Christmas/Holiday Season News Thread

mariemarie

Guests
Hey everyone. From today and to January 4th all our daily news will be put in here. Feel free to put all news worthy articles in this thread that don't necessarily need their own. Check back for more updates and watch this space! Wishing everyone a peaceful and wonderful Christmas. Take care of you :)

jackson-five-snowman.jpg

Michael Jackson's Brothers React To His 'MTV News' Man of the Year' Honor

'You made the right choice, definitely,' Jermaine Jackson says.

On Friday (December 18), MTV News named Michael Jackson the Man of the Year, and not just because his death was the biggest story of 2009. In passing, he reminded us all of his formidable legacy — as a musician, a showman and a cultural icon. He revolutionized the world of music videos, wowed fans around the world and, somewhere along the way, helped a fledgling cable channel called MTV to establish a foothold in the world.
And for all those reasons — not to mention a few more — Jackson's surviving brothers think MTV News made the right call.

"I think it's great, because Mike was a pioneer," Jermaine Jackson said. "I really feel he put MTV on the map because of his contributions to music. You made the right choice, definitely."

Marlon Jackson agreed, though he added that Michael should also be remembered for something else — his charitable work, most of which he did not participate in because he knew it would earn him headlines, but because it was simply the right thing to do.

"There are so many other things too. Michael and the brothers, when we were the Jackson 5, used to go to children's hospitals, and that hasn't stopped," Marlon said. "And a lot of people didn't know about all the different charities he paid for — a lot of celebrities, when they had passed and could not afford to bury themselves, he would pay for it. The Lord puts you in the position to help others, and that's part of helping others."

http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=23245

Michael Jackson T-shirt, seen in Beat It video, on auction, sale expected for $25,000

THIS T-shirt is worn, stained and has a few holes, but auctioneers are still hoping it will sell for up to $25,000.

Worn by Michael Jackson in the 1980s video of Beat It, it is part of an auction of memorabilia of the late king of pop in Los Angeles today.
The sleeveless shirt, depicting cherubs and a heart, was given to Bradley Bennett, then 11, in 1983 after Jackson befriended him at the Jehovah's Witness Congregation in the San Fernando Valley.

Bradley visited Jackson several times at the singer's home in Encino and the youngster wore the T-shirt with pride when Jackson gave it to him just after the release of Beat It, the third single from the Thriller album.
The Beat It video showcased Jackson's innovative "mass choreography" where he wears the T-shirt.

Other items at the Bonhams and Butterfields auction include a rug featuring Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley, which was given as a wedding gift to the couple in 1994.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...pected-for-25000/story-e6frf9hf-1225812421870

Today in
Michael Jackson History[/center]

1987 - Janet Jackson's "Control - The Videos" was certified Gold by the RIAA.

1993 - Michael Jackson responded publicly to child-sex abuse allegations for the first time. Jackson held a four-minute live satellite broadcast from Neverland Valley in which he denied everything.

michael_jackson-king-of-pop.jpg

New Beyonce track samples MJ's DSTYGE

Beyonce is currently prepping to finish her tour and release a new LP in 2010. Meanwhile, a new song from Billboard’s female artist of the decade has surfaced. There is no word on whether this Michael Jackson ‘Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough’ sample from her recent studio sessions or a previously unreleased track from her other projects.
This record is a fun 70’s throwback that depicts Beyonce using a lot more restraint than she has done in recent times. Her voice easily glides over the Quincy Jones-produced melody without overpowering or underwhelming the listener. If this is similar to the organic sound that Beyonce is trying to capture on her next ‘Indie-inspired’ album, then I am all ears.

www.thatgrapejuice.net

x4.gif
x13.gif

PRE-ORDER ‘THIS IS IT’ DVD WITH STEELBOOK CASE
22nd December 2009
Fans who pre-order Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' on DVD and Blu-Ray from US electronics retailer Best Buy can now get an exclusive Steelbook Case. Best Buy retail stores are now stocking the Steelbook Cases which serve as a $5 deposit toward the final purchase of the DVD or Blu-Ray movie. The cases list the following instructions:
Step 1: Pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray Steelbook Case and present it to any cashier between 11/30/2009 and 1/25/2010.
Step 2: Pay the $5 deposit toward purchase price of the 'This Is It' DVD or Blu-Ray and obtain original receipt for verification.
Step 3: Retain your receipt for verifying your paid deposit. To obtain credit for the deposit, your receipt must be presented when picking up your 'This Is It' DVD or Blu-Ray.
Step 4: Return to store where deposit was made, between 1/26/2010 and 2/9/2010. Proceed to the customer service desk with the 'This Is It' DVD or Blu-Ray and present cashier with your deposit receipt. Pay the existing balance due and take your DVD or Blu-Ray discs home to enjoy!
Click on the link below to order your exclusive copy now:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/64d53;www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat198500050013&type=category
Source: Best Buy
---------------------------------------------
CLASSIC JACKSON 5 ALBUMS RETURN TO CD & VINYL
19th December 2009
After being out of print individually in any format for many years, six of the phenomenal Jackson 5's original albums will be reissued on CD and vinyl, while all four of Michael's solo '70s Motown albums are being reissued on vinyl by Motown/UMe on January 5, 2010.
With this year marking the 40th anniversary of the debut of the Jackson 5, the recent release of I Want You Back! Unreleased Masters, an acclaimed 12-track album of previously unheard Jackson 5 material, and the Jacksons' new A&E series, The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty, which offers unprecedented access to the personal and professional lives of Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon, the world has once again turned its attention to the brothers from Gary, Indiana.
The newly remastered Jackson 5 albums returning to CD, with their restored original artwork, are:
• Goin' Back To Indiana: Soundtrack to their 1971 TV special features excerpts from a triumphant homecoming concert; includes bonus track "Who's Lovin' You"
• Lookin' Through The Windows: 1972 album spun off the Top 10 hits "Little Bitty Pretty One" and the title track; includes bonus track "Love Song," a non-LP B-side
• Skywriter: Underrated 1973 gem with the hits "Corner Of The Sky" and "Hallelujah Day"
• Get It Together: Seamless and super-funky, this 1973 album boasts the No.
1 "Dancing Machine" and the title track.
• Dancing Machine: Highlighted by the single version of "Dancing Machine," this 1974 album also includes "Whatever You Got, I Want" and two-part hit "I Am Love."
• Moving Violation: A classic of the early disco underground, this 1975 album featured the No. 1 Dance/Disco chart hit "Forever Came Today"; reissue adds an alternate mix of that track. The last original album Jackson 5 album on Motown.
The LPs, imported from the U.K., are presented in their original 12x12 size. The vinyl albums from Michael Jackson are:
• Got To Be There: MJ's 1972 solo debut LP features the title track and "Rockin' Robin" and the Top 20 "I Wanna Be Where You Are."
• Ben: His second straight solo smash, featuring the title track, his first solo Pop No 1
• Music And Me: A ballad-heavy album from a maturing Michael, this 1973 disc includes the Top 20 R&B "With A Child's Heart"
• Forever, Michael: From 1975, Michael's final solo album for Motown, featuring the Top 10 R&B dance classics "Just A Little Bit Of You" and "We're Almost There."
The vinyl editions of Jackson 5 albums, also imported, are Goin' Back To Indiana, Lookin' Through The Windows, Get It Together and:
• Third Album: In 1970, their first ballad, "I'll Be There," became the group's and Motown's biggest Pop hit ever, No 1 for five weeks (also No 1 R&B). "Mama's Pearl" reached No 2 R&B/No 2 Pop. (ABC, their smash second LP, is already available on vinyl.)
• Maybe Tomorrow: This 1971 album contains some of the most-sampled and covered material in the group's catalog, including the title track and the No 1 R&B/No 2 Pop "Never Can Say Goodbye."
Source: http://www.facebook.com/l/64d53;top40-charts.com
------------------------------------------------------
WATCH THE ‘THIS IS IT’ DVD TRAILER
18th December 2009
On January 26, 2010 in North America and on February 22 in the UK and Europe, Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray. An official trailer for the release of the DVD was launched online yesterday.
Click on the link below to view the trailer:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/64d53;www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5D5EbNUDFQ&feature=player_embedded
Source: http://www.facebook.com/l/64d53;twitter.com/thisisitmovie

Mentionings for December 24, 2009 - Everyone have a great Christmas eve!

------------
L.A. County coroner's office roiled by leaks in Brittany Murphy, Michael Jackson cases

The L.A. County coroner's office is under scrutiny again after confidential information about a celebrity's death was leaked.

The latest case involves the sudden death on Sunday of "Clueless" star Brittany Murphy. TMZ.com has published details about prescription drugs that the coroner's office found in her home.

Coroner's officials said that they don't know how the information was leaked to TMZ, but that they were angry about it and vowed to investigate.

"The Los Angeles County Department of Coroner is aware of the information that has appeared in the news today regarding its inquiry into the cause and manner of death of Ms. Murphy,'' the office said in a statement. "The inquiry into the death is ongoing, and it is the policy and practice of the Department of Coroner to only release detailed information in cases where the final cause of death has been determined and the case investigation has been completed and closed by the deputy medical examiner."

This is the second time in less than a year in which the coroner's office has dealt with a high-profile leak. This summer, a Los Angeles County sheriff’s investigators looked into whether coroner’s employees illegally leaked or sold private information from Michael Jackson’s death investigation.

After interviewing coroner’s staff members and consulting with the district attorney’s office, investigators from the sheriff’s internal criminal investigations bureau determined that no criminal violations occurred.
County supervisors called for the Jackson inquiry July 25 after The Times reported that the pop star’s death certificate had been viewed more than 300 times, including by half a dozen coroner’s employees not involved in the investigation.

Officials said employees who inappropriately viewed Jackson’s records were warned -- the proper discipline, according to county civil services rules.

-- Shelby Grad

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...in-brittany-murphy-michael-jackson-cases.html

-----------------------------------------

An now for something very cute...and different!

2739.jpg

Michael Quackson

Meet Michael Quackson, the latest addition to our range of glow in the dark bath ducks. Just fill your tub, put on your favourite Michael Jackson album and let Michael Quackson impress you with his moves as he bobs in the bubbles.
A fitting tribute to the King of Pop, and sure to be a best seller this Christmas!

http://www.totally-funky.co.uk/Pages/ProductView.aspx?ID=2771&SID=638

New Beyonce track samples MJ's DSTYGE

Beyonce is currently prepping to finish her tour and release a new LP in 2010. Meanwhile, a new song from Billboard’s female artist of the decade has surfaced. There is no word on whether this Michael Jackson ‘Don’t Stop ’til You Get Enough’ sample from her recent studio sessions or a previously unreleased track from her other projects.
This record is a fun 70’s throwback that depicts Beyonce using a lot more restraint than she has done in recent times. Her voice easily glides over the Quincy Jones-produced melody without overpowering or underwhelming the listener. If this is similar to the organic sound that Beyonce is trying to capture on her next ‘Indie-inspired’ album, then I am all ears.

www.thatgrapejuice.net

What the heck? Michael frickin composed DSTYGE! Not Quincy! F that!

happy-holidays.jpg

AN ARTICLE EVERYONE SHOULD READ
17th December 2009
After watching Michael Jackson’s ‘This Is It’ award winning writer Rev. Barbara Kaufmann posted her thoughts about the film on her online blog. This was seen by an editor for Nature’s Pathways magazine, who contacted Kaufmann and asked her to write a follow up guest column in their December 2009 issue. The full text of Barbara Kaufmann’s article The Man and the Mirror: A Tribute to Michael Jackson and ‘This Is It’ can be read below:
Michael Jackson was a world messenger with a spiritual message — make a change; make the world a better place. This Is It, the film about his planned comeback concert, features Michael living his mission not only in what he is saying, but in who he is being. It features a man whose artistry and talent was too forceful for him to contain and too big to hide, someone who was ahead of his time and anything but understood. The film is a kind of event horizon — the place where the creative process leaves the creator’s mind, meets imagination and emerges in birth. The world’s biggest mega-star, lost in the act of creation, artfully wields his incredible talent in the spirit of politicians spending political capital. It is clear Michael Jackson was called; his work was a calling. There is no turning away from a calling for it will hound and haunt until expressed. This Is It was stirring and inspiring and begged the answer to what compelled him to step up and into a life mission that was anything but easy?
While I liked Michael Jackson, I can’t say that I ever met the definition of fan. I didn’t pay close attention to his career; maybe I should have. Much of my own work as an artist, messenger and writer has been about embracing the spiritual — with empathic impulse, evocative emotion to change the world and make it a better place with words. I recognize that impulse of calling. With Michael it was more than impulse — it was Force. It is there to see for anyone watching Michael in his last performance.
I left the theater a believer; there is more to this man called Michael. The movie dashed any of my doubts about his character, personality or creative process. The filming was intended for Michael’s private library, and that made me a voyeur, disturbing because he is gone now. But I am richer for that stealth and for the process bequeathed me now by Michael. I revisited accusations, slurs; the vitriolic tabloid insults that impaled Michael Jackson for years and, despite being proven not guilty, impale him still, even beyond death. Was he a master at commanding attention? Yes. Was he capable of what some accused him of? If you want an answer, ask silently in your heart and go see the movie.
I met the Michael in the music more than the music in Michael. I watched a master of transcendentalism building a meditation in magic. I saw Michael in the role of artist, leader, teacher, master and guru. I saw his infinite patience and I didn’t miss his kindness in dealing with his musicians, dancers, singers and crew, his long breaths of tolerance toward solicitous blather designed to impress. Stunned by his allegiance to the brutal taskmaster of message, I even glimpsed his vision. I admired his translation, his explosive embodiment of the music in motion, emotion, majesty and metaphor. I know the man’s soul.
What drove Michael? What kept him loyal to his message through some of the most laser focused unkindness, betrayal and ridicule I have ever witnessed in the world? What sustained him? What did he tap into? The film reveals his source when Michael, knowing he is rehearsing, holds back from performing full out, and you get a feel for the tide he is stemming. Watching his body move because it can’t NOT move, the light dawns. Whatever it was, it didn’t come from Michael; it came through him.
His talent painted feelings, conveyed sensation, became a portal for the vision of what is possible if we all just recognize what drives us, breathes us, what gives us life and being.
Michael was obviously an empath. When Michael felt, it was acutely, exquisitely. He may have been synesthesic as well processing through more than one sensory neural channel at a time: “and the pain is thunder.” Maybe Michael Jackson was following light that we couldn’t see, music that we couldn’t hear, and feelings that we couldn’t access and perhaps simultaneously. Michael’s lyrics are prayer.
Synesthesia may even explain his grounding of the music in his body in the lower chakras (energy centers), as that is where the seat of emotion lives.
Michael said dancing brought him in touch with the Divine impulse. That is not the first time the world has heard of that phenomena - Kundalini, spiritual energy that ascends the backbone to the brain, originates in the lower groin area; Sufis and dervishes whirl to create a vortex for spiritual energy: indigenous cultures use drumbeat and dance.
Michael’s Man in the Mirror is a Gandhi-esque message to be the change you wish to see in the world. I “got it” courtesy of Michael: about the mirror; about shadow; about reflection of self in the world. We see in the world as who we are being. For some, Michael was their everything, for others he would never be enough. And still others will see the reflection of their own darkness. Michael Jackson embodied Light, Shadow, Bright Shadow, the Divine Feminine, the aggressive masculine and androgyny.
He was born into a world too far gone from innocence to embrace it; too distant from naiveté to tolerate it in an adult; too cynical to believe Michael’s own words; too tainted to embrace the sensitive Peter Pan man who understood too well the world’s intolerance to blemish - he wore it in his face. How did he live in a world where dark minds made him things that he never was and couldn’t imagine? How did he show up for life ... in a world with so much shadow? When that shadow turned on him? How did Michael never give up on the world? On us? And how is it that Michael was coming back to try one last time saying This Is It? Is the irony of that clear enough?
Who now will be our planetary human cheerleader? Our global humanitarian? Who among us can amass millions to catch the vision and carry it forward? Who now in our world is capable of that? This is it? See the movie and then tune to your inner Michael. Whatever you thought about Michael Jackson is correct because it is more about who you are being than it is about Michael because he wasn’t just the man in the mirror, he was the mirror.
Barbara Kaufmann is an award winning writer, artist and poet whose passion is “writing to simply change the world.”
Click on the link below to read more of her thoughts about Michael Jackson and more:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www.onewordsmith.com
Source: Nature’s Pathways
----------------------------------------------
VOTE MJ FOR THE 100 BEST MSG: TOP 20
17th December 2009
Round 3 of the 100 Best: The Greatest Madison Square Garden Shows of All Time started today! Michael Jackson appears twice on the list for his 1988 BAD Tour concert and his 2001 30th Anniversary Shows. The other selections include concerts held at MSG during 1970 up through the 2000's from artists like Elvis Presley, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion and Mariah Carey.
In Round Two of The Greatest Madison Square Garden Shows of All Time Michael Jackson took first place (62.6%) for the 1980s and first place (86.4%) for the 2000s!
Keep voting for Michael in Round 3!!! Fans can vote once per day. The poll closes Wednesday, January 7, 2010 at noon. The top 10 concerts will face off in the final poll, which opens Thursday, January 8 at noon.
Click on the link below to vote for Michael:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;msg.com/photos/100-best-madison-square-garden-shows-top-20/slide/1/
Source: http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;MSG.com
-------------------------------------------------------
HISTORY HEADLINES
ALLEGED MJ LOVECHILD WON’T ACCEPT REJECTION
1st December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www.tmz.com/2009/12/01/alleged-mj-lovechild-wont-accept-rejection/
Source: TMZ

ANOTHER CLAIM!
8th December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www...reditors-claim-las-vegas-home-damages-damage/

MICHAEL JACKSON BUSINESS SUES PHONE BOOK
10th December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www...nse-licensing-copyright-infringement-lawsuit/

NONA LOSES HER BID
11th December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www...n-loses-bid-to-fight-for-jackson-cash_1125357
Source: Contactmusic

MJ’S EXECUTOR’S SEEK PAYMENT
15th December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www...ministrator-john-branca-john-mcclain-probate/

JACKSON EXECUTORS – BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY
17th December 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/eb048;www...e-jackson-probate-special-administrator-fees/

That "article" above in Rockstar's thread, written by Rev. Barbara Kaufmann, is one of the best I've ever read. Beautifully said and sums up what I find to be the ultimate truth r/t Michael.

That article by Rev. Barbara Kaufman is the damn truth!

It just seems to me that ever since Michael's passing, its as though who Michael wa to this world and the people of the world can no longer be denied. He was'nt just a musical artist, he was a musical messenger with a message to deliver and he did that so well despite being hindered on so many occasions.

Our little energizer bunny MJ kept going and going and I'm sure it won't stop!

News today on december 26th 2009

MEET THE OPUS COVER ARTIST
13th December 2009
The figurative-style silhouette dancing across a red background is immediately recognizable as Michael Jackson. The artwork on the cover an international tribute to the King of Pop was drawn by Nate Giorgio of Vestal, NY (USA) who often found himself in Michael Jackson's inner circle during a 25-year collaboration that documented the pop icon's career in art.
"It's a drawing I did for the book," said Giorgio, 48, whose parents still live in Vestal. "It's a simple drawing, but it captures the essence of him." The leather-bound book, "The Official Michael Jackson OPUS," released on December 7, 2009. About a dozen of Giorgio's drawings and paintings of Jackson are included in the book, as well as various illustrations.
In time, Giorgio expects the 404-page book -- which measures 13 by 18 inches and weighs 38 pounds -- to become the definitive tribute to the legendary singer. The book is the only tribute officially endorsed by Jackson's estate after the singer's death. Besides a dozen full-page drawings of Michael Jackson, Giorgio also contributed some personal letters to the book. In particular, Giorgio recalled a handwritten thank-you note after he had called the singer to express concern when Michael Jackson was sick.
"He just said he appreciated my call; he was that kind of guy," said Giorgio, who last saw Michael Jackson about a month before the singer died June 25. "I wish the public could have seen that side of him."
The book has contributions from others who knew Michael Jackson, including Motown founder Berry Gordy, Paula Abdul, Smokey Robinson and Quincy Jones.
"We're really proud that his drawing is on the cover," said Neil Giorgio, Nate's father and a retired Security Mutual Insurance employee who lives in Vestal. "This is a big deal."
The younger Giorgio's association with Jackson began in the 1980s when the singer took a liking to the local artist's work. The then-fledgling artist had mailed some portraits to the singer while still living in Vestal. Michael Jackson invited Giorgio to his home in California to talk and do artwork Gradually, Giorgio earned Michael Jackson's confidence as an artist and friend. Through the years, Michael Jackson commissioned Giorgio to do artwork, including paintings, posters and illustrations for the book "Dancing the Dream." Some of Giorgio's artwork was displayed at the Neverland ranch.
In the past several weeks, Giorgio has been interviewed by national media outlets about Michael Jackson and the tribute book. In one interview, Giorgio recalled Michael Jackson asking him to do a "Superhero" painting based on a Superman drawing. The handwritten note and the drawing are included in the OPUS book.
When the singer died, he and Giorgio were working on murals Michael Jackson wanted of himself and his children walking through a forest.
It is still not too late for you to purchase The Official Michael Jackson Opus.
Click on the link below to purchase your copy now:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www.krakenopus.com/family/michaeljackson/
Source: MJ-Upbeat / Binghamton Press
------------------------------------------------
HISTORY HEADLINES
MICHAEL’S 3D IMAGES
12th November 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www...0/Michael-Jackson-to-perform-again-in-3D.html
Source: Telegraph

‘THIS IS IT’ TRIBUTE ON GEORGE LOPEZ SHOW
12th November 2009
Click on the link below to watch Michael Bearden’s interview and Judith Hill’s tribute:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYe_e2wsOOw&feature=related
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RiEBZQU5Ys
Source: Lopez Tonight

‘THIS IS IT’ GUITARIST ORIANTHI DOES MJ COVER
14th November 2009
While in Austin, Texas at a local radio show performance, ‘This Is It’ guitarist Orianthi chose to perform a cover of Michael Jackson's 'Give In To Me'.
Orianthi’s latest album ‘Believe’ is in stores now.
Click on the link below to follow Orianthi on Twitter:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;twitter.com/orianthi
Click on the link below to watch her performance:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW0hJekljO8
Source: Twitter

ANOTHER CREDITOR CLAIM
20th November 2009
http://www.facebook.com/l/994f3;www.tmz.com/2009/11/20/michael-jackson-sued-over-bad-tv-habits/

JERMAINE: SUICIDE PROVES MJ DIDN’T MOLEST
26th November 2009
Jermaine Jackson came out swinging at an event at the Magic Johnson theater in L.A. yesterday, claiming the 1993 molestation accusations against his brother were false ... and the suicide of the accuser's dad proves it.
Jermaine -- who spoke at a Michael Jackson charity event -- said the accuser's dad could not live with a guilty conscience and that's why he killed himself. Jermaine also latched onto Internet rumors that the accuser himself said Jackson didn't touch him.

News / Mentionings for December 28, 2009 - Happy Monday!

Tracks of our years - Michael Jackson

Michael Visontay
December 28, 2009

470_michael_jackson_albums.jpg

Off the Wall (1979) v Thriller (1982)

TWO moments of brilliance linger in the collective memory of Michael Jackson: Off the Wall, when the boy became a man, and Thriller, when the man became a magician.

In the late 1970s Michael teamed up with producer Quincy Jones, who gave the singer his own slick R&B sound, with a disco beat. The result was Off the Wall, featuring a cover photo of Michael, just 20 years old, dressed in a tuxedo. His smile was dazzling, the melodies were sinuous, the beat irresistible. This was the record that turned him from a great black singer into a great singer.

When young men around the world heard Jackson singing Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough, Rock with You or Off the Wall, they were white with envy. These shiny, exuberant songs made women get up and shake their bodies all night long. We wanted what Michael was having.

In retrospect, the album contained just three major songs that defined his new style and vibe. But at the time, Michael was still recording with his brothers and the Jacksons released three killer songs either side of Michael's solo album that became intertwined with it. Blame It on the Boogie and Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) were released a year before. Can You Feel It, with its booming bass line, came a year after. Michael wrote the second two of these three.

His next album was Thriller. The cover photo was cooler, more subdued, the suit white and the shirt black, with no bow tie — a clever rebuttal of the previous album. The melodies carried a harder edge, the mood darker than the champagne fizz of Off the Wall. But the beat was something else. Once felt, never forgotten. Billie Jean and Beat It, sung with tight, husky phrasing, were charged by a hypnotic pulse, forever promising danger just around the corner.

In fact, these first two singles were stories as much as they were songs: a new form of musical theatre, the moment when video became an essential part of popular music. Until Thriller, videos had been a visual add-on; the music still came first. Michael Jackson forged the two into one art form, the visual story rehearsed and choreographed like a Broadway musical. Moonwalk entered our vocabulary.

The music endures well beyond the imagery. Together with the title track, the boppy Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and the elegant ballad The Girl is Mine, Thriller revealed Michael Jackson as a musical magus who transported us into shadowy worlds where life was, indeed, thrilling.
In the end, however, Michael Jackson's music was an invitation to dance, to escape. So the real comparison between these two albums lies in one question: which one most makes us want to "shake our bodies down to the ground"?

Album versus album: Thriller wins. But in terms of creative bursts, Off the Wall — with a little help from its friends — still burns just a little bit brighter.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertai...michael-jackson/2009/12/28/1261848637731.html

Young-Michael-Jackson.jpg

december 29 2009

Q&A WITH THE JACKSON BROTHERS ON TWITTER
28th December 2009
On January 10, 2010 at 10 PM EST Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon Jackson will be answering questions LIVE on Twitter! Fans who submit questions by January 5, 2010 at Noon EST will be entered into a drawing for a The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty 8x10 Autographed by all 4 Jackson brothers!
Click on the link below to submit your questions:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/448d3;assets.electricartists.com/MEDIA/aetv/jacksons/sweeps/
Click on the link below to follow The Jacksons on Twitter:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/448d3;twitter.com/alljack5ons
Source: A&E
-------------------------------------------------
THRILLER LIVE EXTENDS SHOWS AT LYRIC THEATRE
28th December 2009
Thriller Live, featuring the songs of Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5, has extended 5 months to Sunday 12 Sep 2010 at the Lyric Theatre.
The show opened at the Lyric Theatre, Shaftesbury Ave, on 21 Jan 2009, following previews from 2 Jan 2009, to generally good notices from the popular press:
THE STAGE says, "Some of the set pieces, particularly the Billie Jean/Thriller/Bad set are, quite literally, thrilling."
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH says, "A glitzy concert of song and dance...a great night out."
THE DAILY EXPRESS says, "A hugely enjoyable, gloriously upbeat, high energy show."
THE INDEPENDENT says, "Immensely enjoyable. "
The show, originally conceived and created by Adrian Grant, is directed and choreographed by Gary Lloyd, with additional choreography by LaVelle Smith Jr and and Kerys Nathan.
Source: http://www.facebook.com/l/448d3;londontheatre.co.uk
------------------------------------------------
FBI FILES ON MICHAEL JACKSON RELEASED
12th December 2009
In response to Freedom of Information Act requests, the Bureau has released its investigative files on the late entertainer Michael Jackson, who died earlier this year.
The records total 333 pages, divided into seven files. They detail the FBI’s investigation of a man who threatened to kill Jackson, as well as various forms of assistance to California authorities in two cases involving allegations that Jackson had abused children. It should be emphasized that none of these allegations were ever proven in court.
Here is a quick rundown of what the seven files contain:-
FILE ONE - 9A-LA-142276
The first file—9A-LA-142276—was opened by the Los Angeles FBI office when it was asked to lead a federal case against a California man already under arrest for sending numerous threatening letters. The man—who falsely claimed to be the son of mobster John Gotti—had staked out Jackson's house and threatened to kill him, the U.S. president, and others. He was ruled incompetent to stand trial and sent to prison for two years.
FILE TWO & THREE - 62D-LA-162715 & 62D-LO-11779
The second and third files—62D-LA-162715 and 62D-LO-11779—involve the Bureau’s support of local law enforcement. In 1993, the Los Angeles and the Santa Barbara Police departments formed a task force to investigate an allegation that Jackson had molested a young boy. FBI field divisions in Los Angeles and New York—as well as Bureau overseas offices in Manila and London—provided assistance in that case.
Investigators gathered public records on Jackson, interviewed a potential witness, and followed various other leads. The FBI assisted Los Angeles Police Department detectives who traveled to the Philippines to interview possible witnesses and shared news reports from London about a potential victim. The U.S. Attorney declined to pursue a federal investigation, including a possible violation of the Mann Act (transporting a minor across state lines for immoral purposes), and no charges were filed by the state.
FILE FOUR - 95A-HQ-1148159
The fourth file—95A-HQ-1148159—concerns a 1995 request by a U.S. Customs agent in Florida that the Bureau examine a VHS videotape connected with Jackson to see if it contained child pornography. Forensic specialists discovered that the tape was a “poor quality third or fourth generation recording” and informed the Customs Service of their findings.
FILE FIVE, SIX & 7 - 62D-LA-236081, 252B-IR-6808 & 305B-LA-239205
In 2003, Jackson was charged by the state of California with molestation and other counts. The final three files—62D-LA-236081, 252B-IR-6808, and 305B-LA-239205—detail the Bureau’s support to local law enforcement during the ensuing investigation. The first of these files describes an FBI response to a Los Angeles Police Department request to analyze computers and digital media obtained from Jackson's home under court warrant. The second involves a request by the Santa Barbara County District Attorney for help and guidance from behavioral analysts in the FBI’s Critical Incident Response Group. In the last of the three files, an FBI agent from Los Angeles traveled to New York to interview a potential witness. The agent found this individual unwilling to cooperate and closed the matter. The case went to court in 2005, and Jackson was acquitted of all charges.
Click on the link below to read the files in more detail:-
http://www.facebook.com/l/448d3;foia.fbi.gov/foiaindex/jackson_michael.htm
Source: FBI

470_jackson_091015.jpg

Date: Tuesday Dec. 29, 2009 9:00 AM ET
While Lady Gaga charmed us with bad romance and Drake told us that we were the best he ever had, one star above all ruled pop in 2009: Michael Jackson.
In fact, not since the height of his "Thriller" heyday has the self-styled King of Pop enjoyed such appeal.
In death, Jackson did what he couldn't do with two decades of multi-million dollar videos and promotional budgets that equalled the gross domestic product of a small country: reclaim his crown.
While our culture celebrates the success of youth and derides the failure of decline, one thing we find irresistible is tragedy. In Jackson's case, 2009 had all three elements in spades.
The year began with Jackson's bizarre announcement in March that he would play a series of comeback concerts at London's cavernous O2 arena.
While his hardcore fan base celebrated, the rest of us scratched our heads: Why now? From what rock did Jackson crawl out from under? Hadn't he been in Brunei partying with the Sultan? Could he still sing? Why did he keep saying "this is it?"
The prospects weren't good. At the press conference, Jackson appeared painfully thin and his face -- deformed by years of plastic surgery -- was even more bizarre looking than we'd remembered.
He also didn't say much except to reiterate the title of the comeback: "This is it. I just want to say these will be my final show performances in London. This is it, when I say this is it, this is it," Jackson told a smattering of press and fans in London.
"I'll be performing the songs my fans want to hear -- this is it. This is really it. This is the final curtain call. I'll see you in July."
Questions
When the initial 10-date run was expanded to 50, even Jackson's most ardent supporters questioned the move. Given the singer's health, could he pull it off?
As it turns out, Jackson couldn't pull it off.
In the aftermath of his death on June 25, the pop culture media machine went completely bonkers: CNN was turned into a 24-hour news service for the King of Pop, the Billboard chart read like a collection of the singer's greatest hits and music fans of all generations dug out their Jackson tapes, CDs and LPs.
Meanwhile, there were lurid reports that the singer had turned into a drug-crazed zombie in his final days, taking a daily cocktail of uppers and downers that would have stopped a horse.
Investigators combing through his rented mansion in Los Angeles found propofol, a hypnotic agent which is delivered intravenously and is rarely found outside of operating rooms.
At the height of the speculation over his death, the Los Angeles Police Department announced that it had opened a homicide investigation, and Jackson's former physician, Dr. Conrad Murray, was at the centre of it.
Still, at second-hand record shops, worn copies of "Thriller" quadrupled in price and fans around the world snatched up special MJ magazine editions.
Other merch enjoyed a similar bump, and in the week ending July 5, Jackson's catalog had moved 800,000 units in the U.S. in only seven days. Not bad for a guy whose last collection of new music was panned as a failure back in 2001.
While the freak show that was Jackson's life had finally come to a close, the public mourning continued unabated.
With the charade over, it finally become okay to embrace the man and his music again.
There was another cataclysmic pop culture moment when Jackson's three children -- long-shielded from the prying eyes of the tabloids -- made their public debut at a hastily-organized tribute concert at the Los Angeles arena where Jackson had been rehearsing.
And when 11-year-old daughter Paris Jackson tearfully spoke at the end of the concert at the Staples Center, the world shed a tear with her.
"Ever since I was born, daddy has been the best father you could ever imagine and I just want to say I love him so much," Paris said as she was clutched by Jackson's family.
This Is It?
Just as the spectacle around the death began to die down, Kenny Ortega, the man who was behind the scrapped comeback shows, announced that rehearsal footage was being edited for a theatrical release.
Aptly titled "This Is It," skeptics cringed at the thought of sitting through 111 minutes of second-hand footage of a middle-aged pop star warming up for concerts that never happened.
After all, reports had suggested that Jackson's once-magical singing voice had been crippled by lung problems before his death. We had also read that Jackson's inimitable dance moves had been halted thanks to years of malnutrition, atrophy and drug abuse.
But through it all, "This Is It" silenced its critics. Not only did the film do well at the box office, earning more than $70 million in the U.S. alone, but it showed that the performer still had some juice left when he died.
The film was raw but it was also entertaining. Throughout dance sequences and duets, Jackson commanded both the screen and his accomplished band, telling them to play his hits like he had written them years before.
The movie was also a boon for concert promoter AEG Live, who lost millions when Jackson died.
As the New Year approached, however, pop culture was still clamouring to find meaning in Jackson's life and death: Was this the price of fame? Did Jackson squander his own talent? Is his life a cautionary tale, or one of tragic victory?
While the answers aren't clear, as a new generation of musicians and performers clamour for the top of the pop heap, it's unlikely that any of them will reach the standards Jackson set at his peak.
The king is dead, long live the King of Pop.

here is link:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...y_jackson_091229/20091229?hub=EntertainmentV2

That "article" above in Rockstar's thread, written by Rev. Barbara Kaufmann, is one of the best I've ever read. Beautifully said and sums up what I find to be the ultimate truth r/t Michael.
Michael Jackson was indeed

Whatever you thought about Michael Jackson is correct because
it is more about who you are being than it is about Michael,
because he wasn’t just the man in the mirror,
he was the mirror.

Links below to Raffles Van Exel's interview with Travis Payne. Discussion is taking place here .... BUT I'm putting the links in this thread for those who aren't aware and don't venture into that section of the board.

Excellent and informative interview (imo)...covers soooo many areas of interest. I think most fans will really enjoy this. Sounds like some really RARE goodies are coming on the DVD/Blu-Ray as far as getting more footage of Michael behind the scenes/offstage. Can't wait!

Great job and thanks to both Raffles and Travis for taking the time to bring this to the fans. :flowers:

Interview Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3KO-ByHaQ

Interview Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erms2NA_eq0

Interview Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/user/RafflesEntertainment#p/u/2/3s1nkOYbQrI

Interview Part 4

http://www.youtube.com/user/RafflesEntertainment#p/u/u-all/0/84Qzc-Nhbfs

Part 5 is pending at this time....

Last edited:
Back