Daily News - August 3, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member
Fawcett, Jackson get 'Fair' magazine play

USA Today - Lorena Blas - ‎
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson are getting equal attention in September's Vanity Fair. Half of the copies will feature a cover ...

Jackson still top of British album charts

Reuters UK -
LONDON (Reuters) - Michael Jackson's popularity with British music buyers shows no signs of waning as "The Essential" stayed top of the album charts for the ...

Michael Jackson's mom to seek control of estate

CNN - Alan Duke - ‎
Branca has refused to let Katherine Jackson see Michael Jackson's contracts with AEG -- the company that was organizing and promoting his planned concerts ...

New site for Michael Jackson museum?
(Gary Indiana)

While no plans for a Jackson 5 museum are set in stone yet, Gary Mayor Rudy Clay now says a site north of Interstate 80/94 is too small, though it's long been touted as a possible location.

Joe Jackson, patriarch of the famous Jackson Family, visited Gary in July 2008 to promote a possible museum honoring his children's musical success. City officials suggested it could be built at I-80/94 and Grant Street, near what is now known as the Fresh County Market grocery store. The city owns property there.

Ever since Michael Jackson's death in June, enthusiasm for the museum has surged. Clay said the project, as it is now being envisioned, is too big to be built near Fresh County Market. That's because possible developers are interested in building a hotel in conjunction with the museum, Clay said.

Clay and his cabinet will be meeting Monday to discuss the project, he said. The meeting, which is closed to the public, will include a representative of Joe Jackson and a local representative of the Jackson Family, Clay said.

"It's a go to make it happen," Clay said.

A museum honoring the Jackson 5 has long been a goal of Gary's leaders. City officials even visited the Jackson Family home in California in 1995 to discuss a possible project, though their efforts were unsuccessful.

http://blogs.post-trib.com/street/2009/08/new_location_for_jackson_museu.html

Win Michael Jackson autograph in charity £1 raffle

Essex Echo -
FANS of Michael Jackson could get their hands on a rare autograph and help raise money for charity. Apollo Autographs, in High Road, Benfleet, ...

Journalists Should Stop Chasing Hollywood and Start Reporting

Watching yet another in depth look at the current state of journalism the other night, the main concerns of the anchor included the usurpation of major news channels by online Web sites in regards to pop culture news. Michael Jackson’s death and resulting “stories” served as an example, with one Web site, that focuses exclusively on Hollywood gossip and news, constantly scooping the many other news outlets by releasing new information of the ongoing investigation concerning the death of Jackson.

All I could think when this “problem” was presented was: Who cares? It seems to me that the major “news” stations really should be more interested in more hard-hitting news. (The protests that are still continuing in Iran, for example, which aren’t getting the coverage I think is required. Moldova, a small eastern European country between Romania and Ukraine, has also had some disturbances but I haven’t heard anything on the mainstream news stations.)

It seems to me that the major news outlets are becoming much too concerned with things that should be left to publications and Web sites like perezhilton.com and Us Weekly, and are more and more ignoring real and important news so that Hollywood can have a larger time allotment or get a longer headline.

Do we really need to know what Michael Jackson’s dog walker’s hairdresser thinks about the funeral? No, we probably do not need to know. And, while I will be the first one to admit that pop culture deserves attention as one of the most impactful societal elements on individuals (including the production and nature of art, person behavior etc.), I also realize that there are other things probably more deserving of the time and space Hollywood sucks up in the current journalism productions.

Admit it, how many people would know that Moldova is a country? How many people know that Michael Jackson nicknamed one of his sons, Blanket? The disparity in the answered numbers, I assume, is disturbing. While I don’t blame this all on the current journalistic atmosphere, I do think that if people saw all the newsworthy news on the nightly programs or daily papers they would be more informed.

Pop culture has its place. But, please, leave it off of the front page of my morning paper.

http://tothecenter.com/news.php?readmore=10777

Nothing happened today - August 3 - in MJ's life.

24a0e_michael-jackson-wiz-200a062609-fp.jpg

thx snoop
i don't get the whole farrah/mjj thing. it's obvious they meant different things?
i want a david carradine cover, vanity fair, how about that?

The VFcover is awesome. But I think I've heard on TV yesterday that ths Helperin guy is in it AGAIN talking about the gay rumours again - and also he mentioned "other things he didn't include in the book"!!!
Seriously, there's need to be some kind of fan action event (like the Sony demos) if the family doesn't sue him!

image5202756g.jpg

(CBS)
Americans believe Michael Jackson will be remembered more for his music than his personal troubles, a newly-released CBS News poll finds.

The survey found that 66 percent of those surveyed say the so-called "King Of Pop" will be remembered more for his legendary singing and dancing than for the plastic surgery, child sexual abuse charges and erratic behavior of his later years.

By contrast, one in four Americans say memories of that behavior will eclipse memories of Jackson's music.

Read The Complete Poll (pdf)

Jackson's contemporaries - Americans between the ages of 45 and 64 - were most likely to say the pop star will be most remembered for his music, with 73 percent indicating as much. Jackson died at age 50.

A sizable chunk of Americans feel that Jackson was not treated fairly by the media, the poll finds. More than one in three say the media were harder on Jackson than other celebrities.

But the criticism also goes in the other directions: One in five Americans say the press was easier on Jackson. Forty-two percent said the media treated Jackson about the same as other celebrities.

This poll was conducted among a random sample of 944 adults nationwide, interviewed by telephone July 9-12, 2009. Phone numbers were dialed from random digit dial samples of both standard land-line and cell phones. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus three percentage points. The error for subgroups is higher.

This poll release conforms to the Standards of Disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

© MMIX, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/03/opinion/polls/main5205832.shtml

This is where Michael's estate needs to capitalize.

Fortunately Michael's book is being released this month and it will counter Halperin's book by being the bestseller.

This is where MJ's friends or family would be best served releasing a book.

Why let strangers disctate how Michael is thought of or remembered, strangers who have never met or known Michael, when his friends could write a book and put it out there now.

Jermaine was working on a Jackson book for a long time, this would be the time to drop it.

But they leave the space for such people to cash in on Michael.

Look at Michael's music, it's the bestseller

Merchandise, best selling

His book, will be bestselling

I just wish the Jacksons would redirect some of their energy towards Michael's legacy than letting themselves be guided by the media and simply focussing on what the media wants to talk about.

Oh...another gem from that photoshoot...

As usual, thanks for the news, guys. :)

Lengthy to-do list for Jackson hearing

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer Anthony Mccartney, Ap Entertainment Writer 19 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – The handlers of Michael Jackson's probate and guardianship cases have a full slate at a hearing meant to tackle a number of estate and family issues.
At least one major hurdle was cleared last week with a custody agreement between Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, and Deborah Rowe, the biological mother of the singer's two oldest children. Jackson has temporary guardianship of the singer's three children.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff has deferred hearing arguments or making rulings on several motions brought by attorneys for Katherine Jackson and the two men who have temporary control of the pop icon's financial matters: attorney John Branca and music executive John McClain.
Jackson's estate has been described in court documents as having an estimated value of more than $500 million, but its actual current worth is about $100 million, and could increase in value to $200 million or more with some financial restructuring, according to a person briefed on the matter. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.
Branca and McClain could leave Monday's hearing with a firmer rein on the estate. Similarly, Katherine Jackson could emerge with permanent guardianship of her three grandchildren, since her agreement with Rowe, which grants the singer's ex-wife visitation rights, means no one is expected to challenge the current arrangement.
Meanwhile, Katherine Jackson said in a recorded phone interview with Geraldo Rivera that she doesn't believe her son died of natural causes. The interview aired Sunday night on "Geraldo at Large" on the Fox News Channel.
"All I know that my son is dead, and I don't think he just died of natural causes or whatever," she said. "He's too young to have that. Something happened. I don't know what it was. And I can't say."
The to-do list for Monday's hearing has grown in recent weeks, with Beckloff deferring decisions on several issues, most of which have to do with Jackson's finances.
Among the issues Beckloff is slated to consider:
• An allowance for Katherine Jackson and her grandchildren. The special administrators of Jackson's estate have asked for monthly stipends for the group, noting that Jackson supported all of them when he was alive. Beckloff delayed considering the payments until Monday, but attorneys on both sides agree they are necessary.
• Decide when Katherine Jackson will become the permanent guardian of her grandchildren, 12-year-old Prince Michael, 10-year-old Paris Michael and 7-year-old Prince Michael II, known as Blanket. No one else has petitioned for custody of the children, and Jackson was her son's first choice named in his 2002 will.
• Whether Katherine Jackson can challenge the men currently administering the son's estate, without actually contesting her son's will. Her attorneys have asked Beckloff to decide whether if they petition to remove Branca and McClain as administrators, they will trigger a no-contest clause in Jackson's trust. Without the protection of Beckloff's ruling, Mrs. Jackson could lose her 40 percent share of Jackson's estate if she mounts a challenge to Branca and McClain's authority.
• Mrs. Jackson's attorneys have expressed concerns about possible conflicts of interests that Branca and McClain may have, and have been seeking greater access to Jackson's records in the form of subpoenas and depositions. They sought that authority last week ahead of Monday's hearing, but were told they would have to wait until that day for a ruling.
• Decide whether Branca and McClain continue administering Jackson's estate. Court filings indicate the pair have already received $5.5 million from a former Jackson financial adviser, later identified as Tohme Tohme. They have also take possession of many of the King of Pop's property, and have said in court filings that they hope to finish several multimillion deals soon.
• Beckloff could be presented with some of those deals. The judge has already approved one that will bring Jackson's 1988 autobiography, "Moonwalk" back to store shelves. The singer left behind several unfinished projects and a trove of unreleased music.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090803/ap_on_en_mu/us_jackson_estate

1 in 5 americans think the press was easier on Michael than on other celebs.. are they crazy?!?

Filing: Michael Jackson's life insurance paid out

By ANTHONY MCCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer Anthony Mccartney, Ap Entertainment Writer 12 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Court filings state the administrators of Michael Jackson's estate have received the King of Pop's life insurance proceeds.
The records, filed Friday in Los Angeles, are redacted and don't indicate how much the policy paid out. The filings state that money designated for Jackson's three children has been received by a trust being handled by special administrators of the singer's estate.
The filings are meant to augment a petition to give the children a monthly stipend. Another filing indicates Jackson's mother, Katherine, is also eligible for some benefits from the policy.
The administrators are also seeking an allowance for Katherine Jackson, who is now caring for the children.
A court hearing is scheduled Monday on whether the allowances will be granted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090803/ap_on_en_mu/us_jackson_estate

Fawcett, Jackson get 'Fair' magazine play

USA Today - Lorena Blas - ‎
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson are getting equal attention in September's Vanity Fair. Half of the copies will feature a cover ...

Gorgeous cover, Farrahs cover is absolutely gorgeous too. wow. the best magazine covers i've seen on either Michael, Farrah so far. like the captions too. getting both for sure.

image5202756g.jpg

(CBS) Americans believe Michael Jackson will be remembered more for his music than his personal troubles, a newly-released CBS News poll finds.

The survey found that 66 percent of those surveyed say the so-called "King Of Pop" will be remembered more for his legendary singing and dancing than for the plastic surgery, child sexual abuse charges and erratic behavior of his later years.

By contrast, one in four Americans say memories of that behavior will eclipse memories of Jackson's music.

Read The Complete Poll (pdf)

Jackson's contemporaries - Americans between the ages of 45 and 64 - were most likely to say the pop star will be most remembered for his music, with 73 percent indicating as much. Jackson died at age 50.

A sizable chunk of Americans feel that Jackson was not treated fairly by the media, the poll finds. More than one in three say the media were harder on Jackson than other celebrities.

But the criticism also goes in the other directions: One in five Americans say the press was easier on Jackson. Forty-two percent said the media treated Jackson about the same as other celebrities.

This poll was conducted among a random sample of 944 adults nationwide, interviewed by telephone July 9-12, 2009. Phone numbers were dialed from random digit dial samples of both standard land-line and cell phones. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus three percentage points. The error for subgroups is higher.

This poll release conforms to the Standards of Disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

© MMIX, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/03/opinion/polls/main5205832.shtml
So most americans support him. I wish they didn´t use that tone though, the "so called" king of pop. The media should have done the job correctly and instead of just saying he was accused investigate all the problems with the Chandlers and Arvizos and se that, yes he was eccentric but is there anyone who has done more for charity. That they have totally forgotten. Sometimes I wish he would just have kept his money for himself. I don´t think anyone would have blamed him and nobody would have been able to use him either. But investigative journalism is dead and that is a shame.

thx snoop
i don't get the whole farrah/mjj thing. it's obvious they meant different things?
i want a david carradine cover, vanity fair, how about that?
The "fallen angel" thing. I don´t know. Wasn´t she one of Charlie´s angels?

Back