MsSnoop

Proud Member
AEG Live CEO Discusses Michael Jackson's Memorial, Tribute Concert

52310-jackson_michael_01l.gif

spacer.gif
July 13, 2009 12:05 AM ET

spacer.gif

Ray Waddell, Nashville

Just two weeks after the death of Michael Jackson, Randy Phillips, CEO of AEG Live, producers of what were to be Jackson’s 50 sellouts at the O2 Arena in London, still has not caught his breath. Among the most recent developments for Phillips, AEG Live and parent AEG, was the successful planning and execution of Jackson’s memorial at the AEG-operated Staples Center in L.A. on Tuesday.

"To me, the success of [the memorial] is measured by the fact that I think we were able to really humanize my friend and erase those caricatures that the press had created of him. If there is one thing I could point to it as to why it was successful, it would be that."

Phillips noted that the event was "one of the largest broadcasts ever in the history of the world, right up there with Princess Diana’s funeral, maybe even bigger because of the Web now." According to Nielsen Media Research, the memorial service for Jackson on Tuesday totaled a combined 20.5 household rating with 30.92 million viewers in the U.S. on the 19 networks carrying it from approximately 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

In offering a free media feed from the event to the world and refusing to sell merchandise at the event, AEG declined to monetize the memorial, despite the huge losses they have incurred following Jackson's death. "This was a memorial service," Phillips said. "In fact, it was really a funeral, because the casket and the body were there. We took the high road. I'm not saying this because I drank the AEG Kool-Aid, but that's the only way this company knows how to work."

That's not to say Phillips and AEG have not taken their shots in the wake of Jackson's death, from giving fans the option to keep their tickets to This Is It (with no refund) to selling merchandise on the This Is It website. "One thing I've learned in taking this job is you can't please everybody," Phillips says. "There will always be critics and skeptics and all that, but we did the right thing for my buddy. We buried him with dignity."

The memorial featured moving and sometimes magnificent performances by such artists as Usher, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Hudson and Lionel Richie. While AEG owns this intellectual property, Phillips says there are no immediate plans to offer content, digital or otherwise, from the memorial.

"First of all, we didn't know what it was going to be, how well it was going to come out," Phillips says. "There may be [some sort of release], but we really haven't thought about that. We'd have to go back to the speakers and the artists and get their permission."

Even if there were video or audio released from the memorial, "we wouldn't do anything without the estate," says Phillips. "Michael was our partner in life, he's our partner in death through his estate."

TRIBUTE CONCERT

Next up could be a Jackson tribute concert at the O2 utilizing the massive production put together for This Is It. "We're just starting to get into that now, to figure out how to unveil all the stuff we have to the world," says Phillips. "I think at some point we'll show Michael's last masterpiece, This Is It, to the world."

Regarding refunds, Phillips says AEG is currently seeing a retention rate of about 25% in an offer that runs through Aug. 14. He says 40% retention would allow AEG to recoup its expenses. What ticket retention doesn't make up, intellectual property should cover costs that AEG has put at about $25 million and others have tagged as high as double that. "I can only tell you how much we spent," says Phillips. "I don't know what we lost yet, it's too early."

This Is It intellectual property, including Jackson's "mini-movies" produced for the shows, is "all locked up at the Staples Center in the vault," Phillips says. "The production, staging and all that is in warehouses under lock and key. And the dancers and everyone else want to do the show for the world one time, so we kind of have them on hold, but we don't have anything confirmed yet."

Speculation has been that the tribute show might be staged on what would have been Jackson's 51st birthday Aug. 29. "That would be the ideal time, but we're not sure we can get it together in time," Phillips says.

Regarding the MJ This Is It merchandise, Phillips says it is selling "big time" on the Web site and will be offered at retail at some point. "I have a book of 300-plus of the most amazing items Michael designed with Bravado that are just spectacular, the best merch I've ever seen in my life," he says.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/aeg-live-ceo-discusses-michael-jackson-s-1003992862.story

Examiner.com - The sudden news of Michael Jackson's passing on June 25, 2009 caught the entire world by surprise. No matter how spiritually in tuned we might be, ...

What made Shahrukh cry?

Oneindia - Subhadeep Bhattacharjee -
Like many other Bollywood stars Shahrukh Khan was also a big fan of King of Pop Michael Jackson. In a recent interaction with the media King Khan said he ...

Couture show proves craftsmanship

Clarksville Leaf Chronicle - Jenny Barchfield -
Tibusch paid homage to Michael Jackson with a collection of elaborate body suits worn over leggings, a la King of Pop from his "Dangerous" days. ...

Artist Leon Jones to Auction Painting Autographed by Michael ...

PR-Inside.com (Pressemitteilung) -

Anaheim, CA - When Michael Jackson turned towards the crowd after helping Elizabeth Taylor out of the limousine, artist Leon Jones had skillfully managed to ...

250948-artist-leon-jones-to-auction.jpg

Interesting behind the scenes, meeting with MJ article...just a bit long too put here

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1993 - Michael Jackson's single "Will You Be There" was released.

1997 - Janet Jackson was given a Spelman College Award.

2004 - Michael Jackson's defense team, in his child molestation case, filed a motion requesting that the trail be delayed four months. The motion was sealed by Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville until July 26, the day before a hearing on it and other issues was to start.

I'm glad Randy is respecting the estate before making a move on this stuff he has. But if those tox reports come back and show that Michael did not die of a drug overdose nor lupus complications, then I would be afraid the Jackson family may file a wrongful death lawsuit against AEG for putting Michael under so much pressure to do all these shows. That is why he released that footage....it was an attempt to cover themselves and show that Michael was doing fine and nothing was wrong with him. But an argument can still be made that he was under a lot of pressure.

I'm glad Randy is respecting the estate before making a move on this stuff he has. But if those tox reports come back and show that Michael did not die of a drug overdose nor lupus complications, then I would be afraid the Jackson family may file a wrongful death lawsuit against AEG for putting Michael under so much pressure to do all these shows. That is why he released that footage....it was an attempt to cover themselves and show that Michael was doing fine and nothing was wrong with him. But an argument can still be made that he was under a lot of pressure.

I know a lot of fans feel this way, but i really do not believe AEG pushed him too hard resulting in michael's death. Even if its not drug related, it could have been from stresses michael put on himself to be perfect, and to please his fans, AEG have said that what they saw was amazing, so why would they have been pushing for more? AND they had scheduled the shows to NOT put to much strain on michael. Michael has done far more shows that this in the past. It was just a big thing cos it was in one place, which was actually better for him! I really hope the jackson family don't go down this route. BUT i doubt it wasn't down to some drug complication, and i think it will be the docs blood we will be after...time will tell!

now that he is gone....and he didn't die dead broke...they are finally printing what many of US already knew...

Michael Jackson music Mogul !

July 12, 2:40 PM

AP Photo/Time Inc.)
Michael Jackson bought the Beatles catalog along with ATV/Sony back in 1985. Jackson a smart businessman, as well as a world class performer realized early on that there was power in owning the rights to music. Experts say that a song earns money for both its writer and copyright owner each time it sells on a recorded format, is played on the radio or covered by another artist. And the copyright owner can license the songs to movie studios, and advertisers for considerable amounts of money.

Jackson expressed his desire to purchase the catalog to friend Sir Paul McCartney who at the time laughed it off as a joke. Jackson’s attorney John Branca was said to have advised the Pop Star that is would be an “uphill battle” to acquire the Beatles catalog. But Jackson who remained undeterred reportedly said “ Get me those songs”.
Reports say that in 1985 Jackson won the rights to over 200 Beatles songs. He paid 47.5 million dollars out bidding former Beatle Sir Paul Mc Cartney and John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono. This deal created a riff between the two Legendary Music Stars that went on for years.

180px-Beatles_Stereo_Box_Set.jpg
Since the purchase Jackson increased ATV’s worth by acquiring the publishing rights to numerous other songs. ATV Music Publishing, owns over 4,000 songs. It is said to have had revenues in 1993 of US $30 million. Those revenues make it worth more than US $400 million. During this time ATV also owned the copyrights to songs by the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, and the Pointer Sisters, among many others. The ATV catalog, also has publishing relationships with such artists as Pop Diva Mariah Carey, Bob Dylan, Nile Rogers, Neil Diamond, and Conway Twitty.
Jackson sold half of the song catalogue to Sony in 1995, but is understood to still earn $ 40 million a year from his remaining share. In 2005 CNN reported that Jackson, through Sony/ATV, owns all but a small selection of the “Fab Four's” compositions, including mega-hits like "Yesterday," "Let It Be," and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." He does not, however, own the actual sound recordings; those rights are held by EMI's Capitol Records. Royalty arrangements can be quite complicated. Basically, Jackson and Sony receive a fee each time one of the Beatles songs is played on the radio or a Beatles album is sold. Industry royalty rates for single-song plays can run under 10 cents, while rights holders typically earn a small percentage on each album sold.
The status of the ownership of Beatles collection along with all the Jackson’s other business ventures are on “hold”. Jackson’s entertainment attorney Joel Katz has stated “ Michael Jackson was a perfectionist and his business affairs are worldwide,” “Many of them are quite ongoing and will be dealt with appropriately.”

http://www.examiner.com/x-6336-Orla...miner~y2009m7d12-Michael-Jackson-music-Mogul-
ShareThis
pic3.gif

Last edited:
I just hope they don't slack off on putting out MJ's rehearsal videos..

Back