Chris Brown's mother apologizes

billyworld99

Proud Member
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/dailydish/detail?entry_id=72063

Chris Brown's manager mother has issued a public apology to outraged fans of his musical hero Michael Jackson, for tweeting an insensitive comment about the King of Pop's death.

Brown has often credited Jackson as an influence, and suffered a breakdown while performing his hit "Man in the Mirror" at the BET Awards in June.

But the singer's mom Joyce Hawkins sparked a storm of criticism on Wednesday, when she logged on to Twitter, and wrote, "Michael Jackson died so that Chris Brown could live!!!"

The comment has since been taken down, but not before Hawkins was inundated with a flurry of angry online messages.

The outrage prompted Hawkins to release a statement to USA Today on Thursday to clarify her message: "I'm so sorry that the tweet I sent yesterday was misunderstood. What I meant to say is that Chris has always been inspired by Michael Jackson's music and his career."

She later logged on to Twitter, issuing an apology to her followers: "I'm sorry I offended anyone. The statement meant Chris would carry on Michaels (sic) legacy."

Published on: September 10 2010 at 01:43 PM
Listed Under: Chris Brown

hmmm... for Chris to carry on his legacy??? Wow -____- He's nothing compared to MJ... She's too proud of her son.

What she said was strange and inappropriate. If she meant something else, she should've said it that way to begin with.

hmmm... for Chris to carry on his legacy??? Wow -____- He's nothing compared to MJ... She's too proud of her son.[/QUOTE}
I agree with this..he is NOTHING to be compared with Michael....

What she said was strange and inappropriate. If she meant something else, she should've said it that way to begin with.

I agree with this too....I think she said what she ment..I just dont think that she thought people would pick up on it.

"Michael Jackson died so that Chris Brown could live!!!"

Oh my gosh, what a horrible, horrible thing to say!

There is no way Chris Brown could live up to Michael's legacy.

Way to go MJ fans. I'm glad they spoke up about that pure callous stupidity.

That was some weird statement, to say the least! What do people think, that The Fans won't care about it any more? That's it's been long enough that we won't mind?

Michael's passing is still a very emotional issue for a lot of people, including myself. It will probably never ever change. To say something like that is just plain cold and stupid.

Omg that's bad. I'll let it go as a mother getting in over her head. Clearly she is not trained to be a public figure lol. My mom says stupid shit with her heart in a good place sometimes.

For instance, she loves Obama, but the other day...

Her: Obama is so cute. He looks like a little monkey.

Me: ..did you know that calling a black person a monkey is considered a racial slur?

Her: Oh my God, is it really?

:lol:

I'm now imagining her tweeting about Obama looking like a monkey.

But yeah, I wouldn't want her getting bashed if someone who didn't know her heard that. I don't think there would be anything wrong with it if Chris Brown's mom had just said CB is carrying on Michael's legacy. I mean, it's not true (to the degree that Brown is actually "taking the throne" or "filling the shoes" or whatever), but... she's his mom? There is no such thing as being too proud of your son IMO, especially a successful one. That idea is just as silly as his mom's stupid comment.

Last edited:
One of negative aspects of having your mama as your manager. Not saying that I'm totally against the idea of hiring your folks.

That comment was rude and insensitive, what was she thinking righting such trash. It was mean spirited and completely inappropriate, I'm glad she caught so much crap for it.

I'm sorry but Chris Brown wishes he had half the talent Michael had. Michael had more talent in his pinky toe then Chris Brown has in his whole damn body.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery but one can only imitate so much before they forget to give something new.

Chris Brown hasnt had one good song. Literally, all of his songs are pretty terrible.

I'm sure Chris Brown himself wouldnt have agreed with what his mother said, and I doubt he would have let her say it had he known.

Maybe what she meant was that he will allways been seen as an MJ impersonator sort of. But he draws that kind of label to himself.

Well let me see- Chris Brown- second rate copy cat, wife beater vs Michael Jackson, musical legend, humanitarian, global superstar . hmm

Back