Commodores Re-Record "Nightshift" to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passing

booker

Proud Member
Commodores Re-Record "Nightshift" to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passing

Official Press Release: http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Commodores Re-Record Grammy Award Winning “Nightshift” to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passing

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Commodores performed at Wembley Arena in London on June 25, 2009, the night Michael Jackson died. It was a somber experience for the Commodores to hear that news as they walked off the stage. The following night, JD Nicholas substituted the word Michael for Jackie in their performance of their Grammy Award winning song “Nightshift” – that one change brought the audience to their feet. That's where the idea started to re-write the song as a tribute to Michael.

“MICHAEL, he was a friend of mine”

The Commodores and Dennis Lambert (one of the original writers along with Commodores member Walter Orange and Franne Golde) have re-written the lyrics to "Nightshift" and re-recorded it with new lyrics honoring many of the great artists we have lost.

Attached is a copy mp3…We hope that you enjoy it and that radio plays it this Friday in honor of Michael on the one year anniversary of his untimely passing.

Following is an excerpt from the lyrics… Full lyrics are available upon request.

“MICHAEL, he was a friend of mine
For more than forty years, no brighter star did shine
MICHAEL, they call you, “King Of Pop”
But for your gentle soul, the pain would never stop…”

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6337785&lang=en

___

I saw this and I tripped... In the link above there is another link for the MP3 of the song, right click and save as. It's a 192kbps file.

This is an incredible tribute to Michael.

Re: Commodores Re-Record "Nightshift" to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passin

Thank you for sharing. I like the song "Night Shift".

Re: Commodores Re-Record "Nightshift" to Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on Anniversary of His Passin

To listen :

edit: damn that made me cry

Last edited:

:cry: I saw the video of Nightshift from the 80's recently and of course I thought about Michael... but to hear them sing his name... geez... :boohoo: I'm glad they did this. Thanks for posting!

Jaye, thank you for finding this. LOVE, LOVE this song, and hundred times more, now that MJ is a part of it. Have not cried since june 25th. I will be crying all night as i listen to this song over and over. Much thanks to the COMMORDORES. BRILLIANT.!!

THankyou..so crazy I was listening to Nightshift yesterday and thinking they should add a part for michael and I look today and ta da!

Where i can hear it the link dont work

This song is going to make me cry even more than it already has.:no::no:

How can I save the song?
When I click on the Mp4 or Mp3 link, it just opens in media player. If I right click it only saves a 28k file.
Can somebody post it in 2000Watts?

wow i remember when this song first came out, I never thought they would be adding MJ to the song.. luv the song, but man i can feel the tears coming after reading the lyrics about MJ..

I was thinking about the original "Nightshift" song and "Missing You" by diana ross and thought how both songs could appy to MJ now. Glad the commodores did it.

That's beautiful, thanks for posting. In tears here.....

Oh God...

A while back I made a comment on here somewhere about the song reminding me of him and how they should include a verse for him. Now they have! I'll listen to it later.

Thank you Walter 'Clyde' Orange and the current members of the Commodores for rewriting this with MJ in mind. :clapping:

Marty In LA

They made a video for it that shows MJ hanging backstage with them in the 70s. Check it out:

wow that hit me hard

Wow that is beautiful

I've always been a big fan of The Commodores. This was so awesome!

Such a sweet thing to do.

Thank you for sharing this.

OH WOW....the video is fantastic. Thanks so much for posting.

The Commodores - Nightshift 2010 A Tribute To Michael Jackson

Thank you for sharing an thank you to The Commodores.
I remember that song from my childhood, always loved it and hearing it today makes a full magical circle in my life, as Michael's life did. It is something that makes it believable, as living with Michael is what I now consider a fairytale. He was so wonderful, and we had him?We really did have that angel and it was real, it happened. Sometimes I try to really imagine that he still is here and how this knowledge felt, and it just makes me wanna jump up high, spin around, run, hug, kiss, sing, fly. But it only lasts a second.
Deep inside I am aware he is on the other side..and he took my Grandma exactly the year after, may they meet there where there is no pain.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing and thanks to The Commodores. A great song made even better.

jdigga1288 - Thanks for the video.

No problem. Another poster posted the link to the video in another thread and I loved it. So I had to post the link in this one. So the credit goes to them (I'm too lazy to look up who posted it first. :) )

Damn! This song made me cry when I was a little kid....Now this song, just hurts.

But I do like what they did. Bless their hearts. Oh man Michael, you are soooo missed.

Back