Clint Eastwood To Quit Acting For Director's Chair

Victory2004

Proud Member
Clint Eastwood: Riding off into the sunset
11/04/08
Posted under Movies, Clint Eastwood

By Clarence Yu

JUST as mysteriously as he came into the American movie industry as “The Man With No Name” in his “Spaghetti Western” trilogy and as Dirty Harry in the landmark cop drama “Dirty Harry,” reports have been leaking over the Internet that his latest starrer, “Gran Torino” (originally thought as a last sequel to the Dirty Harry franchise) would be his last film as an actor. Might I mention again that word, actor.

I found this official trailer for “Gran Torino” on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teLeXZ3XMU

For Eastwood has, in his storied career spanning over 40 years, been not only an actor, but a director who has had to work his way up the ladder for recognition, culminating with his Oscar wins in 1992 as Best Director for “Unforgiven,” and in 2004 for “Million Dollar Baby.”

Once dismissed as a “lazy” actor, most of us now know better that Eastwood’s technique is minimalist in nature, using gesture instead of words to convey meaning. And being lumped in with Charles Bronson and Burt Reynolds did not exactly help, but Eastwood eventually proved critics and fans alike wrong. As one of my personal heroes and directors/actors, the notion that Eastwood, at the ripe young age of 78, would be retiring from acting is quite sad. He still has the presence and capability to act, and a physique that tells you instantly that he could probably beat you up with his fingers even if you were a third of his age.

Anyhow, Eastwood has just recently completed filming two films up for possible Oscar contention next year: “The Changeling” as director, starring Angelina Jolie, and the above mentioned “Gran Torino.” Although I have been wrong many times, I think Eastwood rightly deserves recognition as an Actor.

The film is described as the story of “Walt Kowalski, an iron-willed veteran living in a changing world, who is forced by his immigrant neighbors to confront his own long-held prejudices.”

I’m personally hoping that he gets Academy recognition for this film, due out in the United States this December. Whatever the case, I do hope that if does ride into the sunset, he does it with the same grace in which he rode in. http://blogs.inquirer.net/couchpotatoes/2008/11/04/clint-eastwood-riding-off-into-the-sunset/

The Beguiled is one of my all time favorite movies. Play Misty For Me is great also.

Clint Eastwood has to play the Big Boss, he so fits that role

Oh I love Clint Eastwood
he is so talented as a director and actor
It would be so great for him to get recognition as an actor

Clint Eastwood is very talented, I'm sure he'll do just as great at directing as he has at acting.

Back