Crowd of Michael Jackson fans dispersed in St. Petersburg

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member

[h=1]Police crack down on Michael Jackson fans in Russia[/h]
Police in Russia's St. Petersburg city tried to prevent a group of Michael Jackson fans from commemorating the third death anniversary of the "King of Pop", citing a new law on public gatherings.

Jackson's fans have been gathering near the US consulate in St. Petersburg every year since the singer's death June 25, 2009, to mark his passing by lighting candles, putting up posters, singing and moonwalking.

The consulate has been supportive of the annual flash mob, as have police, but this year law enforcement took a different view of the event, according to city news website Baltinfo.ru.

Police tore down posters brought by fans who gathered near the consulate. They also threatened to slap hefty fines for an unsanctioned public gathering.

A police car followed the Jackson fans down a street, and one activist had to spend several hours in detention for staging an unauthorised rally.

Legislation on public rallies in Russia was radically tightened after regular anti-Kremlin protests were held in Moscow since December.

New rules hiked fines for violations at public events or staging unsanctioned rallies from 1,000 to 300,000 rubles.

http://www.rt.com/news/prime-time/jackson-fan-dispersed-petersburg-816/

They should have made an exception in this case, after all it was for Michael. Silly police :pth:

If that news of new laws regarding public gatherings was made...public...then those fans should have known about it. Shame it happened but it was preventable.

I hope none of the fans got roughed up. Don't see the point as it wasn't exactly a demonstration or protest, and it's pretty nasty that they tore up the posters.

:bugeyed :wtf: !! Incredible ! where was the wrong here ! it's very sad :( I hope that the fans have not been roughed

BOOOOOO!!! YOU DAMNED AUTHORITIES RUINED IT UP!!!

Never trust the police. I know I don't.

No drama no press, no LOVE just conformity masked into HATE !! Where is their humanity, Michael died and they never had a problem before when they did this, in a NON-VIOLENT way in the previous years ! It wasn't ABOUT the Kremlin this time , it was about LOVE.. which apparently is a relative term in Russia ! They will force their own people to chose LOVE and LIFE not impose life in A cold BOX called never think outside your little square Russian style !! Cold War flasbacks anyone ?? I have lost respect for Russia because they actually think the rest of the world of Michael Jackson fans wouldn't see that they did this !!

Fight the POWER !! Fight the POWERS that BE :punk:

[youtube]QNJL6nfu__Q[/youtube]

If that news of new laws regarding public gatherings was made...public...then those fans should have known about it. Shame it happened but it was preventable.

Im sad it went down that way :( But yes it was preventable. All they needed to do was get a sanction apply for a license for thier public event. I Wonder why they didnt do that? Were they not aware of the law?

I know Fans were allowed to Celebrate in Moscow .. I guess they applied for a sanction for thier Event

Im sad it went down that way :( But yes it was preventable. All they needed to do was get a sanction apply for a license for thier public event. I Wonder why they didnt do that? Were they not aware of the law?

I know Fans were allowed to Celebrate in Moscow .. I guess they applied for a sanction for thier Event

Qbee, with all due respect, what you saying is a bit naive. I had my experience with St. Petersburg police. Interestingly enough, the law regarding meetings has remained the same, what changed is the fine. Normally, such gatherings would never be dispersed.

How very sad, they were being peaceful, I don't understand.

Putins taking russia back to the cold war era. hes turning into nothing more that a dictator with things that have gone on lately

Back