China: Hollywood Tonight; U.S. and Japan: Behind The Mask as 2nd single (ALL confirmed)

mkgenie

Proud Member
China will release Hollywood Tonight (MJ Estate also confirmed)

The U.S. and Japan will probably release Behind The Mask as the second single.

Just heard from my sources in Sony.

more info will come.

New Michael Jackson Singles Coming From The Global #1 Album "Michael"

Album Already Achieves Platinum Status in 17 Countries Worldwide

MJ_Hollywood_Tonight_V2_c.jpg
New York, NY – In the coming weeks, the Estate and Sony Music will be releasing "Hollywood Tonight" and "Behind the Mask" from the global hit album MICHAEL. "Behind The Mask" will be released as the radio single in countries including the United States, Canada, Japan and France. "Hollywood Tonight" will be the single released to radio in the rest of the world and videos for both songs will be released worldwide. Each Sony Music affiliate will also release more information on the plans in their respective territories.

Both "Behind The Mask" and "Hollywood Tonight" are fan and critical favorites from MICHAEL – the unique collection of Michael Jackson songs completed posthumously and released in December by Sony and his Estate. The album includes material Michael had been working on for future release prior to his passing along with other vintage work he planned to place on future albums. Joe Vogel, author of the upcoming book Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson, wrote that while "Posthumous works are notoriously tricky…This, ultimately, is the most important quality of Michael: it feels like Michael."

"Behind the Mask," which was recently completed by John McClain and Jon Nettlesbey, is praised by critics for infusing the spirit of Michael's music from the past. Rolling Stone called it "a fiercely funky cousin to "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" The song is written by Michael Jackson, Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto and produced by Michael Jackson, John McClain and Jon Nettlesbey. The song's recognizable hook is a sample of "Behind The Mask" as performed by Ryuichi Sakamoto's Yellow Magic Orchestra. And "Hollywood Tonight", which USA TODAY said "pulsates with Billie Jean-esque energy, was written during the time of the Invincible album. In 2007, Michael pulled the track out of the archives to work on the song with producer Theron "Neff-U" Feemster. "Hollywood Tonight" was written by Michael Jackson and Brad Buxer and the track was produced by Teddy Riley, Michael Jackson with co-producer by Theron "Neff-U" Feemster. Ellen DeGeneres debuted and danced to the song with her audience during her popular talk show.

MJ-MASK-EYES%207_0.jpg

MICHAEL was the #1 global album upon its release in December and has shipped over 3 million units worldwide making it one of the biggest albums of 2010. The album's nonstop success continues to underscore Michael's importance to his fans as a global icon and superstar, and shows how his music continues to transcend cultures and languages. The platinum status for MICHAEL has now grown to 17 countries including the United Kingdom, Germany, France (2x), Italy (2x), Spain, Denmark, Poland, Russia(2x), Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic (5x), Canada, India (2x), China, Taiwan, Korea and the Middle East. Michael is now Gold in 18 countries including Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal and Sweden.

MICHAEL marks another release under the new agreement between The Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music announced in March 2010 that continues the label's 35-year relationship with Michael and his music. During that time, Michael sold hundreds of millions of records, had 13 #1 singles and released the pop culture phenomenon "Thriller," which remains music's all-time bestselling album with more than 100 million copies sold worldwide.

Last edited:
Re: The U.S. and Japan will release Behind The Mask as second single (unconfirmed yet)

I thought it was confirmed that "Hollywood Tonight" will be in the USA. I wish "Behind The Mask was released in The States. I love that song!

Last edited:
Re: The U.S. and Japan will release Behind The Mask as second single (unconfirmed yet)

mkgenie could you tell us if they will expect to make a single release, physical release ?

i dont mind what song is realesed :no:

That's nice!!

I would like to have both HT and BTM as physical CD-singles.

Hope for 4-5 tracks on each single.

Seems like Sony has a hard time in making up their minds.

If it's true BTM is released as the second single, then it's the first time Sony makes the right decision for this project.

^^^^

True. But HT would also be an OK choice.

If it's true BTM is released as the second single, then it's the first time Sony makes the right decision for this project.
I don't think Sony is doing the right move here. Behind The Mask is about 30-year-old song and I don't think people will be so interested in it. I like the song but I think Hollywood Tonight would be a bigger hit. I can imagine HT playing in clubs and people dancing to it but I can't imagine the same thing about BTM. HT would be a lot better choice in my opinion. :)

I don't think Sony is doing the right move here. Behind The Mask is about 30-year-old song and I don't think people will be so interested in it. I like the song but I think Hollywood Tonight would be a bigger hit. I can imagine HT playing in clubs and people dancing to it but I can't imagine the same thing about BTM. HT would be a lot better choice in my opinion. :)

Honestly, I don't care if BTM will become a hit or not. I don't care if the new single lift up the album sales or not.

Michael doesn't need another hit. Another number one signle is insignificant.

What I wish to see is a good song to be recognized. BTM is a good song and deserves to be known. It's more finished than Hollywood Tonight. The quality of vocals (per the album version) is better.

If BTM is chosen, I applaud Sony for dare to be different and go against the current music trend. In a sea of autotuned and robotic voice, BTM is a breath of fresh air.

Good music is timeless. It doesn't matter if BTM is 30 years old.

I disagree that "Behind The Mask" is a good single choice. Singles are supposed to increase the longevity and shelf live of the album through increased airplay and exposure. It's not about sales honestly, but the song isn't going to do good in any region unless they have produced a more modern edit.

It's a good song mind you, and 25 years ago it would have been a megahit. Unfortunately this isn't 1983 and the song sounds dated.

Put "Hollywood Tonight" out with a good danceable radio edit, produce a moderate budget short film ala "Who Is It (EURO)" and let the song do the promotional work.

...But HT is still 2. single in Europe? Right?
AddEmoticons1274.gif
AddEmoticons12730.gif
AddEmoticons12731.gif

Hope for 4-5 tracks on each single.

Me too, that would be great.:)

What we have on the album isn't the original BTM. it was written 30 years ago. But on the album is totally new mix. It sounds up to date and the sax is a homage to the 80s.
to tell that HT is more danceble its nonesence.
there is a fan made mix with the original 83 instrumental. that sounds dated. But this version, sorry don't see it that way. i think it would be a hit in europe.

What we have on the album isn't the original BTM. it was written 30 years ago. But on the album is totally new mix. It sounds up to date and the sax is a homage to the 80s.
to tell that HT is more danceble its nonesence.
there is a fan made mix with the original 83 instrumental. that sounds dated. But this version, sorry don't see it that way. i think it would be a hit in europe.
Maybe there is a more old sounding version of BTM, but the version on the album still sounds like a song from the 80s. I'm not saying it's a bad song, but it doesn't sound modern at all to me.

I'll believe it when I see it happen. Too many constant rumors... (rolls eyes)

HT should come first.

BTM is a more complete song compared to HT. HT with it's stupid talking segment is just screaming to get killed on the charts IMO.

Personally I think Another Day should be released next, but I'm ok with Mask being next

Who knows, its all rumours at the moment. Wonder what the UK will have.

^I thought Sony UK already said it's gonna be Hollywood Tonight. I think Gary posted the statement.....

BTM is a more complete song compared to HT. HT with it's stupid talking segment is just screaming to get killed on the charts IMO.

I agree with your first sentence 100%, The fact that the bridge was not created or given an okay by Michael bothers me hugely and is part of the reason Im not a fan of Hollywood Tonight, Behind The Mask, to me, tied with Best Of Joy are the best songs from "Michael" and Id be so happy if their released!

By the way, Isnt Mkgenie right about everything?

I agree with your first sentence 100%, The fact that the bridge was not created or given an okay by Michael bothers me hugely and is part of the reason Im not a fan of Hollywood Tonight, Behind The Mask, to me, tied with Best Of Joy are the best songs from "Michael" and Id be so happy if their released!

By the way, Isnt Mkgenie right about everything?

Yup. Always correct info. - Not wrong even once!

Re: China: Hollywood Tonight (confirmed); U.S. and Japan: Behind The Mask as 2nd single (unconfirmed

I'm looking for them...

I also think that "Hollywood Tonight" would be a better choice.

Re: China: Hollywood Tonight (confirmed); U.S. and Japan: Behind The Mask as 2nd single (unconfirmed

As much as I love BTM, I think the better Radio friendly song would have to be Hollywood Tonight, Well I say Sony should put both of them out at the same time..lol

My only con with this is that the music video is guaranteed to be another set of concert footage montages. Lots of Bucharestness not even new shit

That would be a great cover! Reminds me of the "Dangerous" cover.

Back