CNN Poll: Majority of Americans are Michael Jackson Fans

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member
Poll: Majority of Americans are Michael Jackson fans

• Story Highlights Fifty-one percent of people questioned in a national poll say they are Jackson fans
    Most young people say they are fans, but a majority of Americans over 50 don't
  • The poll indicates a majority of whites say they aren't Michael Jackson fans

document.write(cnnRenderTimeStamp(1246618287621,['July 3, 2009 -- Updated 1051 GMT (1851 HKT)','updated 6:51 a.m. EDT, Fri July 3, 2009']));updated 4 hours, 7 minutes ago

• WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Roughly half of all Americans say they are fans of Michael Jackson -- but there are big gender and generation gaps when it comes to the king of pop, according to a new national poll.

art.jackson1.gi.jpg
Fifty-one percent of people questioned in a national survey describe themselves as Michael Jackson fans.

corner_wire_BL.gif

Fifty-one percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Friday morning describe themselves Jackson fans, with 49 percent saying they are not fans.
"Most women say they are fans of Michael Jackson; most men do not. Most young people say they are Jackson fans, but a majority of Americans over 50 don't," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.
"Older Americans didn't 'get' Michael Jackson. They were probably offended by his defiance of cultural norms. Younger people got him," says CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider.
The poll indicates a majority of whites say they aren't Michael Jackson fans; three-quarters of non-white respondents, which includes African-Americans, Hispanics, and Asians, say they were fans of the singer.
The survey suggests there's a partisan difference as well.

"Democrats are fans of the deceased singer; Republicans are not -- but since women, young people and minorities are more likely to be Democrats, the difference between Democrats and Republicans on Michael Jackson is probably due mostly to the demographic differences between the parties," adds Holland.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted June 26-28, in the days immediately after Jackson's death, with 1,026 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/07/03/us.jackson.poll/index.html

Doesn't surprise me considering the USA's history of racism. Old habits die hard.

Oh, what a shock!!!!

I mean, what a shock!

I'm so surprised.

And oh look, it's a poll. Polls never lie. 75% of all sheep love polls.

[sarcasm is intended]

...They can take their poll and shove it up their corporate a**es.

It's pretty rare that half of the country is a fan of one person. The top stars of today don't have that kind of support. Awesome.

I'm not surprised about the demographics at all.

Also, are you guys going to be cynical about everything good you hear pertaining to MJ's legacy from now on? So cool.

Oh, what a shock!!!!

I mean, what a shock!

I'm so surprised.

And oh look, it's a poll. Polls never lie. 75% of all sheep love polls.

[sarcasm is intended]

...They can take their poll and shove it up their corporate a**es.

hahahah i agree with you.

you should have seen the memorials here in Detroit. we set it off. There were so many people it was unbelievable. and trust me there were people over fifty there. heck i think over half the city was there. The streets were empty freeways had very low traffic. I don't believe those reports. nope nada no way

Here's the real question...before or after his death?

Thank you for these words you wrote what I was thinking. I am from the US and even I dont believe this pole. I however have been a Michael fan since I was 12 and I am now 42. I am grieving horribly along with the rest of you. I also know others from the US that absolutely are grieving the death of Michael. I wonder all of the people who will be attending the memorial service on Tuesday are actual fans or they just want to be a part of history> Food for though huh?

yeah thats so true. I thought about that as well. but none the less as long as there positive then I can respect them paying respects to him. As long as they don't get out of line. lol
I mean in the passed couple of days I've been in three arguments and one fight over him. (and I won) lol Now I'm not justify fighting ok I'm not saying it's right. BUT they had it coming. I mean I'm clearly hurting and people want to talk and test me, it iritating. I wont say what they said because it would tee you off to, but lets just say they deserved what they got.

These polls are dumb....Plus, like I said before- I didn't take the poll and neither did ANYONE i know of!

Over 50s dont get Michael or arent fans??? Try telling my mum that and her generation.

Polls are pointless

There is one aspect of this poll that has popped up in another poll I saw. People were asked on an MSNBC poll if they thought Michael was getting too much media coverage. Whites overwhelmingly voted yes while other ethnic groups voted that he is getting just about the right amount of media attention. I don't have a link, but I definitely saw it on MSNBC on that Doctor's show.

Over 50s dont get Michael or arent fans??? Try telling my mum that and her generation.

Polls are pointless

Yeah I don't believe that. Michael has plenty of fans who are 50+. I mean these people grew up with Michael, he has fans of every generation. When I've been at the memorials for MJ here in NY, yes I saw a lot of younger people, but I saw older people well. I've seen quite a few people who were in their 60's, 70's,etc. as well so it's just silly to say older people do not "get MJ". That's just not true.

the media are the ones who said america wasnt, another example of us being told what to do and say and in this case who we like, utopia life that Michael was an escape from. he was real thats why people have loved him forever.

The thing about these polls is that they're always generalized and don't take every single person into account. And obviously most people didn't even vote. But still, assuming that millions of people did vote, it's a pretty damn good number.

polls are twisted. after seeing the seas of people flocking him day and night..the polls dont really make a difference. there have been plenty of white women showing fanship(i know of one, personally), republicans, older people, etc.

i don't know what the purpose of putting politics in their poll, really was. i guess they are cnn..and they're going to do that. we already knew the majority of americans and the world were MJ fans. and yes...racism always will be big in america. but there were enough multicultures loving MJ to make that irrelevant.

the only thing that cnn is willing to admit that they didn't before his passing is that the majority of americans are MJ fans. and i don't think they become fans after his death. i've seen enough haters be glad of his death, to make that irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back