Among them, what would that final tour have been like, and could the King of Pop still rightfully lay claim to his crown? When “This Is It” hits theaters Wednesday, we may well find out. The movie is part behind-the-scenes documentary, part concert film, assembled by director Kenny Ortega from some 120 hours of rehearsal footage shot as Jackson prepared to return to the stage.

It’s a movie that will be impossible to view in a vacuum. Some will watch to get one last glimpse of their idol, others for hints that the singer’s demise was imminent. Few have seen the finished product, but The Post was shown two songs — “Human Nature” and “The Way You Make Me Feel” — and each found Michael singing on a partial set, occasionally stopping to check cues or make changes as the sound rattled around the empty Staples Center.

Those who worked closely with Jackson in his last days revealed to The Post what it was like on the set, and what the singer wanted to make of this farewell tour.

In March, Jackson held a rambling press conference to announce the tour — starting with a string of London dates. Shortly thereafter, rehearsals began.

Morris Pleasure (keyboards): We rehearsed in three different spots in LA. When rehearsals started, we were in a room at Center Staging in Burbank that I thought was huge, but the next place we went to was the Forum [the former Lakers arena]. Then we went to the Staples Center. You would think the Forum would be big enough — 10,000 seats — but you couldn’t even fit the whole set in the Forum. It kept getting bigger and bigger.

Dorian Holley (vocal director): Michael was always very involved, but in the past he’d do what most people do — hire people to head the departments and then go and work on his part of it. This time, instead of having the dancers videotaped, he’d be sitting right there. He’d give everyone a big hug. What’s really sad is that I felt he was trying to put a foot into normal life by being a part of everything, by touching people, by being there while we were doing our stuff. He wanted to have his hands on it. He wanted to say hello.

Kenny Ortega (director): I was watching Michael come to life during a period of his life when he was really beat down. He wasn’t looking for validation or to prove anything. I was in his dressing room and I said, “I can’t wait for the curtain to draw back. You’re going to get the validation that you so deserve and that people tried to rob from you.” He just laughed and said, “You’re so funny.” He said it like I was a kid. What he was really saying to me was that wasn’t what motivated him.

Lou Ferrigno (“The Incredible Hulk” actor, bodybuilder): He called me a few months before the tour, and he told me he wanted to get back into training. I would go to his house and we would work on his flexibility, conditioning and toning. His health was OK. He was 127 pounds. He might have been a little lighter, because he was under so much stress being half-a-billion dollars in debt. It wasn’t like he was anorexic or too frail looking. Michael’s problem was that he only liked to eat once a day. But I think he hired a dietician, so I think he was improving his diet.

Pleasure: I won’t say his health was perfect or not. He didn’t look like he wasn’t in good shape to me. He was tall and thin. I didn’t know of him being anything other than that. I’d never met him before. He had a firm handshake, you know? He was making 20-year-old dancers give him a standing ovation, so you know his dancing was on point.

Travis Payne (choreographer): A lot of people ask me if he had the ability to do some of the moves that he made popular, and I had not a doubt in my mind.

Holley: When we first started out, the show was two-and-a-half hours, and that was too long for him to do. I know when we were touring back in the day, he’d lose a couple pounds a show. You can do that when you’re a young man, not so much when you’re 50.

The tour budget, initially $7 million, had grown to $30 million, with Jackson constantly thinking up new ideas. He even designed the ticket.

Michael Bearden (musical director): There were some surprise guests planned for the show. Nothing was confirmed, but he had a wish list and some people expressed interest in coming. So of course, Diana Ross was gonna come and do something, possibly Mariah Carey. Possibly Mick Jagger. Slash was going to come down and do his thing. As far as new artists, he really liked Lady Gaga. He said, “Maybe we could do something with her.”

Ortega: A lot of people didn’t realize how much he was involved in conceptualizing the show. One morning at 3 or 4 o’clock, I woke up with a phone call and it was Michael giggling. He said, “Are you up?” I said, “Michael, what do you want?” He said, “Victoria Falls.” I said, “What? It’s in Africa.” He said, “Victoria Falls. We need it on the stage.” What it was, we had the world’s largest HD, 3-D screen. Michael said it would be really beautiful if during “Earth Song” we had Victoria Falls gushing behind him on the stage. He said, “I want my fans to appreciate the majesty and the splendor of the planet.”

Jay Ruckel (La Crasia Gloves, maker of Jackson’s glove): Back in 1984, we made some gloves for Brooke Shields and for him. I used to joke that he was a lady’s size 7, and Brooke Shields was a ladies size 8.5. From his current hand tracing, he was more like a man’s size 9. His hand must have grown. [The glove for the last tour] had thousands of tiny Swarovski crystals on it. It had LED lighting run by a battery pack inside to outline the fingers.

Holley: His voice was — I’ll be honest with you — at the beginning, he was taking it easy. But when he was ready to show you, he would hit it. When people see the film, the people who thought Michael was driven to his grave and was forced to do this and all of that nonsense, they’ll be silenced.

Pleasure: Michael was a master musician. We were playing “Shake Your Body” for the first time with Michael. We finished it, and we were killing it and we thought we were done. Michael said, “There’s only one thing. That piano part is missing one note.” We’re all looking at each other like, really? Michael Bearden checked it out and Michael was right.

Holley: He was like a loving father, a loving general. Someone would say, “MJ’s in the building,” and you’d stand up straighter. I have seen Michael get mad. One night on the “Dangerous” tour, an illusion failed. He had his mike on, and I could hear him getting dressed in my monitor. He cursed and said, “You better fix that! That better not happen again!” My daughter was about six at the time, and she just happened to be with me. She looked at me and said, “Ooh, Daddy. Michael cussed!”

Payne: The approach to choreography would start with discussion and what we wanted to achieve with the piece. He would use words like “sizzle,” words like “bathe in the moonlight,” words like “power” and “structure.” He’d relate some movements to animals or use anything in nature to try and explain a color, feeling or sensation he’d like to convey.

Holley: He’d say how proud he was that the show was sold-out. He told me that he didn’t think it was fair to the rest of the world to only perform in England, and next he was going to take it to Africa, Asia or Japan or Australia. The world wanted it, and he said we were going to be doing this for three or five years.

Ortega: He wanted to take one more curtain call in these places. He imagined that this was going to be a couple of years, and then perhaps he would retire from that level of live performance. He had no intention of retiring from creating. He wanted to be a filmmaker. We had two films in early development. We were going to do the Legs Diamond story that was based on his short film “Smooth Criminal.” And Michael wanted to do a full-length feature of “Thriller” in 3-D. He was going to direct and produce.

Jackson died June 25. Early in the day, Ortega told the musicians and crew not to believe what they were reading and that rehearsal was on for the day. Later, it became clear the news was true. By the time the other performers arrived at the Staples Center, the stage was already being dismantled.

Pleasure: I remember the circus was coming, and even with Michael Jackson gone, the business world marches on. They had to get all that stuff out of there. At that point, they weren’t even sure how he’d died, so things were confiscated. They were holding everything, just, “Lock it up.” The crew members were packing everything up, and here we were crying.

Holley: When I got there, I knew. The stage was dark. A third of the stuff was already packed up. The crew was standing around, some of them crying — these guys with muscles and hair on their arms. It was like a scene in a film where you haven’t gotten the bad news through anybody’s words, but you can look around and see that it’s final. It was the worst.

reed.tucker@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/musi...hKu946GW2ndUO/0

Re: DJ Jazzy Jeff Highlights Obscure Michael Jackson Tracks With Mixtape

Awesome! That's really nice that this mix tape is going to be a free download! I am definitely downloading this. :)

Thanks DJ Jazzy Jeff!

HE%27S%20THE%20KING-I%27M%20THE%20DJ%20CD.jpg

HE%27S%20THE%20KING-I%27M%20THE%20DJ%20CD_BK.jpg

ETA: Here is the link:

http://www.undrcrwn.com/Jazzy-Jeff.html

IMEEM: http://www.imeem.com/undrcrwnmixtap...resents-dj-jazzy-jeff-hes-the-king-im-the-dj/

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?gc2xzmjhyzm

PURCHASE TSHIRT: http://www.shopundrcrwn.com/product/hes-the-king-im-the-dj-caricature-tee-white

He_sTheKing_tee2.jpg

I'm the DJ, He's the King features 49 tracks, including some lesser-known songs.

281x211.jpg

DJ Jazzy Jeff is used to being around royalty. He manned the turntables for the Fresh Prince in the late '80s before becoming Will Smith's TV sidekick. Now, the Philadelphia native is set to release his latest mixtape, I'm the DJ, He's the King, dedicated to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson.

"After Mike passed, I really started digging, and I found a bunch of stuff that I didn't know Mike had, especially with the Jackson 5," Jeff told MTV News. "He had a whole bunch of albums that go completely past people. I think people just go for [popular songs like] 'I Want You Back,' 'Never Can Say Goodbye' — and there was a bunch of obscure albums that all had really good stuff on them. Then it was hard, because I wanted to keep it one CD and not make it a Mike Anthology. I wanted to just make it something that was entertaining, that you could just play from the beginning to end."

The 49-song mixtape is sponsored by Undcrwrn apparel and will be available for free download on their site starting Monday (October 26), on the eve of premiere of the concert documentary, "Michael Jackson's This Is It." The mixtape cover, featuring an illustrated take on Jeff and Smith's album He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, is also printed on a T-shirt from Udrcrwn, retailing for $32.

Jeff said he was inspired to do the mixtape after fellow DJ Mick Boogie suggested putting his playlist together as a proper release.

"I did it exactly as I would play it out live," Jeff explained. "I kind of wanted to give a feel like you heard it in a club. I didn't necessarily want to go in a certain order, 'cause everybody in the world plays certain Michael Jackson songs. And I wanted to play songs that not everyone plays, play some obscure album cuts. And if you listen to it, I have some a capella and versions of songs that not everyone had heard. So, I kind of wanted to mix it up and keep people off guard. Just give them an example of all that Michael was like."

The set features a range of MJ music, from classics like "Human Nature" and "Billie Jean" to not-so-familiar remixes, including a Pete Rock take on the Jackson 5's "2-4-6-8," featuring CL Smooth, and mix of "Rock With You," featuring Fela Kuti.

"He just has a lot of good songs," Jeff said. "That's what I really wanted to focus on. You can go to any club in the world and hear 'Billie Jean,' you can hear 'Beat It,' you can hear 'Wanna Be Starting Something' — those are his main staples that an Eskimo in Alaska knows."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1624730/20091026/jackson_michael.jhtml

Last edited:
Fans Line Up To Buy 'Michael Jacksons's This Is It' Tickets

Photo 4 of 5
  1. Previous
  2. Next

You Are Viewing Fans Line Up To Buy 'Michael Jacksons's This Is It' Tickets (5 Photos)

1. Photos: Casandra Pertusio from Florida shows her Micha...
    Posted 9/25/2009
  2. Photos: Another of Casandra Pertusio's tattooss
    Posted 9/25/2009
  3. Photos: Victor Chupina, 5, wears a Michael Jackson out...
    Posted 9/25/2009
  4. Now Viewing Photo 4 of 5
    Photos: Fans start a three day wait in line to buy tic...

Posted 9/25/2009
  5. Photos: Fans start a three day wait in line to buy tic...
    Posted 9/25/2009
View All Thumbnails »

1. Fans start a three day wait in line to buy tickets at the L.A. Live theater

Photo by Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images

Michael Jackson is the 5th most search on yahoo.

Back