Come Together.....BAD Outtake?

RIP_2009

Proud Member
Is the beatles cover a BAD outtake or was it perhap recorded after BAD album came out?
It has a BAD "feeling" to it IMO
Also has the complete version first released in early 90s on "remember the time" cd single
been remastered and used on any compilation disc last 5 years or so?

It's in moonwalker, it's almost guaranteed to have been recorded in the BAD sessions, the snare drum is way to heavy for anything pre BAD era, and it also times in with when he bought the rights to the catalogue. I dunno weather it was ever recorded with the BAD album in mind though, or straight for moonwalker.

I'm not sure, but that's a good question. I'd like Joe Vogel or someone else to do a "sessionology" book, dating all of Michael's recording sessions and what was recorded.

Come Together was recorded in 1985 (as a demo only). It's exactly this demo that's released on RTT single / DWT souvenir singles box / HIStory album

Last edited:
Come Together was recorded in 1985 (as a demo only). It's exactly this demo that's released on RTT single / DWT souvenir singles box / HIStory album

Come Together is not a demo. It is a studio recording. It was recorded in 1988 with producer Bill Botrell. Come Together was originally intended for Days of Thunder soundtrack starring Tom Cruise. The song was then scheduled for release on Decade album in 1989 and 1990 but that album was never released. Uncut Studio Version was finally released on Remember The Time single in 1992. Cut Studio Version, digitally remastered was released on HIStory - Past, Present And Future - Book I album in 1995.

I would say that Come Together is not Bad outtake because it was never considered for the album, but it is a song from Bad Era.

He also recorded a cover of another Beatles song Strawberry Fields Forever around the same time in 1988.

Last edited:
Come Together is not a demo. It is a studio recording. It was recorded in 1988 with producer Bill Botrell. Come Together was originally intended for Days of Thunder soundtrack starring Tom Cruise. The song was then scheduled for release on Decade album in 1989 and 1990 but that album was never released. Uncut Studio Version was finally released on Remember The Time single in 1992. Cut Studio Version, digitally remastered was released on HIStory - Past, Present And Future - Book I album in 1995.

I would say that Come Together is not Bad outtake because it was never considered for the album, but it is a song from Bad Era.

He also recorded a cover of another Beatles song Strawberry Fields Forever around the same time in 1988.

Come Together is a demo!!
Bill Bottrell:

During the Bad sessions, Michael asked me to drive him home to Westwood one night. During the drive, we played lots of Beatles songs he had compiled on a tape, he was pretty interested in my opinion, and I told him we should pick Come Together. Within a couple days I had thrown a track together playing guitars and using some crude midi stuff. (This was 1985) I never intended that track to be released that way.
(...)
Here is why I'm shocked that some of my roughs have been released: There was a process that I learned well, that any MJ release went through: a process of vetting, re-thinking, replacing midi with live players, etc. It was a long process. "Streetwalker" never did that. Nor did "Come Together".

source:http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...-worked-michael-jacksons-dangerous-album.html

btw, there's no proof that MJ had ever recorded "Strawberry Fields". The article in the last issue of B&W magazine was a hoax!

Last edited:
Come Together is a demo!!

btw, there's no proof that MJ had ever recorded "Strawberry Fields". The article in the last issue of B&W magazine was a hoax!

Vocals are not demo vocals recorded in a home studio. That's for sure.

Sorry but I dont buy that "Come Together" is a demo recording.
To me a demo is a tryout version that has some faults like not final lyrics
or the vocal part isnt good enough.
Michael would never allowed a demo to be released commersially.....not in the 80s/early 90s
when everything he did had to be perfect.
IF this is indeed a demo then the word demo is almost useless in the world of michael recordings....

MJ would NEVER release Come Together on HIStory in a demo shape!

He was a true perfectionist - so no doubt he made it perfect for the HIStory release!

It's strange that the interview that Michael did with Adrian Grant, which is on the Making HIStory book, gives the impression that "Come Together" was recorded at the time of History sessions.:

ADRIAN: Why did you include your cover of the Beatles song Come Together on the HIStory album?

MICHAEL: I was coming home from church and my engineer was fooling around with that song, which I hadn't asked him to do, but when I heard it I said 'WOW! This is my favorite Beatles song.' So I just went in and in one take started singing it. We kept it kinda raw and funky. It was just spontaneous, but I knew I wanted to do something with it.

I think Come together is one of those songs that Michael always loved and wanted to do something with, but couldn't find the right place for.

I would call it bad era, but not bad material. Hence the choice of including it on moonwalker, he really liked the song and wanted to do something with it - the "Live performance" on moonwalker being a great spot to get it out there.
As dangerous envolved it didn't fit the flavour of the album, but still loving this song it ended up as a b-side for remember the times. at HIStory it finally found a place to be, but I still think he never really got it to the attention he wanted it. HIStory being half artistic half personal album.

Back