Consequence of Sound has counted down the Top 100 Songs Ever, see where MJ falls

billyworld99

Proud Member
M_CoSTop100Songs630_092112_zpsfb26091f.jpg

Songs by Beach Boys, Dylan, Michael Jackson, Beatles, Stones Included on Influential Blog’s "100 Greatest Songs Ever"

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2012/09/24/songs-by-beach-boys-dylan-michael-jackson-beatles-stones-included-on-influential-blogs-100-greatest-songs-ever-li/

What are the greatest songs ever? Well, that’s all subjective, but the influential music blog Consequence of Sound has taken a stab at making a list of them in honor of its fifth anniversary.

Landing at #1 on the blog’s eclectic “Top 100 Greatest Songs Ever” list is the 1966 Beach Boys gem “God Only Knows.” Also finishing in the upper reaches of the tally are The Talking Heads‘ “Once in a Lifetime” at #2, Bob Dylan‘s “Like a Rolling Stone” at #3, Michael Jackson‘s “Man in the Mirror” at #4, The Beatles‘ “A Day in the Life” at #5, The Rolling Stones‘ “Sympathy for the Devil” at #7 and Aretha Franklin‘s “Respect” at #8.

Other veteran rock and pop artists who made it onto the list include Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, The Jackson 5, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, David Bowie, Madonna and Pink Floyd.

To check out the entire list, which also features songs from a wide variety of other genres, including hip-hop, indie rock, jazz and blues, visit
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/top-100-songs-ever-50-1/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here are the Michael Jackson songs from the list, which can be seen in it's entirety here:
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/09/top-100-songs-ever-50-1/

42. Michael Jackson – “Billie Jean”

Thriller, 1982

“It has more hooks in it than anything I’ve ever heard,” said mega-producer/record exec Antonio “LA” Reid. “You could separate it into 12 different musical pieces and I think you’d have 12 different hits.” That’s all very true, but the power of “Billie Jean” reaches far beyond sheer hooks. The video, famed for those squares of road lighting up under Jackson’s flittering feet, is often cited with breaking the race barrier of MTV in the early 80s, when it became the first clip from a black artist to garner heavy rotation. When he sang the hit in 1983 at the Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, Forever TV special, Jackson premiered his now-iconic moonwalk, a move that went on to define his performances and redefine what your uncle would try to do at weddings. Spending seven weeks atop the U.S. charts, “Billie Jean” was Jackson’s most successful single; with its historical significance, both to Jackson the performer and music as a whole, its eminence is indelible, a mark pop music will wear proudly and gratefully for decades to come. -
Ben Kaye

15. Jackson 5 – “I Want You Back”

Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5, 1969

The Jackson 5’s first widely released single, “I Want You Back”, couldn’t have been a more memorable debut for its almost unbelievably precocious leader. There was no way ten-year-old Michael had actually been through the romantic regrets he was singing about here; indeed, Motown’s in-house team The Corporation originally wrote the track for Gladys Knight & The Pips. Nevertheless, the ebullient frontboy had no problem giving the song all of his already relentless power, making it easy enough to believe him even when he was offering up lines like “Trying to live without your love is one long sleepless night.” Even during the fadeout, he keeps at it, repeating the titular phrase over and again, just to make sure he gets his point across.

But, as they say, it takes a village to raise a child’s most virtuosic performance to its fullest potential. Jermaine, Tito, Marlon, and Jackie back their baby brother’s lead with shimmering pitch-perfection; keyboards flutter, pianos pound, and bass glides next to electric guitar fluidity; and Gene Pello’s snare and Sandra Crouch’s tambourine practically beg the listener to clap along in time. Despite the song’s being more or less about heartache, these things combine for three of the most beatific minutes imaginable, three minutes so addictive that playing them just once through (as opposed to, say, eight or nine times in a row) is rarely a possibility. Would these kids, fresh up out of Gary, Indiana, be one-hit wonders? There was never a chance. -
Mike Madden

4. Michael Jackson – “Man in the Mirror”

Bad, 1988

Michael Jackson didn’t write this song, and I don’t think he ever could have. Not in 1998. Maybe in 1984 if Lionel Richie had elbowed him a bit harder, but never in 1988 could Jackson have put a pen to a paper and wrote the words, “I’m starting with the man in the mirror.” When Jackson looked in his bathroom mirror at his Neverland Ranch in 1987, just before Bad was released, he saw his own note stuck to his bathroom mirror that read “100 Million” — the number of copies of Bad he wanted sell. The Jackson that was reflected in that mirror was both a shrewd businessman selling his name-rights and hoarding Beatles songs while making millions, and a fragile hermetic spending his time in hyperbaric chambers trying to recreate Xanadu and managing a steady regression to his childhood. The late ‘80s were thorny for Jackson.

Above it all, both at the time and in his legacy, Jackson was a performer. He belonged on the stage which was one of the only places in his life that made sense to him. Off the stage he’d surround himself with all manners of eccentric company — pet chimpanzees and boa constrictors hardly chief among them — that distracted him until he finally was back to making and performing music. “Man in the Mirror” was handed to him by Quincy Jones through songwriters Glenn Ballard and Siedah Garret. For Jackson, whose distance from reality was by now becoming extra-terrestrial, the only way he could sing about something that personal and introspective was if someone wrote it for him. Even if Jackson managed to trick some fans into thinking that he can write lyrics that weren’t pulled from a Tony Scott movie, there’s a felicitous weight to the song knowing that it was handed to him from a stranger.

Not since maybe Dylan had there been a “message” song that didn’t seem mawkish or sanctimonious. Those divas like Whitney Houston, Celine Dion would try — but “Man in the Mirror” is the yet uncrested high-water mark of Adult Contemporary Pop. Its glossy production by Quincy Jones is complete with gradual crescendo, gospel choir, and The Key Change, while Jackson’s vocals oscillate between a legato stroll on “They follow the pattern of the wind ya see” and a determined staccato grit on “That’s why I’m starting with me.” Its very blueprint is designed to reach as many hearts as possible and squeeze the hell out of them. It doesn’t couch its message in riddles or reward the listener being able to dissect its meaning — its laid bare and it couldn’t be easier to assimilate.

“Do you want to make the world a better place?” Sure I do, buddy, just as much as I want to laugh your haughty platitude off the stage. “Then take a look at yourself and make a change.” I — shit. So that’s where the onus is. I know about that extra second I spend lingering at the mirror in the morning: a little ego, a little anxiety, a little fear. But I can’t linger too long, I’m too self-reflexive. What if I find something wrong or start to doubt what might be right? What if my “100 Million” post-it note isn’t distracting me anymore? What if I’m just a slacktivist masquerading as a selfless contributor to society, thinking that by signing online petitions I “really care” and am helping those who are less fortunate than I? What if I don’t want to change my ways? What do I even want? Michael Jackson just wanted the world to be a better place and thought that maybe by starting small we could do it. So, even if you don’t want to do it for yourself, do it for Michael — it’s what he didn’t even know he wanted until it was staring right back at him. -Jeremy D. Larson

Last edited by a moderator:
who voted for these songs? Glad to see Man In the Mirror at # 4

Sorry but it's a joke to put I Want You Back on Nr 15. while Billie Jean is on Nr 42.

It's even a joke to put Billie Jean behind MITM. IMO Billie Jean should be in the Top 3 at least, period. This song won. Uhm, seriously? (At least it's not the Beatles, for once.)

I'd really love to know who decided this list...

[video=youtube;AOMyS78o5YI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMyS78o5YI[/video]

Also notice the condescending tone when describing MITM:

“Man in the Mirror” was handed to him by Quincy Jones through songwriters Glenn Ballard and Siedah Garret. For Jackson, whose distance from reality was by now becoming extra-terrestrial, the only way he could sing about something that personal and introspective was if someone wrote it for him. Even if Jackson managed to trick some fans into thinking that he can write lyrics that weren’t pulled from a Tony Scott movie, there’s a felicitous weight to the song knowing that it was handed to him from a stranger."

I bet they chose MITM instead of Billie Jean to be high on their list because Michael wrote Billie Jean and they should have maybe said something nice about him as a songwriter then. Maybe call him a genius or something. Unthinkable for them. But MITM is great for them because he did not write it... :smilerolleyes:

Never mind that most of the songs those made MJ the global phenomenon that he was were written by him, including Billie Jean that basically made Thriller the biggest selling album of all times.

PS: And Michael did not "trick" any fans into thinking he wrote MITM. I thought the credits were clear on the album sleeve. He did not even add his name as a co-writer, by changing half a line, like you hear about many other stars. Now, when stars do that that's what I call "tricking". What a stupid article.

Last edited:
I fixed the broken links so you can view the site

Jeremy D. Larson wrote the description of MITM disrespecting Michael with a bunch of tabloid nonsense.
that has nothign to do with the music..

Ben Kaye/Billie Jean
and Mike Madden/I Wantt you Back were respectful when writing their piece

not many are giving favorable comments on the list Peroid. but Music is subjective

You can comment on the list about the dim-witted, pointless write up from Jeremy D. Larson

That Jeremy dude was quite a disrespectful twat..whatever, not digging the rank but..oh well.

This is dumb. And did anyone notice the pic has an adult MJ holding a baby version of himself. o_O Which is suppose to be mocking the so called "baby dangling" B.S! So retarded! -_-

Jeremy Larson, don't shame your mirror by looking at it.

It's a good thing i witnessed Michael's life for myself. He could have written man in the mirror a thousand times over. it just so happened he chose the song from someone else...and made it his.

i kinda like the number 1 song by the Beach Boys, but i have yet to see one of these articles actually name a song written by Michael as being the number 1 all time..and with the feeling of sentiment behind the article writers..i believe they're doing that on purpose. Envy never sleeps.

For once, it's nice to see Michael higher than The Beatles on a countdown of greatest songs, never thought i'd see the day. I dunno what it is with Billie Jean, but i think it's curse in these things is that it's an uptempo track. People seem to have a fear of putting uptempo tracks high on these countdowns, they always have to be ballads or more commonly mid tempo, Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway, Imagine, all great and everything, but notice something they all have in common? exactly. Somehow it's more clever if you write something slow, an uptempo track no matter how great will always be seen as a throw away dance tune by these people, it'l almost never be up there. These slow tunes are often amazing songs and all, but in a gimmicky quite obvious way, Billie Jean is melodic and hook based genius, but it's not presented in a cliche format that try's to say this is some all time great profound song or something, and therefore the countdown people fall into picking the same songs like musical sheep, cause they expect the music to presented in a certain way sonically for it to earn such a position, i think it's a little silly, but i think that's whats often going on.

^^ To be fair, there was a poll by British ITV not long ago for Britain's favorite Nr 1 and Billie Jean was 2nd. Yeah, Nr 1 was Bohemian Rhapsody but I thought second, especially behind a British band, was a good result. And like you said, at least it wasn't the Beatles. :p

But yeah, I can see what you are saying. I also think such lists tend to be very rock orientated, which is also a shame. It seems to me that many people only consider something quality music if it's guitar centered rock music. In the comment section of this article someone actually called for the exclusion of rap and R&B and it seems to be a common sentiment when it comes to such lists...

Besides the Beatles Pink Floyd seem to be some untouchable gods of rock fans. At least I can understand that a bit more than the Beatles hype, because I think Floyd has better musicians and musically more interesting songs. But it would be a dull world if everyone would play that type of music, no matter how sophisticated it is. I just wish rock fans would be a bit less narrow-minded and more open to other styles as well.

Such lists can only be composed based on sales/airplay numbers. Any other chart would be subjective and ridiculous.

^^ To be fair, there was a poll by British ITV not long ago for Britain's favorite Nr 1 and Billie Jean was 2nd. Yeah, Nr 1 was Bohemian Rhapsody but I thought second, especially behind a British band, was a good result. And like you said, at least it wasn't the Beatles. :p

But yeah, I can see what you are saying. I also think such lists tend to be very rock orientated, which is also a shame. It seems to me that many people only consider something quality music if it's guitar centered rock music. In the comment section of this article someone actually called for the exclusion of rap and R&B and it seems to be a common sentiment when it comes to such lists...

Besides the Beatles Pink Floyd seem to be some untouchable gods of rock fans. At least I can understand that a bit more than the Beatles hype, because I think Floyd has better musicians and musically more interesting songs. But it would be a dull world if everyone would play that type of music, no matter how sophisticated it is. I just wish rock fans would be a bit less narrow-minded and more open to other styles as well.

Yeah, but we got to vote on that, so that's different to a critics lists, makes all the difference! :) Tell me about the whole rock things, it's gone way too far, i'll never understand it tbh. Guitar is a great instrument, my dads a frigging guitar teacher so it's all around me, but even he admits the instrument is done to death and is not the ultimate instrument as every instrument has it's own great sounds. Floyd are great, but slightly overrated by their own fans in my eyes, it's not god music from another world or something, lets be real, it is just a group of friends having great fun with synth programming, sound effects and guitar writing, i really like it, but i think sometimes it's made out to be 'deeper' than it actually is. Floyd are strong musicians, Nick mason is a great drummer with a great sense of feel, David Gilmour has a great tone and sense of melody, and Richard Wright an amazing piano player with such a gift for harmony.

But i still think they're elevated to a status that's a bit silly really, like all 'deep' music it should be taken with a pinch of salt, it isn't the gospel. But i agree they are better than The Beatles, at least to me. Floyd owes a lot of their success to Richard Wright, trust me on that one, i just kinda know as a fellow keyboard player where a lot of those harmonies are coming from, that unique sound of theirs. I don't listen to them that much, but it's pretty good stuff, although they are rated to a level to high imo by rock fans who've been smoking too much pot (sorry, i just had to go there :p) But yeah i still think the bias is way to much in rock's favor like you, and imo it's silly.

^^ We are on the same page not only about the Beatles, but also about Floyd. ;)
I just dislike the snobbish hype that surrounds certain musicians, bands and also certain genres, styles.

Why do so many people think that high quaility music is always rock related? There are plenty of great pop bands like a-ha, Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode who have created songs that are just as good (If not better) than any other rock band

Why do so many people think that high quaility music is always rock related? There are plenty of great pop bands like a-ha, Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode who have created songs that are just as good (If not better) than any other rock band

I dunno personally i think they're insecure, they've bought too much into something they know isn't everything really, so they ram it down everyone's throats, like this is the best, you do not challenge this, it's a little ridiculous really, i'm trying to learn how to not care, but i still care that vulnerable sheepish people are missing out on loads of great music, cause they get told what to like.

Billie Jean should be at number one or at least on Man In The Mirror place...

They just didnt want top admit Michael Jackson has written the best song ever.

I just dislike the snobbish hype that surrounds certain musicians, bands and also certain genres, styles.

I agree with your post. Rock people have always been a "music bullies", its either rock or nothing.

They damn bastards killed disco because it took money away from rock musicians:D

You guys I've never actually thought about it before, but you're right. People who are hardcore rock fans will always tell you that anything besides their own music SUCKS, it can be Mozart or MJ but it always sucks, damn those intolerant knucklehead headbangers rofl.

Who Is It > Billie Jean

I agree with it, but there's not really a chance for WII to do well in such polls as relatively few people know it. You have to consider that too. I don't think Bohemian Rhapsody is Queen's best song (although it's one of the best) but for a song to do well on such lists it has to be among the best known songs of an artist.

It doesn´t matter for me if they don´t like Michael´s music but to write such a rubbish about him..it hurts..but then I realise they don´t know what they are writing about.They are too stupid to know.

^^ We are on the same page not only about the Beatles, but also about Floyd. ;)

Speaking of music snobs i've actually heard some of them say that Michael didn't belong in the songwriters hall of fame just because he didn't play any instruments. I don't know wheather to laugh or cry at such stupidness

Cause as we all know to be a great songwriter you need to be up onstage strumming away on a guitar *Sarcasam*

^^ The funny thing about that is that the average music snob would probably consider someone like Eric Clapton more of a serious musician and songwriter than Michael, because he stands on stage with a guitar - and that's what they consider "authentic", not some dancing guy. How superficial! Michael actually wrote a lot more of his catalog than Clapton did! Clapton mainly plays music written by other people! (Heck, he even played Michael's music - Behind The Mask :p ).

Instruments are just a mean to express music, but not the only way. You can use instruments to write music, but you don't necessarily have to. It's as if someone would say: if you cannot type then you cannot be considered a writer or a poet. Well, typing is just a way to put down what you created, but there are other ways: you can handwrite, you can even dictate the story into a tape recorder. That doesn't take away from the fact that you created that piece. And if it's a genius' piece, then who cares about the method you chose to put it down?

Also there should be no rules what so ever about how someone wants to express their creativity. If someone wants to compose a song by playing a piano or strumming on a guitar that's fine, and if someone like Michael wants to compose a song by using his own voice then that's also fine. Creativity should be fun and have no rules. Cause once you start putting rules on how to be creative then it just sucks the fun out of it

^^ The funny thing about that is that the average music snob would probably consider someone like Eric Clapton more of a serious musician and songwriter than Michael, because he stands on stage with a guitar - and that's what they consider "authentic", not some dancing guy. How superficial! Michael actually wrote a lot more of his catalog than Clapton did! Clapton mainly plays music written by other people! (Heck, he even played Michael's music - Behind The Mask :p ).

Instruments are just a mean to express music, but not the only way. You can use instruments to write music, but you don't necessarily have to. It's as if someone would say: if you cannot type then you cannot be considered a writer or a poet. Well, typing is just a way to put down what you created, but there are other ways: you can handwrite, you can even dictate the story into a tape recorder. That doesn't take away from the fact that you created that piece. And if it's a genius' piece, then who cares about the method you chose to put it down?

Michael did have one instrument, his mouth. His beatboxing was legendary, he didn't need to play guitar, piano etc, he could copy all those sound that the real things made:D

Instruments are just a mean to express music, Michael whole body was his instrument.(for some reason when I wrote that Nicole A came to my mind, ref her maintaining her instrument:D)

Also there should be no rules what so ever about how someone wants to express their creativity. If someone wants to compose a song by playing a piano or strumming on a guitar that's fine, and if someone like Michael wants to compose a song by using his own voice then that's also fine. Creativity should be fun and have no rules. Cause once you start putting rules on how to be creative then it just sucks the fun out of it
indeed. proof is in pudding. if anybody ever tried to give impression that Michael didn't create what he created, they lost that battle. we attribute it all to Michael, as vulnerable as some says he looked. he is the best selling artist of all time. that says it all.

Back