Chris Brown Vibe interview on BET Music Awards

ginvid

Proud Member
On being removed from the BET Awards Michael Jackson Tribute:
“It was wack. I’ll keep it a hundred. The BET Awards was horrible. I was watching it, holding my face like, ‘Oh my God this is wack’. I didn’t get it. Michael Jackson was such a big entertainer. And I’m not dissing any of the artists who did the songs. But I was expecting a lot more energy for Michael. And BET Awards usually comes hard. I was expecting them to have Usher, Omarion and even Justin. And I was expecting Ne-Yo to dance. They were so bent on not getting me there that they messed up their own show.”

I know he beat Rihanna up. But he is so on point about the BET awards. I just wanted to say that. I for one would have liked to see a better tribute. What do you guys think about what he says about MJ. Should he just be quiet?

well now... I'm not sure if chris brown being there would have made a difference, but I totally agree with him that it was a bad tribute.
I guess it's understandable though, I mean michael died just a few days before. People were still mourning, and it's kinda hard to celebrate when you still can't get over the shock of his death.

I agree with Chris. Michael deserved a better tribute! I don't think BET should have done it on their awards show. They should have held a separate tribute altogether for Michael. If it weren't for Michael there wouldn't even be a BET!

That award show seem like an rush job to me, and I think that's why it came out the way it came out. If the awards show was held a few weeks or months after Michael's death, maybe it would have been more polished and perfect.

You know, I'd like to think that. But then I see that bogus one BET put on at the Soul train awards. They had months for that one.:scratch:

BET didn't really have that long to plan the tribute. I gotta cut them some slack for that. I think MJ died on the Thursday and their show was on the Sunday of the same week (correct me if I'm wrong). I imagine it was rushed, but you could tell they did what they could in the time they had. It wasn't the best tribute I've seen, but at least they tried. I know all hell would have broken lose here if they decided not to acknowledge Michael at all.

I have respect for Brown because whether or not he knew MJ personally, he was a friend. You can see it in his comments and in the tributes he's been doing for MJ for several years now. BET absolutely blew it by not letting him be in the show. These wack entertainers that they have now a days didn't have a chance at putting together a good MJ tribute no matter how much time you gave them. Chris brown is probably the best entertainer left in the music industry and was BET's and all these other stupid award shows last hope to make these tributes better.

considering the phoniness of BET, i really think they should have allowed artists who were passionate about MJ. and despite Chris Brown's troubles, he is passionate about MJ. and i do think it would have made a difference.

with all the troubled people in the world, the hate for MJ in the media warrants that whoever has genuine passion for MJ, deserves a chance to make up for the hate.

it kinda reminds me of when in the Bible, Jesus looked for some people to invite to a dinner, and all the people who thought they had no wrongdoing in them, chose not to attend the dinner, so Jesus went out in the streets to invite all the people who were considered outcasts..and they came in droves and were genuine about the feast. (i'm not calling Michael Jackson, God) i'm just making a statement about principle.

somehow, considering all that was going on, concerning Chris Brown, i think he would have singlehandedly made the rush job worthwhile, based simply on his remorseful feelings.

i'd like to think that if Chris Brown got a chance to take the time out for the legend that represents such good will, that it would probably help, even in the rehabilitation of Chris Brown.

Michael deserves this principle.

Last edited:
I agree. I think that some are thinking that trouble negates talent. yes he can be obnoxious, yes he could take a humility pill, but he does have talent. And it says a lot about someone who is so full of himself yet he is still willing to point to MJ as his inspiration while people like JT who display mock humility and who obviuosly have been influenced by MJ are skiddish when it comes to him.

People can change. If we were to throw out every person in this business who have severe emotional problems, ethically or physically, there would be no one left in it. We would not even have golf so it seems.

A lot of tributes , esp that night were all about the performers. Bringing recognition to themselves. They were not passionate about MJ, but passionate about their exposure. I think CB was actually passionate about MJ (As you mentioned) and that would have shown through in his performance. He seems to genuinely feel a indebted to MJ for all that he has done. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get that feeling from him. but what do I know?

I try to see Chris Brown in a good light, after what he did, but i just can't. He wanted to kill Rihana and nobody gives an eff. He's just a spoiled little rich boy who thinks he can get away with anything.

I have respect for Brown because whether or not he knew MJ personally, he was a friend. You can see it in his comments and in the tributes he's been doing for MJ for several years now. BET absolutely blew it by not letting him be in the show. These wack entertainers that they have now a days didn't have a chance at putting together a good MJ tribute no matter how much time you gave them. Chris brown is probably the best entertainer left in the music industry and was BET's and all these other stupid award shows last hope to make these tributes better.

He's far from the best entertainer in the music industry.

I think they could and should have done better too. I mean it's MICHAEL JACKSON!!!!

I try to see Chris Brown in a good light, after what he did, but i just can't. He wanted to kill Rihana and nobody gives an eff. He's just a spoiled little rich boy who thinks he can get away with anything.

Were you in the same car that night?

Please, I dont agree with what he did and there is proof that he actually did it....

But Rihanna seems to be doing okay... Hell, she seems to be having the time of her life right now... She got him back good too... -_-

They did the best they could with the time they could.

It's easy to say what you would have done better AFTER the fact. Take a humility pill Chris. No one knew Michael was going to pass, they pulled together what they could. You organise a full scale awards show and then have a last minute tribute to do. See how smooth it goes off.

Back