Charity Claims Dubious Link To Jackson

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
(CBS) Written by CBS News investigative producer Laura Strickler.

CBS News has learned that a charity claiming to be affiliated with Michael Jackson has no connection to his estate.

In the days after Michael Jackson’s death there were numerous news references to the ongoing charitable work of his “Heal the World Foundation”. However Jackson’s charity officially closed its doors in 2004. A new charity also named the “Heal the World Foundation” leaves the impression it is the same charity but CBS News has discovered it has no connection to the pop star’s current estate.

The foundation’s website has been a magnet for fans searching for a Michael Jackson “charity”. In recent weeks the foundation has begun asking for donations from visitors who want to post or read material on the site that is dominated by comments from fans around the world. Records provided by the charity indicate the website received $6,191.57 in donations during the month of July through PayPal.

The charity is run by Melissa Johnson who also runs a home health care business for the elderly called “Angels Embrace” run out of the same office in Palm Desert, California. A call to Johnson’s home was answered with, “Angels Embrace,” by a man who said his name was Chris Johnson.

According to state records the current "Heal the World Foundation" started in March 2008. Federal records show the organization received its IRS tax exempt status in January of 2009. In response to questions about the charitable work of the foundation, Johnson told CBS News, "our only actions have been to protect the property of the charity and console the fans and people who want to pay tribute in their own way."

Johnson obtained the trademark “Heal the World Foundation” according to the US Trademark Office in October 2008. But a month after Jackson’s death she filed for a new trademark, “Michael Jackson Heal the World Foundation”. In her application she notes that she wants to provide, “Charitable services, namely, providing a website that enables children of a school district to communicate with a charity of their choice; Computer services, namely, creating an on-line community for registered users to participate in discussions, get feedback from their peers, form virtual communities, and engage in social networking; Hosting of digital content on the Internet.”

Melissa Johnson also filed three applications to trademark “MJ” in July of 2008 to be used for “athletic apparel,” “audio and video recordings”, “digital media”, “downloadable music”, “video games”, “toys… talking toys… and toy and novelty face masks” according to the US Patent and Trademark office.

But representatives of the Jackson estate say the foundation is not linked, "The Michael Jackson estate has no connection whatsoever to the "Heal the World Foundation” run by Melissa Johnson," said Terry Fahn, a spokesperson for John Branca, the special administrator of the Jackson estate.

Branca has been embroiled in a back and forth debate for the last few weeks with the Jackson family over the estate.

A spokesperson for Katherine Jackson’s attorney L. Londell McMillan could not confirm or deny a connection to Melissa Johnson. Johnson told CBS she has not been in touch with the Jackson family since his death.

The foundation plays up its connection to Michael Jackson. The charity’s Twitter account with 587 followers says, “Heal The World Foundation was started by Pop Star Michael Jackson in 1992. Anyone interested in comitting(sic) themselves to Healing the World is most welcome here”. The site notes that following Jackson’s London tour he was planning to, “live a long and full life, devoted to [Heal the World Foundation] and serving his God and his fellow man, with his fans leading the way”.

“The Jackson management that reports to you now is NOT his management staff of many years,” said Johnson of the current "Heal the World Foundation" in an email to CBS, “They recently replaced a crew of managers and those people had been working with us for years.”

Johnson told CBS News that she worked with the firm of Raymone Bain, Jackson’s former spokesperson, and particularly with Bain's former partner Van Alexander. But a representative for Bain told CBS News that Bain “never worked with Melissa Johnson or with the Heal the World Foundation.” Alexander, who no longer works with Bain, did not respond to messages left requesting comment.

The Heal the World Foundation website boasts an exhaustive list of projects related to Michael Jackson: the Michael Jackson Annual Telethon, Michael’s Army (of volunteers), the MJ Film Company, a newspaper and publishing company, Kid Care Centers, a Michael Jackson movie, “animal projects” and “Learning Centers”.

Additional reporting by Faiza Virani in New York.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/11/cbsnews_investigates/main5234202.shtml

So essentially, someone started a charity with the same name to trick us into donating?
Fuck that!

(CBS)
But representatives of the Jackson estate say the foundation is not linked, "The Michael Jackson estate has no connection whatsoever to the "Heal the World Foundation” run by Melissa Johnson," said Terry Fahn, a spokesperson for John Branca, the special administrator of the Jackson estate.

Branca has been embroiled in a back and forth debate for the last few weeks with the Jackson family over the estate.

A spokesperson for Katherine Jackson’s attorney L. Londell McMillan could not confirm or deny a connection to Melissa Johnson. Johnson told CBS she has not been in touch with the Jackson family since his death.

orhttp://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/11/cbsnews_investigates/main5234202.shtml

This neither confirms or denies whether the charity was connected to Michael or not. After all he fired Branca

Last edited:
This neither confirms or denies whether the charity was connected to Michael or not. After all he fired Branca
Right. But it's sure not sounding too legit at this point, I'd say.

Thanks for the article, btw! I had joined HTWF, so I'm very invested in knowing what's really going on!

It doesn't state too well what the intentions are in that charity nor what the donations are really used for. I do believe it really sounds like Michael's fans are being duped. Sad, just more sponges in the MJ World. You don't start a fund raising foundation without a clear cut purpose and tax exempt status. Oh we are gonna make people happy doesn't cut it. Makes ya wonder what they claimed on taxes in 2008 - though it looks like that's why they had to get the status because someone was questioning it then. Really sad.

We should start our own fund and truly put it where it helps the children of our world. Honestly continue Michael's Humanitarian Legacy.

(CBS) Written by CBS News investigative producer Laura Strickler.

Melissa Johnson also filed three applications to trademark “MJ” in July of 2008 to be used for “athletic apparel,” “audio and video recordings”, “digital media”, “downloadable music”, “video games”, “toys… talking toys… and toy and novelty face masks” according to the US Patent and Trademark office.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/11/cbsnews_investigates/main5234202.shtml

Why in the H**l is she trying to trademark MJ's initials, that don't seem right to me.

What she got to do with it.

If anybody needs to trademark his initials it's the estate.

MJJC Momma- I am in the atgaes of setting up a website that will give the fans oppuurtunities to contribute to charity in memory of Michael. Different projects and such to keep the fans involved, etc.

Is CBS a reliable source of information are they an information source that never once gave disinfo on Michael Jackson and just to remind everyone that Michale Jackson said there was a conspiracy against him and the media did not tell the truth. They did this at the trials and they do not care what stories they run as long as they as senstional. CBS has decided to trash HTWF, like they did to MJ when he was alive.

Keep your hearts and minds open for the truth, I sense an agenda as always where Michael is concerned this time to close HTWF which will also succeed in destroyingthe memory of what Michael was about, and I sense the HTWF is doomed anyway.

HTWF has a very similar peaceful loving energy about it, that I sensed in Michael. An energy that I feel TPTB wanted to stop in Michael

I don't believe in my heart he would have turned his HTWF, what would the reasons be. This work was more important to him than his work as an entertainer. He was set to do a come back, many people have said he had a message about healing the world and love etc, this was also in his messages at christmas. I think it is possible he would have announced his involvement in HTWF then, and poor Melissa is left floundering in his death not knowing what to do and being attacked.

If you read through the forums with an open mind at HTWF you will get a different side to things, rather than the one that is being put out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-OhUogdj8o&feature=fvw

Why in the H**l is she trying to trademark MJ's initials, that don't seem right to me.

To be fair her initials are MJ ie Melissa Johnson, don't believe everything they tell you.

The estate never had anything to do with the original HTWF it was Michael 's Project. The will is also from 2002, and even though he made them every 5 years another one has not been found.

Whether the information is 100% or not it opens the public's eyes to something that they simply didn't know before. Michael has nothing to do with them otherwise the estate would have said so. Michael closed his years ago I was even under the impression these people took it over then and have been running it since. But that is not the case they just opened it last year.

Could be Michael initially had interest in it which may be plausible but it doesn't really look like it went anywhere and now it appears the opportunity is being capitalized on with no clear objective.

It would be interesting to see what Melissa Johnson has to say.

The MJ logo lost its trademark a few years ago for Europe (I think in in early 00), because of Dieter Wiesners merchandise failure (also in connection with HIStory stuff).
And there was an auction, but it turned out that the bidder had been a crazy fan and didnt have the money despite of buying it...!!! :doh:

This is the logo
e6y3v8.jpg

Well, I was expecting her to say something more then that. *shrugs* Not overly impressed but looks as though there's more info on her site and I haven't looked yet.

Johnson obtained the trademark “Heal the World Foundation” according to the US Trademark Office in October 2008. But a month after Jackson’s death she filed for a new trademark, “Michael Jackson Heal the World Foundation”. In her application she notes that she wants to provide, “Charitable services, namely, providing a website that enables children of a school district to communicate with a charity of their choice; Computer services, namely, creating an on-line community for registered users to participate in discussions, get feedback from their peers, form virtual communities, and engage in social networking; Hosting of digital content on the Internet.”

Hell, looks to me like what she is looking for is money to host a big website and forum. And I don't care if her initials ARE MJ - she could still get sued if she uses it for products because it is easily assumed to be Michael. I've seen cases much less confusing concerning names that were successful suits.

It really, really looks to me like someone using Michael's name and fan loyalty to make a buck. Before I send money to ANYTHING I'm gonna know exactly what it's going to be used for.

Back