Could you help me to select a song?

TheSilentOne

Proud Member
My grandma teaches dancing lessons, it's basics of modern dance, folk dance, ballet - the point is to teach the kids how to move to music and to develop the sense of rhythm and melody, to teach them how to embody the music. Usually she does choreographies to classical pieces, folk songs, or child songs. But the older girls (12, 13 years old) prefer something more up to date. The last choreography she did was "Walk, Don't Walk" by Prince and the New Power Generation. Now she wants to do a new choreography and she asked me to recommend some songs to her, as she really doesn't listen to this kind of music. It should be something appropriate for young girls (nothing too much sexual or controversial), also the catchy beat is not everything. It could also be just instrumental (in fact she would prefer it to be just music).

The natural thought was to give her Michael's music, but I think it would have to be some rather unknown song, as there are already pretty good choreographies to many of his songs ;) and I'm also not sure if his music generally wouldn't be considered inappropriete for kids in our country :/

I have just a very rough idea so far, I was thinking about "Al Capone", Prince's "Shy" (but not sure about the lyrics), some Bee Gees song (but not sure which one to choose), maybe Janet's "Rhythm Nation"...

Do you have any ideas?

you stated that Michael's music is inappropriate in your country...so, you feel uncomfortable with your thoughts of possibly using Al Capone? With the Bad twenty five promo and Michael's familiar voice, the world will know about Al Capone.

If it were me, I'd choose 'Will You Be There'. All kinds of ideas could come from that one, even if MJ came up with something..maybe..IMO.

I would second Will You Be There and Little Suzie is actually almost made for sweet girls to dance to. Liberian Girl is also very sweet to dance to. Beautiful Girl also comes to mind.

If You Don't Love Me would be for more upbeat and fun group choreography - sort of with a wink.

you stated that Michael's music is inappropriate in your country...so, you feel uncomfortable with your thoughts of possibly using Al Capone? With the Bad twenty five promo and Michael's familiar voice, the world will know about Al Capone.
Well, there's no promotion for BAD 25 at all in our country ;)
Anyway, it's not a generally known song, so it might be OK.

If it were me, I'd choose 'Will You Be There'. All kinds of ideas could come from that one, even if MJ came up with something..maybe..IMO.

I would second Will You Be There and Little Suzie is actually almost made for sweet girls to dance to. Liberian Girl is also very sweet to dance to. Beautiful Girl also comes to mind.

If You Don't Love Me would be for more upbeat and fun group choreography - sort of with a wink.
Thank you very much for your ideas. The point is that the girls don't feel like "sweet little girls" anymore ;)
Will You Be There might be a good choice. Little Suzie is too classical...
I think I will make a compilation of songs, play it for my grandmother and let her choose.

Any other ideas? Just say songs that make you want to dance recorded in last 30 years.
:th_rogerfriedman:

If you don't mind me asking, what country is that? It sounds so mysterious :)

I would recommend Off the Wall. Very groovy song and not at all inappropriate.

Or...a funny song that makes people wanna dance Architecture in Helsinki - Heart it Races

If you don't mind me asking, what country is that? It sounds so mysterious :)

I would recommend Off the Wall. Very groovy song and not at all inappropriate.

Or...a funny song that makes people wanna dance Architecture in Helsinki - Heart it Races

Haha, it's not mysterious at all - I'm from the Czech Republic.
Thanks for your ideas :)

How about Janet's "If". Joking of course.

How about disney songs such as "I Just cant wait to be king". I Love that song

How about Janet's "If". Joking of course.

How about disney songs such as "I Just cant wait to be king". I Love that song

Thank you for your ideas. Actually something like "If" is closer to what I am looking for (not lyrically of course) than "I Just cant wait to be king" - they are young ladies, no children anymore (at least I'm sure it's their opinion) ;)

I also forgot to say that it should be a faster song.

What about Unbreakable or You Rock My World? :dancin:

Back