Can you read sheet music?

Can you read sheet music?

• yes

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters
No, I never took music class anyways, they're hard for me to understand.

I'm no expert at it, but I can read the notes. I was in Choir all through high school and we learned some there. Then I took piano lessons for a couple of years as an adult and I learned quite a bit more.

yes, I play a few instruments and I think it's much easier to learn an instrument if you can read music

This post kinda reminded me that ridiculous question lawyers asked Michael in the Dangerous Deposition 1994.
L-"Can you read sheet music Mr. Jackson?

M-"No, I don't. I don't think it's necessary"

:lol:

Neither do I!

No, but i wished i had! They are hard to learn if you don't really have a "musical ear", but for those who have it, i think that is very simple!

If people were introduced to sheet music without fear and "oh Gooood, this is sooooo difficult", they would learn it a lot faster.

I learned it as a child maybe 2 years after learning to read, it's not rocket science. If you play an instrument, it can be introduced so naturally that it will seem to you as logical and second nature after a while if done right.

They should have asked him in that deposition if he can WRITE sheet music, ie., "are you capable of correctly writing down what you hear in your head"- 'cause that's an entirely different league again from being able to read sheet music. In his case he found amazing ways to bring his music into the world without being able to- I'm still blown away how did that.

Now imagine how it would be if he would have written down the stuff he heard in his head- like the classical stuff, when he relied on someone to play if for him.

I still can't get over the fact that we lost him when he still had so much art coming to him- and us. :no: (next to the fact that he loses out on being next to his children physically to see them grow up, boo)

This post kinda reminded me that ridiculous question lawyers asked Michael in the Dangerous Deposition 1994.
L-"Can you read sheet music Mr. Jackson?

M-"No, I don't. I don't think it's necessary"

:lol:

Neither do I!

Same here :lol:

I still can't get over the fact that we lost him when he still had so much art coming to him- and us. :no: (next to the fact that he loses out on being next to his children physically to see them grow up, boo)

I know :sad: :boohoo:

I can technically read sheet music, however, I cannot read it well. It's been ages since I've attempted, and I've forgotten a lot of things.

I can read very basic stuff. I tried learning years ago when I was teaching myself guitar and piano. But I haven't played in a very long time.

I learnt it when I learnt to play the violin but have forgotten some of it now. Would probably be able to pick it up if someone put it in front of me though. I always prefered to use my ear anyway.

I learn't I think 4 years ago when I started learning keyboards, but I haven't looked at any sheet music since so I might not be as good as I ued to be :lol:

Yes, I learned how to play the piano. I didn't realize how valuable it can be to learn to play musical instruments back then, but I really appreciate the whole experience now.

Yes! Piano, Clarinet, and Voice. I can kick anyone's ass on sight reading vocal music, but I've gotten pretty weak at my piano sight reading skills. I tend to play by ear nowadays, which also comes very easy for me.

And I love Mike to DEATH, and his musical ear and genius, but no matter how much he thought it was "unnecessary" for him to be able to read music...I bet you if he did learn, his genius would have exploded even more so! In the end, those little musical notes are the words for which we use to musically speak to one another. Just as words are for books and reading, notes are for playing and singing. It's our musical literacy.

I used to be able to... It's all left me since I stopped taking piano lessons. I still play, just by ear. I prefer it, it's gratifying working something out just by hearing it :)

Back