Daily News - Monday, November 30, 2009 - 'Thriller' turns 27 years old today! + MJ tribute portrait!

MsSnoop

Proud Member

Nate Giorgio, right, a Vestal native, was a friend and professional artist for legendary singer Michael Jackson. Giorgio did the artwork for the cover on the only tribute to the King of Pop authorized by Jackson's estate.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Vestal native's artwork to be the cover of Michael Jackson tribute book[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]By William Moyer[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]wmoyer@gannett.com[/FONT]

The figurative-style silhouette dancing across a red background is immediately recognizable as Michael Jackson.

The artwork on the cover of a soon-to-be released international tribute to the King of Pop was drawn by Nate Giorgio, a 1979 graduate of Vestal High School who often found himself in Jackson's inner circle during a 25-year collaboration that documented the pop icon's career in art.
"It's a drawing I did for the book," said Giorgio, 48, whose parents still live in Vestal. "It's a simple drawing, but it captures the essence of him."
The leather-bound book, "The Official Michael Jackson OPUS," will be released Dec. 7 with a hefty $249 price tag.

About a dozen of Giorgio's drawings and paintings of Jackson are included in the book, as well as various illustrations.

In time, Giorgio expects the 404-page book -- which measures 13 by 18 inches and weighs 38 pounds -- to become the definitive tribute to the legendary singer. The book is the only tribute officially endorsed by Jackson's estate after the singer's death.

Besides a dozen full-page drawings of Jackson, Giorgio also contributed some personal letters to the book. In particular, Giorgio recalled a handwritten thank-you note after he had called the singer to express concern when Jackson was sick.

"He just said he appreciated my call; he was that kind of guy," said Giorgio, who last saw Jackson about a month before the singer died June 25 at the age of 50. "I wish the public could have seen that side of him."
The book has contributions from others who knew Jackson, including Motown founder Berry Gordy, Paula Abdul, Smokey Robinson and Quincy Jones.

"We're really proud that his drawing is on the cover," said Neil Giorgio, Nate's father and a retired Security Mutual Insurance employee who lives in Vestal. "This is a big deal."

The younger Giorgio's association with Jackson began in the 1980s when the singer took a liking to the local artist's work. The then-fledgling artist had mailed some portraits to the singer while still living in Vestal. Jackson invited Giorgio to his home in California to talk and do artwork.
Gradually, Giorgio earned Jackson's confidence as an artist and friend. Through the years, Jackson commissioned Giorgio to do artwork, including paintings, posters and illustrations for the book "Dancing the Dream." Some of Giorgio's artwork was displayed at the Neverland ranch.

In the past several weeks, Giorgio has been interviewed by national media outlets about Jackson and the tribute book. In the current issue of Rolling Stone magazine, Giorgio recalled Jackson asking him to do a "Superhero" painting based on a Superman drawing. The handwritten note and the drawing are included in the OPUS book.

When the singer died, he and Giorgio were working on murals Jackson wanted of himself and his children walking through a forest.
About his days in Vestal, Giorgio said "small town" life instilled a motivation to set high goals, but also required working harder to get noticed than someone who was raised in Los Angeles.

In 1996, Vestal added Giorgio to the school's Hall of Fame.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20091129/NEWS01/911290348

Documentary Channel To Debut First Original Weekly Series

Mike Reynolds -- Multichannel News, 11/30/2009 12:01:00 AM

The Documentary Channel will ring in the new year with its initial original half-hour series.​

The network will debut DocTalk on Friday, Jan. 1 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). Produced by Documentary Channel Original Productions, the series will tip off the network's primetime lineup every Friday throughout 2010.

Created and executive produced by Documentary Channel founder and chief creative officers Tom Neff, and produced by Barry Rubinow, the network's senior vice president of creative services, DocTalk takes an inside look at the modern world of documentary film. Through extensive, in- depth interviews with the world's top documentary filmmakers, along with scenes from their films, DocTalk will delve into the filmmakers' process and motivations for how and why they made their films.

In the premiere episode, the series will explore a quartet of films. Director Kenny Ortega and his team recall the warm memories and musical mastery of working with the king of pop, in Michael Jackson's This is It. Michael Moore follows the money from Wall Street to Capitol Hill to the country's heartland in Capitalism: A Love Story. Director Davis Guggenheim and producer Leslie Chillicott give insight into the making of the rock guitar saga, It Might Get Loud, with added commentary from Jack White and Jimmie Page, two of the film's subjects. Finally, director Aaron Marshall discusses the unique challenges of following a 12-year-old girl and her mom as they make a blood-filled horror movie in Zombie Girl: The Movie.​

"DocTalk is an entertaining, informative and emotionally moving series that we feel is a must see for any hard core or casual documentary fan," said Neff in a statement.

Noted Rubinow: "It has been a great pleasure to talk one on one with the great documentary filmmakers of our time and I think our audience will thoroughly enjoy the films and the fresh perspective given in these thoughtful, revealing interviews."

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1991 - Michael Jackson's album "Dangerous" debuted at #1 in the U.K.

2003 - Jermaine Jackson appeared on CNN's "Larry King Live."

michael-jackson_badera-106.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Thriller!Biggest selling album turns 27!

The GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME TURNS A GLORIOUS 27 TODAY!!!

Thankyou Michael...love you and miss you with every beat of my heart...but we know you are in a beautiful place...hope to be with you soon!
In the meantime, we'll do the best to do you proud!
Thankyou again Angel of Light...forever...

With all our love...

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY Thriller!Biggest selling album turns 27!

Happy birthday thriller!!!!!!

Last edited:

Happy Birthday Thriller and Thank You Michael for this Wonderful Album. :)

Susannah xx

Gosh, 27 years... and still alive like it came out yesterday...

Thank you Michael :)

Re: Daily News - Monday, November 30, 2009 - 'Thriller' turns 27 years old today!

Happy birthday Thriller!...THE GREATEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME!:clapping:

Re: Daily News - Monday, November 30, 2009 - 'Thriller' turns 27 years old today!

Happy Birthday Thriller! Can we go back in time and do it all over again? :(

Happy Birthday Thriller!!!! :) Best album ever!!!!

Happy Birth day to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Dear THRILLER, Happy Birth day to you! :D

GOOD AS NEW EVEN AFTER 27 Years. Mannnn!!! This Man was truly special! I miss you Mike. So much. L.I.P.(Live in Peace)!

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Yes Mr. Giorgio, it is a big deal! Your son has had the opportunity of a lifetime
and I can tell that he's highly thankful. :)

THRILLER is 27 years old huh? Wow! Time how flies.
If only we could go back in time....

*Cranks up Billie Jean*

Yes Mr. Giorgio, it is a big deal! Your son has had the opportunity of a lifetime
and I can tell that he's highly thankful. :)

THRILLER is 27 years old huh? Wow! Time how flies.
If only we could go back in time....

*Cranks up Billie Jean*

Same here....I wish I could live the years 2007-2008 Over and over and over and over and over........Again. He would still be here with his children, Writing songs, Dancing Loving, caring, Breathing.

Thankyou Michael, for this Beautiful Gift you have left us. I'll make sure to make my children and grand children to buy It! (well, when i have some that is, and to do that, I need to find a man right?) Too Much info?:scratch::cheeky:

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Jermaine Jackson, This Is It cast members at MJ tribute portrait event (videos, photographs)

I just want to let you all know that there is a great new article on the Michael Jackson Tribute Portrait event from last week in Crenshaw, California. Jermaine Jackson was there, and the "This Is It" band members, Michael Bearden, Judith Hill, Tatiana Yvonne, etc. There are tons of video interviews and pictures - so you'll want to check it out!

You can see it all here:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...agic-Johnson-Theatre-mentions-Jordan-Chandler

Omigoodness, I just seriously cannot wait for my Opus!!!!! :wild: I can't wait to have it, so that everyone who comes to my house will see it and ask about it and get to know the real Michael that we know =) I can't wait to show it to my mom and best friend (who are kinda' on the cusp with him, giving him the benefit of the doubt and liking him because I do, but still unsure of what to really think...) I can't wait for them to see it and change their mind. :yes:

27 years later young pop artist are still copying and stealing from Thriller.

Thriller will never grow old. It's young and fresh and crispy forever.

Happy Birthday Thriller! Can we go back in time and do it all over again? :(

Hey Stacey, how are you? I wish for this more than anything.

Happy B'Day, 27 years and 18 for Dangerous!! I used to think the gap between these two albums was so long, but in terms of the grand scheme of things I guess not anymore, and I can't believe Dangerous is that old now.

Thriller and I share a birthday, cool :D! Thriller's 27 and I'm 21!

Happy birthday Thriller. 27 years later and contemporary artists are still copying it! Well, MJ is the king after all!

27 years!!!!

Wowww.... and still fresh as the first day, still amazing, still surprising people.

27 years.... how we have changed since then... 27 years of HIStory... I miss Michael... I miss him much more :(

27 años... a whole life...

It still is a great album to listen to and I remember when I first got it on vinyl record. I used to stare at the centerfold and think how handsome he was. He was dreamy.

It still is a great album to listen to and I remember when I first got it on vinyl record. I used to stare at the centerfold and think how handsome he was. He was dreamy.

:lol: I still do that now...

He just looks gorgeous in that cover..

Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Happy Birthday Thriller! 27 yrs.. Wow!!!!

Michael really took the world bt storm when he released and created this album.

Absolutely one of the most groundbreaking and influential records of the 20th century...and the past 30 years...

Thriller's b-day is today? I'm I the only one who thought it was released December 2nd? *facesmack*

Oh well,

HAPPY BDAY best selling album of all time.!

Hey Stacey, how are you? I wish for this more than anything.

Happy B'Day, 27 years and 18 for Dangerous!! I used to think the gap between these two albums was so long, but in terms of the grand scheme of things I guess not anymore, and I can't believe Dangerous is that old now.

Maybe its jus' me, but Dangerous is still fresh. Now that's what you call MUSIC. They don't make 'em like that no more.mm-hmm

Mashable (blog)

Bing Searches in 2009 Topped by Michael Jackson, Says Microsoft

eWeek - Nicholas Kolakowski - ‎13 hours ago‎
Microsoft announced the top trending topics searched on Bing in 2009, a list that was unsurprisingly topped by celebrities such as Michael Jackson and hot ...
Michael Jackson tops Bing's list of Trending Topics in 2009 Independent

Michael Jackson, Perez Hilton top search site Bing's lists of top searched for ... Examiner.com

Michael Jackson tweets on swine flu TG Daily

Appscout all 17 news articles »
MSFT
Email this story

SINDH TODAY

Paris Jackson convinced Michael to start university course

Sawf News - ‎5 hours ago‎
Michael Jackson was reportedly planning to start a university course in fine art after his daughter begged him to follow his dream. ...
Michael Jackson debt free in death Examiner.com

Top 10 Moments of 2009: #1 Michael Jackson 'This Is It' Singersroom News

The Gospel According To Michael Jackson Fox40

WalesOnline - Daily News & Analysis all 68 news articles »
Email this story

Debbie Rowe Photog 911 -- Attacked with a Bat

TMZ.com (blog) - ‎10 hours ago‎
TMZ has obtained the 911 call made by a photographer who claims some rabid Michael Jackson fans attacked him with a bat earlier this month ... an incident ...
Debbie Rowe Shutterbug's 911 Phone Call Released The Gossip Girls (blog)

all 3 news articles »
Email this story

Charges not expected in Michael Jackson's death until next year
Daily News Wire Services
Updated: 11/30/2009 09:31:46 AM PST

Prosecutors and police investigators don't expect to file charges in connection with Michael Jackson's death before 2010, it was reported Monday.

Law enforcement officials told the Los Angeles Times that there is much evidence to review -- some of it complex medical data -- and that they have sought the help of outside medical experts, the newspaper reported on its Web site Monday morning.

A decision on whether to file criminal charges is "months rather than weeks away," one source told the newspaper.

Dr. Conrad Murray, Jackson's personal physician, who provided him with the anesthetic propofol that coroner's officials say killed the pop singer, has been identified as a suspect in a manslaughter investigation in search warrants and remains the focus of the probe.

The investigation has resulted in large quantities of information that need to be carefully reviewed not only by LAPD detectives, but also prosecutors and some outside medical advisers before a final decision is made on how to proceed in the case, sources familiar with the investigation told The Times.

Murray has denied repeatedly any wrongdoing and insists he gave then- appropriate medical aid when he found Jackson's distressed and not breathing. His attorney has stressed that Murray is fully cooperating with authorities.

The physician told police Jackson was dependent on propofol to sleep and that he was trying to wean the singer off the drug. Murray returned to work at his Houston medical office

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_13892007?source=rss

what we can learn from this article what a kind and good man and doctor Murray was and is.

Back