Chris Brown sentenced in Rihanna assault case

Agent M

Proud Member

Aug. 25, 2009, 6:04 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A judge on Tuesday sentenced Chris Brown to five years' probation and six months' community labor for the beating of Rihanna and issued a stern admonition to the R&B singer.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg told Brown that he could be sent to state prison if he violated any terms of his sentence, including an order to stay away from Rihanna for the next five years.

Brown will serve his sentence in his home state - Virginia - and his community labor will be overseen by the chief of police in Richmond.

Video: Watch Chris Brown's sentencing http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid...74c6d&from=MsnEntertainment&tab=m122066131306

The judge said she wanted to ensure that Brown, 20, performs physical labor instead of community service, such as mentoring young people.

Rihanna did not attend Tuesday's sentencing.

At one point, Brown, who was accompanied by his mother, agreed to the terms of the sentence before Schnegg had finished going through them all.

The hearing had been planned for Thursday afternoon, but Brown's lawyer, Mark Geragos, asked to move up the singer's sentencing to Tuesday. A previous attempt to sentence Brown was postponed when Schnegg said she hadn't received adequate assurances that Brown would perform physical labor if allowed to serve probation in Virginia.

The judge said she was satisfied with a letter presented by Geragos that Richmond Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood will directly oversee Brown's labor program.

After Brown pleaded guilty to felony assault in June, Schnegg ordered the pair to stay away from each other and to not contact one another. Her order Tuesday essentially extended that for the next five years.

Donald Etra, Rihanna's attorney, has said he didn't think the strict rules were necessary, but that he and Rihanna favored a less-stringent ruling that simply ordered Brown not to annoy, harass or molest the 21-year-old pop singer. Schnegg said she was aware of reports that Brown had been spotted on several occasions in the same places as Rihanna.

"I am not amused with the chatter that has been on the airwaves and any violation of your probation in this case comes with the potential for state prison," Schnegg told Brown.

Brown was arrested Feb. 8, hours after he was accused of beating Rihanna.

The attack occurred in Los Angeles' Hancock Park neighborhood as Brown drove a rented sports car. A Los Angeles police detective described a brutal attack in a search warrant affidavit filed in the case, stating Brown hit, choked and bit Rihanna and tried at one point to push her from the car.

Brown's career suffered after his arrest, with sponsors dropping him and radio stations refusing to play his music. Both he and Rihanna had to cancel several high-profile appearances, including planned performances at the Grammy Awards the day of the attack.

A felony charge of making criminal threats was dropped during Tuesday's sentencing.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=428018&gt1=28102

It seems the name Brown brings bad behavior. 1st it was James, then Bobby, now this. Jackson Browne, the singer/songwriter, also had some trouble.

It seems the name Brown brings bad behavior. 1st it was James, then Bobby, now this. Jackson Browne, the singer/songwriter, also had some trouble.

what was Jackson Browne's trouble..tho his name is a different in spelling..lol

anyway...i grafted a copy of the report, and i don't know if it will show on this screenshot, but i wondered...how in the world can anyone take seriously, Chris Brown having a construction job, while everyone knows damn well, that his music career is still shelling in millions? Meanwhile, look at ole Yahoo and the Associated Press, presenting a Chris Vid for all of us to see, while filing this report. lol. Wonders never cease.

Chris Brown News

AP, Aug 26, 2009 5:00 am PDT
A judge on Tuesday sentenced Chris Brown to five years' probation and six months' community labor for the beating of Rihanna and ordered the R&B singer to stay away from his former girlfriend for the next five years. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg told Brown that he could be sent to state prison if he violated any terms of his sentence, including an order to stay 100 yards away from Rihanna unless they're attending music industry events.
A probation report prepared for Tuesday's sentencing describes two previous violent incidents. It said the first happened about three months before the February beating while the couple was traveling in Europe; Rihanna slapped Brown during an argument, and he shoved her into a wall. In the second instance, Brown allegedly broke the front and passenger side windows on a Range Rover they were driving while visiting Barbados, Rihanna's home country. Neither attack was reported, the probation report states.

Brown will serve his sentence in his home state — Virginia — and his community labor will be overseen by the police chief in Richmond. The judge said she wanted to ensure that Brown, 20, performs physical labor instead of community service, such as mentoring young people. He will also undergo a year of domestic violence counseling.
Rihanna did not attend Tuesday's sentencing.
At one point, Brown, who was accompanied by his mother, agreed to the terms of the sentence before Schnegg had finished going through them all.
The hearing had been planned for Thursday afternoon, but Brown's lawyer, Mark Geragos, asked to move up the singer's sentencing to Tuesday. A previous attempt to sentence Brown was postponed when Schnegg said she hadn't received adequate assurances that Brown would perform physical labor if allowed to serve probation in Virginia.
The judge said she was satisfied with a letter presented by Geragos that Richmond Police Chief Bryan T. Norwood will directly oversee Brown's labor program.
After Brown pleaded guilty to felony assault in June, Schnegg ordered the pair to stay away from each other and to not contact one another. Her order Tuesday essentially extended that until Brown completes his sentence.
Donald Etra, Rihanna's attorney, has said he didn't think the strict rules were necessary, but that he and Rihanna favored a less-stringent ruling that simply ordered Brown not to annoy, harass or molest the 21-year-old pop singer. He said after Tuesday's hearing that Rihanna did not object to the stay-away order, which allows the former couple to be within 10 yards of each other if they are attending music industry events.
Schnegg said she was aware of reports that Brown had been spotted on several occasions in the same places as Rihanna.
"I am not amused with the chatter that has been on the airwaves and any violation of your probation in this case comes with the potential for state prison," Schnegg told Brown.
A felony charge of making criminal threats was dropped during Tuesday's sentencing.
"We feel that the sentence for Mr. Brown is an equitable one," said Sandi Gibbons, a district attorney's spokeswoman. "He has his future in his hands. He has control of his fate."
Gibbons said Brown's charge could eventually be reduced to a misdemeanor if he completes his sentence.
Brown was arrested Feb. 8, hours after he was accused of beating Rihanna.
The attack occurred in Los Angeles' Hancock Park neighborhood as Brown drove a rented sports car. A Los Angeles police detective described a brutal attack in a search warrant affidavit filed in the case, stating Brown hit, choked and bit Rihanna and tried at one point to push her from the car.
Brown's career suffered after his arrest, with sponsors dropping him and radio stations refusing to play his music. Both he and Rihanna had to cancel several high-profile appearances, including planned performances at the Grammy Awards the day of the attack.
In a probation report released after the sentencing, Brown is quoted as saying he was "depressed" since the attack and that he "'does not want to carry on that cycle.'"
The report included letters of support for Brown from RCA/Jive Label Group Chairman Barry Weiss as well as an entertainment lawyer and a pastor.
___
Associated Press Special Correspondent Linda Deutsch contributed to this report.

More Artist News

Chris Brown sentenced in LA for assault
Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm PDT
Disgraced R&B star Chris Brown was sentenced to five years' probation and 180 days of community labor on Tuesday for beating up his then-girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna. The sentencing by a Los Angeles judge followed a plea deal. Brown...

Chris Brown apologizes for Rihanna beating
Jul 20, 2009 2:00 pm PDT
Chris Brown on Monday publicly apologized for the beating of Rihanna, saying in a two-minute video that he's still seeking help and wants to live his life as a role model. Brown released the video on his Web site apologizing to fans and s...

Rihanna Ready to Face Chris Brown
Jun 19, 2009 1:00 pm PDT
Rihanna's courtroom showdown with ex Chris Brown is Monday, but is the R&B star nervous? Not one bit, according to her lawyer. "She's fine," attorney Donald Etra tells E! News. "She's fully expecting she&#...

Rihanna and Chris Brown Both Appear at NBA Finals
Jun 12, 2009 8:05 am PDT
Forget about the matchup on the floor. Rihanna and Chris Brown were both in the stands to watch the nail-biting fourth game of the NBA Finals in Orlando. A source told People that the two had asked to sit together, but that was not the ...

Rihanna, Chris Brown seen at basketball game
Jun 12, 2009 3:00 am PDT
R&B singer Chris Brown and former girlfriend Rihanna were among the celebrities in the crowd at the fourth game of the National Basket Ball Association Finals in Orlando. They were sitting on opposite ends of the same row under the basket...

edit: well..i can see the vid doesn't show on the screenshot, but, anyway, they do a hell of a good job of promoting Chris Brown, while filing the report. i'll post the link so u can see. i'll have to do it in a double post, because the link doesn't seem to work when i edit a post..

i can imagine the damage they could do at an awards event.

edit: oh..i see someone took away my second post. but no responses, otherwise.

Last edited:
If this is true, the way and much he beat Rihanna, then he got away too fucking easy:
http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/25/rihanna-attack-the-official-blow-by-blow/

That was really disturbing to read, and I don't give a f##k if Rihanna even would'
ve fornicated with another guy right in front Chris' eyes... what he did to her according to that statement is just beyond my mind of how you'd ever treat a woman.
I remember Chris saying "I'm not a monster" - YES YOU FU##ING ARE!

ugh Chris Brown... *rolls eyes*

In my opinion, he should be in jail...

ugh Chris Brown... *rolls eyes*

In my opinion, he should be in jail...

I think he should have gotten a little jail time, especially since it came out he had other instances of abuse. This was not an isolated incident. The probation period makes me less worried about the message this sends to others. Five years is quite a while.

If this is true, the way and much he beat Rihanna, then he got away too fucking easy:
http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/25/rihanna-attack-the-official-blow-by-blow/

That was really disturbing to read, and I don't give a f##k if Rihanna even would'
ve fornicated with another guy right in front Chris' eyes... what he did to her according to that statement is just beyond my mind of how you'd ever treat a woman.
I remember Chris saying "I'm not a monster" - YES YOU FU##ING ARE!

Agreed, what he did goes way beyond an anger outburst, it's some Ike Turner ish...

I knew he'd get off lightly. Nice to see justice being done. :smilerolleyes:

Mark your calendars cus chris will be appearing on Larry King's show september 2nd. He'll be joined by his mother Joyce Hawkins and his attorney Mark Geragos. The interview was taped last night—which was said to be a no-restrictions sit-down during which Brown answered every question that King asked. Brown was officially sentenced on Aug. 25 to 5 years probation after pleading guilty to felony assault.

Mark your calendars cus chris will be appearing on Larry King's show september 2nd. He'll be joined by his mother Joyce Hawkins and his attorney Mark Geragos. The interview was taped last night—which was said to be a no-restrictions sit-down during which Brown answered every question that King asked. Brown was officially sentenced on Aug. 25 to 5 years probation after pleading guilty to felony assault.
SAY WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!
ok, I'm not over it enough not to watch!! That's next Wednesday... *marks calendar*

The boy should be strung up by his balls. What a coward of a man! Grrr...Man beating on women make me so fricking angry. the boy should not be held up as an idol. He is a nasty arse piece of work! I'm not one for judging but as I've been abused myself I have very little time for people that are proven to abuse others. Discusting..arghhh!

I really can't stand this douche so I probably won't be watching. Then again, it depends on the questions being asked. If it's some juicy stuff then maybe. haha. Just kidding...

I don't really care anymore. My opinion on him is set. I never liked him before the assault and I sure as hell don't like him after. If it were up to me, he'd have been in jail a while ago.

Chris Brown is an amimal, and like any dangerous animal he should be locked up. This pathetic excuse for a human being deserves to rot in jail for what he did, and should be forced to give refunds to any fan he may have had that spent money on his music over the years. You had everything going for you Chris, but the woman-beating animal in you came out threw it all away. Good riddance.

Saying this isn't going to garner him any sympathy from those who've come to despise him.......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090831/ap_en_...ple_chris_brown

Chris Brown says he still loves Rihanna

LOS ANGELES – Chris Brown says he doesn't remember savagely beating Rihanna and claims he still loves his former girlfriend.

In his first public interviews on the subject, the R&B singer told People magazine and CNN's Larry King that his feelings haven't changed for Rihanna since the February beating that left her bloody and bruised.

"I never fell out of love with her," Brown told People. "That just wouldn't go away."

Brown told King in an interview scheduled to air on Wednesday night that he is still in shock about his actions. Brown's mother, Joyce Hawkins, accompanied her son during both interviews.

"When I look at it now, it's just like, wow, like, I can't believe that that actually happened," Brown told King.

Brown pleaded guilty to felony assault in June and last week was sentenced to five years of probation, a year of domestic violence counseling and six months of community labor. He will serve his sentence in his home state of Virginia.

A judge also ordered Brown, 20, and Rihanna, 21, to stay away from each other.

A police affidavit and probation report detail the beating, which included Brown hitting, biting and choking Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty. The attack occurred in a car after the couple attended a pre-Grammy Awards party.

Brown's interview with People will be published in an issue released on Friday. He told the magazine he called his mother, who was a domestic violence victim, the night of the attack.

"I was distraught. I went to my mom on the same night and told (her) what happened and broke down."

Brown released a video statement last month in which he apologized to fans and said he had repeatedly apologized to Rihanna for the attack.

___

On the Net:

People magazine: http://www.people.com

CNN: http://www.cnn.com

If anyone ever considers buying Chris Brown pathetic excuse for music, pause for a moment and picture the Chris Brown in a car with Rihanna, beating her senseless as she tries to protect herself and he doesn't stop until her face is completely bruised. Think about whether you really want to support such a man.

Once someone said 'Do not judge someone until you've spoken to them personally'... some of you might know who this person is.
I've been thinking about it, and the way some of us are responding in this thread (myself included)... I'll stop now.

What he did is horrible, but I don't think words such a 'animal' are justified, this doesn't mean I in any way support his actions, but I don't think we need the hate.

Once someone said 'Do not judge someone until you've spoken to them personally'... some of you might know who this person is.
I've been thinking about it, and the way some of us are responding in this thread (myself included)... I'll stop now.

What he did is horrible, but I don't think words such a 'animal' are justified, this doesn't mean I in any way support his actions, but I don't think we need the hate.

I agree to a point BUT Chris shouldn't sit there with a straight face and say he doesn't remember beating Rihanna it's insulting to domestic violence victims and unlike that guy who said don't judge people, there was never a picture of him harming a child or anyone he was just falsely accused. Unfortunately for Chris, someone decided to leak a picture that many of us will never ever forget, and yes why we shouldn't go to extremes in name calling, having seen female relatives in my life beaten beyond recognition, it's time for someone to caution Chris that being indifferent won't win you sympathy or understanding bottom line.

I agree to a point BUT Chris shouldn't sit there with a straight face and say he doesn't remember beating Rihanna it's insulting to domestic violence victims and unlike that guy who said don't judge people, there was never a picture of him harming a child or anyone he was just falsely accused. Unfortunately for Chris, someone decided to leak a picture that many of us will never ever forget, and yes why we shouldn't go to extremes in name calling, having seen female relatives in my life beaten beyond recognition, it's time for someone to caution Chris that being indifferent won't win you sympathy or understanding bottom line.

I completely understand where you're comming from and in no way shape or form I'm saying what he did is ok, he certainly deserves to be punished for it. I personally just don't think it's ok to call someone an 'animal'... I know how much it hurt me when other called Michael such things.

And to the bolded, doesn't mean his words should only be applied to him but to everyone.

Agreed, what he did goes way beyond an anger outburst, it's some Ike Turner ish...

The second this happened my FB status was: Chris Brown = new Ike Turner.

"I was distraught. I went to my mom on the same night and told (her) what happened and broke down."

Wait, how could he tell his mom the same night if he doesn't remember beating her? What does he remember?

The second this happened my FB status was: Chris Brown = new Ike Turner.

Wait, how could he tell his mom the same night if he doesn't remember beating her? What does he remember?

Haven't you heard? "I don't remember" is the punchline for every lying, cowardly criminal in the world.

Back