Casting For Live-Action Star Wars TV Series Begins

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date

Dangerous Incorporated

Guests
A live-action TV series set in the Star Wars universe is now casting, according to MTV News.

Actresss Rose Byrne of the Nicolas Cage thriller "Knowing" recently indicated that Lucas is seeking actors to for the series. "A lot of my friends have been auditioning for it," she said.

The show will explore the undocumented time period between "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" and "Star Wars" (Episode IV - A New Hope), featuring minor characters seen in episodes one through three. Much of the action will focus on the rise of the Rebel Alliance as it struggles to thwart the Empire and its Stormtroopers. However, don't expect appearances by Darth Vader and the Jedi.

Lucas will shoot a year's worth of episodes before seeking a network for the series. This is the same production tactic he used with the animated feature film "Clones Wars" and the Cartoon Network series that followed.

Work on the scripts for the live-action show began in 2008, according to Lucas. But with casting just now underway, and "Clone Wars" demanding creative attention, it appears fans will endure a long wait.

Byrne, who played Dormé in "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones" and was nominated for a Golden Globe for her work on FX's "Damages," will not audition for the series. "I'm on a show," Byrne said. "I don't know if I look that good in space.

"My experience [on 'Attack of the Clones'] was wonderful. George is a great guy. I was just there for a week, standing behind Natalie [Portman] looking very demure and supportive. 95% of the fan mail I get is from 'Star Wars' and I've never seen them."

News of the live-action series broke in 2005 while Lucas was promoting "Revenge of the Sith." He will write and produce the first season before relinquishing the creative reins. At that point, he will remain aboard as executive producer.

"It's a much darker, much more character-based series, much more adult ..." producer Rick McCallum said in an interview at Celebration Europe. "It's something that can go on for years and years."

McCallum's description of a darker "Star Wars" universe presents an interesting clash of tones. Can Lucas craft a gritty atmosphere in the same universe as Jar Jar Binks?

Regardless, Lucas is hooked on the challenge of TV. "I love television," he said in a ign.com interview. "It's a lot more fun than features. If one show doesn't work, oh well, next week you're on to the next! For me, the future is in television."

Source: IMDB

Back