Could Michael Play Guitar & / or Drums

BillieJean84

Proud Member
Amongst dancing and singing, couldn't MJ play guitar - electric?:punk: & play drums?? Or no??

Drums - yes. Percussion and standard drum kits.

Guitar - I don't know about.

Piano - Not like Stevie Wonder - but definitely could play keyboards.

I think he might have played the guitar..I read somewhere that he played guitar (or bass?? Sounds like a bass) on Money ....Not sure how accurate this is...Doesn't give much detail in the HIStory booklet thingy...

Apparently he could play the guitar in his head...? And I think he knew it a little bit of piano, because he had one in Neverland and he said he would sit at it and make songs up... and also the pepsi ad.

I can only guess, but I think Michael was the kind of person that don't know how to play the piano, but does it anyway :D
Meaning, he knew in his head what he wanted to hear so he just kept playing wrong until he got it right - that's at least how I learned to play on an amateur level.

The only problem is that you end up not knowing the names of any chords, or anything like that - Teddy Riley explained how he played Remember The Time and Michael pointed at the piano and was like "oh go to a g-chord" without really knowing what a g-chord is, but Teddy couldn't be mad at him anyway :D

From what I've understood, Michael wrote and produced "The Lost Children" - and Brad Buxer just programmed the keyboard patches?!

EDIT: My bad, I totally ignored that you were asking for Guitars and Drums - I'm sorry.
I know he started out playing percussions though.

Last edited:
teddy reily talked about mj playing intruments in the studio in an interview years back.seems he could play some but nothing up to an amazing standard

From what I've read Michael could play piano, guitar and drums but not to a standard that he was happy with performing in front of people.

I know Michael was learning how to play the piano and drums when he was younger.

I've read it in a J5 article.

But I dont think he was good or confident enough to actually play in a concert.

Also, Michael used to be the bongo player in the J5 before he became the lead singer.

Back