Create THE Essential MJ Album

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
I saw this on another site and thought it was kind of a cool idea.

Create an MJ album comprising of songs from his solo albums and solo albums only! but here's the catch:

-You can ONLY pick 10 songs and the order of the songs count, so put some thought into it and if you feel like it, say why you put them in that order.

-The 10 songs don't necessarily have to be your favorites either, in fact it's better if they aren't. Pick the songs you think are Michael's best and best represent who he is as an artist.

-No unreleased songs or songs with his brothers can be included

NowI have to say that it was soooo hard to pick just 10 lol, but I finally came up with a list:

1)Aint No Sunshine

2)Man In The Mirror

3)Human Nature

4)Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

5)Give In To Me

6)Billie Jean

7)Who Is it

8)They Don't Care About Us

9)Stranger In Moscow

10)The Lady In My Life

And again these songs aren't necessarily my fave Michael songs ever although I do like all of them very much, but I felt that these songs show Michael's diversity as an artist. He can sing anything from rock to r&b. I put them in that order also because I wanted to start off from the beginning of his solo career. Then songs like "Billie Jean" and "Who Is It" made sense to put one after the next because they both have very strong basslines and both are about decietful women. Now, "They Don't Care About Us" and "Stranger of Moscow" both have themes of despair but TDCAU is more about the despair of an individual, which would be Michael in this case, while TDCAU talks about the hardships of a whole group of people but they both talk about despair is some way so I thought it made sense to put them one after the next. Now I was thinking to add Off The Wall and Morphine because I think those songs really show how diverse Mike can be and I just really like them, but I decided that I needed to add in a nice, romantic ballad that displayed Mike's vocal abilities well and LIML seemed like the best fit.

Anyway, discuss. I'm curious to know what everyone's else list looks like.....

Last edited:
Very interesting. Here's my list of 10 songs:

1. Man In The Mirror
2. Smooth Criminal
3. Black Or White
4. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
5. Billie Jean
6. Heal The World
7. Beat It
8. Unbreakable
9. Thriller
10. Bad

Cool topic and great list the flow of it all makes perfect sine to me. And when I make CDs I always try to make sure the songs flow well together so lets see...

1. Jam
2. Remember The Time
3. You Are Not Alone
4. They Dont Care About Us
5. Heal The World
6. Unbreakable
7. Break of Dawn
8. Shes Out Of My Life
9. This Time Around
10. Man In The Mirror

Wow that was hard. Well I started off with Jam because I always like to start off CDs with a bang I guess you could say and theres few that come close to that. So then of course you want to slow things down a bit without going down completely so I went to Remember The Time. Then went with that slower love route. Pick things back up with a great message about hatred followed by what we should do to fix that hatred and thats Heal The World.

Moving on to Unbreakable. I just thought it fit here and I think it adds to the diversity of the album. And its a great inspirational message as well as a good song to jam too. Then came the smooth track Break of Dawn which was followed by Shes Out of My Life. I just thought him singing about love then losing it went hand especially since that happens to us all. It goes perfectly then boom, its over. And I always pair up Shes out of My Life like that.

This Time Around just sounds great to me and fit perfectly here because it picks the mood back up a bit. Its almost like the person saying "Sure you're out of my life but now im over that and This Time Around I'm Better". We finally close with Man In The Mirror. I love to close with a message and I often Choose Man In The Mirror so I went that route.

I might actually have to make this sometime. In fact I saved it so I could do just that haha.

1. Rock with you
2. Billie Jean
3. Thriller
4. Smooth Criminal
5. Remember the time
6. Who is it
7. Stranger in moscow
8. You are not alone
9. Earth song
10. Ghosts

1. Scream
2. Black Or White
3. They Don't Care About Us
4. Dirty Diana
5. Privacy
6. Jam
7. Remember The Time
8. Butterflies
9. You Are Not Alone
10. Man In The Mirror

1.rock with you
2.billie jean
3.the way you make me feel
4.break of dawn
5.jam
6.baby be mine
7.wanna be startin somethin
8.thriller
9.ghosts
10.lady in my life

Cool topic and great list the flow of it all makes perfect sine to me. And when I make CDs I always try to make sure the songs flow well together so lets see...

1. Jam
2. Remember The Time
3. You Are Not Alone
4. They Dont Care About Us
5. Heal The World
6. Unbreakable
7. Break of Dawn
8. Shes Out Of My Life
9. This Time Around
10. Man In The Mirror

Wow that was hard. Well I started off with Jam because I always like to start off CDs with a bang I guess you could say and theres few that come close to that. So then of course you want to slow things down a bit without going down completely so I went to Remember The Time. Then went with that slower love route. Pick things back up with a great message about hatred followed by what we should do to fix that hatred and thats Heal The World.

Moving on to Unbreakable. I just thought it fit here and I think it adds to the diversity of the album. And its a great inspirational message as well as a good song to jam too. Then came the smooth track Break of Dawn which was followed by Shes Out of My Life. I just thought him singing about love then losing it went hand especially since that happens to us all. It goes perfectly then boom, its over. And I always pair up Shes out of My Life like that.

This Time Around just sounds great to me and fit perfectly here because it picks the mood back up a bit. Its almost like the person saying "Sure you're out of my life but now im over that and This Time Around I'm Better". We finally close with Man In The Mirror. I love to close with a message and I often Choose Man In The Mirror so I went that route.

I might actually have to make this sometime. In fact I saved it so I could do just that haha.

Nice list! I enjoyed reading your explaination. I think "Jam" especially was a really good choice to start off an album, it's a great dance track and "Man In The Mirror" is always a good way to end. Michael almost always closes with that song so good choice there. The songs on your list flow together nicely.

Hmm...

1)Heal The World
2)Black Or White
3)You Rock My World
4)Who is it
5)The Way You Make Me Feel
6)Thriller
7)Dirty Diana
8)Smooth Criminal
9)Bad
10)Ghost

OMG That was so hard! Anyway... here is my reason for this particular order...

I started of with Heal The World because I feel that it is important to be reminded of the message that is tucked inside the song, therefore, It is the very first. It is the same for Black Or White... Then It was You Rock My World followed by Who Is It those two are supposed to be a pair... After he got the girl... after some time, she left him. After that, The Way You Make Me Feel is like... he fell in love again... And in Thriller at the start of the song he is teasing his girlfriend... Then it was Dirty Diana because Diana y'now, told the girlfriend that he was sleeping with her so then he lost his girlfriend again... Then it was Smooth Criminal because if not of the name Annie... maybe the girl could be Diana. Then it was Bad because... well... I don't know *blushes* sorry sorry sorry... Then it was Ghost for the same reason there was for Bad...

Last edited:
1. Rock With You
2. Break Of Dawn
3. Give Into Me
4. Billie Jean
5. Way You Make Me Feel
6. Stranger In Moscow
7. Get On The Floor
8. Dangerous
9. Scream
10. Is It Scary

Hmm...

1)Heal The World
2)Black Or White
3)You Rock My World
4)Who is it
5)The Way You Make Me Feel
6)Thriller
7)Dirty Diana
8)Smooth Criminal
9)Bad
10)Ghost

OMG That was so hard! Anyway... here is my reason for this particular order...

I started of with Heal The World because I feel that it is important to be reminded of the message that is tucked inside the song, therefore, It is the very first. It is the same for Black Or White... Then It was You Rock My World followed by Who Is It those two are supposed to be a pair... After he got the girl... after some time, she left him. After that, The Way You Make Me Feel is like... he fell in love again... And in Thriller at the start of the song he is teasing his girlfriend... Then it was Dirty Diana because Diana y'now, told the girlfriend that he was sleeping with her so then he lost his girlfriend again... Then it was Smooth Criminal because if not of the name Annie... maybe the girl could be Diana. Then it was Bad because... well... I don't know *blushes* sorry sorry sorry... Then it was Ghost for the same reason there was for Bad...

I like it. Its like the story of a high school couple being "on again off again" haha. Nice list.

10 Songs?

Oh man?

:mello:

First Edition:

1. Jam
2. They Don't Care About Us
3. Rock With You
4. Billie Jean
5. Who Is It
6. Heal The World
7. Earth Song
8. You Rock My World
9. Speechless
10. Off The Wall

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
2. I Can't Help It
3. Leave Me Alone
4. Who Is It
5. Stranger in Moscow
6. Remember the Time
7. Working Day and Night
8. Beat It
9. Will You Be There
10. Billie Jean

1. You Can't Win (long version)
2. Just A little Bit Of You
3. Whatever Happens
4. The Man (with Paul McCartney)
5. I Can't Help It
6. Euphoria
7. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
8. Smooth Criminal
9. I Wanna Be Where You Are
10. It's The Falling In Love (with Patti Austin)

Back