CD Review: J5 - Live At The Forum

Marty In LA

Proud Member
Universal Music Group has produced a limited edition double CD entitled 'Jackson 5 Live At The Forum'. This project will be formally released in the U.S.A. on June 29, 2010 through certain retailers. Digital downloads will be available beginning June 22nd, but Hip-O-Select has exclusively been shipping early bird orders this week at www.hip-oselect.com.

In this thread we'll review the project and discuss its quality, value, impact and place among MJ's overall musical catalog.

Marty In LA

j5latf-1.jpg

j5latf-2.jpg

j5latf-3.jpg

j5latf-4.jpg

Marty In LA

Last edited:
'J5 Live At The Forum' is a 2 CD project focusing primarily on live performances recorded at the Los Angeles Forum (actually Inglewood, California) dated June 20, 1970 (Disc 1) and August 26, 1972 (Disc 2). The package includes fold-out post cards with black & white images of Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Michael on the front, their names, birthdates, and astrological signs on the back. A 24 page booklet is also included with an essay by Mark Anthony Neal.

The 06/20/70 show opens with energetic performances of 'I Want You Back', Dave Mason's 'Feelin' Alright', and 'Who's Lovin' You'. From the opening song it's clear that what we're hearing isn't just the J5, it's Jacksonmania at its' finest. Adding to the excitement little MJ asks the audience to 'say A-B-C one time in a row...you got it!?' It's these fan reactions that make Disc 1 so much fun to listen to, the enthusiasm on stage is matched by same level among those in attendance.

Then there's the James Brown song 'There Was A Time'. I couldn't help but imagining an 11 year old MJ slipping and sliding across the stage just like the Godfather Of Soul! Diana Ross (who was at this show) is given proper respect during the J5's terrific version of 'Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Again', in which after MJ introduces his band members (including his brothers), closes it's funky self with the boys singing acapella 'Diana Ross...thank you'. The live show ends on a high level with the J5's third number 1 song, 'The Love You Save'.

Disc 1 is 53 minutes long and includes the bonus track 'Mama's Pearl' recorded live in Indianapolis from 1971.

The 08/26/72 show opens with the same J5 energy and power in 'Brand New Thing', the medley of 'I Want You Back/ABC/Mama's Pearl' and 'Sugar Daddy', but we can sense something different in this show, namely MJ's voice. He was three days away from his 14th birthday, and we can clearly hear MJ entering puberty now, his deepening voice is particularly noticeable during 'I'll Be There'.

Jermaine has a big part in the 1972 show with four solo songs, 'Bridge Over Troubled Water', 'I Found That Girl', 'I'm So Happy' and 'That's How Love Goes'. MJ also has a solo spot with 'Ben', 'Rockin' Robin', 'Got To Be There' and his cover of Bill Wither's 'Ain't No Sunshine' is one of this projects best moments. A 10 year old Randy can be heard playing congas on 'Goin' Back To Indiana' and 'I Wanna Be Where You Are'.

Disc 2 runs 75 minutes and includes the previously released 1972 Chicago performance of 'I Wanna Be Where You Are'.

Finally I have to pay Producer Harvey Weinger and Sound Mixer Kevin Reeves high compliments for making this project a reality. In particular the sound quality of the vocals are excellent for 40 year old analog recordings. I appreciate the time spent to create this projects fidelity, clarity and balanced sound throughout.

Marty In LA

These live sets should make all Jackson fans appreciate the incredible talents they had at such young ages. By June 1970 the J5 were already seasoned veterans of live performance having travelled thousands of miles inside and outside the U.S. promoting their music. It's just remarkable to hear what a 'well oiled machine' they were on stage, the boys don't miss a beat here, their timing and in-between song banter reflects just how well trained they were at Motown, they really could deliver the same excitement that we find on their vinyl albums.

For comparison in 2006 UMG released the limited edition CD 'In Japan!', a live show recorded in 1973. The truth is 'Live At The Forum' blows that CD out of the water. While Japanese fans quietly and obediently listened, the Los Angeles fans were euphoric, and it augments the J5's on stage energy.

Is 'J5: Live At The Forum' worth buying? It should be remembered that UMG has also listed this as a 'Limited Release' (hip-oselect.com has previously stated that only 8000 copies would be pressed). This project is an instant collectors' item, so don't wait to get it, it'll occupy a special place in MJ's music catalog, namely accurately capturing 'Jacksonmania' in all it's glory.

Marty In LA

Thanks for this - looks great. Just need to find somewhere that's selling it in the UK.

at almost $40 I think I'll skip it. Thanks for the review though!

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to have it! :woohoo:

Back