Comic Relief - Red Nose Day

thrillerchild

Proud Member
200px-Comic_Relief.svg.png

I will be updating this thread with details and stories relating to Comic Relief and it's flagship fundraising event "Red Nose Day"! Stay tuned for stories, pictures and details of how you can help or follow the latest news to do with this magnificant initiative that started in 1985 here in the UK!

In the meantime here's some pictures from previous!

Spice_Girls-at_a_Red_Nose_Day_photo_010.jpg

ttrnd.jpg

ant-dec-on-red-nose-day-pic-pa-915803965.jpg

Emma_Freud_looks_back_on_25_years_of_Red_Nose_Day.jpg

Comic%2BRelief%2B2011.jpg

p015hqbv.jpg

What We Do

Having fun and changing lives

It’s been 25 years since Red Nose Day first burst onto our screens and this year, once again, the nation is gearing up to put on their Noses, pull out all the stops, and get fundraising
Whether it’s at work, at school or at home, the money you raise is used to transform the lives of countless people, both here at home in the UK and across Africa.<!-- /COLUMN -->

The people you've helped

rwmmaq.jpg

262kv13.jpg

28hjqx4.jpg

<!-- /COLUMN --><!-- /COLUMNSET --><!-- COLUMNSET --><!-- COLUMN -->
How we spend your money

In the UK, you help give shelter to young people living on the streets and protection to those living with domestic abuse. In Africa, your money saves thousands from malaria and provides whole communities with fresh water and life-saving vaccines.

UK Africa Young people & mental health
Women & girls
Young people & alcohol
People living in urban slums
Domestic & sexual abuse
Climate change
Older people
People affected by HIV & AIDS
Young carers
Trade

Find out more at comicrelief.com
<!-- COLUMN -->

Here's one of the promotional videos for this year's Red Nose Day event!

[video=youtube;nlHRq5JPalw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHRq5JPalw&feature=share&list=UUdF5u0ggeSETozc8fsprjcw[/video]

Probably one of the most famous songs to come out of Red Nose Day was this Boyzone

[video=youtube;2JEITy7AA70]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JEITy7AA70[/video]

You can follow all the action and get information by following the Red Nose Day twitter account: @rednoseday

How Red Nose Day Is Helping to Combat Malaria in Africa

- Brenda Blethyn (British Actress)

maryandmartha_l.jpg

When Comic Relief invited me to Uganda for Red Nose Day to meet families affected by malaria, I was worried and scared in equal measures. Worried about how I would cope with hearing from parents who have lost children to this deadly disease, and scared that I too could get bitten by a malaria infected mosquito and fall sick.

I already had an idea of how devastating malaria can be, having recently acted alongside Hilary Swank in Mary and Martha, a film by Richard Curtis which tells the story of two very different women united when their sons die from malaria while in Africa.
Finding strength from each other, these grieving mothers are inspired by their shared loss to begin campaigning to help raise awareness about malaria, a disease that is both preventable and curable yet kills a million people every year, most of them children.

Having made Mary and Martha and watched Red Nose Day films about malaria I thought I was prepared for what I'd see. But the reality of Uganda's malaria epidemic was far worse than I imagined, and all the more heart-breaking because it's so easily remedied.

I visited hospitals and health centres overwhelmed by concerned parents seeking treatment for children desperately ill with malaria. Forced to wait hours in the sweltering midday heat, yet I heard not one complaint because they knew this was the only treatment they would be able to access that could save their child's life.

One such father was Juma, his eyes brimming with tears as he spoke of the previous four days. His seven year old daughter Hajira had fallen sick with malaria. Initially suffering from vomiting, stomach pains and high temperature, Juma had already taken Hajira to three health centres but each time they were told the supplies were not available to treat her.

Eventually traveling over 80 miles to Mbale Hospital, by the time Hajira arrived she was unconscious and in need of lifesaving treatment, including two blood transfusions. Thankfully she survived but her transport and medicine cost more than a month's wages, leaving her family destitute.

I met three year old Alice, who received medicine in the nick of time to save her life. This was Alice's fifth hospital stay for malaria and her mother Louisa - who has already lost two sons to this brutal disease - understood better than most the urgency of getting treatment for her young daughter.

And I heard distressing stories from other mothers, who had experienced the horror of their children dying in their arms while on the way to hospital.

What makes all this even more devastating is how easily these deaths could have been stopped. If people didn't get bitten by infected mosquitos, malaria wouldn't be a problem. A mosquito net is the first step to ending this terrible anguish, a net that costs just £5 protects a mother and child while they sleep.

And when a child has contracted malaria they need immediate medical care or they could die within 48 hours. Just £1.20 can provide a child with access to the vital drugs needed to help them survive long enough to get to a health centre where they can receive lifesaving treatment.

My trip to Uganda was harrowing but I'm glad I went because it gave me the opportunity to bear witness and share the stories of parents and children whose lives are being devastated by this terrible disease. Please don't let their suffering be in vain. By donating money to Red Nose Day you could help Comic Relief provide simple and effective solutions to combat malaria. Please dig deep and help save a child's life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to article **HERE**

To find out more about Red Nose Day please visit rednoseday.com

Celebrities and the public have helped this year's Comic Relief charity telethon raise a record £75m.

Comedian Lenny Henry, a founder of the Red Nose Day fundraiser which is now in its 25th year, kicked off the live show on BBC One.

Music mogul Simon Cowell, singer Jessie J, comedian Peter Kay and boy band One Direction all made appearances.

There were also reinterpretations of hit TV shows the Vicar of Dibley and Call the Midwife.

Lenny Henry opened the show as Red Nose Day celebrated its 25th anniversary
And Ricky Gervais resurrected his David Brent character in a mini-episode of The Office.

David Walliams featured in a sketch alongside the likes of supermodel Kate Moss, footballer Frank Lampard, Hollywood stars Gwyneth Paltrow and Hugh Grant and veteran comedian Ronnie Corbett.

Meanwhile, across the country people dressed up during the day to help raise money for good causes in the UK and Africa.

The television broadcast began at 19:00 GMT, with Henry revealing a special gold Red Nose suit.

He said it had been "25 years of truly incredible fundraising, truly incredible comedy and... truly incredible suits".

Shortly after 01:30 GMT, comedian Russell Brand announced the money raised stood at £75,107,851 - passing 2011's total of £74.3m.

This year's total includes a government pledge to match the £16m Comic Relief has committed to help more than half a million of the poorest women and girls in Africa.

It will go on improving literacy, helping girls go to school, provide care for expectant mothers, help women farmers, promote women's rights and be used to help reduce violence and harmful traditional practices against women and girls, such as genital mutilation.

The government had previously said it would give Comic Relief the equivalent of whatever VAT is paid on sales of the official Red Nose Day single.

Meanwhile, a Berkshire MP is donating £14,268 to Comic Relief after posting a Twitter message saying she would pledge £1 to the charity for every retweet.

Fiona MacTaggart, Labour MP for Slough, later posted that she had "no regrets" despite being "Twitter naive".

During Friday night's show, One Direction performed the single, a cover version medley of Blondie's One Way Or Another and the Undertones' Teenage Kicks, on the show.

French and Saunders threatened to hoover DJ Ken Bruce's head
Hosts on stage included Dermot O'Leary, Claudia Winkleman and Jonathan Ross. Former Doctor Who actor David Tennant and footballer David Beckham were among those to appeal to the public to make donations.

And singer Jessie J made good on a long-standing pledge to shave her head for charity.

Earlier, two of the UK's biggest comedy names, Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, popped up on BBC Radio 2.

They prepared for their stint by familiarising themselves with the station's schedule and presenters.

It saw them interrupt Ken Bruce's live show and "threaten him" with a vacuum cleaner.

Celebrities including Dara O Briain, Melanie C, Jack Dee and Greg James took on the five-day Hell and High Water challenge, travelling down the 100km Zambezi River to raise £1m for children in Zambia.

The group appeared on the telethon to tell viewers about their experiences in Africa.

Others to help out included Miranda Hart, who completed a "Mad March" challenge each day this week in different cities across England.

She also organised a real-life wedding ceremony in a matter of hours for Claire Gilchrist, 26, and Ben Springett, 28, at Old Marylebone Town Hall in central London - she only found out on the morning that she had to do it.

After the ceremony, she said: "The pressure was on but it was about Claire and Ben. I was determined to do the best I could so I got Michael Ball and the McFly boys and all these surprises for them to add to the occasion. I'm so thrilled."

Miranda's Mad March saw Hart complete a series of challenges in different cities across England
Kay took on what he called the "toughest challenge ever undertaken for Red Nose Day" - forcing himself to sit down for practically a whole week.

Kay's challenge was shown during the live show, with the comedian making a triumphant arrival at BBC Television Centre.

There was also an appearance by James Corden, who reprised his role as Smithy from Gavin and Stacey.

Highlights from Mark Watson's recent 25-hour stand-up gig and Graham Norton's Big Chat talk show marathon were shown.

US funny man Will Ferrell appeared as San Diego "anchorman" Ron Burgundy in a one-off specially-recorded sketch.

First lot of pictures from the night. More will follow in the next few days!

British singer Jessie J had a long standing dare to shave her head, she kept that promise!
6BFD7CC9-0628-4310-978B-6B1B9D21D1E1-2822-000002DA2039CE45.jpg

097DAC8A-95B2-4EBE-A49B-8FED0CA96572-2822-000002DA1AC1C2F2.jpg

FDC9A043-1490-4B88-B5B2-F99D335CBED5-2822-000002DA13F48E9F.jpg

Back