Daily News - August 17, 2009

MsSnoop

Proud Member
News Cliplets for the day - feel free to add as NEWS pops up!

1.jpg

Jackson Tribute Song:

John Mayer, Lionel Richie and Whitney Houston are leading an all-star tribute to Michael Jackson with a cover of his track “Will You Be There”. Usher, Dionne Warwick, Wyclef Jean and Jermaine Jackson are also laying down vocals for the remake, according to Tmz.com.

The charity song has been masterminded by talk show host Larry King's wife Shawn, who is also co-coordinating a gig to honor the late King Of Pop in Vienna, Austria next month (Sep09), along with the star's brother Jermaine. The proceeds from the record will be split equally between The Larry King Cardiac Foundation and an unspecified charity which Jackson supported.

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/news.php?newscatid=1&newsid=1372

********************************​

My Ten Sense: Michael Jackson and Elvis offer great money lesson

Florida Times-Union - Teneshia LaFaye - Elvis Pressley and Michael Jackson are great examples of the wealth that can be generated through residual income. Residual income is when a person creates ...

*********************************​

Michael Jackson Pool Party Raises Money For Boys and Girls Club

WHSV - Sarah Sager -
Kids, lifeguards and adults alike are all grooving to the sweets sounds of Michael Jackson. And Kia Brent, Unit Director for the Boys and Girls Club of ...

************************************​
Sly Stone Reveals Financial Woes in First Interview in 20 Years

TwentyFourBit -
In a strange twist, Stone claims that Michael Jackson had commissioned him to write songs for a forthcoming album, a break he was hoping would get him out ...

pU1p3ehaPq4hk4jgEk5ufui8o1_400.jpg

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1993 - The Los Angeles Police Department began investigating charges brought by the father of a 13-year-old boy that Jackson had allegedly abused earlier in the year.

1995 - Michael Jackson gave his first Internet chat.

2004 - Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville ruled that police did have "probable cause" that Michael Jackson had committed a crime when they searched his Neverland ranch in November 2003.

Article hailing Michael as a fashion icon

i wasn't sure where to post this but there's quite a lot of info in it that I haven't seen before so i went with the main forum..sorry if this is the wrong place, or if it's already been posted. my friend found it in a fashion magazine called "dansk" and i thought i'd scan it for all to see. the pictures are beautiful.. i know the quality is bad but my scanner sucks. i tried to clean the scans up as much as possible.

Mj-done.jpg

Re: Article hailing Michael as a fashion icon

Whoa, haven't seen those pictures before - thanks :)

just realized you can barely read the headline.... here's a close-up

mj-bigger.jpg

Shawn King, Larry's wife pulls out of Tribute gig...

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/kings-wife-drops-out-of-jackson-tribute_1112903

KING'S WIFE DROPS OUT OF JACKSON TRIBUTE

LARRY KING's country singer wife SHAWN has pulled out of performing a duet with MICHAEL JACKSON's brother JERMAINE at the upcoming tribute concert for the King of Pop in Vienna, Austria.
Shawn King was expected to take the stage with Jermaine at the gig next month (Sep09), and even masterminded an all-star tribute cover of the late singer's track Will You Be There - reportedly asking Whitney Houston, John Mayer and Lionel Richie to provide vocals.
But despite her heavy involvement in the tribute show, King has decided to step down from her planned duet with the former Jackson 5 star, due to "prior commitments".
A rep for the singer tells New York gossip column Page Six, "She still has great love and respect for Jermaine."

14 August 2009 12:22

Lucius, thank you for posting that amazing article for us to read! I loved it!

I think back in the 1980s, Michael was very much recognized for his fashion. Everything he wore was emulated by the mass public. But as his personal life 'rumors' got bigger and bigger, his talents and fashion sense were pushed back in the minds of the public.

I agree with what the article said about his more recent public attire. I loved all the Balmain stuff MJ was wearing because it was simple (mostly black), yet very flashy and noticeable at the same time (with the details).

I hope that Michael's fashion legacy is finally recognized and celebrated by the masses. I loved those designs that he and Christian Audigier were working on that were going to be sold at the concerts or at stores. That 'Beat It' jacket t-shirt was so cool.

Anyways, I've always loved that outift Michael wore in the History teaser. He really looked like the perfect man in it! :)

'Today' previews Michael Jackson/Christian Audigier clothing line

Before I left the house this morning, the "Today" show ran a segment about the oft-mentioned clothing line Christian Audigier was working on with Michael Jackson before the king of pop's untimely demise.

The collaboration has always made a certain sense -- Jackson was a celebrity guest at the 50th birthday partythe affable Frenchman threw for himself last year, Audigier is reportedly renting the house Jackson died in, and they both seem to appreciate the overly embellished aesthetic.

When -- or even whether -- the line hits store shelves is apparently something that's in the hands of those administering the Jackson estate. I'll try to get more details - and some photos -- of some key pieces. But in the meantime, I've posted the video link after the jump.

Take this as a warning to start saving now for that foil printed umbrella or pair of sequin-studded socks, because for a kitsch memorial to the king of pop, you just can't beat it.

-- Adam Tschorn

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/all...n-collaborate-on-clothing-line-ed-hardy-.html

Jackson kids now have lawyer; estate debate continues

Jackson kids now have lawyer; estate debate continues
By Alan Duke
CNN

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- The newly named lawyer for Michael Jackson's children makes her first court appearance Monday as a judge decides if he'll approve a contract between Jackson's estate and concert promoter AEG Live.

Michael Jackson's estate will be the subject of a court hearing today.
Jackson's mother, Katherine Jackson, who has custody of the three children, objected to provisions of the deal that would give AEG Live a share of rights to video of her son's final rehearsals.
Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff appointed estate law expert Margaret Lodise last week to represent the children after he decided their interests might sometimes conflict with their grandmother's.
Despite warnings by estate lawyers that a delay could cost millions of dollars, Beckloff delayed his decision on the AEG Live contract one week to give the children's new lawyer time to weigh in on the deal.
The contract would provide for an exhibition of Jackson memorabilia that would travel to at least three cities, according to Kathy Jorrie, a lawyer for concert promoter AEG Live.
"The longer we wait, the more time passes, frankly, the less interest there will be on the part of the public to come see it," Jorrie said.
The judge has already approved a contract to allow Columbia Pictures to use video that AEG Live shot of Jackson's last rehearsals for a documentary due out this fall. Columbia is a division of Sony Pictures.
Sony Pictures said it would deliver the movie -- "This Is It" -- to theaters starting October 30 "with the full support of the estate of Michael Jackson."
Court papers filed last week revealed that Columbia Pictures would pay a minimum of $60 million for the rights to make the Jackson movie.
Katherine Jackson's lawyers, while endorsing the movie deal, have objected to terms given to AEG, saying they are too generous to the company.
Jackson's lawyers objected to the estate's agreement to let AEG recover all its expenses from that money, then take 10 percent of the remainder. It also gives the company a perpetual share of the profits from the video rights.
AEG Live's lawyer said the company had made many concessions to the estate and could not make more.

The judge previously has said he might approve the contracts even over Katherine Jackson's objection.
Jermaine Jackson, Michael Jackson's older brother, told CNN's Larry King recently that he likes the deals, which he said could bring in nearly $100 million into the estate.
Katherine Jackson and Michael Jackson's three children are the main beneficiaries of the estate, which is controlled by Jackson's former lawyer, John Branca, and longtime Jackson friend and music executive John McClain.
Branca and McClain were named in Jackson's will as executors. Katherine Jackson is considering a challenge of their control of the estate.
Jackson kids now have lawyer; estate debate continues[/url]

Lucius, thank you for posting that amazing article for us to read! I loved it!

I think back in the 1980s, Michael was very much recognized for his fashion. Everything he wore was emulated by the mass public. But as his personal life 'rumors' got bigger and bigger, his talents and fashion sense were pushed back in the minds of the public.

I agree with what the article said about his more recent public attire. I loved all the Balmain stuff MJ was wearing because it was simple (mostly black), yet very flashy and noticeable at the same time (with the details).

I hope that Michael's fashion legacy is finally recognized and celebrated by the masses. I loved those designs that he and Christian Audigier were working on that were going to be sold at the concerts or at stores. That 'Beat It' jacket t-shirt was so cool.

Anyways, I've always loved that outift Michael wore in the History teaser. He really looked like the perfect man in it! :)

yeah, i agree with you.
what i also liked about it was the part about michael as a humanitarian which hasn't really been mentioned enough, it's like every time it's brought up someone mentions the allegations too. so this was nice

Thanks for the article, Lucius. I think I would say in the eighties and early nineties it was obvious at times that Michael was having an influence on fashion and that's why he wasn't directly credited. Everyone knew already. He was just so big.

Thanks for the article, Lucius. I think I would say in the eighties and early nineties it was obvious at times that Michael was having an influence on fashion and that's why he wasn't directly credited. Everyone knew already. He was just so big.

I agree with you. There's a TV host here in Brazil that was hugely successful among kids in the beggining of the 90's and she was absolutely influenced by Michael's style and she even went to Neverland to meet him!
Later on (1993), she announced a contest for 5 to 10-year-old kids to win a trip to Neverland Ranch. It never happened due to the pedophilia accusations. I was 5 at the time. =(

Back