Carole Bayer Sager Feat. MICHAEL JACKSON

Lolo MJJ Fan

Proud Member
Did you know that on Carole Bayer Sager's just-released album (Sometimes Late at Night), there's a featuring with Michael on track 2?
I didn't know he was on that album! so cool

from Carole's book "They're Playing Our Song":

BURT'S PUBLICIST TOLD HIM that Michael Jackson wanted to have dinner with us . I had met Michael in 1979 when he was not yet twenty - one years old . He was a few years away from becoming the King of Pop , but he was already a genius . Off the Wall , the first album of the
brilliant trilogy produced by music legend Quincy Jones , spawned four huge hits . I was thrilled to have a song on that record . Quincy had heard " It's the Falling in Love , " which I wrote with David Foster on my second album , and suggested that Michael record it . The four of us went to Dominick's , an industry steak house . Michael spoke in a high breathy voice , soft and gentle and melodic . There was something very childlike about him , but he had , even at his age , an encyclopedic knowledge about the songs , writers , and artists that had come before him , including all of Burt's . " What are you up to these days ? ” he asked me . “ Are you writing ? ” " I'm making a record with Burt . He's producing , I'm singing , and he's doing all the orchestrations , ” I answered proudly . " That sounds so nice , " he said , smiling . His voice always went up at the end of sentences . “ I would love to come by and hear what you guys are doing . " " You're welcome anytime , Michael , " I said . " We're in the studio every afternoon . The Record Plant . " When he came by , I was recording a song called " Just Friends . ” He listened for a while , then asked , " Do you mind if I play around with something ? " We didn't mind at all - Burt admired him as much as I did , which was saying something . Michael took Paul Jackson , a wonderful guitarist who was playing guitar on the session , into the bathroom with him to work on another concept of the track and came back with a totally different arrangement with a whole new feel that even Burt said was better than what he had done . Somehow I got up the courage to ask him if he would sing with me on the record . " Sure , " he said , " let's do it . Let's work it out . Let me hear you sing it . " We started to trade lines , and he built some background parts where he was doubling his own voice to give it more thickness and texture in the musical track . I was thrilled . Michael Jackson and I were singing together . It was mindblowing to me .

Woah what an interesting story! So did Michael’s arrangement end up on her album? He didn’t get a credit if it did which doesn’t bother me but I wanna know!

His vocals on this track are clear as crystal, very very beautifully sung. In that time he had the best vocals period.

Woah what an interesting story! So did Michael’s arrangement end up on her album? He didn’t get a credit if it did which doesn’t bother me but I wanna know!
Wiki lists Michael as co-producer on the track but, yeah, nothing specific about the arrangement. Most of the tracks don't have info re the arrangements, tbf. Plus, arranging is one of the things the producer will do if they haven't recruited someone specific for that role for a particular song. So I guess he did get his credit.

His vocals on this track are clear as crystal, very very beautifully sung. In that time he had the best vocals period.
(y)

Last edited:
Is it just me or was he loosely contributing to other artists music more often in his early 20s?
He sang on that obscure band’s reggae song, just friends, You’re the one, centipede, muscles, the man etc.

I think for those who doubt his composing abilities these are good showcases to how good a pop song writer he was

Is it just me or was he loosely contributing to other artists music more often in his early 20s?
No, I have often thought this. It wouldn't be hard to gather together the info but I'm too easily distracted so I never get around to it. But I'm convinced this is an accurate statement. I know there's stuff on the board about backing vocals he did with various people bc I posted stuff there. But there's other stuff that he did, as you say.

He sang on that obscure band’s reggae song, just friends, You’re the one, centipede, muscles, the man etc.
(y)

I think for those who doubt his composing abilities these are good showcases to how good a pop song writer he was
Exactly so! :)

ok this is random but I love your shock mixed in with enthusiasm!! I live for crazy high energy and enthusiasm. I don't know why I felt the urge to say that but I just did!
Oh, bless you!

You would love my post history then 🤣

90% of what I write on here is the screaming-crying emoji translated into human language lol.

Back