celebrites share their input on michael

billyworld99

Proud Member
Akon (singer)
He's incredible. He's a genius. Just to be in the same room [with him], I felt everything I wanted to accomplish in life has been achieved....That aura ... that's how incredible that aura is....The way he thinks....some artists think regional, some think national, I was thinking international. He thinks planets! It's on another level!"

[Source: MTV News; January, 2008]

Fred Astaire (dancer & actor)
You are a hell of a mover. Man you really put them on their asses last night. You're an angry dancer. I'm the same way. I used to do the same thing with my cane...You're a hell of a mover!"

[source: Moonwalk]

David Arquette (actor)
I remember when I first saw the Michael Jackson "Thriller" video. I couldn't believe that a guy would go out and put so much into a video, and the zombies and all that stuff. I believe it had a solo impact on my decision to be involved with the "Scream" movies. "

[source: MTV; March 2000]

Dallas Austin (songwriter, producer, worked on 'HIStory')
Working with Michael is a different type of work. You're pressured timewise, but not by creativity or money. So you're left with mad freedom. You'd think he'd be very controlling, but if he likes you enough to work with you, he wants your expertise, not just another Michael Jackson record. "Heal the World" and "Stranger in Moscow" from the HIStory record are, like, the makeup of Michael. I think he's taken on the responsibility to make changes in the world. He's the only real superhero. Think about it."

[source: VIBE magazine; June/July 1995]

Babyface (SINGER, SONGWRITER, PRODUCER)
When God was giving out talent, He gave all of it to Michael Jackson.

[Source: Wikiquote, 2007]

Rick Baker (make-up effects; worked on Thriller video)
Michael was great and very shy. I remember the first time John [Landis] came over to shoot us working on Michael's make-up for his behind-the-scenes stuff - which I wasn't too happy about and Michael wasn't too happy about - Michael was so nervous that, as soon as the cameras came in, he ran off and hid in the bathroom. So different to when he was performing - Thriller was happening during the making of the Motown Anniversary Special, when Michael first did the moonwalk, and one of the guys bought a tape of the show in and said, 'Watch this.' That was him, when he was performing; that was when he came alive.

[Source: British Telegrph; November 2007]

Jennifer Batten (guitarist on several MJ world tours)
He completely changed my life, you know, I was doing the L.A. club scene, just trying to make ends meet and BAM - I'm on a paid vacation around the world having just the time of my life playing in the biggest band in the world. And yeah, I'll always feel an intense gratitude and love for him for that."

[source: Entertainment Tonight; July 16, 1997]

BoyzIIMen (R&B group)
We share his concern for the children who have been innocent victims of war and, who have suffered because of the horrors of war, many of whom are without families, food or homes. We applaud Michael for his sensitivity and efforts."

[source: Universal Records Press Release; July 1999]

Brandy (singer)
Michael Jackson, he is just like; he is the king of it all. Everything that everyone's doing now, he's already done. He's opened a lot of doors for a lot of artists today."

[source: VH1's special '100 Greatest Artists of Rock & Roll'; May 1, 1998]

Naomi Campbell (supermodel, appeared in 'In the Closet' video)
Michael is very involved and on top of everything he puts his name on. He's shy and sweet, considering all he's accomplished, but he's a prankster. When I was doing the video, we had water pistol fights. He's a perfectionist.

Mariah Carey (Singer)
I think that he's amazingly talented. He's somebody that I grew up admiring enormously. Very gifted person.
[Source: Larry King interview; December 2002]

Stephen Colbert (actor, comedian)
Michael Jackson is still the king of pop. He has not abdicated the throne, nor has he been usurped.
[Source: Wikiquote; 2008]

Harriette Cole (Creative Director, Ebony Magazine)
What I loved the most about working with Michael Jackson is how kind he was to everyone. He was gracious to the elevator operator, the guard and the executives in the museum. He made sure to thank each person who was in ear shot when the shoot was over. He was generous and kind. Did some people feel intimidated by him? I don't know if that's the right word. More, I think some people were mesmerized. Some were pinching themselves wondering if they actually were in the presence of the King of Pop."

[Source: Ebony Magazine; December, 2007]

Paula Cole (singer, songwriter)
Can we just give the poor guy a break? It's not funny anymore. The same trying-to-be-cool-sardonic-frustrated-novelist-music-critics still think it's amusing to bash him. Let's remember the amazing work he has given to this world.

[Source: paulacole.com; October, 2002]

Ice Cube (rap artist)
[About the 'Thriller' video:] I was glued, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I would just sit there and wait days and days and days to see the "Thriller" video again. I couldn't wait to see it again from start to finish. "

Macaulay Culkin (actor)
In an interview published in the New York magazine (May7, 2001), actor Macaulay Culkin described Michael Jackson as among his very best friends in the world.

"We had very similar experiences in childhood. We're both going to be 8 years old forever in some place because we never had a chance to be 8 when we actually were....Neverland is still the only place on earth where I feel absolutely, 100 percent comfortable."

Craig David (R&B Singer)
The first record I bought was 'Leave Me Alone' by Michael Jackson. I'm really a huge fan of his. I think I own all of his records. He's one of the reasons I'm here today. His music and artistry had a great impact on me as I was growing up. It made me want to become a performer."

[Source: Planet Jackson; April, 2001]

Dalvin DeGrate (Soul/R&B group 'Jodeci')
Michael is my favorite artist. I formed my harmonies and melodies based on his music."

[source: Billboard; April 2000]

Missy Elliot (rapper)
I don't look at it as he is not the hottest thing any more - I look at what he's done as a groundbreaking artist who opened a lot of doors for black acts. Michael Jackson is still amazing to me. "

[source: Entertainment Weekly; November 1999]

On February 27, 2002 at the Grammy Awards while receiving 'The Michael Jackson Award for Best R&B/Soul or Rap Music Video' for 'Get Ur Freak On':

This is big. I won two Grammys; but (winning) the Michael Jackson award is major...especially for somebody who always wanted...videos to come across on a different level...like Michael."

Eminem (RAPPER)

Of every album I have listened to, the best of the year by far has been Invincible. Michael Jackson deserves a lot more credit than he is getting, one of the most influential performers of all time.

[Source: Wikiquote; 2007]

Karen Faye (MAKE- UP ARTIST)
Michael is a generous, honest, and sensitive human being, filled with amazing insight and the capacity for love. If this is weird, I want to go live on another planet.

Bob Geldof (SINGER, SONGWRITER)
When Michael Jackson sings it is with the voice of angels, and when his feet move, you can see God dancing.

Berry Gordy (FOUNDER OF MOTOWN RECORDS)
Michael I believed in you when you, were a little kid, I believe in you now and I'll never stop believing in you!

Seth Green (Actor)
There are two kinds of people in this world: Michael Jackson fans and losers.

[Source: German magazing, "TV Movie;" 2009]

M.C. Hammer (RAPPER/SINGER)
Just a phenomenal artist, the [work] speaks for itself. You don't go much beyond Michael Jackson when it comes to performing and making good records."

[source: VH1's special "100 Greatest Artists of Rock & Roll"; May 1, 1998]

Mary Hart (co-host of 'Entertainment Tonight')
It's a pretty awesome experience to watch him rehearse. He knows exactly what he wants and how to get it. He's very much in charge."

[source: while visiting tour rehearsals in Pensacola, Florida; February 1988]

Steve Harvey (COMEDIAN, ACTOR)

We're friends. We laugh. We joke around. I remind Michael of where he comes from. He's from Gary, Ind. - it wasn't always Neverland. I love Michael Jackson. I think he's a beautiful human being.

[Source: People.com; September 2003]

Heavy D (label executive, rapped on 'Jam')
I was in California the first time I heard Michael Jackson wanted to record with me. I was, like, Nah, no way, he's too big, it can't be true. Then I got a call from Michael's people at my hotel telling me he was interested. But I still wasn't believing it-I thought they were setting me up for a TV practical jokes show. So me and my partner go to the place, and while we were waiting we were talking and cursing up a storm-I was thinking that if it was a blooper show, they wouldn't be able to use it. Then Michael called and said he was on his way. When he got there he was just, like, `Hey, how ya doin?'
Michael's just as regular as everyone else. We talked about all the normal stuff guys talk about. He's real smart. People forget that he's the most incredible entertainer we've seen in our lifetime. His name is Michael Jackson, not Super Michael Jackson. He makes mistakes just like all of us. My favorite Michael Jackson song is "Music and Me." It's an old one, about him and his music, his love for music, and the time they've had together. It's like a song that would be sung to a girl, but it's all about music. "

Faith Hill (COUNTRY SINGER)
Speaking about her latest favorite moment with her 3 daughters:

Watching them discover the genius of Michael Jackson. They’ve been absolutely obsessed with him; they dress up like Michael and then film themselves — it’s quite incredible!"

[source: celebritybabyscoop.com; Dec. 2009]

Anjelica Huston (ACTRESS)
Speaking about her first meeting with Michael on the set of Captain EO.

I met Michael on the first day of rehearsal, and I was stunned — even though, obviously, I knew his image very well — at how incredibly sweet and how modest and how innocent he was. And fragile too. In person you felt he was almost breakable. But then this thing happened when he would start to work: your heart would beat faster and the hair on your arms and the back of your neck would stick up as he literally took your breath away. I think he was the most electrifying performer I've ever seen."

[Source: Time Magazine; Feb. 2010]

Jimmy Jam (producer, songwriter)
Michael's the most intense person I've worked with. For him, everything is about the music and how to make it better. He also makes work a lot of fun. He's a kid at heart-his office is not like a normal office. He has all the kids' toys. A lot of times we'd be in session, in the middle of playing a video game, and he'd be, like, "Well, we got to do this. But go ahead and finish your game, though-I don't want to mess your game up.
The thing about Michael is his talent. If you put Michael onstage without the explosions and the other dancers, he'll still command the stage.
There's a song called "Childhood" on the new album, and I think for the first time, Michael has put a lot of his feelings on record. That song, for right now, defines where he's at-the way he feels about himself and the way people feel about him. "

Rodney Jerkins (Record Producer, worked on Invincible)
He's real cool and real humble. I had a blast working with him.

[Source: Q Magazine; February 2002]

Elton John (singer, songwriter)
He is a very smart cookie, Michael. He knows what he wants, he knows what he is doing. I have nothing but admiration. Also, he is a very kind person."

Quincy Jones (RECORD PRODUCER, WORKED ON tHRILLER AND BAD)
Michael is the wisest and at the same time most naive person I know.

And Michael, on Billie Jean, he had an intro you could shave on it was so long. I said, 'It's too long, we gotta get to the melody quicker.' He said, 'But that's the jelly! That's what makes me wanna dance.' Now, when Michael Jackson tells you that's what makes him want to dance, the rest of us had to shut up.

[Source: British Telegraph; November 2007]

Beyonce Knowles (singer, actress)
Stevie Wonder, Prince, Michael Jackson.... whenever I meet them, I get so nervous I don't know what to say. Michael Jackson, I was so excited, I was jumping up and down!

[Source: BBC Radio1; July, 2003]

Lenny Kravitz (SINGER)
Working with Michael Jackson was probably the best recording experience of my life. He was totally cool, absolutely professional and a beautiful, beautiful guy. And let’s not forget, he's a musical genius.

Queen Latifah (singer)
I can think back to when I was little and we just loved the JACKSON 5's ABC. We would just dance in the living room, my brother and I and my mom.

He's like the greatest entertainer of all time. I'm looking at his influence in Usher and Justin Timberlake - these guys are doing Michael Jackson moves and they just kind of hooked him up for now.

As a performer, he influenced most people and showed many people how to do things differently. Watching his videos like THRILLER and BEAT IT... The first time I saw that walkway light up in BILLY JEAN, I was like, `Oh my God,' and then seeing him performing it on stage. There's nothing that he hasn't done that hasn't amazed me."

[Source: Contactmusic.com; March 2005]

Sean Lennon (singer, son of John Lennon)
If it wasn't for Michael Jackson, I probably wouldn't make music now. Thriller changed my life completely."

[source: 'US' magazine; October 1998]

LL Cool J (RAPPER, ACTOR)
My feelings about Michael Jackson are simple: I think that he's a human being like everyone else and I'm a huge fan of him.

Ricky Martin (singer)
Whoa, talking about Mr. Jackson, all my respects. He definitely has a lot to do with my career. He's the legend; El Maestro, you know? From him, we learn a lot, and definitely he will always be a part of my life. "

[source: MTV USA; November 1999]

All that I know comes from Michael Jackson.

omarion (singer)
MJ is the King! He is the major influence in my artistry.

[Source: Michael's YouTube page, December 2007]

Teddy Pendegrass (musician)
People like Michael come along once in history. He's a bonafide superstar."

Lisa Marie Presley (singer, daughter of elvis presley, michael's ex- wife)
Michael Jackson is the King of Pop.

Rhymefest (rapper, Hip - hop Artist)
Talking about the release of his new Michael Jackson homage mix CD entitled 'Man in the Mirror.'

This was very important to me, seeing as how Michael Jackson is responsible for a revolution in music that took place when he dropped a f**king bomb on the planet called Thriller."

[Source: SOHHcom; January 2008]

SIR CLIFF RICHARD (BRITISH POP STAR)
I don't think there's anyone who could approach Michael Jackson for sheer brilliance. Every song is perfect, every performance magnificent. I don't think what's gone on since should taint the music - you judge the record on its own terms."
[Source: contactmusic.com; December 2005]

Read what other stars (listed alphabetically) had to say about Michael:

Rhymefest (rapper, Hip - hop Artist)
Talking about the release of his new Michael Jackson homage mix CD entitled 'Man in the Mirror.'

This was very important to me, seeing as how Michael Jackson is responsible for a revolution in music that took place when he dropped a f**king bomb on the planet called Thriller."

[Source: SOHHcom; January 2008]

SIR CLIFF RICHARD (BRITISH POP STAR)
I don't think there's anyone who could approach Michael Jackson for sheer brilliance. Every song is perfect, every performance magnificent. I don't think what's gone on since should taint the music - you judge the record on its own terms."

Lionel Richie (Singer, songwriter)
Mike is a good friend and very misunderstood....He just doesn't have a norm. At seven he had a tutor. At seven he was being chased down the street by women. He's as crazy as can be but a good crazy. Where most people go out and get a dog, he buys an elephant or a giraffe, and if I gave Sophie, my four-year-old, $90 million and said, 'Go buy a pet,' she'd probably bring home an elephant too.

[Source: UK Times; December 2002]

Joan Rivers (Comedian)
During the 1984 Grammy Award telecast, comedian Joan Rivers joined singer Boy George in reading the Grammy voting rules and she stated:

The reason we're reading the rules is so that all the losers will know why they lost to Michael Jackson."

[Source: The Times; Feb. 1984]

KELLY ROWLAND (DESTINY'S CHILD)
To finally meet someone whose music we've grown up listening to blew us away! Michael was one of the nicest people we've ever met - he came up to us singing the lyrics to BOOTYLICIOUS! We just stood there like dumbstruck fans with our mouths open in shock - I think we may have even screamed!"

Brooke Shields (Actress)
I met him when I was 13. There were a handful of child stars at the time - actress Jodie Foster, Michael and myself among them - and we were friends because we shared an understanding of how difficult life was in the public eye. When we were together, we were in a safe place. We could be ourselves."

[Source: Contactmusic.com; May 2005]

Sisqo (singer)
In an interview with Billboard magazine, pop star Sisqo was asked whom he would like to duet with in a live performance. He answered:

Michael Jackson! I'd just love to work with Michael, period. So, Michael, if you're reading this, call me!"

[Source: Planet Jackson; June, 2000]

Brooke Shields (Actress)
I met him when I was 13. There were a handful of child stars at the time - actress Jodie Foster, Michael and myself among them - and we were friends because we shared an understanding of how difficult life was in the public eye. When we were together, we were in a safe place. We could be ourselves."

[Source: Contactmusic.com; May 2005]

Sisqo (singer)
In an interview with Billboard magazine, pop star Sisqo was asked whom he would like to duet with in a live performance. He answered:

Michael Jackson! I'd just love to work with Michael, period. So, Michael, if you're reading this, call me!"

[Source: Planet Jackson; June, 2000]

Slash (Rock guitarist, played on 'Dangerous' and 'HIStory')
He's a fucking brilliant entertainer, a complete natural."

The thing about Michael is he's hands down one of the most professional, most talented performers I have ever worked with. All the brouhaha aside, when it comes down to it you can have 60 choreographed dancers up there and you know which one Michael is.

I worked with Michael on his ‘Dangerous’ album in 1990 and in my mind he’ll always be a hero.”

[Source: London Lite Newspaper; March 2008]

Will Smith
In May 2002, during an Interview for the Australian tv show 'A Current Affair' the actor talks about being with Michael on the set of 'Men In Black 2':

Listen, Michael Jackson is really funny. To have time to spend with him and actually be around him, he is not what...people think he is. Michael Jackson's like a black belt too, so he will kick your ass if you say somethin' about him. Yes, Michael Jackson kicked over my head."

Steven Spielberg (MOVIE DIRECTOR)
He's sort of a fawn in a burning forest. It's a nice place where Michael comes from. I wish we could all spend some time in his world.

Bruce Swedien (audio engineer)
All this stuff about Michael being a weirdo — it's a pile of goddamn... I've recorded a whole lot of these pop-musicians and this guy's the straightest of the goddamn lot.

I'd be proud to have that kid (Michael) as my son any day.

Elizabeth Taylor (actress)
Everything about Michael is truthful. And there is something in him that is so dear and childlike - not childish, but childlike - that we both have and identify with. "

[source: Talk magazine; October 1999]

Justin Timberlake (Singer)
I had a couple meetings with the man himself, and he's an extraordinary artist. He kicked me out of the meeting 'cause I wouldn't stop asking for autographs!"

[Source: SonicNet.com; April, 2001]

Elizabeth Taylor (actress)
Everything about Michael is truthful. And there is something in him that is so dear and childlike - not childish, but childlike - that we both have and identify with. "

[source: Talk magazine; October 1999]

Justin Timberlake (Singer)
I had a couple meetings with the man himself, and he's an extraordinary artist. He kicked me out of the meeting 'cause I wouldn't stop asking for autographs!"

[Source: SonicNet.com; April, 2001]

T-Pain (Hip - Hop Artist)
It was great just meeting Michael Jackson. Just them calling saying, 'Hey we got to push your studio time back because Michael Jackson wants to meet you.' Just that moment right there was the highlight of my life."

[Source: Voice of America; January 2008]

Chris Tucker (actor, comedian)
Well, you know, I like all of Michael Jackson's stuff, he's my man. I think that he's the greatest entertainer ever because he just brings so much energy to the screen. Creatively, he took it to a whole other level."

[Source: Mr Showbiz; August, 2001]

Usher (R&B singer)
I study legends because I want to be a legend - Frank Sinatra, Fred Estaire....Michael Jackson. That's who inspires me. "

[source: USA Today; October 9, 1997]

Alek Wek (Supermodel)
Michael Jackson really is the king of pop. When my friends talk about childhood, I've never heard of any cartoons or TV they remember. The only thing we share is Michael Jackson. That's how far his music travelled - to a remote village on the other side of the world. When the militias came to Wau, they would blast out 'Thriller' as they moved down the dirt streets."

[source: The Observer Magazine; November 2007]

Alek Wek (Supermodel)
Michael Jackson really is the king of pop. When my friends talk about childhood, I've never heard of any cartoons or TV they remember. The only thing we share is Michael Jackson. That's how far his music travelled - to a remote village on the other side of the world. When the militias came to Wau, they would blast out 'Thriller' as they moved down the dirt streets."

Will . I . am (singer, producer)
Working with Michael Jackson has been probably like, one of the greatest experiences in my career right now. As a musician and a person in the music industry, there's these livels of success...like, "oh you're platinum" or ooh you had a song at number one on the radio for six weeks," you know. Or "Dude, you got 3 Grammy nominations," or oh, you're playing the Grammys!" And they are all pretty much the same kinda thing. But then there's like, "You worked with Michael Jackson." And that one, just for me and my generation, it's like, bigger than a Grammy. 'Cause a Grammy is a Grammy, right? It's a trophy. And it's dope to be acknowledged by that committee...but, Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson!"

[Source: Michael's YouTube page; December 2007]

When I finally sat down with him, I was nervous. I couldn't be the way I would be like when I'm with Justin or Nas. I've idolised Michael my whole life.”

[Source: rwdmag.com; Januaray, 2008]

Hype Williams (video director)
The choreography [in Thriller] is tremendous. It's a new appreciation of how dance can move a music video. He wasn't just a tremendous artist, tremendous performer, it was amazing how ingenious he was to foresee that music video could be anything you wanted in the beginning."

pharrell Williams (producer, performer)
Speaking about the song 'Billie Jean':

That song was incredible. I wish and aspire to make something like that one day.

Alek Wek (Supermodel)

Will . I . am (singer, producer)
Working with Michael Jackson has been probably like, one of the greatest experiences in my career right now. As a musician and a person in the music industry, there's these livels of success...like, "oh you're platinum" or ooh you had a song at number one on the radio for six weeks," you know. Or "Dude, you got 3 Grammy nominations," or oh, you're playing the Grammys!" And they are all pretty much the same kinda thing. But then there's like, "You worked with Michael Jackson." And that one, just for me and my generation, it's like, bigger than a Grammy. 'Cause a Grammy is a Grammy, right? It's a trophy. And it's dope to be acknowledged by that committee...but, Michael Jackson is Michael Jackson!"

When I finally sat down with him, I was nervous. I couldn't be the way I would be like when I'm with Justin or Nas. I've idolised Michael my whole life.”

[Source: rwdmag.com; Januaray, 2008]

Hype Williams (video director)
The choreography [in Thriller] is tremendous. It's a new appreciation of how dance can move a music video. He wasn't just a tremendous artist, tremendous performer, it was amazing how ingenious he was to foresee that music video could be anything you wanted in the beginning."

pharrell Williams (producer, performer)
Speaking about the song 'Billie Jean':

That song was incredible. I wish and aspire to make something like that one day.

Amy Winehouse (singer)
Speaking with a reporter about who her favorite artists are, she said this about Michael Jackson:

Well, he is the one person I truly believe - I mean musician wise - who I truly believe is magical."

[Source: Big Picture; November 2008

Stevie Wonder (SINGER, SONGWRITER)
Michael's a natural. He's a very hard worker and a super performer. But most of all he's a real human being.

Last edited:
Thanks for these. Its nice to see so many quotes from pre June 25th when we had every celeb declare their love for him.

Thank you. It makes me cry reading all of them. I have to say the Eminem one surprised me. I didn't know he listened to Invincible.

Back